Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I thought the N64 was a pretty good console aside from the lack of games on release, I still remembers favorites like:

Mario64
Goldeneye
Starfox
Smash Bros
Banjoe-Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Wave Race
Mario Party
Turok
Ocarina Of Time
Majora's Mask
DK64
DK Racing
1080 Snowboarding
Blast Corps

I feel like Xbox is worse off when you consider only it's exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

chglcu posted:

The thing has three hand holds and bits you have to use at the same time in three separate areas. It’s completely idiotic.

That's a good point and completely true

See, I can make stuff up too

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Tetrabor posted:

I thought the N64 was a pretty good console aside from the lack of games on release, I still remembers favorites like:

Mario64
Goldeneye
Starfox
Smash Bros
Banjoe-Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Wave Race
Mario Party
Turok
Ocarina Of Time
Majora's Mask
DK64
DK Racing
1080 Snowboarding
Blast Corps

I feel like Xbox is worse off when you consider only it's exclusives.

about half of them don't really hold up after time, as much as I wish that weren't the case.

Though I forgot about Starfox64. That game is great and totally holds up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

Pretty sure Golden Eye also had a 'bizzare alternate' scheme that's actually what we use nowadays too.

It allowed twin stick controls but you needed two controllers to do it

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
As a rpg loving kid that only had N64 i played the poo poo outta trash like quest 64 and aidyn chronicles

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the problem with n64 is everything had to be 3d and that was a terrible gimmick

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Rutibex posted:

the problem with n64 is everything had to be 3d and that was a terrible gimmick

same with Playstation though and playstation 1 rules

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
First gen 3D in general was a miserable time. They'd just reached the peak of spritework only to throw it all away and start over.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

First gen 3D in general was a miserable time. They'd just reached the peak of spritework only to throw it all away and start over.

:agreed:

Fortunately things got better.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Seriously. In that generation everything got worse. lovely, blocky, blurry graphics. lovely controls because only a few games managed to invent a passable control scheme for 3d. lovely everything else because 3d was enough for a game to sell like mad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

deep dish peat moss posted:

They're the only CRPGs I have ever played that actually feel like they are about the roleplaying aspect and developing a character who is going on a grand adventure that includes more than the usual videogame trappings of "pick good or evil, cast strong spell on enemy, gently caress your companions and read linear narrative". They're also the only good CRPGs that have even attempted injecting anything more than what was found in Baldur's Gate 1 into the mix in the form of adding other systems to engage with the world and plot, like kingdom or crusade management, even if they're not great. They are the only contemporary CRPGs that do not have "streamline and simplify" as a cornerstone design philosophy which owns. They both do fun and non-stereotypical things with alignment and morality and they just feel like they were designed with a kind of love that goes beyond sales figures. They are the only CRPGs that have ever successfully implemented both Real Time With Pause and tabletop-authentic turn based modes that can be switched between on the fly which gives you the best of both worlds - fun turn-based tactical fights for things that are difficult and breezing through in real time for the things that aren't. They have more content packed into them than any other CRPG I can think of and they are truly an evolution of the isometric CRPG genre.

But they are hella dense and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to put 100+ hours into one of them to make it to the end of character creation.

They are absolute dogshit.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you aren't spending too many hours making dick jokes and chasing Boblin the goblin you aren't really simulating any sort of role-playing games tbh

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

chglcu posted:

The thing has three hand holds and bits you have to use at the same time in three separate areas. It’s completely idiotic.

You've never actually used an N64 controller before, have you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think you'll find that the best console is the Atari 2600 because it's the one I had when I was a small child. That's just science.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

For all that people poo poo on the n64 controller fir needing 3 hands I can only think of 3 times I ever even looked at the dpad handle:

1) pokemon stadium
2) Kirby 64
3) I was feeling saucy in smash

It should still be made fun of, but not for the reason everyone dies. Poor little dpad got absolutely crushed by the analog stick

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

only Turok understood how to use the controller and at the time everyone thought it was crazy and impossible. You moved and strafed with the c-buttons and looked with the stick, which seems normal now but was super weird at the time.

no the best n64 contriols were dual-wielding gamepads in goldeneye 64 so you could have a stick to move and a stick to look. this is true because the n64 gamepad was a trainwreck

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

For all that people poo poo on the n64 controller fir needing 3 hands I can only think of 3 times I ever even looked at the dpad handle:

1) pokemon stadium
2) Kirby 64
3) I was feeling saucy in smash

It should still be made fun of, but not for the reason everyone dies. Poor little dpad got absolutely crushed by the analog stick

There are a surprising number of games that used the Dpad over the analog stick as the primary input, and they were all universally garbage.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

about half of them don't really hold up after time, as much as I wish that weren't the case.

Though I forgot about Starfox64. That game is great and totally holds up.

the biggest impediment to me playing old N64 games is that Microsoft salted the earth when they decided to put the colors and letters on the xbox controllers in places that contradict the nintendo scheme. So now after 20 years of playing games with xbox button prompts it doesn't matter if the N64 prompts you to press A or green, it will always wind up being the wrong button according to your xbox gamepad muscle memory. Made worse if you're emulating on a modern gamepad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

same with Playstation though and playstation 1 rules

wrong! PS1 embraced high res sprites in many games, which is why it is the superior system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiVf2VfUxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylnB3dJOC6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7GXOjlshqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbucP-xx_f4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

the biggest impediment to me playing old N64 games is that Microsoft salted the earth when they decided to put the colors and letters on the xbox controllers in places that contradict the nintendo scheme. So now after 20 years of playing games with xbox button prompts it doesn't matter if the N64 prompts you to press A or green, it will always wind up being the wrong button according to your xbox gamepad muscle memory. Made worse if you're emulating on a modern gamepad.

Nintendo now just uses the cardinal direction on the pad instead of the lettering for a ton of their stuff now. Just a picture of the buttons or dpad with the needed button highlighted.

The hell is this list without the otherwise kind of bad especially in the US where it was made bad on purpose in translation because certain people liked to gently caress up every single one of the games they imported Silhouette Mirage???

And you know, Symphony of the Night

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

poverty goat posted:

Except maybe not if you don't own an xbox? I went from logitech controllers to ps4's thing for my PC, they've been the same shape for over 20 years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Nintendo now just uses the cardinal direction on the pad instead of the lettering for a ton of their stuff now. Just a picture of the buttons or dpad with the needed button highlighted.

The hell is this list without the otherwise kind of bad especially in the US where it was made bad on purpose in translation because certain people liked to gently caress up every single one of the games they imported Silhouette Mirage???

And you know, Symphony of the Night

:thunk:
hmmm this seems like a pretty fun game "REFLECTOR!". Kind of reminds me of the only good N64 game (Mischief Makers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEV_Ro00XI4

yeah i guess Symphony of the Night is good too

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Serephina posted:

Except maybe not if you don't own an xbox? I went from logitech controllers to ps4's thing for my PC, they've been the same shape for over 20 years.

The last console I owned for games was the N64 but the xbox gamepad has been the gold standard for PC games since the 360. I did use a DS4 on PC for years and only at the very end of that did actual playstation prompts start showing up in the games. Mostly I had to use DS4Windows to emulate an xbox gamepad and suffer the xbox prompts. I'm still a little shaky on the playstation pizza buttons and have to draw it out in my head sometimes to remember, but those xbox prompts are baked into my hands now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
hmmm this seems like a pretty fun game "REFLECTOR!". Kind of reminds me of the only good N64 game (Mischief Makers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEV_Ro00XI4

yeah i guess Symphony of the Night is good too

The Japanese release isn't bad (note, I've never played it, just comparison to the US one) but the US version arbitrarily nerfed a lot of things, increased damage, and made money harder to get and things more expensive because Working Designs never saw a game they didn't like to make worse for no reason. In addition to their infamous "make enemies deal more damage and move faster and the player weaker" thing they did in every single game, they also did things like the ending cutscene in Magic Knight Rayearth is identical to the original, except it has been obviously re-recorded somehow at a lower quality, appearing as though a dev saved it to VHS then used the VHS copy to put back into the game because ???

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The N64 controller was terrible, agreed as the worst controller ever. Beyond the stupidity of the 3 pronged design, the analog stick was awful; sure it was the first controller with a stick, but then the Dual Shock came out with two. Also unlike the Dual Shock it had only two shoulder buttons, so you had use face buttons for more things, having to get to them all with your thumbs versus getting extra help from the shoulder buttons with your other fingers. And then only having one thumb to hit those buttons due to the stick placement, comparing again to the PS1 where you had D-Pad access as well for other functions. It's telling that even in its heyday devs cooked up bizarre control schemes, like the already mentioned two-controller setup for Goldeneye, to try and make use of that stupid thing.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The GameCube controller, on the other hand, was loving ace

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Popoto posted:

The GameCube controller, on the other hand, was loving ace

the dpad was too small

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only bad controller is the duke

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only bad controller is the duke

the duke looked at the dreamcast controller and said, "let's add a thumbstick for halo, get better analog sticks, and then triple the volume of the controller"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Barudak posted:

There are a surprising number of games that used the Dpad over the analog stick as the primary input, and they were all universally garbage.

iirc all the aki wrestling games used d-pad for movement and those were great for when friends were over

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Why do so called designers keep putting 'tail the target without being spotted' missions in games. Why do they make the target randomly turn around without warning and why do they make you instantly fail and reset the mission (which is five loving minutes long) when they spot you.
If you are a lead game designer and someone tries to turn in a 'tail the target without being spotted' mission in your game, demote them back to the animation rigging department on the spot.

(it was oakli in breath of the wild)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Gamers are loving stupid and don't value their time, and making you lose for arbitrary reasons makes the gameplay time longer thus content

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Bad inventory systems and easy to fail missions that require you to spend a lot of time to come back from the last savepoint are thus very good design as they add time to playthrough

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only good controller is the duke

Ftfy.

Seriously though, it's got electrolytic caps inside it. Wtf? Who designed that thing?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Duke rules. Sincerely, someone without baby hands.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The true measure of a console is how well the games hold up over time.

This is why the PS1 and N64 are the worst consoles ever. What's that, you say? What about the 2600? To this I say the 2600 doesn't count. Gaming didn't truly start until the NES.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor J Off posted:

The N64 controller was terrible, agreed as the worst controller ever. Beyond the stupidity of the 3 pronged design, the analog stick was awful; sure it was the first controller with a stick, but then the Dual Shock came out with two. Also unlike the Dual Shock it had only two shoulder buttons, so you had use face buttons for more things, having to get to them all with your thumbs versus getting extra help from the shoulder buttons with your other fingers. And then only having one thumb to hit those buttons due to the stick placement, comparing again to the PS1 where you had D-Pad access as well for other functions. It's telling that even in its heyday devs cooked up bizarre control schemes, like the already mentioned two-controller setup for Goldeneye, to try and make use of that stupid thing.

Like, what?

I loving hate the N64 and I hate that people mistakenly thought Golden Eye was good or that conkers bad fur day was funny. Nowadays they'll be all "well it was amazing at the time" but no, even at the time I knew it was fuckin' trash.

But I'd take an N64 controller over a NES controller any day.

Not just that it has useful buttons, triggers and an analogue stick, I mean, by that merit alone it shits all over the NES controller, but also the NES one gives you insane blisters from rubbing your thumbs against the mad-high buttons, and is incredibly sharp and too small.

It's a piece of crap. "Oh it was good at the time" yeah but we're not at the time, and now, it's obviously much worse than an N64 one.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Someone lost too many times on Smash Bros it seems.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The N64 dpad is actually a pretty nice one, it's a pity there's no good way to use it for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

i want a fully developed version of Yakuza's nightclub manager minigame