Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Folt The Bolt posted:

Linkle actually has more in common with Tingle than she does Link to be honest, something exacerbated by the "Fight alongside your... twin?" mission.
There was apparently a story arc they had planned involving that duo, but it was cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Motto posted:

Linkle's an original too and she's cool. for incredibly obvious reasons it's a derivative design, but it avoids being dull about it like a lot stuff does when going about that sort of thing.

I only played the Wii U version so this was my first exposure to Linkle, and I was kinda worried to be honest. But I love her shtick and I love that she loves Cuccos and I love the gangster almost-first-person dual crossbow enfilade and the rest of her attacks are the poo poo. So who knows maybe Linkle just might be my new favorite character.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tingle looks even creepier than usual in Hyrule Warriors. It’s great.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?

nopantsjack posted:

where you go i cannot follow

That's not how the intro to Gilmore Girls goes, but I agree. I'm not one for pre-order collectibles when I haven't even played a game yet.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

The Kins posted:

There was apparently a story arc they had planned involving that duo, but it was cut.

I know. But it goes a bit deeper than that: Linkle is moreso a female version of Tingle, but cuter and who believes she's the Hero of Legend rather than a fairy. It's why they're used as one of the similiar-by-association foil pairs in this game (and Legends for that matter), being the first of five (if I remember correctly) such pairs; the others being Cia & Lana (guess why), Zant & Ghirahim (the main antagonists for the majority of their games, ends up revealed as servants to another villain who takes the antagonist role at the end; bonus points for them technically serving the same person since Ganondorf is one of Demise's incarnations of his hate and malice for the hero), Medli & Toon Link (Earth Sage and Hero of Winds is a rather nice contrast... but they are also both associated with wind since Medli is a Rito and Toon Link... well, the name says it all really), and Zelda & King Daphnes (guess why).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Happy about Daroach. What a cool mouse. Eager to see what kind of moveset they give the guy

Raserys posted:

cia owns. any villain whose motivation is "horny for link" is a-ok with me

also if i recall her story mode is a series of fuckups that barely manage to stumble into success

Everyone in Hyrule Warriors looks like a badass but have rocks for brains

Cia summons a army of monsters ready to take on Hyrule only to realize she has no idea what the gently caress she's doing and has to spend a mission hiring people to manage her army for her because she's clueless, then literally everyone but Volga backstabs her because she thinks hitting them on the head makes them respect her more.

Ganondorf gets revived literally because Link forgets to put the sword back in place and goes "eh what's the worst that can happen". Then as soon as the story is done he goes on a vacation with zelda letting monsters nearly blow up castle town while he's away.

Linkle uh

Linkle.

Also always amused when people complain about Cia or Lana not fitting in when we had a literal Sailor Moon villain for one of the games. The Oracle games have made sure that there's no limit to how """""anime"""" Zelda can get.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Tingle looks even creepier than usual in Hyrule Warriors. It’s great.

It's amusing that it surprises people, but this Tingle is the version from the Rupeeland games where he looks just like that. They basically turned all his sprites 3D (his result screen art is literally directly lifted from the games)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The worst part about Cia is that she drags back the centuries old trope that dark skin equals evil. Just lame lazy poo poo.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

bushisms.txt posted:

The worst part about Cia is that she drags back the centuries old trope that dark skin equals evil. Just lame lazy poo poo.

Nah, the dark skin is just a part of the hot evil woman trope.

Speaking of hotness...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bushisms.txt posted:

Someone hasn't played the new full legend story ;)

Spoiler: She gets a redemption arc and saves the day with Link, her and Lana become roomies guarding time or whatever the hell.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

enojy posted:

Pretty sure no -- I sent Lana to a base to defend it (poorly, but still,) accidentally switched to her a little later and was holding forward while doing so, just enough to move her out of the keep boundary, and switched back to someone else. A minute later, I lost the keep. Switched back to Lana, and she was still standing in the exact same spot, doing absolutely nothing.

Does level and weapon selecting impact performance of the AI or only when you control them?

I don't think I've seen them level up passively either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bushisms.txt posted:

Fortunately it also equals hot too

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kin posted:

Does level and weapon selecting impact performance of the AI or only when you control them?

I don't think I've seen them level up passively either.

It does somewhat but it's still off screen AI so you won't see them do a lot if you're not around.

Also nah, characters don't get AI if you aren't controlling them even if they're on your "playable" squad

E: It's basically because it's a timer system, your AI's aren't actually fighting unless you're on screen. It all works on a invisible clock. If there's 1 enemy in a base it'll go down by a set amount as time passes, if another captain enters the base it'll speed up etc. Normal one-hit kill enemies don't really effect the clock at all as far as I can tell.

Same thing with enemy captains and yours. Game compares stats and they drain each others bars over time based on what the numbers tell em.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 22, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The best thing about Cia is her perfect anime villain laugh.

"OHHH HO HO HO HO!"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
It's so aggravating that Nintendo didn't slow down or stop game tine in HW when you're trying to switch items. it makes trying to exploit enemy weaknesses useless when you have only one second to switch to the item and actually use it before the window of time goes away.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dizz posted:

It's so aggravating that Nintendo didn't slow down or stop game tine in HW when you're trying to switch items. it makes trying to exploit enemy weaknesses useless when you have only one second to switch to the item and actually use it before the window of time goes away.

Each enemy is only vulnerable to one type.
You should be switching on approach.

Or just stunlock them into a corner.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Inzombiac posted:

There's at least one enemy that requires more than one item. Ganon That's the only fight the lack of pausing kinda screwed me on for a while. I wound up just picking a weapon and running around until the attack I wanted popped up.

I didn't like Wizzro when I played this on Wii U, but his grab and slam move is pretty overpowered. Been using it to make short work of quite a few commanders. You'd think the flying dude wouldn't be one of the slowest characters, though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Inzombiac posted:

Sometimes you're in an area with two or three different types. I had to use bombs, and boomerangs in one scenario.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the giant octopus from DKCTF is the most nightmarish creation of all videogames

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

goferchan posted:

How are y'all forgetting to list Linkle in Hyrule Warriors OCs!

Motto posted:

Linkle's an original too and she's cool. for incredibly obvious reasons it's a derivative design, but it avoids being dull about it like a lot stuff does when going about that sort of thing.

Oh yeah, good points y’all. For some reason I thought she was based on some unused Nintendo concept or something. It does still demonstrate that they do better when they at least try to have some aesthetic continuity with the source material. The other original characters look like Final Fantasy rejects.

Logically, they can do whatever the hell they want, since they’re telling a story that involves portals between multiple realities, but as a game that’s playing within a storied and well-loved license, it’s weird to give so much screen time to these randos.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could be worse, could be the OCs from Warriors Allstars.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's me, i'm the person that likes all the hyrule warriors OCs

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Brother Entropy posted:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

No OC can be as bad as Tingle already is, is the thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brother Entropy posted:

They're good

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I unironically want Cia and Lana integrated into the mainline canon, they're great.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

put cia or lana or linkle in smash

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Linkle is too powerful for Smash

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Linkle's Crossbow Training.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Not Operator posted:

Linkle's Crossbow Training.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Linkles crossbow training would be like Grand Theft Auto: Hyrule.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Oh no! :smith:

Give Linkle a game, Nintendo

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I've never been so happy to be beaten to a joke.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I want a Linkle sprite for ALTTP Randomizer, I hope the community does that eventually.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The final level of the Linkle campaign is so awesome though. Just two lady bros running around weary as hell beating the poo poo out of shadow dragons

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Knorth posted:

Oh no! :smith:

Give Linkle a game, Nintendo
Just make the next Zelda game where you can pick the gender of the chosen one, Link or Linkle.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

she's going to be in the newest mario kart

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Runner 3 unlocked at midnight apparently.

If you haven’t played Runner 2 (or haven’t replayed it recently) you’re probably in for a bad time. In Runner 2 there was plenty of time spent teaching you timing for jump/duck combos, Runner 3 just assumes you already know them and haven’t lost the muscle memory. There’s no difficulty selection, so I can’t use my tactic of playing through a level a few times on easy to get a feel for it before moving on to the next difficulty.

Like, I get it—they probably figure that everyone who’s going to buy Runner 3 is a Runner 2 megafan who 100% it and didn’t want to make those people play though tutorial levels, or feel obligated to play through each level on all the difficulties, but I really would have appreciated those features. It took me 26 tries to get through 1-3, at which point I decided to put aside the game until later this evening so I didn’t start swearing up a storm in front of my daughter.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just make the next Zelda game where you can pick the gender of the chosen one, Link or Linkle.

So you can play as Link or Linkle and also choose their gender?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Oh yeah, good points y’all. For some reason I thought she was based on some unused Nintendo concept or something. It does still demonstrate that they do better when they at least try to have some aesthetic continuity with the source material. The other original characters look like Final Fantasy rejects.

Logically, they can do whatever the hell they want, since they’re telling a story that involves portals between multiple realities, but as a game that’s playing within a storied and well-loved license, it’s weird to give so much screen time to these randos.

Volga and Wizzro also take several cues from various Zelda enemies. Volga from draconic-type enemies as well as the Lizalfos/Dinolfos and Wizzro from the Wizzrobe and Poe enemies.

Bloodplay it again posted:

There's at least one enemy that requires more than one item. Ganon That's the only fight the lack of pausing kinda screwed me on for a while. I wound up just picking a weapon and running around until the attack I wanted popped up.

I didn't like Wizzro when I played this on Wii U, but his grab and slam move is pretty overpowered. Been using it to make short work of quite a few commanders. You'd think the flying dude wouldn't be one of the slowest characters, though.

That grab and slam move is extremely overpowered. It can basically infinite anyone and enough successful hits apply the Darkness effect which is one of the best elemental effects to have, and his C4 shreds Giant Boss WPGs like you wouldn't believe. His only real weakness when he first arrived was his poor crowdclearing on higher difficulties which is what severely prevents him from being top tier with the other top tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

Volga and Wizzro also take several cues from various Zelda enemies. Volga from draconic-type enemies as well as the Lizalfos/Dinolfos and Wizzro from the Wizzrobe and Poe enemies.

Yeah Wizzro -> Wizzrobe is pretty on the nose I think. Volga I just assumed was taken from the OoT dragon boss Volvagia.

• Locked thread