Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

are you a whisky vs whiskey nerd? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ArmZ posted:

are you a whisky vs whiskey nerd? lmao

If you put an e in it, it stops being whisky

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you put the E in whiskey you'll get arrested for spiking drinks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:rimshot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I judge anyone who doesn't call it uisce beatha tbh

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

whiskey business

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Antonymous posted:

it's also crazy how bad it triggers me. I'm at someone else place and an ad comes on and I look at them "what the gently caress is this? can we turn this off? I'd rather not watch at all" etc and I'm a total psycho in their eyes.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
why does a “strong” jobs report tank stocks?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skooma512 posted:

Substituting top shelf booze with cheaper stuff is probably a much older scam.

Just not at this scale I guess.

I'm p sure it's in the bible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PyPy posted:

If everyone has a job you can't jerk around your workers as much, it's harder to hire people, and you have to pay them more. All of this is bad for our precious Job Creators, who have become victims of their own creation.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

PyPy posted:

greedy workers stealing all the profits so they can spend it on Flat Screen TVs and Lobster Tails

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I’ve never eaten lobster. unless lobster bisque counts

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
water bugs

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
if people are being paid more, won’t they spend more, and fuel the economy?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
didn’t strong jobs reports under TRUMP drive stocks up? I can’t recall

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PyPy posted:

if people are being paid more, won’t they spend more, and fuel the economy?

Why would I care about how the economy is doing, I care about what the company I own shares in is doing, and it's doing a terrible job of paying as little as possible to workers!!!

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I was excited for this new job (internal transfer) and then my offer letter was $15K less than I was expecting. they bumped it $2K when I expressed disappointment. I’m seriously considering passing on the offer.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Every dollar they pay to workers is a dollar I don't get later in a stock buyback. Worse, those workers will go out and spend that dollar on things I don't even own shares in! They're basically stealing from me and giving it to my many enemies! That's basically communism!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Shame Boy posted:

Every dollar they pay to workers is a dollar I don't get later in a stock buyback. Worse, those workers will go out and spend that dollar on things I don't even own shares in! They're basically stealing from me and giving it to my many enemies! That's basically communism!

number is disappointed that you don’t own stock in everything, thus solving your problem and proving your dedication to American Capitalism

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PyPy posted:

Unemployment is intended to be kept at around 10% because capitalism cannot function properly without a reserve pool of desperate labor who have the choice of below subsistence wages or having their organs harvested in prison on vagrancy charges to drive wages down for everybody else. Marx said this, but so has everybody at the Fed and the national government.

The whole point of hiking up rates is to force more people out of work to achieve this, but unemployment isnt going up so everybody is preparing for the Fed to go apeshit.

More fundamentally what is happening is that thanks to COVID killing or driving into retirement of a lot of the workforce, the bottom of the pyramid has gotten smaller, which means the top is getting lower despite 15 trillion dollars being deployed to keep it rising. Its important to keep in mind that literally everything about our economy is predicated on the obviously nonsensical notion that infinite growth forever will never stop. Fascism is the emergency button for when the lies stop working so that's on the horizon as we are seeing already

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

When I had to go into work for the first time in a while recently they put me at a spare desk near I guess what was now HR, and a couple of business jerks who had just moved here from the company we merged with were expressing amazement and disbelief that our benefits beyond normal pay was something like 26% of salary, when at a normal company it's only 20%, and we need to get that under control. Like they weren't execs or anything, just a couple dudes, and I'm just sitting there steaming thinking "you are literally arguing to cut your own pay you loving morons"

Coincidentally I didn't get a bonus this year, I don't know why but I'm guessing it's their fault.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Unemployment is intended to be kept at around 10% because capitalism cannot function properly without a reserve pool of desperate labor who have the choice of below subsistence wages or having their organs harvested in prison on vagrancy charges to drive wages down for everybody else. Marx said this, but so has everybody at the Fed and the national government.

The whole point of hiking up rates is to force more people out of work to achieve this, but unemployment isnt going up so everybody is preparing for the Fed to go apeshit.

More fundamentally what is happening is that thanks to COVID killing or driving into retirement of a lot of the workforce, the bottom of the pyramid has gotten smaller, which means the top is getting lower despite 15 trillion dollars being deployed to keep it rising. Its important to keep in mind that literally everything about our economy is predicated on the obviously nonsensical notion that infinite growth forever will never stop. Fascism is the emergency button for when the lies stop working so that's on the horizon as we are seeing already

Idk if it was in this thread or just the general cesspool of the internet as a whole but I saw someone genuinely argue that infinite growth forever was totally fine and realistic because obviously daddy elon will have us mining asteroids within a few years and then we'll just be able to get all the resources we need from doing that forever.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

PyPy posted:

I was excited for this new job (internal transfer) and then my offer letter was $15K less than I was expecting. they bumped it $2K when I expressed disappointment. I’m seriously considering passing on the offer.

now your in an awful spot because either you take the offer that's less then your worth and announce yourself to be a little bitch boy on day 1, or you pass and stick to your current job where your boss now hates your guts for having the audacity to look for a better job

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite part is that even in this magical future they were imagining that's effectively post-scarcity, all that means is that the current lovely capitalism systems will just be able to grow forever. This is why we can't have good star treks anymore I guess.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

They learned their lesson from the huge increase in living standards after the black plague, and they will not make the same mistake again.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Epic High Five posted:

back in a previous lifetime when i worked in the restaurant industry, my small business tyrant boss would love to "casually" mention the giant stack of resumes he had sitting on his desk of people waiting to take our $7 /hour jobs. He liked me (line cook) for whatever reason, but was such a dick to other people and was more then happy to fire waitresses who he didn't like for no particular reason.

I'd love to see how they're doing now, as I assume they like every other restaurant in Philly is begging for staff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

COPE 27 posted:

They learned their lesson from the huge increase in living standards after the black plague, and they will not make the same mistake again.

Ending that was one of the first acts of primitive accumulation lol, the Enclosure movement was basically just destroying all commons and all the old systems and then making it illegal to not be either an owner of means or someone working to enrich them.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

PyPy posted:

Because we live in loving Omelas only instead of one child rotting in a dungeon to keep everyone else happy we have (depending on the country) 10-80 percent of the population living in a series of progressively awful subbasements.

Oh and also the dungeon thing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Coolness Averted posted:

so spaghetti stops being spaghetti the moment sauce is added, gotcha

The spaghetti didn't stop being spaghetti, but when the sauce was added a new entity was created formed of the spaghetti and the sauce. We typically still call this spaghetti for convenience but technically it might be more accurate to call it spaghetti jr.

Your food is loving, essentially.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PyPy posted:

Did you say you were expecting 15k more? Or was it just a position with a range?
There isn't a hard and fast rule on these things.
It's worth looking at company culture, workload, and how much you need.

My default answer (assuming you didn't ask for y and thet offered y -15k) would be to take it, and if it left a bitter enough taste hunt for a new job with the raise accumulating. You can then gently caress off to the better offer, or if you like this place enough give them a chance to meet it. You can also offer a counter offer where you accept the 2k but ask for additional PTO

Even that advice may be moot if your company has blanket and universal pto policies. If your company never gives real raises and that 15k less than expected means you've set a ceiling on your pay, it's worse than if you can expect to be close to your target in a year or two.

For example I accepted a new position for about 10% less than I wanted since the company had a pension (which they just took away lmao) and because my workload and life balance is way better than at competitors. I'm comfortable enough that never having to put in more than 8 hours and working from home 90% of the time was worth the lower pay.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Feb 3, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

christmas boots posted:

The spaghetti didn't stop being spaghetti, but when the sauce was added a new entity was created formed of the spaghetti and the sauce. We typically still call this spaghetti for convenience but technically it might be more accurate to call it spaghetti jr.

the food is antifucking, two objects individually cease and become one, instead of two giving rise to a third independent object

there is no pasta and no sauce, only the spaghetti. You can't uncook the food or restore the sauce and pasta to their previous forms

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

capitalism:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpgv3danG61y54s2v.mp4

also

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Feb 3, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lmao can I trade it in for three (3) squares of 2ply toilet paper instead of the weird stuff that feels like actual paper most companies use?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If the restaurant gives me a plate of spaghetti that turns out to be a plate of sauce with one noodle then I'm gonna demand a free fireball whiskey.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PerniciousKnid posted:

If the restaurant gives me a plate of spaghetti that turns out to be a plate of sauce with one noodle then I'm gonna demand a free fireball whiskey.

What if it's a comically long noodle? So it still is the standard serving of pasta, just it comically all wraps around your fork or never stops if you start sucking it down

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Coolness Averted posted:

What if it's a comically long noodle? So it still is the standard serving of pasta, just it comically all wraps around your fork or never stops if you start sucking it down

this leads to dogs kissing :discourse:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

christmas boots posted:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PyPy posted:

Whether you take it or not, you should seriously consider phoning it in for the rest of your time there while you look for a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The fakest poo poo ever.

E: on both counts.