Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

What's average cost for the 105k service? More specifically, timing belt kit w/pump, front and rear diff fluids, trans fluid, oil change, and spark plug change?

Timing belt w/parts ~$700
5 quarts 75w90 gear oil ~$100 + $100 labor
Oil change ~$30
Spark Plugs $40 + ~$150 labor

Grand total ~$1,120

I'd recommend doing the oils and spark plugs yourself if you have the tools and budget is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

5 quarts 75w90 gear oil ~$100 + $100 labor
My shop billed me like $40 labor for this (.5 hours). But then, it was a good shop.
I've been told that the labor on timing belt is shockingly sane as well.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Wrar posted:

Having differently sized tires is very bad for the AWD system, most specifically the differentials.

I've been corrected on this before. From what I've come to understand is that you CAN do this without harming the diff, however the tread depth needs to be within some variance of which I do not know.

Some googling suggests that the tires must be within 1/4in circumference of each other (2/32's) and also suggests that shaving the tires may be another alternative. That said, I'd replace them all.

allonblack fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 21, 2010

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Obviously the diff has some tolerance to it, otherwise there'd be a spare differential tucked away with the spare tire (which is not the same size as the regular tires).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

syphon posted:

Obviously the diff has some tolerance to it, otherwise there'd be a spare differential tucked away with the spare tire (which is not the same size as the regular tires).
You don't drive thousands on miles on the donut.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Searching craiglist in a mission to get a stock exhaust bolted back on.

Is $50 reasonable for a '06 stock used sti dp with both cats and heatshield along with $250 for stock '07 sti catback? Thinking catback is a bit high and that $100-$150 might be more realistic.

Edit: $150 for '05 Stock WRX Turboback

Edit Edit: Bought the $50 sti dp with both cats

Edit edit edit: 07 STI Catback for $150... so that comes out to $200 for the entire setup and a burger for a buddy who's going to let me use his lift/garage and help me out.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 21, 2010

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

Searching craiglist in a mission to get a stock exhaust bolted back on.

Is $50 reasonable for a '06 stock used sti dp with both cats and heatshield along with $250 for stock '07 sti catback? Thinking catback is a bit high and that $100-$150 might be more realistic.

Edit: $150 for '05 Stock WRX Turboback

Edit Edit: Bought the $50 sti dp with both cats

Edit edit edit: 07 STI Catback for $150... so that comes out to $200 for the entire setup and a burger for a buddy who's going to let me use his lift/garage and help me out.

Was your car tuned for the aftermarket downpipe?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Amandyke posted:

It probably was. Time to flash it back to a Stage 1...

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

It probably was. Time to flash it back to a Stage 1...

Yah, if it was tuned for that downpipe and you toss the stocker back on there you will *NEED* to retune it/upload a OTS stage 1 map to the ecu or risk serious engine damage/failure.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm guessing it did, but I'm doublechecking with the previous owner.

Just fixed my broken horns with a set of Supertones and had to replace most of the wiring (which was why the stock horns weren't working). Also received my new keyless entry remotes and programmed them. Was strugling with it until I saw someone on NASIOC say to turn the key to 1 above lock when doing the "10 lock > on in 15 seconds" step.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

nm posted:

Metric Auto in Woodbury.

Excellent thanks, that is a little out of my way but if they're good I'm sure it's worth it.

I've been looking at this 07 Legacy GT. The dealer had it listed at $19K with 48K miles on it. I emailed him and mentioned there was a 08 non-GT Limited 5 miles away with 25K miles on it that's been reduced twice now to $17K, 20 minutes later he emailed me back and offered to lower it to $18K. I went over tonight and checked it out. It drove nice but when I was checking the body I noticed it had a couple dings and paint chips, nothing terrible, but good ammo for negotiating. However, I looked at the rims and saw this:

Click here for the full 1289x881 image.

To be fair I don't spend a lot of time looking at rims, but what the gently caress is that crusty mess around the hub? All 4 wheels were like that, is it some kind of adhesive that someone got sloppy with?

I wasn't even going to ask the salesman because he didn't seem to be all that familiar with Subaru ("The GT is a whole different car than the Limited, this has AWD!" "You don't say?"). Plus he offered me 7k for my Elantra which was my cue to leave. It's unfortunate that the GT is so rare, at least in the Twin Cities. At least I'm in a position where I don't need to buy a new car.

EDIT: And just as I was reconsidering the 08 Limited I notice the Carfax shows "Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed" at 19k miles and "A/C refrigerant recharged" at 22K miles, neither of those seem like they should have needed to have been done at such low mileage, should they?

Arclyte fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 22, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Arclyte posted:

To be fair I don't spend a lot of time looking at rims, but what the gently caress is that crusty mess around the hub? All 4 wheels were like that, is it some kind of adhesive that someone got sloppy with?

I had that before on some really old Ford alloys. As far as I could tell it was the clear coat flaking off the aluminum due to corrosion.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Arclyte posted:

EDIT: And just as I was reconsidering the 08 Limited I notice the Carfax shows "Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed" at 19k miles and "A/C refrigerant recharged" at 22K miles, neither of those seem like they should have needed to have been done at such low mileage, should they?
This might just be manufacturer variance; an owner complaint getting cleaned up. At the very least, it was done under warranty.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

You don't drive thousands on miles on the donut.

Yes but the point remains that the centre diff isn't quite as intolerant to tyre sizes as often made out to be.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
Just brought home a 2009 Impreza yesterday. Next step, STi (in a couple of years). Had to trade in the reg cab Tacoma because it can't accommodate a baby seat. I've loved Subarus since I had an old clunker wagon about 10 years ago that simply would NOT die, and was surprised that lightly used Imprezas could be had for so little.

Edit: Does anyone know where to find some Klasse All in One without ordering it online? I want to start my OCD detailing process ASAP and don't want to wait for shipping.

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 22, 2010

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Amandyke posted:

Turns out it wasn't tuned as he was waiting to install the catless up pipe. :psyduck:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

JayKay posted:

Turns out it wasn't tuned as he was waiting to install the catless up pipe. :psyduck:

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

I'm worried about your car.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

I love mystery cars!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Blaise posted:

Yeah you're not the only one

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Arclyte posted:

Click here for the full 1289x881 image.

Someone scratched the poo poo out of the paint job around there. It is corrosion. Corrosion on an AL wheel isn't the worst thing in the world, unlike with Iron, AL corrosion is stronger than AL. It is only really a problem if it gets near the rim of the wheel as it can cause leaks. Ugly as poo poo though.

quote:

The reprogramming could be anything.
The A/C could be a hose leaking or something.
Not normal though on an 08. A re-program on earlier LGTs would be normal as there was a recall.

Good thing about Metric is that when the can really beat the book in time, they won't charge you book rate. You can tell them Nick with the Blue Legacy GT wagon who moved to California sent you.

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes but the point remains that the centre diff isn't quite as intolerant to tyre sizes as often made out to be.
Yes, but you shouldn't be driving more than 100 mi on mismatched tires.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My newly purchased 05 legacy gt is already having issues. Monday, started driving to work and the oil light started flickering about two miles from my house. Turned around and limped it home. It came on solid, then shut off right when I got home. Odd. Took dads car to work. He drove the GT down the road and had no signs of any oil light. Got a new sending unit and replaced it. Took it to the dealer to have the banjo bolt screen pulled and to have one of my keys programed since it didn't work. On the way there dad said the oil light did the same thing again.

It seems to be only in the mornings when the car is cold. I drove it Tuesday night with no sign of the oil light.

I'm wondering wtf is going on. Oil pump? Oil pickup? Motor or turbo dying? Some stupid electrical thing? I'm calling the dealership I got the car from (a few states away) and telling them off. We'll see what happens and I'll figure out where I'm going from here.

I already have one broken Subaru, I don't need another.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm wondering wtf is going on. Oil pump? Oil pickup? Motor or turbo dying? Some stupid electrical thing? I'm calling the dealership I got the car from (a few states away) and telling them off. We'll see what happens and I'll figure out where I'm going from here.

Whatever it is, since you already replaced the sending unit. Check the wiring and everything that it could be on the sending unit side of things. Otherwise it's something stupidly expensive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stop driving the car right away. Like right now.

Unless the sensor is busted, the oil light coming on is more along the lines of the car informing you that you have half a second to stop the car or you are going to start causing horrible damage to the car.

I think it's time to drop the oil pan and check to make sure the pickup tube isn't cracked.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Absolutely DO NOT drive or even start the car. Oil pickup is likely cracked and the bearings are damaged.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Thanks for probably confirming what I already figured guys.

The car isn't moving anywhere. I'm calling the dealership I got the car from tomorrow informing them of the situation and seeing what my options are from here.

The car will either be fixed correctly by my local dealership (who is amazing), or I'll be returning the car and getting my money back.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

Time to do a compression/leakdown test! If it checks out you got pretty lucky.

Speaking of oil pickups, has the Killer B gotten better? Everyone seems to like them (including my favoured shop) but I remember a few months ago jamal said that he got one or two with poor build quality.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I already have one broken Subaru, I don't need another.

On my '02 WRX there's an issue where due to rain you can get a dim oil light sometimes. If you're actually getting no oil pressure (engine is LOUD), and there's oil in it, then you've either got a bad pickup or blown oil pump.

I'm voting dead sensor.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Time to do a compression/leakdown test! If it checks out you got pretty lucky.

Speaking of oil pickups, has the Killer B gotten better? Everyone seems to like them (including my favoured shop) but I remember a few months ago jamal said that he got one or two with poor build quality.

At least I won't have to reflash my ecu to stock :v:

:suicide:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blaise posted:

On my '02 WRX there's an issue where due to rain you can get a dim oil light sometimes.

Heh, I gave myself a heart attack after I cleaned my engine one day because of this.

It wasn't ON though or flickering. It was just very very dim.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My 02 RS does the dim oil light thing. I know that's the sensor and it needs to be greased.

Dad already replaced the sensor or sending unit or whatever on the LGT, so I fear it may be something more serious...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

Absolutely DO NOT drive or even start the car. Oil pickup is likely cracked and the bearings are damaged.
Oil Pickup is more of an issue on 06+. (Was revised mid-2006 to the lovely one) Not saying it couldn't be the issue, but it is less likely.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

My 02 RS does the dim oil light thing. I know that's the sensor and it needs to be greased.

Dad already replaced the sensor or sending unit or whatever on the LGT, so I fear it may be something more serious...

Was the engine loud as all hell? I blew an oil pump in my '96 neon and it was VERY obvious when the engine wasn't being lubricated...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Blaise posted:

Was the engine loud as all hell? I blew an oil pump in my '96 neon and it was VERY obvious when the engine wasn't being lubricated...

My old (now Sockingtons) 02' TS was very odd when it was dying of sludge. A loud tapping and an oil light that lasted a little too long on startup and then it was fine once warm. Near the end the only other indication was a faint tapping at high speeds if I let off the gas suddenly, but that was more because of the no doubt cavernous bearing clearances than anything else. Impressive that it ran as well as it did.

The oil pumps seem to be pretty strong on these engines, at least on the 2.5L, and I'd say if there is an oil light coming on when the car is hot that isn't sensor related then the bearings are already in a bad way or heading there very shortly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nm posted:

Oil Pickup is more of an issue on 06+. (Was revised mid-2006 to the lovely one) Not saying it couldn't be the issue, but it is less likely.
I've seen at least two EJ207 oil pickups grenade, but those were on a competition rally car. v:shobon:v

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Blaise posted:

Engine sounded fine.

Dealership has agreed to pay my local Subaru dealership to diagnose the issue. If it's some dumb wiring issue, they'll fix it and I'll keep the car. If it's catastrophic, they have agreed to give me my money back. I just have to trailer the car to them 4 hours away. Merry loving Christmas.

I have next week off, so I'm spending it drinking and pulling my RS transmission. I've got 3 broken ones so I'm bound to either make one good one, or die frozen to death under my RS in the garage.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Got my car back with moonroof all fixed up, drove to California, and woke up to find a nice big crack in the windshield spreading out for a tiny rock chip. Ugh.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

superdylan posted:

Got my car back with moonroof all fixed up, drove to California, and woke up to find a nice big crack in the windshield spreading out for a tiny rock chip. Ugh.

Your car hates glass apparently

zantar
Jul 30, 2002

superdylan posted:

Nelson laugh

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
gently caress me, my outback order got pushed back to mid-january. I ordered it at the end of October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Can someone point me in the direction to where I can purchase some spring bolts for my exhaust?

Edit: Or some sort of replacement

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 27, 2010