Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

apapersack posted:

I searched around and didn't see this posted, hope I am not wrong.

I am so disappointing in my father for sending me this :smith:

"It is wrong to take from the rich to give to the poor. We must therefore take from the poor to give to the rich."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

quote:

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.

2. What one person receives without working for,
another person must work for without receiving.

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

5)
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work,because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Yeah, there a whole bunch of problems with these.

1) This is not the goal of liberals. The goal is to make sure everyone, no matter how far they fall has at least an acceptable standard of living. This doesn't mean everyone should have 3 56" Flatscreen TVs in their house, nor does it mean that people "that work really hard" don't get to still earn enough money to own 5 homes.

Also: Poverty rate in 1959 was around 20%, and in 2007 it was 12.5%; and poverty among Seniors was 30% in 1967, but only 13.2% in 2008. (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/jul/29/bill-oreilly/bill-oreilly-says-poverty-hasnt-budged-1965-despit/)

2) This one seems nice and clever but it plays to a well sold false-hood. Recipients of social welfare programs are often "welfare queens" who just suck from society and never work. Except that most people are not on welfare forever. And most of them are Seniors who spent decades working before receiving the benefits they have now.

3) True, but none of us would have anything without one another so I fail to see the point. Taxes are not evil, they are the cost of living in a great society. There are parts of the world where there are no taxes and where the strongest get the greatest benefits. But I doubt people would consider Somalia as an ideal model for how we want the US to be run.

4) But you can multiply it by investing, which is what the government actually does, when it's not being run by people who have expressly stated that they think the Federal Government should be brought down. Oh hey, look! That government program is useless, never mind that we cut it's budget to next to nothing. If it was going to work it could have accomplished its goals with no budget!

5) I've never understood the idea that taxes dissuade people from working, and that welfare encourages people to not work. Have these people never seen how those on welfare live? No one in their right mind would prefer to live off of welfare than work for more money. And on the other side you have the suggestion that people wouldn't find it worth it to work for $600,000 a year if they had to pay 33% in taxes because $400,000 is such crap, right? Nevermind that their AFTER tax income is nearly 10x the average household income BEFORE taxes.

Of course what happens when someone suggests cutting the two biggest liberal drivers of Federal spending? Nearly 75% of the country opposes changes. But people still think that welfare queens and welfare babies are a big driver of their tax burden. When in reality it's old people and the military.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

apapersack posted:

I am so disappointed in my father for sending me this :smith:

Re: no.2 on the list, ask your father if he agrees with the maxim 'He who does not work, neither shall he eat'.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
That's literally a series of bumper stickers. If his argument consists of one liners, respond with one-liners, and watch him try to argue against poo poo like "You can't hug children with nuclear arms." It's every bit as intellectually honest.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Literally just grab 5 of these and respond. http://progressivebumperstickers.com/cgi-bin/liberal/bumperstickers.pl?start=0&perPage=20&search=quotesdb

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ah, good ol' Zero-Sum talking points.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tek79 posted:

Serious question. Has anyone actually "gone Galt" and reported the results? I saw a bumper sticker on my way to work the other day that read 'Atlas is shrugging', and my initial reaction was "then move to a loving gulch or whatever and get the gently caress off the public road system". But that got me wondering if anyone had ever actually put their money where their mouth is an walked away from their privileged lives in the name of Objectivism?
I saw a 90s Hyundai Excel with a Rand bumper sticker. Clearly the government is all that stands between him and millions.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Not an email because I delete those from my dad (still waiting for him to move to Australia like he swore he would when Obama was elected), but at the credit union today I overheard a rather old guy speaking to a younger man about how the world is poo poo now. The younger guy, maybe 40 or so, said that his grandfather had worked for years for the Chrystler car plant and after he retired, right up until he died, for nearly thirty years a man from the plant would come by every month or so to make sure Grandfather was doing okay and things were well with him.

You don't get that kind of care from companies anymore, the other man, the old one, said, and then went on some tirade about how unions are evil, how they take all the money from businesses, and do you know that Obama came down to AZ once and the unions, hahaha, bless their black hearts, wouldn't let him enter a power station beyond a certain point because you have to be a US citizen to do so?

That goddamn line never moved fast enough.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not an email because I delete those from my dad (still waiting for him to move to Australia like he swore he would when Obama was elected), but at the credit union today I overheard a rather old guy speaking to a younger man about how the world is poo poo now. The younger guy, maybe 40 or so, said that his grandfather had worked for years for the Chrystler car plant and after he retired, right up until he died, for nearly thirty years a man from the plant would come by every month or so to make sure Grandfather was doing okay and things were well with him.

You don't get that kind of care from companies anymore, the other man, the old one, said, and then went on some tirade about how unions are evil, how they take all the money from businesses, and do you know that Obama came down to AZ once and the unions, hahaha, bless their black hearts, wouldn't let him enter a power station beyond a certain point because you have to be a US citizen to do so?

That is an extremely confused line of mixed rhetoric, left and right, from BOTH of the people you describe...

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

CaptBushido posted:

That is an extremely confused line of mixed rhetoric, left and right, from BOTH of the people you describe...

Which is actually how I think a lot of people are. They get bombarded by crap from both directions and their views become crazy mixes that if they thought about them rationally wouldn't make sense. Hell if the story about the guy from Chrystler is true, it was probably a Union rep checking on him.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

apapersack posted:

The 5 best sentences you will ever read
Unfortunately, most voters don't know this.
These are possibly the 5 best sentences you'll ever read:

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

5)
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work,because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

I am so disappointed in my father for sending me this :smith:

All I can think of is this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGX9tdPeN0&t=28s

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's funny because the guy who came by every month to check on his grandfather was probably a union rep and not a plant exec.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Cowslips Warren posted:

and do you know that Obama came down to AZ once and the unions, hahaha, bless their black hearts, wouldn't let him enter a power station beyond a certain point because you have to be a US citizen to do so?
Who makes up this poo poo and passes it off to their friends as true? There's zero chance some union guys told the president he couldn't come in someplace.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Atasi posted:

Didn't some goon write a great story about a guy in just such a libertarian dystopia who couldn't even make it to the end of the street.

Reminds me of, I think it's Ubik, where it takes a toll to open the door to your apartment. A character is left to beg with his front door to open without payment because he doesn't have any money to pay the door to let him leave.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Who makes up this poo poo and passes it off to their friends as true? There's zero chance some union guys told the president he couldn't come in someplace.

A mix of PR companies releasing these things as part of a campaign, that then rattles on for years and years afterwards (see: Proctor and Gamble and Satan) and people reading misleading headlines without reading the article that goes with it. "President Denied Access by Union!" and the article says "because the area was dangerous at the time" but people just flipping through the paper or whatever only catch that headline and internalize it, even if they don't really care. Then later, the topic of unions and the President comes up, and "Hey, did you know the unions denied the President access to an area? Probably because he's not a US citizen."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

XyloJW posted:

A mix of PR companies releasing these things as part of a campaign, that then rattles on for years and years afterwards (see: Proctor and Gamble and Satan) and people reading misleading headlines without reading the article that goes with it. "President Denied Access by Union!" and the article says "because the area was dangerous at the time" but people just flipping through the paper or whatever only catch that headline and internalize it, even if they don't really care. Then later, the topic of unions and the President comes up, and "Hey, did you know the unions denied the President access to an area? Probably because he's not a US citizen."

Don't forget John McCain's illegitimate black daughter.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Sarion posted:

Which is actually how I think a lot of people are. They get bombarded by crap from both directions and their views become crazy mixes that if they thought about them rationally wouldn't make sense. Hell if the story about the guy from Chrystler is true, it was probably a Union rep checking on him.

They are bombarded by crap from the right. The leftist view is the default for most of humanity, it must be pushed out by the false consciousness of bourgeois ideology.

VVV This is a tautology

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 1, 2011

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Enjoy posted:

They are bombarded by crap from the right. The leftist view is the default for most of humanity, it must be pushed out by the false consciousness of bourgeois ideology.

Tell me more about how the default views of humanity just happen to correspond with what is good and just :allears:

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Enjoy posted:

VVV This is a tautology

I don't think this can be proven, but I agree.

We still have ~50% of the country consistently voting for the leftmost major party despite its utter incompetence and the opposition's incredibly well-oiled, well-funded, talking points spewing political machine. That to me suggests at least a small amount of natural inclination towards leftist values.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kubrick posted:

We still have ~50% of the country consistently voting for the leftmost major party despite its utter incompetence and the opposition's incredibly well-oiled, well-funded, talking points spewing political machine. That to me suggests at least a small amount of natural inclination towards leftist values.
You realize, of course, that a hard right voter would likely say something almost identical regarding the republicans' incompetence at (cutting spending/reversing roe v. wade/banning islam) and the omnipresence of Liberal Media.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

I think ya'll putting too much stock on "the natural thought processes" when the culprit probably has more to do with the effect of liberal Western values that have been engrained into our culture since the Enlightenment

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

apapersack posted:

This seems like it could apply to the labor theory of value and profit being taken by owners as easily as its intended interpretation.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

This seems like it could apply to the labor theory of value and profit being taken by owners as easily as its intended interpretation.

You might think that. But right thinking people will obviously realize that labor counts as work only so far as it serves the interests of capital, because haven't you taken economics 101 don't you know about the supplies and demands?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Does being e-mailed urban legends with a horrible right-wing subtext count?

quote:

If you don't know GOD, don't make stupid remarks!!!!!!

A United States Marine was taking some college courses between assignments. He had completed 20 missions in Iraq and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist. One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, "GOD, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform...I'll give you exactly 15 min."

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am GOD, I'm still waiting." It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold cocked him; knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold. The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked and stunned, and sat there looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, "What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine calmly replied, "GOD was too busy today protecting America 's soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid stuff and act like an idiot. So He sent me."

The classroom erupted in cheers!

People saying something you don't like should be sucker punched because God loves the soldiers fighting for your...freedom of speech?

:wtc:

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

And that bear's name was Albert Einstein. Welcome to the republican party. : smug:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
That would also be an extremely unchristian thing to do for various reasons. Pride, pretending to know God's will, judging others which is meant to be God's domain alone, etc.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sean10mm posted:

"The classroom erupted in cheers!"

And then The Marine got 3,000 blowjobs. From men and women who were proud to support ARE TROOPS.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

And then The Marine got 3,000 blowjobs. From men and women who were proud to support ARE TROOPS.

It was a riff fest.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

WampaLord posted:

Sodomy for God. Godomy? :911::hf::catholic:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

sean10mm posted:

Sodomy for God. Godomy? :911::hf::catholic:
So I was godomizing this chick I met at church last night and my dick got covered in her moral values.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

sean10mm posted:

People saying something you don't like should be sucker punched because God loves the soldiers fighting for your...freedom of speech?

Then God comes down and strikes the Marine dead. "If you believed in me, you'd know better than to speak for me."

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Pretty sure there was a second thread like this too, but you're in for a treat:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2870098&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 (may need archives)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ClosedBSD posted:

Pretty sure there was a second thread like this too, but you're in for a treat:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2870098&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 (may need archives)

That seriously is my favorite thread on the forums.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You could add something about the marine getting discharged for his erratic behavior.

You would then leave out the part where he spins that into a successful bid for the House of Representatives.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 3, 2011

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

How could an omnipotent being be too busy?

:smugdog:

I also love the irony of committing violence in god's name to support troops fighting religious fanatics who commit violent acts in god's name.

:dawkins101:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
It turns out that the professor was actually a projection of God who would use it to test people's ability to 'treat others as they would themselves'. The marine was not amongst those raptured later that day.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Z-Magic posted:

It turns out that the professor was actually a projection of God who would use it to test people's ability to 'treat others as they would themselves'. The marine was not amongst those raptured later that day.

"And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it to one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me"

The Marine punched Jesus by proxy!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the hell does "20 missions" mean anyway?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

vxskud posted:

"And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it to one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me"

The Marine punched Jesus by proxy!

I wouldn't be too worried, an omnipotent being that can be "too busy" doesn't strike me as all that scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Z-Magic posted:

"My dad could beat up your dad" - that marine's kid, to jesus