Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mitztronic posted:

How much loan debt do you have? Just curious.

Obviously a master's degree is almost always better (ceterus paribus), but the job opportunities for that field depend on where you live.
$0.00

A masters degree in CS + liberal arts degree being better than an BS in CS surprises me, but I don't know gently caress about poo poo. I live in Denver, Colorado, which seems to have a healthy tech field by all accounts I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

I guess that clears up why you're considering more degrees.

Also I dont understand how a MS+BS isn't always better than two BS (e: BS+BA)? Maybe I am misunderstanding something here

As for Denver... I may be moving there soon. Its a good place to be for engineering right now. The other obvious location would be san francisco.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 12, 2015

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
The question was MS+UnrelatedBA vs BS I think

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'd say MS vs BS + UnrelatedBA is a debate worth having. I don't see how you could go wrong with MS + UnrelatedBS if your alternative is just a BS. Unless we start talking about finances, etc., then things obviously become murky, but it doesn't sound like that is necessarily the case.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

TenementFunster posted:

can anyone give me a rough idea of the job opportunities between someone with a computer science/engineering BA versus a computer science/engineering masters degree? I have a useless liberal arts degree and a useless JD, so I'm trying to figure out how I can get into a field that is actually desirable asap without retaking a bunch of gen ed bullshit.

I am not 100% sure of what you're asking but engineering MS programs usually require either an engineering undergrad or a ton of remedial courses. Also, MS-engineering programs are more about research into a particular niche of a particular discipline of engineering rather than teaching you about that field of engineering. For what it's worth, I had a non-engineering undergrad degree and opted to get a second BS degree in engineering after talking to some hiring managers about my situation and what they thought of a lib-arts degree+MS, assuming I got accepted somewhere.

For what it's worth, my current employer treats a MS vs BS as being worth about 3k/yr.

If you're asking about comp-sci degrees....
IT jobs care far, far more about certifications and experience than a degree
Programming jobs care more about how well you know the language and your portfolio than a degree
I'd head to the Cavern of COBOL subforum or the IT megathread for information on computer nerd stuff.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

KetTarma posted:

I am not 100% sure of what you're asking but engineering MS programs usually require either an engineering undergrad or a ton of remedial courses.

This is what I was confused about because I was assuming he was asking if he should get an MS (including a BS) or just a BS

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

totalnewbie posted:

I'd say MS vs BS + UnrelatedBA is a debate worth having. I don't see how you could go wrong with MS + UnrelatedBS if your alternative is just a BS. Unless we start talking about finances, etc., then things obviously become murky, but it doesn't sound like that is necessarily the case.

For what it's worth, I have a BS in Chemical Engineering and a MS in Mechanical Engineering. I have been able to get interviews for and offered jobs that listed either major.

The only problem it caused early on was that some people didn't know how to categorize me. Now that I'm passed that, I think the degree diversity only helps.

The only degree jumps I have seen have all been within the engineering disciplines. There is a little bit of switching between engineering and other sciences, but it's less frequent.

I know University of Texas has a joint public policy and engineering program in grad school as an example(and I believe people jump both directions somewhat). Sometimes you can find ways to spin your non-STEM skills into having some kind of association with STEM.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I don't think you are going to get much out of a research degree in a field you have absolutely no base in. You could treat the MS like an extended undergrad, but you would both learn more and pay less money for the BS. If you already have a BA it would be very unlikely you would have to take more gen ed classes and you could start right in to the important classes. IMO it's a very bad idea to skip the fundamental base of any field and assume you will be able to derive the same benefits from the advanced degree.

e: programming is one of the rare fields where you don't need the degree to get a professional job, just the skills. I was a programmer for 8 years before I started my PhD in EE and I had no degree for the entire duration. If you want to do programming for a career, just start programming.

2nd edit: this probably isn't the same situation for hardware jobs (computer engineering). You will need some pedigree for these types of jobs.

IratelyBlank fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 13, 2015

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Corla Plankun posted:

The question was MS+UnrelatedBA vs BS I think
yep! the only wrinkle is I am also trying to become eligible to practice patent law in addition to becoming marketable for a strict CS career. the masters here at CU is a 30hr degree, and I need 32hrs of CS related coursework to sit for the patent bar exam plus 8 hours of chemistry or physics, so I'm hoping for enough overlap between the undergrad courses I'd need as prereqs for the MS-CS program and the 32 hours I'd need for the patent bar eligibility.

as it stands based on all yalls help, unless there are serious advantages to a BS in CS over a MS in CS, I'll be going with the MS, as I don't want to be the only 30-something in the something like 20hrs of gen ed I'd need for the BS in addition to the CS coursework.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

yep! the only wrinkle is I am also trying to become eligible to practice patent law in addition to becoming marketable for a strict CS career. the masters here at CU is a 30hr degree, and I need 32hrs of CS related coursework to sit for the patent bar exam plus 8 hours of chemistry or physics, so I'm hoping for enough overlap between the undergrad courses I'd need as prereqs for the MS-CS program and the 32 hours I'd need for the patent bar eligibility.

as it stands based on all yalls help, unless there are serious advantages to a BS in CS over a MS in CS, I'll be going with the MS, as I don't want to be the only 30-something in the something like 20hrs of gen ed I'd need for the BS in addition to the CS coursework.

I think you'd get better opinions in one of these threads because none of us majored in CS. All of us majored in some sort of engineering here to the best of my knowledge.

Newbie Programming:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083

Working in IT:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857

IT Certifications:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165

General College Megathread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2655756

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

What are the front runners for best transport textbook for chemical engineers? I'm taking the second transport class, having done momentum/heat transfer and now we're doing mass transfer and separations, but our book is pretty light and easy. Last semester it wasn't a problem since the professor was great and his homework problems were pretty challenging, yet this one seems to almost entirely rely on book problems. I've heard Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot is good, but wanted to make sure.

e: Forgot to mention, our book is Geankoplis.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Karl Sharks posted:

What are the front runners for best transport textbook for chemical engineers? I'm taking the second transport class, having done momentum/heat transfer and now we're doing mass transfer and separations, but our book is pretty light and easy. Last semester it wasn't a problem since the professor was great and his homework problems were pretty challenging, yet this one seems to almost entirely rely on book problems. I've heard Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot is good, but wanted to make sure.

My degree is in Nuclear, but our department was combined with chemical until this year. Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot is pretty much the standard recommendation all our professors gave, although our transport class was taught (by a chemical professor) out of Welty, Wicks, Wilson, and Rorrer. It was an ok book, but I don't have a lot of material to compare it against.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Karl Sharks posted:

Depends whether you want theory or applied for mass transfer. If you want theory pretty much any undergrad level textbook would be fine (or use Perry) because the meat and potatoes is learning how to get the most out of simulation software and I don't know how much of that is covered in degree courses. For applied then you can't go wrong with Kister (he's a nice guy and knows his poo poo as I've worked with him a few times on projects).

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Depends whether you want theory or applied for mass transfer. If you want theory pretty much any undergrad level textbook would be fine (or use Perry) because the meat and potatoes is learning how to get the most out of simulation software and I don't know how much of that is covered in degree courses. For applied then you can't go wrong with Kister (he's a nice guy and knows his poo poo as I've worked with him a few times on projects).

I'd prefer something a bit deeper/more challenging than the text we use now. Specifically a book with good problems to work as a lot of Geankoplis ones are rather straight-forward plug and chug type problems. It also doesn't seem to do much derivations, we hardly used it in my first transport class since the professor had much better notes, which this one doesn't have.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Karl Sharks posted:

I'd prefer something a bit deeper/more challenging than the text we use now. Specifically a book with good problems to work as a lot of Geankoplis ones are rather straight-forward plug and chug type problems. It also doesn't seem to do much derivations, we hardly used it in my first transport class since the professor had much better notes, which this one doesn't have.

Different text books were used in the UK so I'm not familiar with the level of that one. What specifically are you looking for - the basics of distillation/absorption; McCabe Thiele diagrams, quarternary diagrams, NTU/HTU and similar but with more case studies or getting into stuff like equations of state, thermodynamic models (UNIQUAC, UNIFAC etc.) and the different fundamental theories of mass transfer (i.e. film theory and penetration theory).

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Different text books were used in the UK so I'm not familiar with the level of that one. What specifically are you looking for - the basics of distillation/absorption; McCabe Thiele diagrams, quarternary diagrams, NTU/HTU and similar but with more case studies or getting into stuff like equations of state, thermodynamic models (UNIQUAC, UNIFAC etc.) and the different fundamental theories of mass transfer (i.e. film theory and penetration theory).

I have absolutely no idea, I've heard of McCade-Thiele diagrams. As I said, I'm just now starting the course. I'm just trying to find a good, thorough book for the first course on mass transfer/separations.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Karl Sharks posted:

I have absolutely no idea, I've heard of McCade-Thiele diagrams. As I said, I'm just now starting the course. I'm just trying to find a good, thorough book for the first course on mass transfer/separations.

You weren't kidding then when you said you were at the start! If you're doing ChemE have you been told to buy a copy of Perry's yet? If not go to your school library and read through the mass / heat transfer sections of it as they are pretty comprehensive and take you through the steps of doing a design with examples. Distillation design by Henry Kister is also pretty good, again if it's available in your school's library.

The books I used at University were called Coulson & Richardson which are essentially the course notes from a ChemE lecturer at Imperial College London and were generally considered to be excellent undergraduate textbooks - or at least they were ten years ago! I have no idea if they are available in the US though.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

My degree is in Nuclear, but our department was combined with chemical until this year. Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot is pretty much the standard recommendation all our professors gave, although our transport class was taught (by a chemical professor) out of Welty, Wicks, Wilson, and Rorrer. It was an ok book, but I don't have a lot of material to compare it against.

I'm a Chemical Engineer and Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot is still the golden standard. It's slightly more advanced and comprehensive than your average undergrad transport textbook, but still well suited for undergrads (and grads alike).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

(Effectively) all ABET accredited undergrad programs are the same, don't worry too much about where you go.

No.

Apprentice Dick posted:

This is pretty much it, unless you go somewhere like MIT. After you have ~2-3 years in no one cares where you got a degree or about your GPA as long as you have it and its accredited.

Yes on GPA, I dont even list mine after one year of work at a major tech company and have secured a new job more in line with that I want to do. No to it doesnt matter where you went.

If you want a prestigious job, they care where you went. Cal Poly, Stanford, MIT, and even some still big name schools that are less known for just engineering will be favored. This has been the case at both a top 5 defense contractor and top 5 tech company (by market cap).

That said I went to a school no one in the bay area had heard of and dint have a good GPA (3.01) and landed both those jobs within 2 years of graduating. If you can convince them youre resourceful, inventive etc (and have projects, research, experience to back it up) that will be more important than where you went and you GPA. Still I say I got there in SPITE of those facts about myself. Better to go somewhere that helps you if you can.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

Most of the items BigFatFlyingBloke mentioned are topics for a separations class, not transport (you did ask for both though). The standard undergrad transport texts are the three mentioned: 1. Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot 2. Welty, Wicks, Wilson, and Rorrer 3. Geankoplis. We used Deen's book for my graduate Transport class if you want something more advanced.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

hobbesmaster posted:

(Effectively) all ABET accredited undergrad programs are the same, don't worry too much about where you go.

*** But make sure that where you go has an active recruiting program for engineers. The easiest and best way to get a job out of school is to go to your career fair and make connections there. Throwing your resume off into space won't work. If you want to work for a top company, you pretty much have to go to a school where they recruit. North BFE State is going to get you stuck with the small, local guys for your first job.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ChipNDip posted:

*** But make sure that where you go has an active recruiting program for engineers. The easiest and best way to get a job out of school is to go to your career fair and make connections there. Throwing your resume off into space won't work. If you want to work for a top company, you pretty much have to go to a school where they recruit. North BFE State is going to get you stuck with the small, local guys for your first job.

My university has a very well-renowned engineering school, but for my specific major (ChemE), it's program is almost unknown and we get almost no targeted recruitment. What does one do in cases like this?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shipon posted:

My university has a very well-renowned engineering school, but for my specific major (ChemE), it's program is almost unknown and we get almost no targeted recruitment. What does one do in cases like this?

Become a master of LinkedIn. Apply to approximately infinite online things. (I prefer Indeed, keep an active search going). Make friends with your professors and TAs. The TAs may graduate and give you a good recommendation. Its up to you to market yourself in that case.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Shipon posted:

My university has a very well-renowned engineering school, but for my specific major (ChemE), it's program is almost unknown and we get almost no targeted recruitment. What does one do in cases like this?ve

When I read your post, I thought, "He must go to UCSD." Your profile says La Jolla, so I'm guessing that's right. I'm one of the few UCSD ChemE grads that actually work in the chemical industry now. You're right about there being no targeted recruitment, and part of that is because there are very few traditional Chemical Engineering jobs in the San Diego area. None of the people I still keep track of that graduated with me have jobs in SD. I personally ended up on the gulf coast. PM me if you have specific questions.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

BigBobio posted:

Most of the items BigFatFlyingBloke mentioned are topics for a separations class, not transport (you did ask for both though). The standard undergrad transport texts are the three mentioned: 1. Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot 2. Welty, Wicks, Wilson, and Rorrer 3. Geankoplis. We used Deen's book for my graduate Transport class if you want something more advanced.

We have two classes called transport processes I and II, the former being momentum and heat transfer with the latter being mass transfer and separations, so bit of confusion there thanks to names :v:

But I was in the lab today and my transport I professor came by and mentioned this and he lent me both Lightfoot and Welty, but said he thought the latter is better.

Thanks for the help.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My small college's engineering fair got cancelled last November due to lack of employer interest.

They rescheduled it for this week and the only big name that's showing up is Fluor (not local) and the local government GoToUSAJobs person. Almost everything else looks to be a local construction company.

Luckily, I'm already set but I feel bad for some of my friends.

CaptainCid
Jan 11, 2010
The engineering college at my university offered a program to earn a Master's in a 5th year with some extra courses and research during the first 4. I started the program intending to into research, but after finishing my BS & MS in ChemE in 2009 I went to work at a manufacturing site with in which the company I had interned.

Even though I have moved away from the R&D side associated with the Master's, I am still glad I took the extra year. The initial salary with a Master's degree was the most noticeable difference. The workload and scope was relatively the same for those of us who started at the same time. The internship was a bigger edge than the degree since I had learned the company systems and lingo.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

CaptainCid posted:

The engineering college at my university offered a program to earn a Master's in a 5th year with some extra courses and research during the first 4. I started the program intending to into research, but after finishing my BS & MS in ChemE in 2009 I went to work at a manufacturing site with in which the company I had interned.

Even though I have moved away from the R&D side associated with the Master's, I am still glad I took the extra year. The initial salary with a Master's degree was the most noticeable difference. The workload and scope was relatively the same for those of us who started at the same time. The internship was a bigger edge than the degree since I had learned the company systems and lingo.

I have had a similar experience after getting a Master's. Although I got a higher starting pay with the MS, I would have gotten a raise through experience after a year or two of working with a BS, so it was probably a wash in terms of pay.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does anyone have experience going from Canada to do engineering in Europe? I'm kind of curious about what it would be like to live in Europe (looking at Sweden due to me and my boyfriend learning the language) and possibly work, too. I know there's a few places where the language of business is stated as English, but I don't know what that's like in practice.

I'm still not sure what I want to do long term, engineering wise, but my degree is in electrical engineering.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Jyrraeth posted:

Does anyone have experience going from Canada to do engineering in Europe? I'm kind of curious about what it would be like to live in Europe (looking at Sweden due to me and my boyfriend learning the language) and possibly work, too. I know there's a few places where the language of business is stated as English, but I don't know what that's like in practice.

I'm still not sure what I want to do long term, engineering wise, but my degree is in electrical engineering.

As a Canadian you would probably have an easier time going to the UK. Canada is still part of the commonwealth and it will be easier to get whatever work visa you would need there, than in the rest of the EU.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Jyrraeth posted:

Pretty much a pipe dream unless you have a serious plan in place. Any Schengen country is going to kick your rear end to the curb after 90 days unless you have a job offer or a fuckton of money. Europe really isn't the kind of place you move to on a whim if you're still adrift in your career.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Can anyone who has worked in several different industries comment on strategies for lateral movement between industries? Is it common/best/easiest to just accept a lower-grade job in the new industry?

I was just offered a prominent job with a bump in pay and a decrease in cost of living but I have rejected it in hopes of moving into the tech industry (I am in aero). I would like to have a job I don't have to worry about my company constantly going under. I would like to make this switch in the next 1-5 years, so I know I have plenty of time, I just don't want to get too far deep into this aerospace hole and never be able to escape.

I live in the bay area and there are less than a handful of companies that do aerospace. In other words, I'm worried my company will tank in the next 5 years and I will have no fallout plan. But here I am sitting in the middle of the tech/consumer electronics industry and I am equally interested in working in that field.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 29, 2015

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Do you have any leads or connections to employers in the consumer electronics industry, or are you cold-calling open positions? If you don't have any kind of "in" to the industry, you're more likely going to just be rejected out of hand for looking like you're casting an inappropriately wide net in your job search.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
So at age 27 I decided that skating by through an IT career isn't where I want to keep going, and decided getting an actual degree is probably a good idea.

I hate IT, and am really interested in the internal mechanical workings of machines, so I'm going for a BSMS degree and I've got a couple questions.

I dropped out in sophomore year of high school ten years ago with the plan to get my high school equivalency and go straight to college. i got the HSE, but seeing as how I was 16 years old at the time, i just kind of hosed around playing and touring in a lovely band until I lucked into an IT job at 19, and have slowly climbing the IT ladder ever since.

Seeing as how an ME degree starts with Calc I, and my last math class was geometry ten years ago, I'm spending the three semesters in 2015 at CC doing Math 108 (Intermediate Alg), 143 (college algebra) and 144 (trig, 143 and 144 is basically splitting precalc into two classes) and transferring to university Spring 2016. I'm also getting my English, comm, and philosophy classes out of the way while I'm going to CC. My question is, is there any other classes you guys would recommend I take, such as a chemistry class? Do you see any issues going into Calc I after going through the three math classes above?

I also have a pretty decent paying job now, and am living like I'm on unemployment, squirreling away any and all money I can to not have to work during school. As it stands right now I can most likely save up enough to live off of for 2 and a half years if student loans covers tuition. Would you guys had that opportunity, would you spend the first half of the degree without a job, or the second half?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Second half without question. I almost burned out trying to juggle a full schedule of upper level courses and 40+ hours/week of work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why not do another year at community college? You should need at least another year of math, not to mention any other lower divs that transfer.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

An intro to chemistry course is probably a good idea, particularly if chemistry (and/or math, for stoichiometry and unit conversions) isn't your thing. It was about 18 years between my high school chemistry class and when I went back to school for an engineering degree. On the recommendation of the head of my CC's chemistry department, I took "preparatory general chemistry" and aced it, but a lot of my fellow students didn't do nearly as well. A year later, I'm now taking "general chemistry 1" and it doesn't seem much more intensive than the prep class (yet), but I suspect I'd be lost if my first chem class had been this one; the instructor goes much quicker and is harder to understand.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why not do another year at community college? You should need at least another year of math, not to mention any other lower divs that transfer.

Switching over to the University also involves me moving a couple hundred miles away from where I am now, which I something I really want to do.

Another year of math? What else would I take after I've gotten the Math 143 and 144 pre reqs for Math 170?

Hello Sailor posted:

An intro to chemistry course is probably a good idea, particularly if chemistry (and/or math, for stoichiometry and unit conversions) isn't your thing. It was about 18 years between my high school chemistry class and when I went back to school for an engineering degree. On the recommendation of the head of my CC's chemistry department, I took "preparatory general chemistry" and aced it, but a lot of my fellow students didn't do nearly as well. A year later, I'm now taking "general chemistry 1" and it doesn't seem much more intensive than the prep class (yet), but I suspect I'd be lost if my first chem class had been this one; the instructor goes much quicker and is harder to understand.

Thanks! I'll add CHEM 101 to my next semester.

Noctone posted:

Second half without question. I almost burned out trying to juggle a full schedule of upper level courses and 40+ hours/week of work.

Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ddiddles posted:

Another year of math? What else would I take after I've gotten the Math 143 and 144 pre reqs for Math 170?
My CC offered Calc 1, 2, 3, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations. I took them all there rather than pay university tuition for them.

edit: also Discrete Math and Boolean Algebra. My degree needs a lot of random math classes that my CC thankfully offered.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 30, 2015