Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My question is why would you use leaded gasoline in a chainsaw where you're going to be breathing in all the exhaust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DreadLlama posted:

This is not intended as a personal attack. But I would like to seriously know what the gently caress. You can buy a battery chainsaw that will sit for years at a time and only needs regular old electricity from the wall outlet to recharge. Why is going to an airport to get 100LL a better option?

You're assuming an electrical outlet is readily available, or else that the user is willing to lug a generator around to run their electric saw (and then they'd have to manage fuel for the generator...). You may also be making assumptions about how close small airfields are. The right solution for suburbia is probably not the right solution for a farm or other less densely-populated area.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also chainsaw pants don't work with electric chainsaws.

That's not actually a reason to get a gas saw, but it's always worth pointing out.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bad Munki posted:

Also chainsaw pants don't work with electric chainsaws.

Why?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gas engines have their best torque at higher RPMs, the threads in the pants bog it down to low speed very quickly at which point it stalls out.

Electric motors, on the other hand, apply maximum torque when bogged down.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Usually this comes down to cost/performance ratio and runtime. The top of the line battery powered chainsaws are $700 with 1 battery and a 16" bar, whereas $700 will buy you a 28" bar, 60cc monster that will make you question why 2 strokes aren't installed in everything. Fuel refills take 5 minutes, batteries take at least 30 minutes or more depending on the charger/battery combo.

Also, the smell, 100LL is some good cologne.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

DreadLlama posted:

Thank you very much for this information. Unfortunately it steers me away from the echo. But with that said,

This is not intended as a personal attack. But I would like to seriously know what the gently caress. You can buy a battery chainsaw that will sit for years at a time and only needs regular old electricity from the wall outlet to recharge. Why is going to an airport to get 100LL a better option?

I have a good friend that lives right next to a small airstrip where I can buy 100LL by the gallon. It's not at inconvenient for me since I just stop by when I go see him.

I've used a Greenworks battery saw, it's a fine saw for small trees. Unless I buy a whole bunch of batteries I can't take it out into the woods and cut all day. Fuel is easy to haul.

Like someone said earlier, the battery saws are probably fine for the vast majority of homeowners. But if you're going to use a gas saw, I definitely recommend 100LL (or I guess the premix fuel which is probably a healthier version of the same stuff).

I never really thought about the lead fumes. Maybe that's why I keep forgetting where I parked my car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rather than using aviation fuel that is literally illegal to use for any purpose other than aviation, you could use the grade and mix of gasoline that the manufacturer recommends and take 10 minutes at the end of the season to drain the carburetor bowl and/or pour in some fuel stabilizer. You know, maintenance.

If the chainsaw only starts on 100LL then there's something wrong with it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

My question is why would you use leaded gasoline in a chainsaw where you're going to be breathing in all the exhaust

Same reason I use Kester 44 leaded solder, it's just easier to work with

:(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OSU_Matthew posted:

Soldering with lead doesn’t result in ærosolised lead, though.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Electric motors, on the other hand, apply maximum torque when bogged down.

Largely true for DC motors, but it's worth making the point this is not the case for induction motors and others. They produce more torque closer to their synchronous speed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Leadfree solder is a POX

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lead-free solder is totally fine if you have two brain cells to rub together about what you're doing.

i still prefer 63/37 eutectic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

lead-free solder is totally fine if you have two brain cells to rub together about what you're doing.

i still prefer 63/37 eutectic

That’s maybe a little harsh, but yes, while nothing will ever flow quite as well as 63/37 tin/lead, working with lead‐free isn’t a big deal unless you’re a defence contractor.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Oh thanks, instructables! http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Homemade-Table-Saw-With-Circular-Saw/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

How to remove your fingers in three easy steps!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Oh look, that thing that every single circular saw manual says you absolutely must not do. And you went and did it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I installed siding one summer in college (in the 90s before cheap compound miter saws were everywhere) and we had this commercially-made mutant cousin of a black and decker workmate that was designed to turn a circular saw into a ghetto table saw. I can't remember how it dealt with the trigger issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if zip ties were involved. It had a switch on the leg that you plugged the saw into, almost like a real table saw.

Using it for anything other than quick cross cuts on siding would have sucked, but it wasn't awful, and let a bunch of college chucklefucks make decent cuts.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I had this huge ranting review of that thing all typed up, and they wanted me to sign in before posting. Bleh. I'll say it here though, following those instructions will be used as just cause for your insurance company to deny your claim after you inevitably maim yourself using it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pazrs posted:

Largely true for DC motors, but it's worth making the point this is not the case for induction motors and others. They produce more torque closer to their synchronous speed.

I thought it was the function of the DC motor controller not the motor itself. So if you were to bypass the controller and wire the motor directly then you're not going to get the benefit. I'm not sure though because I've never wired a DC motor without a controller.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Soldering with lead doesn’t result in ærosolised lead, though.

That's what I thought, lead doesn't vaporize until 1750C, right? The smoke from soldering is just the flux boiling off (which I'm sure isn't great to breathe either), but generally speaking, so long as you wash your hands before eating you should be fine with leaded solder, correct?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I had this huge ranting review of that thing all typed up, and they wanted me to sign in before posting. Bleh. I'll say it here though, following those instructions will be used as just cause for your insurance company to deny your claim after you inevitably maim yourself using it.

The thing that gets me is that this isn't even just some goober uploading his DIY project, it's from a Lifehacker wannabe "tips" blog. If you look at the other articles, there are a bunch for "fixing" or "improving" Li batteries. "Well Done Tips" indeed :burn:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hubis posted:

The thing that gets me is that this isn't even just some goober uploading his DIY project, it's from a Lifehacker wannabe "tips" blog. If you look at the other articles, there are a bunch for "fixing" or "improving" Li batteries. "Well Done Tips" indeed :burn:

Those things are the best kind of Dunning-Kruger style idiot traps. People who have no clue but think they're clever enough to figure it out follow a guide that they don't know enough to call bullshit on, and suddenly! House fire! Why the gently caress would you mess with lithium batteries, outside of maybe exchanging the cells if the pack goes dead? They're basically a road flare waiting to go off.

Edit: And the packs are soldered, most lithium batteries you buy won't have solder tabs on them, which means you'll most likely damage the cells trying to get the wires to stick, then the whole thing will short when attached to a load, fun times!

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 21, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's what I thought, lead doesn't vaporize until 1750C, right? The smoke from soldering is just the flux boiling off (which I'm sure isn't great to breathe either), but generally speaking, so long as you wash your hands before eating you should be fine with leaded solder, correct?

Yes. Just don’t sand or grind it.

For hobbyist work, the health concerns of leaded solder are minimal. Flux fumes will give you respiratory problems long before you get lead poisoning.

But I still use lead‐free solder for new projects because, again, it really isn’t hard to work with. The main thing I notice is that I have to be more diligent about cleaning the tip of the iron.

It’s best not to mix solder types, so when repairing old equipment, use 63/37 tin/lead and when repairing new stuff, use a lead‐free alloy (my formulation of choice is Sn100C).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

For hobbyist work, the health concerns of leaded solder are minimal. Flux fumes will give you respiratory problems long before you get lead poisoning.

And that's why you don't solder in the state of California.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Yes. Just don’t sand or grind it.

And the flux fumes, if you're using rosin, are really no worse for you than hanging out around a campfire. You would want a fume extractor if you're going to be burning off flux all day every day, but the occasional exposure is essentially negligible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hanging around a campfire is actually pretty terrible for you if you live in a hut and do it every day. Like, worse than 2017 LA smog.

But yes, go with rosin over no‐clean or water‐soluble flux (which is only really soluble in heated water in an ultrasonic cleaner).

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Why the gently caress would you mess with lithium batteries, outside of maybe exchanging the cells if the pack goes dead? They're basically a road flare waiting to go off.

That's what both of his article are about though. It's not THAT hard to assemble a li-ion pack if you have a good iron and a fat tip, but it's definitely a pain in the rear end and I'll never do it again unless I buy a battery welding rig

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Jesus christ that Festool sander from the deal way back in October better be amazing. Ordered on October 17, current estimated shipping date is now April 21.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I really like mine, been using it since November. :smug:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm still upset I couldn't nab one :smith:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
A couple weeks ago I needed a 20v battery drill for a project and wound up getting a Porter Cable 20v w/ Lithium batteries because that was what was on sale. Now that I'm a couple paychecks farther along I've been looking at getting a couple extra add-ons. Can anyone sound off on the quality of the newer Porter Cable battery driven reciprocating and circular saws?

Also me and my mom were thinking about going halfsies on a garden tiller since both of us have projects that need one but neither wanted to pay full price for something we'll use at most once a year. We both have small suburban yards and were looking at something like this since we're both fine with an electric corded tiller. Anyone have any good or bad words on the brand/model?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

keep it down up there! posted:

I'm still upset I couldn't nab one :smith:

Me too, I even looked at it when it was available and thought "I don't need to spend $99 on a sander" and a month later mine poo poo the bed.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

A Yolo Wizard posted:

That's what both of his article are about though. It's not THAT hard to assemble a li-ion pack if you have a good iron and a fat tip, but it's definitely a pain in the rear end and I'll never do it again unless I buy a battery welding rig

Doing it right without overheating the cell is very tricky to do. There are apparently a number of overtemp failure modes that aren't readily obvious to the person doing the work. Damage to the membrane holding the electrolyte goo in is the most common issue when you overcook one end trying to get the unfluxed tab to stick. Plus do you really think the average person dicking with that actually has a good soldering rig, vs. a $20 Radio Shack one?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Hmmm.

:emo:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:stonk:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
That's Do It Best, a store brand for a lot of independent hardware stores. Though, also hilarious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Satisfaction Guaranteed

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for babby's first electrical saw? I've finally got a small space to work on projects And I'm looking for a inexpensive way of cutting wood faster and more accurately than with a hand saw. Googling around has lead me to think that the most economical solution will be a circular saw, and while price is the biggest consideration, i don't just want to run out and grab the cheapest Harbor Freight Special and hope it works. Does anyone know of any sales going on or other cheap models from good brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for babby's first electrical saw? I've finally got a small space to work on projects And I'm looking for a inexpensive way of cutting wood faster and more accurately than with a hand saw. Googling around has lead me to think that the most economical solution will be a circular saw, and while price is the biggest consideration, i don't just want to run out and grab the cheapest Harbor Freight Special and hope it works. Does anyone know of any sales going on or other cheap models from good brands?

Corded or cordless? A circular saw can be an incredibly useful piece of gear, sort of replacing a miter saw or table saw. As for brands, I honestly don't think it matters much. A circle saw isn't a precision instrument, unlike a miter/table saw. Skills, DeWalt, Makita, any major brand will be fine. Also invest in a good combo square and a long edge clamp for breaking down sheet goods.