Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Heading up to Kettler to see the Caps practice tomorrow and might be getting a helmet and/or elbow pads. Anything I should consider? Both seem straightforwards with fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Elbow pads should come just about to your gloves for maximum slash protection. Helmets should be without cages for maximum concussion protection.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Finally committed to a jersey number and I went to the pro shop to get it done today. Ended up walking out with a new pair of gloves too... I swear hockey gear is like crack or something.

Going to the hockey store is bad for the wallet, I went in for a pair of socks today and ended up getting some new gloves as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyguy posted:

Yeah, luckily nobody saw me do it. That's sure a startling feeling though. Both my feet just slid out and I landed on my side.

For that you would have owed a round of drinks at the bar on several teams I've played on.

EDIT: I don't understand the hockey gear is crack thing. Buying 1 pair of the best is usually cheaper than 2 pairs of mid level stuff at retail. Why not just get the best thing and be done with it for many years?

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Heading up to Kettler to see the Caps practice tomorrow and might be getting a helmet and/or elbow pads. Anything I should consider? Both seem straightforwards with fitting.

I had no idea that you could just show up and watch the Caps practice; that's pretty awesome. I'm only an hour away from Kettler, so I'll have to check it out sometime.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

For that you would have owed a round of drinks at the bar on several teams I've played on.

EDIT: I don't understand the hockey gear is crack thing. Buying 1 pair of the best is usually cheaper than 2 pairs of mid level stuff at retail. Why not just get the best thing and be done with it for many years?

Every year there's always a new "best" to make idiots like me long for it.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Charlie posted:

I had no idea that you could just show up and watch the Caps practice; that's pretty awesome. I'm only an hour away from Kettler, so I'll have to check it out sometime.

Most teams close practices to the public during playoffs.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Charlie posted:

capitalstoday.com is your friend for this.

Tried on helmets and boy are the fittings a little interesting. I really like the Easton S19 but I can't bring myself to hit "order". almost forgot to add a visor, duh!

AAB fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 6, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

AboveAndBeyond posted:

capitalstoday.com is your friend for this.

Tried on helmets and boy are the fittings a little interesting. I really like the Easton S19 but I can't bring myself to hit "order". almost forgot to add a visor, duh!

They're on deep discount at hockey monkey, if you didn't know: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-helmet-stealth-s19-zshock.html

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

thats where I got it from :ssh:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nice helmet. I got the E700 because the S19 didn't quite fit my head right.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

shyguy posted:

Yeah, luckily nobody saw me do it. That's sure a startling feeling though. Both my feet just slid out and I landed on my side.

I'm sorry. I laughed :3:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

ItalicSquirrel posted:

Is the white stick snake oil? Probably - in fact it messed me up a few times when I just lost track of the stick in my periphery...
Aren't you supposed to play by feel? Guess what now it's a training tool, too. It's hard to justify not painting a stick white.

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

coldwind posted:

Aren't you supposed to play by feel? Guess what now it's a training tool, too. It's hard to justify not painting a stick white.

Once you've used a stick for a period or so, absolutely. I ran into some issues trying to make quick breakout passes off the boards before I got comfortable and my hand-(peripheral)-eye coordination wasn't quite there yet.

The comment was more to disprove Easton's ambitious marketing than anything - the stick is great, but not at all because it's white.

Also learned something from a trip to a Chicago-area Total Hockey - apparently Easton had a ton of issues with the Stealth RS blades cracking. Furthermore, a lot of the Stealth RS sticks used in the pros (at least at the beginning) were just S19s with RS graphics.

I used a Stealth for about 6 months (still carry it) and didn't have the problem, but I'm told they fixed the issue with the Mako.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is anyone in the 6'3"-6'4" range?

What do you do about sticks?

Do I just put a wooden plug into one or can I order or find taller sticks somewhere?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Krime posted:

Do I just put a wooden plug into one or can I order or find taller sticks somewhere?

Warrior Widow, or Easton sells some taller sticks, or some pro returns are taller. If all else fails butt end it is.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I find the wood plug changes the balance/feel too much for me, so I just play with the full stick. But I really only had half a hands worth of plug in the end.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Krime posted:

I am. I'm usually stuck to wooden sticks, but i recently found a cheap composite stick called Pulse 3.0 that were long enough. Sucks that one of the bauer sticks was on sale for the same price, but the longest were still 10 cm too short

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Krime posted:

Warrior has some new sticks that are absurdly tall. I'm hoping this isn't a new thing they do with all their sticks, because I'm 6'0'' and they're way too tall for me.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gio posted:

Warrior has some new sticks that are absurdly tall. I'm hoping this isn't a new thing they do with all their sticks, because I'm 6'0'' and they're way too tall for me.

Wow yeah, looks like their new sticks are 63". And the intermediates are 60"! Warrior: Sticks for tall people who like obnoxious colors.

e: Or I guess normal people who want a whippy as hell stick. Get a 55 flex 60" intermediate and take a couple inches off.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 7, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

And the intermediates are 60"!

Are these measurements for the whole stick or just the shaft? My int TotalOne shaft is 49", so I can't even imagine playing with a 60". I don't have to cut or extend it, so 49" works out perfectly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did they change how they measure them maybe? There's at least three different ways to measure a stick depending on how you feel like doing it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are these measurements for the whole stick or just the shaft? My int TotalOne shaft is 49", so I can't even imagine playing with a 60". I don't have to cut or extend it, so 49" works out perfectly.

I think it's butt to heel or something like that.

xzzy posted:

Did they change how they measure them maybe? There's at least three different ways to measure a stick depending on how you feel like doing it.

On the IW site one of the specs is "Additional three-inch stick length to avoid use of heavy extensions and end plugs" so I think they're just straight up longer.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

At least Warrior's sticks are starting to look somewhat normal and not completely douchey. But yeah I never understood why they named a stick "Kronik" and had 420 on it with deer-hunter-camo colors.

Thufir posted:

On the IW site one of the specs is "Additional three-inch stick length to avoid use of heavy extensions and end plugs" so I think they're just straight up longer.
They are. I've compared the old ones with the new ones and they're for giants exclusively.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

On the topic of white sticks, there were some Mako sticks on sale for $70 and I was very tempted to get one. I have a couple Warriors right now but I kinda want an 85 flex. I can't shoot a slap shot worth a poo poo with an 85 flex, but that's pretty much it and who the hell shoots slap shots in drop-in/adult leagues? That guy, that's who.

I couldn't care less if it was all white or all black, I just wanted a cheap 85 flex stick.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Thufir posted:

Wow yeah, looks like their new sticks are 63". And the intermediates are 60"! Warrior: Sticks for tall people who like obnoxious colors.

e: Or I guess normal people who want a whippy as hell stick. Get a 55 flex 60" intermediate and take a couple inches off.

It wouldn't be 55 flex anymore if a person of normal height had to cut it down enough to use it.

Also those Warrior intermediates are only an inch shorter than I am, and the seniors are taller than me. :v:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 7, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey sticks are one area where I'm glad I'm completely average. Basically every senior stick in the store is made exactly for someone my size.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gio posted:

who the hell shoots slap shots in drop-in/adult leagues? That guy, that's who.

I agree about drop-in, but why wouldn't you take slappers in an adult league? Other than new/LTP teams, I don't think I've ever seen a team not take slappers.

I'm a wing and even I take 1 or 2 a game. I've never scored with one, but they usually generate good rebound/garbage goal opportunities. I do actively try not to take them if someone is right in the shooting lane though.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I agree about drop-in, but why wouldn't you take slappers in an adult league? Other than new/LTP teams, I don't think I've ever seen a team not take slappers.

I'm a wing and even I take 1 or 2 a game. I've never scored with one, but they usually generate good rebound/garbage goal opportunities. I do actively try not to take them if someone is right in the shooting lane though.
I dunno, if it's just you and the goalie that's fine obviously, but they're not as effective as wristers or snap shots anyways. From the point is kinda lame.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I attempt slap shots whenever I can, but it helps that my shots are so drat feeble it doesn't really matter what I do.

Added bonus: In the rare event I get some velocity, my shots are glued to the ice, I am genuinely unable to get any kind of elevation. The enormous thud it makes off the goalie's leg pads amuses me, and rebound scrambles are always fun.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Everyone on my team, especially our defenseman, love to only take slappers. With the sheer amount of blocked/poke checked shot attempts we have, you would think that maybe they would try for the quicker wrist/snap shot instead. Not really the case...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Because (1) your average beer leaguer can't control the shot at all, (2) it takes longer to shoot so more likely to get poke checked away or blocked, (3) shoot a snap shot instead idiot.

;)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The best slap shot I've ever had was from a face off win in the opponent zone, I was playing right wing so I was near the center of the ice in the slot. I was hunched over waiting for the drop and the draw was won straight to me. As the puck came, I was debating to catch it or to try and one time it knowing my timing would more than likely end up in a whiff. I remember my bottom hand being really low on my stick from bending over and resting on it. I went for the one timer, bending down to one knee to get more on it, putting more flex into my stick than I had ever done before. It hit the far side of the net before people had even seen who won the draw. One of my favorite goals.

Slap shots are one of those things in hockey that too many people practice more than they should. If people put as much time into their wrist shots or stick handling as they did their slappers, they would probably score 10 more than they do. Most sticks and pucks I go to, its 20 kids taking slapshots for 2 hours, and about 3 guys working on their skating, accuracy, passing etc. Way more effective for me personally to work on my stick handling and wrist shots than slappers.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I don't slap shot at all because my wrister and snap shot are stronger =(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Topoisomerase posted:

It wouldn't be 55 flex anymore if a person of normal height had to cut it down enough to use it.

Also those Warrior intermediates are only an inch shorter than I am, and the seniors are taller than me. :v:

I know but the average senior stick is 60" and 85 flex. The 55 flex may become 65-70 post-cut but that's still way flexier than a normal adult stick.

I can't slap shot for poo poo so I don't.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Gio posted:

I dunno, if it's just you and the goalie that's fine obviously, but they're not as effective as wristers or snap shots anyways. From the point is kinda lame.

What? Taking a slap shot from the point is the best time to take a slap shot. But, Topoisomerase makes a good point if we are discussing drop-in leagues about control.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I've been contemplating shorting my stick by an inch to 2 inches for better maneuverability. The problem is I love my stick the way it is right now, that could be from playing with it for the past half of a year in its current form. Its a 77 flex mainly for my wrist/snap shots. Cutting it down 2 inches I think puts it at 84ish flex which makes me a little wary of the process. I guess if I don't like it I can always put a plug back in however this is less than desirable

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

lazerwolf posted:

Speaking of... Anyone use it yet? I'm in the market for a 2nd shaft/blade combo and I saw this was an option. I currently use the Bauer APX with a PM9 X:60 blade and I love the poo poo out of it. Instead of just grabbing a second APX as a 'backup' I figured I'd check out the new stick releases as well

I picked up the Mako about two weeks ago. I've used it in two pickups, two games, and some stationary shooting behind my house.

I love it. 100% complete love. As stated, it's ultra light, and I actually think the feel to the stick is far superior to the RS, which admittedly I've only done some light stick handling with. It's more in line with the ST, which is what I replaced, but better. More responsive. Never used an EQXX so can't compare to that line.

I'm using an 85 Cammalleri curve. It also feels easier to flex than my 85 Zetterberg ST.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's nothing cooler than when you're playing drop-in and are playing posts, and hit all 3 posts on one shot :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yes, but playing posts at drop-in means you have no goalies and no shooter-tutor. So also :smithicide:

For the other thing:

slap-shots in beer league are pretty lame, except when there's absolutely zero traffic (for whatever reason). I'm a defenseman, so I'm guilty of using them a lot more than I should, but it's usually more of a slap/snap-pass to the far side about 3" off the ice, and at half speed to boot.

Anyone who ever winds up above their waist is an rear end in a top hat.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 7, 2012