Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Casao posted:

Why would getting the upgrade you've already contracted for require another contract?

Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ninmeister posted:

I have my 3rd EVO 4G refurb replacement on its way. I forget, do they offer TEP on a refurb when you get it? I'm starting to think it might be a good idea.

Yes they do.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

FISHMANPET posted:

My Evo (just plain Evo) does this, moreso when it's plugged in and charging. Usually for me if I wipe off the screen it gets better, but sometimes not.

Hm, I tried this without much success. It seems to go away for a while if I do a reboot, but eventually just comes back. Feels like a firmware thing, but I guess I don't know for sure

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Alman posted:

Has anyone had issues with their EVO 3D touchscreen registering ghost taps? Mine has started constantly bugging out and it's getting to the point where it's almost unusable. Checked for firmware and HTC updates, no dice.

on my plain EVO4G, I found that if I get a small droplet of water on the screen it freaks out, you might just need to clean it better. Or maybe there is something beneath the screen protector if you have one?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Alman posted:

Has anyone had issues with their EVO 3D touchscreen registering ghost taps? Mine has started constantly bugging out and it's getting to the point where it's almost unusable. Checked for firmware and HTC updates, no dice.

If you've got the no lock app installed this is the culprit. Took me a while to figure that out.

The Masked Unit
Feb 10, 2010

Sir, I challenge you to fisticuffs!

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Then why isn't this $400 off deal better known? Something just doesn't make sense to me.
Because it was kept quiet and now you jerks are gonna ruin it for the few of us who knew and were making mad bank off of it. :mad:

edit: gently caress it hit Slickdeals 2 hours ago too. Well it was fun while it lasted. All of these orders are gonna get cancelled now.

The Masked Unit fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 24, 2011

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

The Masked Unit posted:

Because it was kept quiet and now you jerks are gonna ruin it for the few of us who knew and were making mad bank off of it. :mad:

edit: gently caress it hit Slickdeals 2 hours ago too. Well it was fun while it lasted. All of these orders are gonna get cancelled now.

Goddamnit, the only hope I had for this was "It's not on Slickdeals"

EDIT: At least it appears to be getting down voted into oblivion.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 24, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Where's the wifi antenna on the 3d? Just so I know the OPTIMAL HOLDING POSITION

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I would imagine these guys will buy it at the subsidized price and then sell it at the un-subsidized price. Then the buyers are left having to sign a 2 year contract to activate what they thought was an off-contract phone, or they will think they can just activate it on AT&T or T-Mobile which sounds like it isn't possible.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Has anyone tried the SIM slot in the Sprint iPhone 4S to see if it's unlocked? I ordered one for myself and I'm curious to see if it actually works.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Still no luck on getting my Evo with the busted charging port fixed. I've tried a couple Sprint stores, and they've either told me to buy a new phone, buy an external charger, or sign up for TEP and file a claim to get it replaced for $100. Am I just having bad luck with Sprint, or was Duckman mistaken about the "known issue" thing. I mostly get blank stares when bringing that up.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Are you making sure that the store is an actual official Repair Center as listed on Sprint.com, and not just a retail store? Because the latter may just be staffed by idiots.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 25, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Has anyone tried the SIM slot in the Sprint iPhone 4S to see if it's unlocked? I ordered one for myself and I'm curious to see if it actually works.
I tried T-Mo and AT&T and it is not domestic unlocked. International probably is, if Engadget is to be believed.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2011

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

td4guy posted:

Are you making sure that the store is an actual officlal Repair Center as listed on Sprint.com, and not just a retail store? Because the latter may just be staffed by idiots.

Yeah, they've all been Repair Centers.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

ddogflex posted:

You have to sign a 2 year contract with Sprint no matter where the phone comes from.
A 2-year contract is the only way to get an iPhone from Sprint? No month to month? In that case I might just get one through Verizon.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I tried T-Mo and AT&T and it is not domestic unlocked. International probably is, if Engadget is to be believed.

Purely out of curiosity, have you tried calling Sprint and asking to unlock it? I doubt any of the CSRs would have the faintest clue what that is yet, but it couldn't hurt to try I guess.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
Anyone have their orders canceled?

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/24/sprint-and-apple-working-on-fixing-slow-data-speeds-apple-store-glitches/

quote:

Sprint (and Apple) also had a slip up today by offering the iPhone 4S off-contract for only $199 (supposed to be $650). A forum user explained earlier:

quote:

Tax included depending on your shipping address. When checking out, system does not prompt you to enter SSN or sign up for new contract. It does, however, require you to agree to Sprint’s TOS via checkbox. Basically, you’re getting the subsidized price without the new contract signup.

The issue was fixed and according to Apple “refunds will be issued.”

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mr. Ali posted:

Anyone have their orders canceled?

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/24/sprint-and-apple-working-on-fixing-slow-data-speeds-apple-store-glitches/

The issue was fixed and according to Apple “refunds will be issued.”
[/quote]

Mine hasn't been cancelled yet. Probably won't get it, but here's hoping.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

that Vai sound posted:

A 2-year contract is the only way to get an iPhone from Sprint? No month to month? In that case I might just get one through Verizon.
No. A 2-year contract is the only way to get any service from Sprint.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Thanks for loving it up Slickdeals.

I'm sure a bunch of knuckleheads there put in some orders of 100+ hoping to flip them for $300+ profit. Because Apple won't notice people ordering 50some iPhones.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
Here's hoping the one I ordered for the girlfriend goes through. All she does is complain about her LG Optimus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"Toebone" posted:

Still no luck on getting my Evo with the busted charging port fixed. I've tried a couple Sprint stores, and they've either told me to buy a new phone, buy an external charger, or sign up for TEP and file a claim to get it replaced for $100. Am I just having bad luck with Sprint, or was Duckman mistaken about the "known issue" thing. I mostly get blank stares when bringing that up.

PM me your last name and cell number, I can check it out Wednesday.

And for the record, signing up with sprint requires a contract whether you buy a phone or provide your own.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Purely out of curiosity, have you tried calling Sprint and asking to unlock it? I doubt any of the CSRs would have the faintest clue what that is yet, but it couldn't hurt to try I guess.

It's been reported that it's not currently unlockable like that, they're doing a fancy dance with it and you'll end up being able to do this, but not yet.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
Just learned that the Airave network is down nationwide. Thanks for the heads-up there Sprint. Thankfully someone called me on my backup,(a prepaid Verizon) to tell me my phone has been going straight to voicemail all morning.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

9axle posted:

Just learned that the Airave network is down nationwide. Thanks for the heads-up there Sprint. Thankfully someone called me on my backup,(a prepaid Verizon) to tell me my phone has been going straight to voicemail all morning.

Have you ever looked into Google Voice? The deep integration that Sprint has with GV could be quite useful to you...

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
I set up a google voice in an effort to find a work around that would allow me to get calls on the prepaid. I work for a railroad, and get called by a computerized call system to be notified for work. There is a test function to ensure your phone in compatible with the system, and the prepaid is not. I have no idea why, but it isn't. The GV worked, sort of. It would ring the prepaid once, but the delay would cause the computer to give up before I could answer it. I might be able to fix this when I track down the one person who knows how are crew-call system works, but I haven't found them yet.

I like Sprint, I have been with them for 10+ years, but since I got this job, I need better reliability. Unfortunately, I have 4 lines, all spread out time wise, so its probably going to cost me a well over a grand to change over, between etfs, activation fees and the fact that I have won't be able to resist the urge to get all new Iphones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casao posted:

It's been reported that it's not currently unlockable like that, they're doing a fancy dance with it and you'll end up being able to do this, but not yet.

Far as I know official stance is the iPhone is sold locked and sprint will not currently unlock it. If that changes or if someone makes an exception great, but officially I wouldn't guarantee it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My mom's iPhone order has shipped. I've never done an online order before...will activating it when it comes in be a painless process that she can do on her own?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Duckman2008 posted:

Far as I know official stance is the iPhone is sold locked and sprint will not currently unlock it. If that changes or if someone makes an exception great, but officially I wouldn't guarantee it.

Official PR on the subject

quote:

"Sprint's policy is to have the iPhone 4S SIM locked to our network domestically and internationally. At launch, the International SIM will be unlocked. We do expect a SIM lock to be pushed to the devices shortly after launch. We will then allow existing customers in good standing to unlock the SIM for international use if needed in the future."

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

brc64 posted:

My mom's iPhone order has shipped. I've never done an online order before...will activating it when it comes in be a painless process that she can do on her own?

I just turned mine on, and it activated automatically after a few minutes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Worse case she calls in and they switch it over, otherwise really easy. Nearest Sprint store will also do it, and swap her contacts.

Nice part about working at a 3rd party tech center is I actually get paid for contact swaps, phone setups, etc when they are not my sales, so send her to a tech center if possible, they get paid for it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Mine was painless. The whole activation was through the phone, and it already had my number. Asked a couple details to verify ownership of account and then it was up and running a couple minutes later after going through all the welcome screens.

I was using to the old way where you had to call up Sprint and unlock this or that etc.

I also noticed they have an activation area in your account that you enter the phone's details so that might work without calling as well.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

9axle posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering why I kept jumping between 1 and 0 bars, enough to keep the call connected but barely able to understand anyone.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Sprint to Launch LTE Advanced Network in 2013

14 months away...:negative:

\/\/\/\/ Yep. I can't type worth a poo poo today. Edited to correct it.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 26, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ozmodiar posted:

Sprint to Launch LTE Advanced Network in 2010

I assume you mean 2013?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Kind of an obscure question: Back in the day Nextel had a service called Direct-Talk, it was like Direct Connect, but it was off line, you didn't need to be on the iDen network. I was wondering if that still would work as a cool walkie talkie with old Nextel phones. Seeing as they are really cheap now on Ebay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

Kind of an obscure question: Back in the day Nextel had a service called Direct-Talk, it was like Direct Connect, but it was off line, you didn't need to be on the iDen network. I was wondering if that still would work as a cool walkie talkie with old Nextel phones. Seeing as they are really cheap now on Ebay.

Yep, all Nextel Walkie phones are capable of working off cell towers within local range. I forget the range they have, but its pretty ridiculous from what I remember.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ozmodiar posted:

Sprint to Launch LTE Advanced Network in 2013

\/\/\/\/ Yep. I can't type worth a poo poo today. Edited to correct it.

I am fine with this. I am 18 months away from being eligible and it will probably be at least that long before LTE is available in my market and there is a phone on Sprint that I would want that supports LTE.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So has anyone tried the new EVO that came out a few days ago? I'm thinking about replacing my original EVO with it. How does it measure up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Update on that hacked-subsidized iPhone from apple.com. I received it, but it didn't say Sprint anywhere on the packing list or the box. I took it to the Apple Store and they scanned the barcode and told me it was Sprint. Hooray! So no worries there. Good luck on your orders, everyone.