Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

A normal game for well-adjusted people

And I'm guessing that each unit in each stack needs to resolve it's own attack against an individual unit in another stack, each with its own unique modifiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lichtenstein posted:

So there will be a COIN called A Thunder Out of China.

The COIN geeklist is a wonder -- good lord that's a lot of prototypes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

T-Bone posted:

I take back what I said. Stop this train, I want to get off.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

And I'm guessing that each unit in each stack needs to resolve it's own attack against an individual unit in another stack, each with its own unique modifiers?

Depends. If two units occupy a hex but only one moved to get there (the other already being there) you could choose to attack the one that moved. You could choose a different type of attack (area fire) that could hit both, but its a different set of rules/rolls to make and isn't as effective.

Those blazes (the red counters) look like they are from burning wrecks of vehicles (tanks or LVTs). And some of those stacks are larger in appearance when it could be a few MMCs (Your regular squad) with some SW (because of course they get their own counter!) and some leaders.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

T-Bone posted:

That, uh, could actually be pretty cool?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

COOL CORN posted:

A normal game for well-adjusted people

Like I said, I've played just enough ASL to know that this looks like a complete cluster-gently caress. And given how historically accurate ASL scenarios tend to be, I suddenly feel like I need to learn more about D-Day at Tarawa, because military cluster-fucks utterly fascinate me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ilor posted:

Like I said, I've played just enough ASL to know that this looks like a complete cluster-gently caress. And given how historically accurate ASL scenarios tend to be, I suddenly feel like I need to learn more about D-Day at Tarawa, because military cluster-fucks utterly fascinate me.

Just so you're clear, D-Day at Tarawa is a John Butterfield game that's relatively simple. Blood Reef Tarawa is the ASL module that's an absolute disasterpiece.

I finished the first turn of DDaT tonight and it's a lot of fun! Pretty simple, and made to play solo. When I get through the 10 turns of the intro scenario, I'll post about it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

StashAugustine posted:

That, uh, could actually be pretty cool?

Designer: Harold Buchanan :barf:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

COOL CORN posted:

Just so you're clear, D-Day at Tarawa is a John Butterfield game that's relatively simple. Blood Reef Tarawa is the ASL module that's an absolute disasterpiece.

I finished the first turn of DDaT tonight and it's a lot of fun! Pretty simple, and made to play solo. When I get through the 10 turns of the intro scenario, I'll post about it.
Oh, sorry, I see now that I wasn't being concise (and I was inadvertently using the name of the game in my post). What I actually mean is that I now feel the need to read historical accounts of the US's attack on the Japanese positions at Tarawa. Because if the ASL version is, as you so eloquently put it, a "disasterpiece," then I'll bet the actual engagement has exactly the kind of catastrophic military tomfuckery that I find makes for good reading.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ilor posted:

Oh, sorry, I see now that I wasn't being concise (and I was inadvertently using the name of the game in my post). What I actually mean is that I now feel the need to read historical accounts of the US's attack on the Japanese positions at Tarawa. Because if the ASL version is, as you so eloquently put it, a "disasterpiece," then I'll bet the actual engagement has exactly the kind of catastrophic military tomfuckery that I find makes for good reading.

IIRC Tarawa was the first time the Japanese really held their ground and fought tooth and nail against amphibious forces and it turned into a meatgrinder for both sides.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jobbo_Fett posted:

IIRC Tarawa was the first time the Japanese really held their ground and fought tooth and nail against amphibious forces and it turned into a meatgrinder for both sides.

There was also the fact that Tarawa is so small (much of South Tarawa is only around 500m wide) that it was a huge problem simply to get enough troops onto the atoll and have space to fight, not to mention all the corpses that started piling up on the tiny atoll pretty quickly.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

T-Bone posted:

Honestly I think the COIN games are getting played out and the system is showing its creakiness. There was a little bit of it in Fire in the Lake and I think Pendragon and Liberty or Death kinda have it in spades.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I agree, FITL is creaky and LOD is really creaky but drat if FS isn't good. I think the system is flexible but struggles when the wars it is attempting to model are actually wars. I think Ireland/Algeria/Angola etc would still suit the system fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain are absolute gems. I like Falling Sky, but I just have no interest in the era, so I probably won't revisit it after our PBF game :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo can you tell what this is that I just set up

Why am I doing this to myself

At least it's a small scenario and not the whole campaign game

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I splurged my first doctoring paycheck on a copy of DAK2 and Here I Stand.

Send help.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

Send help.

Send DAK2

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

tomdidiot posted:

Send help.

I spent mine on Falling Sky, CC Mediterranean and a proper counter clipper :respek:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Morholt posted:

CC Mediterranean

Got this coming in the mail! Stoked to be able to play CC Stalingrad

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

So there will be a COIN called A Thunder Out of China.

- China-Japan warlords war 1937 to 1941
- "Japanese, CCP, KMT Central, KMT Warlords - but the emphases are different" - BT
- "Unlike Andean Abyss, which was 1 counterinsurgent and 3 insurgents, this is 3 counterinsurgents and 1 insurgent but they all still hate each other." - BT

This could be awesome? I would guess the population's support is either for the government or the communists. The warlords are kind of a grab bag faction, maybe they want uncontrolled population like in ADP? And Japan would just be looking for control of population.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I'm going to be playing Hannibal with a friend for the first time on Saturday. Reading the rules, Im going to be Carthage.

Other than to take an aggressive stance from the off, any tips for a first timer. Should I be looking to do the impossible and take Rome or is it enough to just weaken armies and control land in Italy without necessarily going for the jugular.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

- "Japanese, CCP, KMT Central, KMT Warlords - but the emphases are different" - BT
- "Unlike Andean Abyss, which was 1 counterinsurgent and 3 insurgents, this is 3 counterinsurgents and 1 insurgent but they all still hate each other." - BT

This could be awesome? I would guess the population's support is either for the government or the communists. The warlords are kind of a grab bag faction, maybe they want uncontrolled population like in ADP? And Japan would just be looking for control of population.

I assume the Chinese factions will have some minor ways to "help" each other, since they're nominally allied against the Japanese, which should make for some interesting in-fighting.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Could, because Brian Train is a cool and fun designer, however three COIN factions sound quite uncool, as COIN series is really quite poo poo at conventional warfare, turning it into a most basic exercise in force concentration and jockeying for initiative.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tomdidiot posted:

Send help.
Yeah, because gently caress paying off student loans for med-school, there's GAMES TO BE PLAYED! :)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

I splurged my first doctoring paycheck on a copy of DAK2 ...

Hell yeah -- let's hear it for another monster gamer!

:cheers:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Hell yeah -- let's hear it for another monster gamer!

:cheers:

I'm saving up for DAK. Apparently as long as you print off the latest rules/charts/etc., there's no difference between the two versions other than artwork.

Also, I just found out that ASL makes a distinction between units being ADJACENT and units being adjacent.

Jesus loving christ.

:geno:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

I'm saving up for DAK. Apparently as long as you print off the latest rules/charts/etc., there's no difference between the two versions other than artwork.

Nice. Looks like you can pick up a good copy for $100 over at BGG right now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

Also, I just found out that ASL makes a distinction between units being ADJACENT and units being adjacent.

Jesus loving christ.

:geno:

Well duh, ADJACENT is an acronym meaning Anti-Defense Joint Attack Combat Enemy/Neutral Tanks, they're completely different from units that are merely adjacent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Jobbo can you tell what this is that I just set up

Why am I doing this to myself

At least it's a small scenario and not the whole campaign game

A selfish solo game, thats what! :colbert:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
It's pretty dead here at work today, so does anyone want to play Empire of the Sun over VASSAL? I can't connect directly, but I can set up a Google Drive or something.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Volko posted on BGG:

"I would put Pendragon at the top end of complexity, similar to FitL, maybe a small step beyond that. It has Pivotal Events, Capability and Momentum Events like FitL, dice for Raids and Battles, adds a variety of Stronghold types for Bases, Foederati rules, etc. It's Imperium track is more involved either than the Trail or FNI and alters victory conditions to account for the decay of the Empire within Britannia. And so on."

I was looking forward to Pendragon, especially after Falling Sky turned out to be even better than expected, but this quote gives me pause.

All the prototypes in that geeklist are so far out from actual production that I don't want to waste brainspace speculating about them.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
I can't remember, do we talk about Twilight Struggle in here or is it not enough of a "wargame"?

Either way I'm getting loving sick of Coup rolls being so swingy and it's really souring me on what used to be my absolute favorite game of all time. Cannot wait for diceless Imperial Struggle.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

There are no elitist grogs here. We once even talked about star wars risk for a couple of posts.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Elitist grog chat only from this post onwards: please don't talk about COINs especially as we all know that they are filthy euro games.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

No one in the other thread ever answered my question about Dawn Patrol, but you old-school grogs might. Simply: does it hold up at all these days? I loved it when I was a kid (when I did more staring at all the different plane counters than actually playing the game), but haven't played it for probably 25 years.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

No one in the other thread ever answered my question about Dawn Patrol, but you old-school grogs might. Simply: does it hold up at all these days? I loved it when I was a kid (when I did more staring at all the different plane counters than actually playing the game), but haven't played it for probably 25 years.

I last played it in the early 80s in grade school so . . . no idea. It probably doesn't hold up, though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Could, because Brian Train is a cool and fun designer, however three COIN factions sound quite uncool, as COIN series is really quite poo poo at conventional warfare, turning it into a most basic exercise in force concentration and jockeying for initiative.

Yeah presumably there'd have to be some kind of offensive command letting you move and attack, though as I recall all sides in the conflict had a lot of trouble projecting power outside their base areas.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Conquest7706 posted:

I can't remember, do we talk about Twilight Struggle in here or is it not enough of a "wargame"?

Either way I'm getting loving sick of Coup rolls being so swingy and it's really souring me on what used to be my absolute favorite game of all time. Cannot wait for diceless Imperial Struggle.

Couping battlegrounds to get Defcon down to deny counter-coups can be a good thing to do.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm going to be playing Hannibal with a friend for the first time on Saturday. Reading the rules, Im going to be Carthage.

Other than to take an aggressive stance from the off, any tips for a first timer. Should I be looking to do the impossible and take Rome or is it enough to just weaken armies and control land in Italy without necessarily going for the jugular.

Am playing tomorrow, any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Fat Turkey posted:

Am playing tomorrow, any help?

Here's a link to rule summary and reference that should help.

Biggest thing I can think of is to make sure you keep your lines of retreat open. Suddenly losing a combat and then having to lose 3 more dudes because you had to retreat through enemy spaces can be a real killer.