Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Scalia, concurring: posted:

The response is also familiar: A vocal minority of the Court, waving over their heads a ream of the most recent abolitionist studies (a superabundant genre) as though they have discovered the lost folios of Shakespeare, insist that now, at long last, the death penalty must be abolished for good. Mind you, not once in the history of the American Republic has this Court ever suggested the death penalty is categorically impermissible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So... The court is implying they agree the drug is cruel and unusual, but since there aren't any alternatives, its a 'whelp oh well, gently caress you' sort of thing? :psyduck:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

No, Midazolam is the only sedative the states can get their hands on, because the more powerful and effective sedatives have been made unavailable to the states for executions by anti-death penalty advocates.

They only looked at barbituates though, I don't understand why they don't just use propofol.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Devor posted:

From Scotusblog:

So the inmates can't argue that a drug that would be used to kill them is cruel and unusual, unless they present another drug that is feasible AND available.

Sorry, this drug may be cruel and unusual but you didn't give us an alternative way that you'd like to die. And we really do need to kill you.

Nice.

I guess the important distinction here is whether something can be judged cruel and unusual in the abstract, or whether it should be judged cruel and unusual compared to all possible alternatives. I had never really thought about that before, but it sorta makes sense.

Basically, the court has ruled that the anti-death penalty side can't end the death penalty by making sure all methods are cruel and unusual, by definition, at least one available method has to be acceptable compared to all others, even if it means a firing squad is the best available alternative.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Northjayhawk posted:

I guess the important distinction here is whether something can be judged cruel and unusual in the abstract, or whether it should be judged cruel and unusual compared to all possible alternatives. I had never really thought about that before, but it sorta makes sense.

Basically, the court has ruled that the anti-death penalty side can't end the death penalty by making sure all methods are cruel and unusual, by definition, at least one available method has to be acceptable compared to all others, even if it means a firing squad is the best available alternative.

gently caress, that's grim.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

They only looked at barbituates though, I don't understand why they don't just use propofol.

Neither side brought it up. The states want to use what is written in their law, and the other side sure as hell doesn't want to bring it up because they don't want their clients to die, they only brought up "acceptable" alternatives that they knew the states did not have access to.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
A note on Fisher - Justice Kagan recused herself from consideration of the petition. Just like last time, she will recuse herself it seems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

gently caress, that's grim.

The death penalty is constitutional and that was not in question in this case (with the exception of 2 justices). Given that its not "cruel and unusual" in general then they have to show that the current method is "cruel and unusual" compared to other methods of execution and they apparently didn't do that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So... The court is implying they agree the drug is cruel and unusual, but since there aren't any alternatives, its a 'whelp oh well, gently caress you' sort of thing? :psyduck:

No. The court is stating that since barbiturate protocols are constitutional, the inmates would have to prove that midazolam is cruel and unusual in comparison to the barbiturate protocols, and that they failed to do so. The Court said they had to identify an alternative protocol, which the petitioners argued they didn't have to do and shouldn't have to do.

I have to say, it's kind of hosed up to make the prisoner argue for an alternative instead of placing that burden on the state.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

hobbesmaster posted:

They were, the EU said they would ban shipments of Propfol immediately if it was used that way, the medical community poo poo their pants and said it would be disastrous for the US medical system if they did that so they backed off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

No. The court is stating that since barbiturate protocols are constitutional, the inmates would have to prove that midazolam is cruel and unusual in comparison to the barbiturate protocols, and that they failed to do so. The Court said they had to identify an alternative protocol, which the petitioners argued they didn't have to do and shouldn't have to do.

I have to say, it's kind of hosed up to make the prisoner argue for an alternative instead of placing that burden on the state.

Scalia's angry victory lap of a concurrence basically says "You can't kill the death penalty by individually finding each method cruel and unusual, quit trying :smug:"

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Even though they no longer can legally force the end of the death penalty by making sure better methods are unavailable, its probably still in the anti-death penalty side's best interest to continue to force states to use crappy Midazolam, in the hopes that more botched executions happen to drive up public sentiment to end executions.

Unless a lot of judges are replaced, it has to end legislatively, the supreme court is closed off for the forseeable future.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ginsburg concurred

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, seems like the justices have really riled each other up, Scalia is now reading his concurrence in response to Breyer's dissent. Stop doing that, I want to know about the other cases!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
A follow-up on Fisher: Justice Kagan is the only justice with actual experience administering affirmative action.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
We have Arizona. RBG writing.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ginsburg wrote the Arizona case!

gently caress yeah

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Next up Arizona, with Ginsburg writing the opinion!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
RBG has the Arizona opinion, 5-4

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress Yes!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The Arizona legislature does have standing to sue, but they lose on the merits. A commission can be used for redistricting.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Woo

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

The Arizona legislature does have standing to sue, but they lose on the merits. A commission can be used for redistricting.

Holy poo poo. Did not see that coming.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

HAHAHAH suck it GOP.

Seriously I did not expect that at all.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Liberal victory?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The human coin-flip, Kennedy, joins the liberals. The conservatives dissent.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Wow, that's actually the one unexpected outcome this term. Well, that and Fair Housing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Phew, that's a relief.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I wonder if you can read anything about AA from Fair Housing. It would be hard not to make the disparate impact argument when it comes to race and education with a short leap to AA being a remedy to it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Wow, that's actually the one unexpected outcome this term. Well, that and Fair Housing.

And I would add Obamacare

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It must be great to be justice Kennedy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So can this ruling apply to other states with GOP stranglehold districting?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

People were saying beforehand that it only really applied to Arizona and California.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

And I would add Obamacare

It going 6-3 was unexpected but the rest was kinda obvious in retrospect.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

No, it made it permissible to take redistricting away from the legislature, but that's up to these legislatures themselves, or the electorate if a state permits popular referendums.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Warszawa posted:

Fair Housing is a pretty big case

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

They have to actually have a commission. The AZ legislature did not get a say because the people passed the law via a ballot initiative. States that don't have a ballot initiative process (or where its very hard) would need the legislature to decide to use a commission. Good loving luck with that.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

StandardVC10 posted:

People were saying beforehand that it only really applied to Arizona and California.

Iowa has a commission too, but no one cares because they only have 4 seats

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Let's not pretend that it's only the Republicans who use gerrymandering, the Democrats just don't have as many opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
A never ending train of :unsmith: