Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

jivjov posted:

easiest thing to do would be to make the heist something of Clone Wars vintage. A crashed separatist ship or old Republic listening post or something?

Are the doctor and gunslinger old enough to have been doing stuff during the war? You could flash back and do an encounter during a battle or something.

Soup Inspector posted:

Bonus points if the crime bosses who are after the doctor are also trying to steal whatever's in the crashed ship/listening post. Perhaps they're also interested in the gunslinger for whatever reason would be appropriate (their skill? They've had a run-in with the gunslinger in the past?) and they'd be happy to leave the group alone... if they sell their droid to them (after all, when you've been working around Jedi you've probably got some very valuable data in your databanks). Or maybe they try to take the droid by force instead. Though of course you should probably be careful with the droid suggestion since it would suck for the droid's player if the rest of the party went "Okay, have fun!" and just forked the droid over.

This is all great. I don't know if the gunslinger will have a backstory that involves the clone wars but I can just ask the player if he doesn't mind including that. I'm thinking some kind of crash on a planet with a hostile environment to recover stuff for a job, they have to get into the ship, there's some cool puzzles/stuff in there to navigate, they meet the crime lords already there, bing bam boom fight scene, the mechanic repairs the ship to fly again, they get chased out of the atmosphere in a stuttery old ship that nonetheless has big-rear end cannons, hyperspace jump, end of one-shot.

Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
No problem at all! Let us know how that session goes, I'm curious to see what happens. And hey, if all else fails and the game seems to have stalled, have a gaggle of stormtroopers (or Imperial Army soldiers in appropriate kit) bust in because an informant saw a bunch of very suspicious and well armed people hanging around that old wreck (or hell, they saw the aforementioned very suspicious and well armed people whilst on a routine patrol).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Strange Cares posted:

I'm trying to think of an EoTE one-shot adventure hook for a party consisting of:
A clone soldier deserter who specializes in heavy weaponry named "Artillery" (Artie for short)
A droid mechanic who used to be a companion to a jedi during the clone wars and tried to become a jedi before realizing that droids can't use the force, so now is just mechanically spiritual
A Bothan doctor on the run from crime bosses after falsely practicing chiropracty and stealing their diamonds
A generic scoundrel-type gunslinger.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards some kind of heist but I'd like to tie in the characters backstories somehow.

Chiropractors aren't really doctors. :eng101:

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Star Wars was a long time ago, they didn't know that back then. It was the olden days.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Part of his backstory is that he's a doctor who was asked to do chiropracty by a crime boss and despite it being fake, he couldn't refuse. so when it didn't work, he went on the run and stole some diamonds along his way.
:thejoke:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ugh, imagine a Hutt doing Master Cleanse.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Realized a weird/stupid thing last night when someone attacked my Rakatan Predor and rolled a despair and a ton of failures: I couldn't use Reflect to knock the bolt back his way.

Because apparently, with Reflect, you can only knock back a bolt that successfully hits you. Which seems incredibly backwards to me.

Anyone else have any ideas about why this is the way this is?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Because if it didn't hit you it was never a real threat to you, so it was never in a position for you to reflect?

**Edit**
However, you could argue that the despair they rolled represented you reflecting it back (or threat being a...threat from the bolt being reflected) to them so I guess that depends on how the dice are interpreted in the moment.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Swags posted:

Realized a weird/stupid thing last night when someone attacked my Rakatan Predor and rolled a despair and a ton of failures: I couldn't use Reflect to knock the bolt back his way.

Because apparently, with Reflect, you can only knock back a bolt that successfully hits you. Which seems incredibly backwards to me.

probably because there's already so many things in the system (dodge, defensive stance, cover, armor w/ defense, defensive circle) that makes you harder to hit.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 4, 2019

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Swags posted:

This game is supposed to be dangerous. It's not particularly dramatic to reflect something that wasn't even going to hit you in the first place.

The later ranks of Reflect make it really good. Stacking soak enough to tank blaster bolts is great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Man, I haven't even started really playing yet, and I already want to rewrite all the Lightsaber Form classes for game balance reasons and because I'm a geek.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Today is finally the streetdate for Rise of the Separatists! Hopefully my store got it in! [Edit: they didn't]

Also, another new adversary deck was solicited to retailers, no release date given, Republic and Separatist II, with NPCs and enemies from Collapse of the Republic

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 9, 2019

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This book is really, really good but I wish they had reprinted LAAT and V19

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I wonder how much of the new Gear and Gadgets book will be original stuff, not already published.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I hope for a lot. The gear books for WEG RPG were bonkers and I loved them

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

This book is really, really good but I wish they had reprinted LAAT and V19

Well, there's hope for those in Collapse of the Republic, I guess

EDIT: The LAAT/i is actually in Rise. Its in with Speeders, not starships.

Carteret posted:

I wonder how much of the new Gear and Gadgets book will be original stuff, not already published.

Speaking of that book, I love the new layout of gear stat blocks. Very readable

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 11, 2019

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Death Watch!

Really cool. Hopefully this one doesn't take years to come out

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious if they're gonna give Clones a signature ability in Collapse. It seems like they're making Clones functionally identical to every other career (three specs in one book, three more in another), that I hope it happens

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the best way to incorporate non-jedi characters with F&D jedis? Im thinking of running an old republic game, and I dont want the non-jedis to be too gimped. Just give them more starting XP?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've not seen a Jedi with lots of experience but at the beginning of a game regular characters have easily been able to keep up or outdo most Jedi characters

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I'm thinking of starting them atleast at 150 XP and with a lightsaber for some knight-level play.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
in my groups we never really had an issue. I'm sure if you did super number crunching you could point to a difference but the non jedi never felt like they were the 'second stringers' to the jedi.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

in my groups we never really had an issue. I'm sure if you did super number crunching you could point to a difference but the non jedi never felt like they were the 'second stringers' to the jedi.

That's good to hear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm sure there's some narrow build to use or whatever to turn a Jedi into a murder machine that clowns on everyone else but if there's any inherent thing about them that makes a gap I've never encountered it in a meaningful way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Especially at lower XP, force sensitives are just like any other character that just have a force power or two instead of a couple Talents. This game balances its force users really really well

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the best way to incorporate non-jedi characters with F&D jedis? Im thinking of running an old republic game, and I dont want the non-jedis to be too gimped. Just give them more starting XP?

Be like Mother and just let it be. A low levels especially, Jedi are no different than normal characters. And, while their cap is insane especially if you use the interpretation of Force Move that says they can move Tie Fighters, the others keep pace. By high levels, the other characters will be so good at doing one thing that it makes up for the Jedi being space wizards.

Stars D6, Star Wars D20, and Star Wars Saga, this game is not: Force Users are not god-modding.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
All my group ever felt the need to do to balance Jedi was crack down on abusing the left side of the Sense power tree, since that gets loving insane by the end.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Gotcha. I will let my players know. Thanks!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ablative posted:

All my group ever felt the need to do to balance Jedi was crack down on abusing the left side of the Sense power tree, since that gets loving insane by the end.

yea you do need to keep an eye on the later levels but by then you all should be Big drat Heroes in your own ways so it's just a matter of 'ok no I know it's kinda written as open to that but no you can't pull a Starkiller and Force Throw a Star Destroyer bridge' more than 'gently caress, Jedi Jeff is making this game boring for everyone' like other versions of the tabletop.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

My players are coming up on the end of their current campaign, which started with them as lowly Rebel agents, and is ending up 1000+ XP later with them having travelled through time to just after Episode 1 with the intention of taking out Palpatine before he can become the Emperor.

They're pretty likely to be able to pull it off, and we've more or less decided that if they do, our next campaign would be a Sequel Trilogy of sorts, with new characters living in the galaxy the first campaign created.

So my question is does anyone have any thoughrs about what would the galaxy look like 30 years after Episode 1 if Palpatine was exposed shortly after the invasion of Naboo?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Robot Style posted:

So my question is does anyone have any thoughrs about what would the galaxy look like 30 years after Episode 1 if Palpatine was exposed shortly after the invasion of Naboo?

https://youtu.be/P8ghXxXyAuw

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Robot Style posted:

His plan is already well underway by then, though. He's goaded the big corps into secession, and there is enough discontent with the Republic to make it fall anyway.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's kind of what I was thinking. Something like the Clone War would still happen, but without someone pulling the strings on both sides to declare himself the winner, it just keeps lumbering on until the weight of it brings the galaxy down.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Robot Style posted:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Something like the Clone War would still happen, but without someone pulling the strings on both sides to declare himself the winner, it just keeps lumbering on until the weight of it brings the galaxy down.

Until someone deploys a weapon that can defeat planetary force fields and end the years-long sieges. That's what the Death Star was for before Tarkin got hold of it. A Confederation Death Star would cause... well, some major timeline changes.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a list anywhere of all the available races and careers? With rules included would be nice but the book they're located in would also be fine.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/character/

They are also in oggdudes builder

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So do Jedi not get a capstone for their career? How do that work? Or is it just coming in a later book?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Leif. posted:

So do Jedi not get a capstone for their career? How do that work? Or is it just coming in a later book?

Each career has their choice between two, but they're all in the career specific books - same as with the other series.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Leif. posted:

None yet. In the game I'm starting, I'm addressing this by allowing the Jedi player to pay an in-career rate for his first Force & Destiny specialization, which will then serve as his career from that point forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Robot Style posted:

My players are coming up on the end of their current campaign, which started with them as lowly Rebel agents, and is ending up 1000+ XP later with them having travelled through time to just after Episode 1 with the intention of taking out Palpatine before he can become the Emperor.

They're pretty likely to be able to pull it off, and we've more or less decided that if they do, our next campaign would be a Sequel Trilogy of sorts, with new characters living in the galaxy the first campaign created.

The Separatist movement may still be a thing, but there's a lot of good reasons to think that the Republic might just let them go without Sheev beating the drums for war (through his minions). I mean, sure if you want to do Clone Wars II (without the clones since its likely that without Jango leading them there the Jedi would never find Kamino) then you certainly can. But personally, I'd let the CIS secede and have a cold war type scenario with the CIS vs the Republic being fought mostly in little spy vs spy stuff and trying to influence independent worlds to join one side or the other.

That way your players get to feel a sense of accomplishment ("we prevented the war!") but their new characters also have a solid goal ("we need to preserve the peace!")