Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

I'm confused about the folded American flag in Alex and Kelly's apartment. Aren't those given to family members who have had someone die in military service? Who died? It seems weird set dressing to have randomly in an apartment. It would be like having an Oscar just there. Something that specific needs an explanation.

They did, it's either for Kelly's dad, who they established was a soldier who died in Desert Storm back in like season 2, or Kelly's former fiancée who was also a soldier and died on a patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

They did, it's either for Kelly's dad, who they established was a soldier who died in Desert Storm back in like season 2, or Kelly's former fiancée who was also a soldier and died on a patrol.

Oh I completely forgot about that stuff. That makes complete sense.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
But yeah they killed off Dean Cain's character offscreen early last season. Heart attack while overseas doing humanitarian work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jassa posted:

But yeah they killed off Dean Cain's character offscreen early last season. Heart attack while overseas doing humanitarian work.

For a show that's pretty progressive, they have had 2 well known washed up chud actors on it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

For a show that's pretty progressive, they have had 2 well known washed up chud actors on it.

And killed them off once they got really bad

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

And killed them off once they got really bad

Kevin Sorbo was a well known shithead chud before he was on Supergirl. I think Dean Cane on relatively recently started being lovely? Like most of his stuff has been direct to video/streaming talking animal family movies.

Waiting for them to have James Woods on.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It sucks how cheap they've gotten with Martian Manhunter.

I loled when Rojas had all the Super Friends on the white board. Sentinel's secret identity shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Kevin Sorbo was a well known shithead chud before he was on Supergirl. I think Dean Cane on relatively recently started being lovely? Like most of his stuff has been direct to video/streaming talking animal family movies.

Waiting for them to have James Woods on.

Dean Cain was pretty openly bad when the show started but I understand he couldn't really rein it in on the job like they hoped when casting him for being a former Superman.
Sorbo was pretty clearly a role intended to die over the course of the season either way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Killer robot posted:

Dean Cain was pretty openly bad when the show started but I understand he couldn't really rein it in on the job like they hoped when casting him for being a former Superman.
Sorbo was pretty clearly a role intended to die over the course of the season either way.

That's pretty lovely for Cane. Imagine being worse than Kevin Sorbo?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spacebump posted:

I loled when Rojas had all the Super Friends on the white board. Sentinel's secret identity shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Andrea and William were talking to Kara right in front of a picture of Supergirl. The whole idea that people can't identify these super heroes is absurd and dumb and the show should really not be drawing attention to it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Andrea and William were talking to Kara right in front of a picture of Supergirl. The whole idea that people can't identify these super heroes is absurd and dumb and the show should really not be drawing attention to it.

I don't think superheroes are up your alley, try something more realistic like Jerry Bruckheimer-produced crime procedurals.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I don't think superheroes are up your alley, try something more realistic like Jerry Bruckheimer-produced crime procedurals.

It's fine so long as it's a background element that we just accept and ignore. But when you've got a character going "we've got to figure out everything we can about these super heroes!" and they can't recognise that one of them is standing right there because she's not in costume, if you're not playing that as a joke then you're doing it wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiggum posted:

I think Kara blends in better than Clark. Supergirl is this glamorous blond, who wears a red cape and a form hugging body suit. Kara Danvers looks like a woman who's facebook relationship status has her married to her cat and has a masters in library science. They are real good at making her look pretty plain and unremarkable, which is pretty hard when you're dealing with one of the most attractive people on TV.

But yea, one of the big concets of superheroes is that people can't tell when a superhero is right in front of them if they're wearing glasses or a hat.

Also, you'd think Nia would have a doctors note that she has narcolepsy to explain her falling asleep every so often due to her powers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Kara Danvers looks like a woman who's facebook relationship status has her married to her cat and has a masters in library science. They are real good at making her look pretty plain and unremarkable

No she doesn't, and no they aren't. They haven't even tried to do that since season one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean part of what I've always felt is people aren't trying to figure out Superman's secret identity because they don't even know that he has one. Like, as far as they're concerned he lives in the Fortress of Solitude and pops out every so often to save people. Ditto Supergirl, she's just some magic person from space, why would she be skulking around as a normal human?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean part of what I've always felt is people aren't trying to figure out Superman's secret identity because they don't even know that he has one. Like, as far as they're concerned he lives in the Fortress of Solitude and pops out every so often to save people. Ditto Supergirl, she's just some magic person from space, why would she be skulking around as a normal human?

That’s pretty much the plot of one of the post-Crisis issues back in the 80s. Lex tries to figure out who Superman really is, gets all of this data and feeds it into some sort of ultracomputer, and then when it tells him the answer is Clark Kent he flips out and absolutely refuses to accept that, instead deciding that he was a fool to ever think that Superman would pretend to be human. It rules.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also in the typical comic book continuity you can find pictures of Clark Kent shaking hands with Superman after being rescued by him or whatever. Even if the reader knows that was Martian Manhunter or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Killer robot posted:

Also in the typical comic book continuity you can find pictures of Clark Kent shaking hands with Superman after being rescued by him or whatever. Even if the reader knows that was Martian Manhunter or whatever.

It was Supergirl that one time!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I did like the one comic where Lex turns into the Flash and takes off his mask and is like "I have no idea who this is".

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

GreenNight posted:

I did like the one comic where Lex turns into the Flash and takes off his mask and is like "I have no idea who this is".

Not sure if it was adapted from a comic or if you're getting mixed up, but they did that in the animated series Justice League Unlimited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPefOfu2TIU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

jassa posted:

Not sure if it was adapted from a comic or if you're getting mixed up, but they did that in the animated series Justice League Unlimited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPefOfu2TIU

And it was even better because the voice actor for the Flash on that show was Michael Rosenbaum, who of course played Lex on Smallville!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Sure your hair looked a little weird

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Now of course in the real world the council would happily still vote for the sweetheart corporate deal, but hey.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I missed last week and am just now catching up and oh boy I'm excited to see the Supergirl writers turn their ham hands on more systemic issues.

We took a season on racism but since we blew half of this in the Phantom Zone I guess they're just gonna lightning round the rest of social reform, huh? 1 episode for pollution/climate change, and now 2 for prison reform/helping former prisoners get back into society/gentrification in general.

How many episodes are left this season? Gotta know how many are left for Supergirl to solve other systemic issues. Maybe in the series finale she can knock out Big Pharma real quick before KOing Lex Luthor or something.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What the actual gently caress is this show doing?

And I dunno if Superman and lois just fundamentally altered my perspective but Supergirl just looks so incredibly cheap all of a sudden. I don't get nearly the same level of cheap vibe from flash or Batwoman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The network, (and maybe the studio too, though not the people working on the show I'm sure they're doing their best), pretty clearly checked out on the show the moment they announced this was the last season -- they can't even be assed to make next episode promos!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just hope the last episode or two of the season can be good episodes/close out the series well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TwoPair posted:

I missed last week and am just now catching up and oh boy I'm excited to see the Supergirl writers turn their ham hands on more systemic issues.

The writers are very bad at it.

At least Thomas Lennon will be around next episode and he's always a delight.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

At least Thomas Lennon will be around next episode and he's always a delight.

Nyxzy's gonna get a sibling pounding SO bad next week!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

What the actual gently caress is this show doing?

And I dunno if Superman and lois just fundamentally altered my perspective but Supergirl just looks so incredibly cheap all of a sudden. I don't get nearly the same level of cheap vibe from flash or Batwoman.

The show's looked and felt cheap since it left CBS if we're being perfectly honest here. It turned it into a charm on the power of everyone involved still giving enough of a poo poo about it to make it work. Nowt that Melissa Benoist has said she's done it seems like things are just falling apart, AND Superman and Lois coming along and blowing the doors off all its sibling shows in terms of what an Arrowverse show can be if everyone involved put some loving effort into it really skews the perception as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

How many episodes are left this season?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Now of course in the real world the council would happily still vote for the sweetheart corporate deal, but hey.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking in that scene.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If the reason of the episodes were bad PSAs, i'd be pretty happy.

I really love how everyone just trusts everything Nyxi says without a second thought.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 10, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Do people in Newfoundland really sound vaguely Irish?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Kitty!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Supergirl turning into Nancy Drew is not something I saw coming.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Do people in Newfoundland really sound vaguely Irish?

Looking it up, sorta?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_English

quote:

Other Newfoundland dialects are influenced by the dialects of Ireland's southeastern counties, particularly Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and Cork. Still others blend elements of both and there is also a discernible influence of Scottish English.[4] This reflects the fact that while the Scottish came in smaller numbers than the English and Irish, they had a large influence on Newfoundland society.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I thought to myself "it would be funny if Supergirl used her heat vision as a laser pointer" and then she did.

A+

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
This episode was actually pretty decent! Though I'd be more invested in Lena's adventures with witchcraft if we had more than 9 episodes of the show remaining. I laughed when witch lady was telling her it took a lifetime to learn how to use magic properly because you just know Lena will somehow be an exception to that rule despite being such a skeptic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Has Lena really never seen magic before? I feel like she must have, surely?

Also, the way that witch described magic made it sound very scientific for something that's supposedly completely incompatible with it.