Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, B&N accidentally released the games a month early, according to rumor. Got mine today. And I used a coupon, which it looks like now they're saying you can't do.

I like Gorechosen, so this seemed like a no brainier. Only five characters though, unlike the 10 available for Gorechosen, so I'm hoping they do a little expansion in WD or something and add a couple more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

Didn't even know FW are doing AT kits

Plastic or resin? Because Forgeworld resin at AT scale is the HARDEST of passes for me lol

To be fair I have recently done a bunch of FW orders and the casts have been 99% perfect.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, B&N accidentally released the games a month early, according to rumor. Got mine today. And I used a coupon, which it looks like now they're saying you can't do.

That's brilliant, glad I grabbed them with a voucher too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What's in it that won't be in the BSF release?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JcDent posted:

What's in it that won't be in the BSF release?

Aside from the entirely separate game and rules?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
The thing I love about skirmish games is you can have loads of variety for the same price (or cheaper) as one army.

So between us my group has all six war cry warbands (or pre-ordered).

I also have Zarbags gits and 5 squig hoppers ordered from ebay, and my friend has 3 sigmar factions (legion of nagash, night haunt, fishy elves).

We also have four battlegroup boxes of titans between us, along with some knights and we only meet up every other week. And if that airplane game is cheapish...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Well, thats all the warcry terrain built, ready to pass of to my friend for painting. Tomorrow I start on the warbands I guess. Yay for a full week of nightly building stuff.

EDIT: Putting all the scenery together makes for a really packed board - half tempted to get another set for a perfect Mordheim board (2 kill team boards is about all we can manage before we have to play on the floor like we do with AT).

Don't really have the cash for something that frivolous but either way its some impressive scenery.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 6, 2019

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Anyone else notice the weird wording on the Iron Golem ability: "Spine-crushing Blow", from the Warcry starter box?

quote:

Add the value of this ability to the Strength characteristic of the next attack action made by this fighter this activation that has a Range characteristic of 3 or less.

I'm not quite sure what the second half of that sentence is trying to say. I think there's maybe a full stop missing somewhere.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Gunder posted:

Anyone else notice the weird wording on the Iron Golem ability: "Spine-crushing Blow", from the Warcry starter box?

I'm not quite sure what the second half of that sentence is trying to say. I think there's maybe a full stop missing somewhere.

You can't use this ability on an attack if the attack is from a weapon with 4+ range. Now, I'm not sure the Iron Golems have any models with a 4+ range - but if they do then you can't use this ability to boost it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They're probably future-proofing the ability for expansions.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Yeah it's future proofing. It gives them an ability to crack tough nuts (Stormcast buffed to T6, big monsters) but it is for melee range weapons only.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I had a Warcry intro game, the opposing warlord through a harpoon and skewered one of my dudes, who got dragged across the table and mauled to death by a Giant Dog.

Anyway I'll be buying the game this weekend.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Necro players, help!

Do you have a line on some better house rules, banned card lists and Dominion territory balancing examples?

Gonna run a campaign in September.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Necro players, help!

Do you have a line on some better house rules, banned card lists and Dominion territory balancing examples?

Gonna run a campaign in September.

So I am just about to start (this Saturday) a narrative Necromunda campaign. Here are my current draft house rules from the campaign pack:

quote:

Gangs: Fighters, Skills, Equipment:
1. Remember that games should be fun for both players!
2. If you want to take any fighters, weapons, equipment or skills which are not allowed in the core rules, but which are part of a cool idea, ask the arbitrator - it will probably be allowed!
Example: You are playing a gang where Champions do not have access to Shooting Skills, but you have a cool model with two pistols. With arbitrator’s permission, it is fine to take the Gunfighter skill, XP cost will be negotiable!
3. Fighters can drop or swap weapons as you like, they do not have to stick with their starting equipment. There is still a limit of 3 weapons that can be carried at any time.
4. Bionics still cost credits as normal, however they do not add to Fighters’ cost or to the Gang Rating.
Reason: Taking Bionics to repair injuries is essentially a tax to get Fighters back up to scratch (and it allows for cool models). I don’t think it should be making fighters actually worth more, since they are no stronger than before their injury.
5. Armoured Undersuits may not be taken.
Reason: This piece of kit is way cheaper and easier to get than heavy armour, but it’s just as good. It also stacks with Carapace Armour, Heavy Carapace Armour and Energy Shields, which can get pretty silly. The game is faster paced and more fun without 2+ saves!

I think the modifications to gangs/lists are not too contentious. Most important rule genuinely is no.1 - don't let people try to break the game, because it is breakable. I initially wrote a few examples and a short paragraph of justification, but decided to leave it out and deal with issues if they do come up. The central 2 precepts are gangs should have some sort of variety, if you're c/pasting the same loadout you are probably doing it wrong; and if you've found a foolproof way to dominate games, annihilate your enemies in the opening rounds, be invincible in close combat etc, you are probably doing it wrong. Don't be a dick essentially.

The other gang/list things are minor fixes to things that irked me. I tried not to get too into complex re-balancing, the unbalanced weapons should be dealt with by the first rule. Don't want players to have too much to remember or cross-reference when making choices.

quote:

Campaign Play:

1. Income from Territories is collected once per week, on Sunday night. Gangs still go through the rest of the post-battle sequence as normal, so can still gain income from scenario rewards, recruit fighters, buy equipment, gain advances, between games.
Reason: This is to stop players on a winning streak building up a large spread of territory and then raking in more credits than anyone else. This way, there are still advantages to winning, but it is on a steadier slope.
2. Taking a Critically Injured fighter to the Doc costs D6 x 10 credits.
Reason: it was very often cheaper and better to let a fighter die than to have him taken to the Doc, which discouraged players from keeping their wounded gangers and their interesting stories around.
3. Players decide what territory they would like to fight for and describe what their gang is trying to do. The arbitrator sets the narrative and matches 2 players up for a scenario.
4. Tactics Card allotment is custom. The number and selection method will be given to the players along with the scenario. Default is each player randomly picks 3 cards and keeps 2 of them.
5. Scenario Rewards are custom. They are announced for the winner and loser before the battle.
6. Scenarios will normally include an ‘Underdog Bonus’ for gangs with a smaller gang rating than their opponent, at the Arbitrator’s discretion:
a. For every full 200 points’ difference between the gangs, the weaker gang draws 1 extra tactics card, up to a limit of 3 extra cards.
b. For every full 500 points’ difference between the gangs, each fighter in the weaker gang (who takes part in the battle) will receive 1XP in addition to any other CP gained.
c. For every full 1000 points’ difference between the gangs, the weaker gang will gain 1 Reputation as a result of the battle, in addition to any other rewards.
7. Territory Boons are custom. They will be clearly noted in the Campaign Map section.

Campaign rules are kind of difficult to do without practice. The first rule, collect from territories once per week regardless of number of games played, is a pretty big change and I'm considering taking it out. It's just such a core part of how the economy works in Necromunda. I did it to stop successful gangs which accumulate good turf from spiraling upwards. But it will be simpler for players if I leave things as per the core rules and just adjust territories' boons to keep things under control.

I haven't added this yet but I will get the names of the 2(?) tactics cards that just remove a picked enemy fighter, or cause them to go OOA on an initiative test. They add nothing to the game, and cannot be used.

Underdog bonuses and cheaper doc visits, I'd be interested to hear peoples' thoughts.

Scenario rewards, overall I want to make them far more consistent. When playing campaigns by the book I found many scenarios to be dis-incentivized because the credit/xp payoff was simply not as high as the standard Stand-Off/Tunnel Skirmish scenario. So why would a player pick them? Obviously not such a problem in narrative play, but I will probably do a stock 2d6x10 for winner, d6x5 for the loser scenario reward for all full size games. Will adjust as required. In missions where players are looting or doing some other objective, rewards will instead be per objective, but again a bit more generous than the book.

Territory boons, similarly I wanted to even out the inconsistencies, buff up the really weak boons and rein back the horrendous ones like Archeotech Device.

I'll post scenarios and revised territories as I finalise them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The new Enforcers' pug-nosed Intercessor helmet heads make me unreasonably angry every time I see them.

I mean, goddamn. That's the best they could come up with?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

The new Enforcers' pug-nosed Intercessor helmet heads make me unreasonably angry every time I see them.

I mean, goddamn. That's the best they could come up with?

You're never going to build or paint any so why the gently caress does it matter?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Seriously Schaden, we know you're enthusiastic but can't physically engage with the hobby due to circumstances.

But you gotta post stuff of substance come the gently caress on.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SteelMentor posted:

Seriously Schaden, we know you're enthusiastic but can't physically engage with the hobby due to circumstances.

But you gotta post stuff of substance come the gently caress on.

Actually, funny story: my tiny hu-mon saw me looking at a Taurox with one of the mod kits (Blood and Skull's 6x6 I think or maybe it was the Zinge kit ?) and now all he'll talk about is how he wants a gun truck. So shortly I may have to pick up the Stormtroopers box, take knife-and-glue into hand for the first time in like 6 years (since he showed up, actually), and put plastic together. It'll ruin my gimmick but: the things we do for family, eh?

Those helmets are loving awful, though: no conversation with previous incarnations of Enforcer/Arbites, no original design elements either. gently caress, at least make grimdark bobby helmets or size-down the beakie helmets or something?

And they look sterile. Like: not everything has to be Blanche-grimdark-meets-Liefeld-strappy but this is loving Necromunda, smooth surfaces aren't really in the aesthetic. Maybe with a better paint scheme they'll improve?

:shrug:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

They are explicitly not Arbites, tho.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JcDent posted:

They are explicitly not Arbites, tho.

The old Enforcers were modeled on Arbites, though. The new ones are cosplaying Primaris Marines and it's kind of weird since nobody on Necromunda would have even seen one yet.

I think they'd look substantially better with whfb feudal hats, probably Empire.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

The old Enforcers were modeled on Arbites, though. The new ones are cosplaying Primaris Marines and it's kind of weird since nobody on Necromunda would have even seen one yet.

I think they'd look substantially better with whfb feudal hats, probably Empire.

Anything Empire looks boss.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren::siren: Warlord WIP :siren::frogsiren:

Still to do: Highlight the red and bone segments, highlight the silver nodules on the shoulders, pick out another couple of lenses, minor clean up, shade/highlight/clean up the head, etc. The left foot is raised and resting on a blob of greenstuff for now. Later, once I get around to final basing, it'll be resting on a pile of rubble.

I also have this goddamn pile of arms and weapons :shepface:

I'll be honest, I love this kit. I think this warlord is the single best model GW has ever produced. There are a couple of small things that could've been improved, such as cables being picked out better, but they're so minor they're unimportant and are likely a limitation of plastic versus resin at this scale. It takes forever to paint though. So much goddamn trim. I worked on one reaver and four warhounds simultaneously before this and that somehow felt like less of a slog. I think that's hindisght screwing with me though. Here's a little size comparison:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Dang that’s pretty. Where’d you get the head? Is that from one of the new upgrade kits?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Colony 87 Wave 3 Kickstarter is live. Probably the best Blanchitsu civilians for any Necromunda game (pace Lead Adventures' Astropolis).

This KS originally wasn't going to have the first two waves available but the guy sold the thing to Crooked Dice and they apparently had the capacity to make all 3 available:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/c87-3/colony-87-the-third-wave-28mm-sci-fi-civilians

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Models are a bit squat for my taste, but I really like the design artwork.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

berzerkmonkey posted:

Models are a bit squat for my taste, but I really like the design artwork.

I think this is the guy who blogs at Magpie and Old Lead which has an absurd amount of cool poo poo.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Moose-Alini posted:

Dang that’s pretty. Where’d you get the head? Is that from one of the new upgrade kits?

It's from the Sunfury sprue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

Well, you could argue they're emulating the MkIV armour, which has been around since the Heresy.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

:frogsiren::siren: Warlord WIP :siren::frogsiren:

Still to do: Highlight the red and bone segments, highlight the silver nodules on the shoulders, pick out another couple of lenses, minor clean up, shade/highlight/clean up the head, etc. The left foot is raised and resting on a blob of greenstuff for now. Later, once I get around to final basing, it'll be resting on a pile of rubble.

I also have this goddamn pile of arms and weapons :shepface:

I'll be honest, I love this kit. I think this warlord is the single best model GW has ever produced. There are a couple of small things that could've been improved, such as cables being picked out better, but they're so minor they're unimportant and are likely a limitation of plastic versus resin at this scale. It takes forever to paint though. So much goddamn trim. I worked on one reaver and four warhounds simultaneously before this and that somehow felt like less of a slog. I think that's hindisght screwing with me though. Here's a little size comparison:

Very nice!

Schadenboner posted:

Colony 87 Wave 3 Kickstarter is live. Probably the best Blanchitsu civilians for any Necromunda game (pace Lead Adventures' Astropolis).

This KS originally wasn't going to have the first two waves available but the guy sold the thing to Crooked Dice and they apparently had the capacity to make all 3 available:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/c87-3/colony-87-the-third-wave-28mm-sci-fi-civilians

I don't have the cash for them now, but I will absolutely be getting some of those!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Failson posted:

Very nice!

I don't have the cash for them now, but I will absolutely be getting some of those!

With the :britain: pound :smithicide:ing over Brexit and BoJo there's never been a better time to buy pledge! :v:

The Colony 87 stuff really makes me think of the Lucky Space bits of the Eisenhorn Ravenor :eng101: stories, the frontier where the Imperium thins out and must perforce mingle with the foul xeno &c. &c. Plus: Space-Slann which are, you know, always fun?

And the Magpie guy is the Colony 87 guy. I especially like his Ash Waste Nomads.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The Imperial Fists are the chapter who most hang out around Necromunda, right? I could see Planet-Governor Helmvar seeing a Primaris Marine during their latest stop-by and him thinking "drat, I better make my goon's armour look like that!".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They recruited off Necromunda back when Ian Watson wrote Space Marine, so sure! That makes a lot of sense, even if Cawl wouldn't send the new bigboys to a recruitment booth.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's still a recruiting station on Necromunda, it's come up several times in the new fluff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LashLightning posted:

The Imperial Fists are the chapter who most hang out around Necromunda, right? I could see Planet-Governor Helmvar seeing a Primaris Marine during their latest stop-by and him thinking "drat, I better make my goon's armour look like that!".

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comically enough I, too, am also joining a Necromunda campaign soon. I'm making Chaos Cultists out of the Traitor Guardsmen from Blackstone Fortress, the Traitor Commissar from the BF expansion, some cheap Chaos Cultist minis, the two priests that come with the Dark Apostle as a witch and his familiar, plus a couple Chaos Spawn from Age of Sigmar for when the blood magic goes bad. So that'll be... different, I think.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

moths posted:

They recruited off Necromunda back when Ian Watson wrote Space Marine, so sure! That makes a lot of sense, even if Cawl wouldn't send the new bigboys to a recruitment booth.

According to the Horus Heresy novel 'Praetorian of Dorn' they've been recruiting juvies from Necromunda's hive gangs since the place was brought into the Imperium by the Great Crusade

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It seems depressingly accurate that juves who don't make the cut would go on to join the Enforcers.

I love that they kept the Imperial Fists connection! I thought that had gotten scrubbed.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
The black books have some neat stories of the imperium going to war with the small technologically advanced empire that they bombed back into the Stone age and then named necromunda.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
And thats all of the plastic in the War Cry box clipped, trimmed and assembled!

...Just in time for the Saturday when I receive the other 3 warbands :sigh:

To be fair I am only building the snake dudes (and some night goblins for my personal warband) but man I am going to enjoy a night without the smell of plastic glue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What would be a better fit to home-kludge a Mordheim out of: Necromunda, Kill Team, or Warcry?

All the Old World races have AoS stats to work from, which suggests WC. But the old book is more-or-less compatible with Kill Team if you tweak the skills and specials...And Necromunda seems to have more parity with those, so huh.

My gut is telling me Kill Team, but I haven't even seen the WC book yet.