Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Jesus this is nutty poo poo. digging thru the tweets about this and i somehow didnt ever know anthony gallegos became a gaz employee. i remember him when he was a baby rear end intern on fuckin CGW/GFW radio literally a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm not going to share my whalenumber with you reprobates, but I showed my wife and she turned around and walked out of the room and hasn't spoken to me since

If I had an easy way of accounting for how much I spent on this game, I probably wouldn't tell myself for fear that I would stop speaking ala the Laughing Man. That being said, after downloading the game and logging in last night, how is it that in 18 months of not playing can there only still be the seven Advance Pack 3 heroes I don't own? I guess going for that sweet, sweet console loot cost them plenty.

I think my final roster tally was 4 yellow mans, 5 red mans, and most of the rest at 60, not including some of the later heroes like Blade, for whom I shamelessly advocated but never finished leveling up. The feels were tremendous, and its put me back in a place where I can't believe they are killing the whole game dead after just 4.5 years (I registered my account marvelheroes.com on May 5th, 2013). Never again shall I whale like I whaled for you, MH.

Groot Force was awesome, thanks for the memories, blah blah blah

/roybatty

EDIT: 2 days now? Gaz'ing all the way to the finish line.

rhinohelix fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 23, 2017

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
I'm honestly torn between celebrating the death of this game by cosmic'ing my first character, or uninstalling in delight that I Never Cosmic'd.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bizarre Echo posted:

I'm honestly torn between celebrating the death of this game by cosmic'ing my first character, or uninstalling in delight that I Never Cosmic'd.

Never Cosmic

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

vuorikissa posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/22/rumor-gazillion-is-dead-and-marvel-heroes-is-shutting-down-friday-not-at-the-end-of-the-year/

Man, I really need to sleep (1 am here) but I'm gonna miss all the fun in the oforums which will probably be gone by morning ...

quote:

Update: Former Gaz gameplay engineer Andrew Hair has now publicly cross-corroborated on Twitter parts of the letter we received from our source. “I know a lot of people are upset and wanting refunds for their purchases in Marvel Heroes,” he wrote, “but please keep in mind the developers were not paid out PTO, severance, and our medical insurance is ending in 8 days.”

They truly are failing to uphold their promises to the very end, get hosed Mr. Gaz.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Asros is going spoiler heavy on twitter, laying out stuff he was working on until the end. He says their downfall was not keeping enough staff to keep PC going when they moved to console.
- playable Thanos for Infinity War (like a WoW hero class)
- heavy challenge blind randomized group missions
- black panther rework with killmonger enhanced skin

I logged in and tooled around on my favorite characters briefly with shadowplay running but I'm bummed I'll never almost taste the sweet tea again, unless its on youtube somewhere. Kitty Pryde "Doom's here? WHAT IS GOING ON." So many great quotes, and the opening notes of the avengers tower music. Ahh well. I still miss Earth and Beyond and that's been gone 13 years.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Last laugh's on Gaz when they realize they already laid off the switch flipper and nobody else knows how to turn off the servers

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bagrada posted:

Asros is going spoiler heavy on twitter, laying out stuff he was working on until the end. He says their downfall was not keeping enough staff to keep PC going when they moved to console.

Gee really? Exactly what everyone said was going to happen??

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

bagrada posted:

He says their downfall was not keeping enough staff to keep PC going when they moved to console.

Did... did they really think nobody would notice?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dr. VonHugenstein posted:

Last laugh's on Gaz when they realize they already laid off the switch flipper and nobody else knows how to turn off the servers

poo poo if the games still somehow around Saturday I may have to finish cosmicking black widow.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Did... did they really think nobody would notice?

probably less that and more "if this game does so well on PC imagine how much of a goldmine consoles will be! who needs the PC audience"

theres a lot of people in the industry that seem to think that way, it's pretty frustrating. throw an established PC game under the bus for a chance at being a console success

the same thing happened to Loadout, which was a really fun and creative shooter centered around building your own weapons. PC version was coming along great, getting new content, had some momentum and a growing playerbase, then they abandoned the PC version for the PS4 version and once the PS4 version came out both versions of the game died off entirely

i dont know how many times this has to happen before people figure out that they shouldnt throw away PC users to chase console players, but im sure this wont be the last time

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

loadout ran out of players because it was trash

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ndub posted:

loadout ran out of players because it was trash

i mean, the PC userbase left because they were used to beta-test content that got released on the PS4 and not PC in any form at all. its ok if you didnt like the game but what happened to it was a lot more complicated than how you personally felt about the gameplay

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kelp Plankton posted:

i mean, the PC userbase left because they were used to beta-test content that got released on the PS4 and not PC in any form at all. its ok if you didnt like the game but what happened to it was a lot more complicated than how you personally felt about the gameplay

Yeah dumping the game for a console port that was already behind the pc version is never a good idea. It can work out like with warframe and stuff but you have to build confidence that whatever version is first isn't gonna be abandoned.

It's a lot easier to see a console release as a reset button but it just never works out that way.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Loadout was a fun game with a bunch of potential that got mishandled into the grave.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
It's fitting that ICR's steam avatar is from loadout

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

HebrewMagic posted:

It's fitting that ICR's steam avatar is from loadout

Hell yeah.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

im glad they moved the death date up because it saved me a large download

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

i mean, the PC userbase left because they were used to beta-test content that got released on the PS4 and not PC in any form at all.
This is the real kicker, in my opinion. They released a new co-op(?) game mode in beta on PC, then removed it and made the non-beta version PS4 exclusive!

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Ah man, I was thinking about re-downloading the game at some point to rip as many character VOs as I could, but with only two days to go… :effort:

If you do, I can save you some time: the VOs are in SFX_InitialDownloadChunk_INT.pck and you want to use Wwise Unpacker.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

https://www.pcgamesn.com/marvel-heroes/marvel-heroes-shut-down

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

[Oskar Schindler, distraught] This pin. Two fortune cards. This is gold. Two more cosmics. I could have leveled two for it, at least one. One more prestige. A yellow Jean, Stern. For this.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

McSpanky posted:

They truly are failing to uphold their promises to the very end, get hosed Mr. Gaz.

And of course, now people are being lovely to those individual employees on Twitter and Reddit, thinking those employees somehow have the power to get them refunds when they just found out they're all fired specifically because they're all out of the office for Thanksgiving.

I feel so, so bad for the Gazillion employees.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
this is the best system update I could have imagined. Game had so much potential and they hosed it up every time

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I must’ve dropped $750 on this game at least. Sigh.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mover posted:

[Oskar Schindler, distraught] This pin. Two fortune cards. This is gold. Two more cosmics. I could have leveled two for it, at least one. One more prestige. A yellow Jean, Stern. For this.

lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Samara posted:

I must’ve dropped $750 on this game at least. Sigh.

I'm not even mad about the amount, I've spent more on other lovely online timewasters, I'm mad I gave it to such an underhanded scumfuck company.

The console dudes that didn't even get six friggin months out of the game rather got the rug pulled, though.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I'm just a minnow, but I'm glad that the money I spent went towards funding a game that hooked me like no other game ever has during a time when we were all naive and optimistic about the future of it. It really turned me on to comic books and helped introduce me to characters and plotlines I never knew about.

At times I felt guilty about spending those 95 ruby quartz on Punisher Noir or buying yet another costume for Daredevil, but it did a great job of satisfying my compulsion for min-maxing and desire to play dress up. It's been a bummer watching the game spiral downwards, but I haven't played it since before the BUE and maybe that's for the best; I can still remember the feeling of getting my first Doc Ock Controller without having to relive the 500 hundred terminal runs it took to get there.

Plus, I'll never look at the color yellow the same way again.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Andrew Hair posted:

I would have loved to show you all the new five man Raid, LFG system, Thor Ragnarok costumes/heroes, Omega update on PC, new AI, better game pad controls, etc... it was a blast to work on. Thanks for all your support over the years.

Seeing them talk about the stuff they were working on twitter reminded me of the better days of Marble Hebrons, back when we still got frequent updates and the game was fun.

drat you Dave Dorhmann, drat you!

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the house that brevik built

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Yardbomb posted:

Loadout was a fun game with a bunch of potential that got mishandled into the grave.

Loadout was the game where you can run around with animated dong physics, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't worry about it. In February they're launching Marvel Von Heros.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

Don't worry about it. In February they're launching Marvel Von Heros.

:drat:

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

drat I haven't played in ages, but thanks for the good times Groot Force.

Token triple small Wolverine and Invisible Woman next to my triple large Moon Knight:

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

drat, sounds like this other game i used to play ...

edit: regarding these recent 'news' .. i can only

so loving poetic that they hosed up even the shutdown deadline.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
For real though, I feel super bad for the actual development team, finding out that they're all fired today and that their health insurance goes poof in a week. Laying people off on a major holiday, especially one nominally focused on positivity and gratitude, is a special kind of evil.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

For real though, I feel super bad for the actual development team, finding out that they're all fired today and that their health insurance goes poof in a week. Laying people off on a major holiday, especially one nominally focused on positivity and gratitude, is a special kind of evil.

It's a holiday that pretends to be about gratitude with a fake story to cover up genocide.

It's the perfect day to fire a bunch of people.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Loten posted:

drat I haven't played in ages, but thanks for the good times Groot Force.

Token triple small Wolverine and Invisible Woman next to my triple large Moon Knight:

They got rid of most of the passive size changing stuff with the BUE. Some things were grandfathered in like costume cores carrying the size stuff, but most of the stuff went away. No triple large or triple small stuff since BUE.

Also they were going to shut the PC servers down six months ago

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Top 5 firing people days:
Thanksgiving
Good Friday (Unlike Jesus you won't be back here in 3 days)
Daylight Savings Day because you can pay them 1 less hour
The other Daylight Savings Day because you can make them work 1 more hour they're not paid for
Any Sunday because they've already started to prepare to come in Monday so you really ruin things for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

It's a holiday that pretends to be about gratitude with a fake story to cover up genocide.

It's the perfect day to fire a bunch of people.

hot take, edgelord