Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RLM seems to embody, like others have said, a certain section of like, well-meaning middle-of-the-road nerds who like their ~thing~ (movies, games, books, whatever) and don't seem to want to deal with their thing being impacted by cultures or cultures impacting their thing.

Whining about "diversity" in their Star War doesn't come from an anti-equality place but more of a "this is infecting my thing!" place.

They seem like the sort of dudes who would whine about Tyler Perry movies getting made when other movies have trouble getting made, without realizing that they have a huge blindspot for culturally black movies or any understanding of why Tyler Perry is a successful filmmaker

They're the sorts of nerds who don't want to believe that politics and identity are cross-sectional with pop culture, and I don't think that's a fully defensible position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Is being white alone problematic?

typically

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
oh you meant "is being white in isolation" problematic, not "is being a lonely white person" problematic
my bad

Waffles Inc. posted:

They're the sorts of nerds who don't want to believe that politics and identity are cross-sectional with pop culture, and I don't think that's a fully defensible position

i'm sure they believe that, they just don't want to participate in that discussion as it doesn't interest them and i dont think you can blame someone for wanting to stay out of political/social discussions

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

boner confessor posted:

i'm sure they believe that, they just don't want to participate in that discussion as it doesn't interest them and i dont think you can blame someone for wanting to stay out of political/social discussions

Oh no doubt, I certainly don't blame content creators for wanting to shy away from politics. The problem is that when they make sexist jokes and rape jokes and decide to use their ugly rapist character to criticize the '16 Ghostbusters they're being overtly political

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Oh my god the way some of you talk about Red Letter Media makes me think you were the reason Current Releases was written the way it was.

quote:

The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like you could produce statistical support for this hypothesis.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
My favorite part about this conversation is they already talked about the ghostbusters movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEKreyTkvA and, last I checked, they don't say anything even remotely objectionable about the movie.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

No, see, that thing they said at the very end is very problematic and I only use that word to describe most things because I am extremely pleasant and smart.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

No, see, that thing they said at the very end is very problematic and I only use that word to describe most things because I am extremely pleasant and smart.

We get it, people criticizing a thing you like is bad and RLM are perfect saints and we're all cucks for daring to slightly smear their good name

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I guess you also don't get subtext and poo poo. RLM is fine most of the time, but they sometimes take the "plague on both their houses" approach without understanding the underlying issues or really exploring systemic problems in their own industry. Sometimes they rise above it and actually point out that hey, older women have a systemic problem getting roles in Hollywood that aren't just super-negative poo poo like "stepmother" or "witch". At other times, they seem blind to the idea that minority representation, even in bad movies (like Ghostbusters 2016), is still better than no representation at all.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

WampaLord posted:

The vast majority of their content is non-Plinkett stuff, though.

Yeah, you're right. I've only barely touched on any of their other stuff. That one episode of Best of the Worst I saw was okay, but the Half in the Bag episodes I watched made me not want to watch more of them. I was put off by the Ghostbusters 2016 episode because I didn't hate the movie and didn't think the vitriol was warranted; meanwhile, their Jurassic World episode annoyed me because it didn't have enough vitriol. It's true that I haven't given them a fair shake, but I don't have the time to fix that right now.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
their ghost busters review was pretty fair and they approached it from the perspective of it being a garbage comedy and a cynical marketing ploy rather than anti-sjw horseshit.

I imagine the plinkett review will be similar with more off colour jokes coming from the fictionof the character's hatred of women.

if you think the fans of rlm are indicative of the creators you're dumb as poo poo. they are actively hostile to their fans at times, and it's hilarious.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solitair posted:

Yeah, you're right. I've only barely touched on any of their other stuff. That one episode of Best of the Worst I saw was okay, but the Half in the Bag episodes I watched made me not want to watch more of them. I was put off by the Ghostbusters 2016 episode because I didn't hate the movie and didn't think the vitriol was warranted; meanwhile, their Jurassic World episode annoyed me because it didn't have enough vitriol. It's true that I haven't given them a fair shake, but I don't have the time to fix that right now.

half in the bag kind of sucks because the RLM guys aren't terribly insightful, they're a cut above your average nerd but there's way better film critique out there. and half the time they go watch some film and they just give it tepid praise, like "eh i liked it good enough". it is funny to see jay say "i didn't like it" then mike says " i liked it" and jay changes his mind "i liked it too"

imo best of the worst is much better because they're more entertaining when describing bad movies than hollywood films they can't show clips of.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Back on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bq1Gi44FhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PD7GrtsRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziWJkN8tWOw

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did

That first one. I haven't even watched it and I know with a name like "The White Wolf Order" it's some neo-nazi poo poo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

RLM seems to embody, like others have said, a certain section of like, well-meaning middle-of-the-road nerds who like their ~thing~ (movies, games, books, whatever) and don't seem to want to deal with their thing being impacted by cultures or cultures impacting their thing.

Whining about "diversity" in their Star War doesn't come from an anti-equality place but more of a "this is infecting my thing!" place.

They seem like the sort of dudes who would whine about Tyler Perry movies getting made when other movies have trouble getting made, without realizing that they have a huge blindspot for culturally black movies or any understanding of why Tyler Perry is a successful filmmaker

I don't think this is fair, I can't recall them ever talking about, say, the Force Awakens putting black or female characters in the lead roles was pandering, they might point out the business concerns that make such things more likely these days though. They can also be perceptive about conservative trends in Hollywood, ie, in the Plinkett review for the 2009 Star Trek movie they pointed out the strange tendencies for male characters who get along very well with other male characters or have somewhat unmasculine traits to be clearly and explicitly given a heterosexual relationship that doesn't serve much purpose other than to shout to the audience 'THIS CHARACTER IS COMPLETELY HETEROSEXUAL, NO GAY STUFF HERE', or as they put it 'A case of the not-gays', their example was Uhura and Spock.

They also constantly mock lovely comedies, but I don't think they've ever mentioned Tyler Perry, instead its usually Adam Sandler and his pals that they target.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 8, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Vulpinetaco posted:

That first one. I haven't even watched it and I know with a name like "The White Wolf Order" it's some neo-nazi poo poo.

Sounds like a band of knights or mercenaries from a DnD game

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khwarezm posted:

They also constantly mock lovely comedies, but I don't think they've ever mentioned Tyler Perry, instead its usually Adam Sandler and his pals that they target.

yeah in one of the BOTW they watch "johnson family christmas" which is a terribly produced black christian family drama/comedy thing with utterly awful production values and a confusing plot and they don't make any comparisons at all to tyler perry (iirc) which you would expect at least one joke from like a shittier reviewing team. mike was actually pretty excited to watch it because it was among the worst rated films he could find on amazon

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 8, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sounds like a band of knights or mercenaries from a DnD game

More Vampire The Masquerade

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:jerkbag:

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

"The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnMUvrspd7I

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Vulpinetaco posted:

Poor fella can't get his website up because George Soros broke his Playstation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Wx_lYEY1A

Why is he sitting in front of a mic yet the audio sounds like it was recorded using the camera's mic?

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

khwarezm posted:

I don't think this is fair, I can't recall them ever talking about, say, the Force Awakens putting black or female characters in the lead roles was pandering, they might point out the business concerns that make such things more likely these days though. They can also be perceptive about conservative trends in Hollywood, ie, in the Plinkett review for the 2009 Star Trek movie they pointed out the strange tendencies for male characters who get along very well with other male characters or have somewhat unmasculine traits to be clearly and explicitly given a heterosexual relationship that doesn't serve much purpose other than to shout to the audience 'THIS CHARACTER IS COMPLETELY HETEROSEXUAL, NO GAY STUFF HERE', or as they put it 'A case of the not-gays', their example was Uhura and Spock.

RLM tends to speak about the SJW aspect of movies through the cynical lens of "Hollywood is exploiting diversity to make money, and SJWs are giving unfair praise to bad movies because the cast is all minorities", and it's never done from the perspective of "SJWs are bad and those issues don't exist". That Ghostbusters movie was a garbage dump, but the media storm around it elevated it from bland and pointless schlock to having some kind of cultural significance and necessity. The most offensive part was how butt-hurt he and the rest got about their favorite franchise getting another terrible sequel.

Mike has even mentioned things like white/male privilege in earnest in some of his videos.

Rich Evans, if you watch his streams, is more of a typical liberal-centrist. Loves science, hates religion, but also hates talking about politics and it makes him come off as some kind of regressive edgelord sometimes. Regarding SJWs, he tends to hate the messengers but loves the message.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Verisimilidude posted:

Rich Evans, if you watch his streams, is more of a typical liberal-centrist. Loves science, hates religion, but also hates talking about politics and it makes him come off as some kind of regressive edgelord sometimes. Regarding SJWs, he tends to hate the messengers but loves the message.

rich evans is also as bad as mike in making crude, offensive jokes

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJTALX9XYc

Suit Yourself makes me seriously reconsider my "don't throw the first punch" position. He makes me want to punch him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The bottom guy looks just like one of the Columbine killers. It's like a glimpse into a world where they were born 10 years later.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'd be more willing to understand the "diversity = cynical pandering" viewpoint if it was equally applied with Hollywood's whitewashing as well. Like they can both be cynical. And I just hate Hollywood in general, despite liking some movies.

I remembered turning off the HITB review for Doctor Strange the moment they dismissed complaints about Tilda Swinton's character. It's like the complaints (which weren't just coming from Internet People) suddenly made them not approach that casting decision critically. Jay said something about Catch 22, and I just wanted to say there weren't exactly two options on how to do it. And a few times they brought in Max Landis as a guest, an industry insider who defended alleged whitewashing because he understands how the film industry works. Landis is another can of worms. They could have easily brought in someone who could challenge them on their assumptions of pandering too.

Crap. I like Red Letter Media a lot and didn't one to be "one of those people" who complain about them, especially in this thread.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 8, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fallenturtle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJTALX9XYc

Suit Yourself makes me seriously reconsider my "don't throw the first punch" position. He makes me want to punch him.
lol what a fucken idiot. If we go back to the original 'good old days' definitions before sex and gender meant different things about a person's identity, then sex was about organisms, and gender referred almost exclusively to language, as in masculine or feminine or neutral words. "Pronouns refer to the sex" falls apart for any consideration of the original meanings of gender, let alone the new ones.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Being aged sci Fi nerds I'm just glad they're not Nazis.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Verisimilidude posted:

RLM tends to speak about the SJW aspect of movies through the cynical lens of "Hollywood is exploiting diversity to make money, and SJWs are giving unfair praise to bad movies because the cast is all minorities", and it's never done from the perspective of "SJWs are bad and those issues don't exist". That Ghostbusters movie was a garbage dump, but the media storm around it elevated it from bland and pointless schlock to having some kind of cultural significance and necessity. The most offensive part was how butt-hurt he and the rest got about their favorite franchise getting another terrible sequel.

Mike has even mentioned things like white/male privilege in earnest in some of his videos.

this. just all of this, they make some edgy jokes buts its never at the expense of a minority group and they do point out hosed up poo poo in movies, like how alot of the lovely action movies use rape as exploitation and plot device to get the hero to go shoot the evil minorities. they were mad at ghostbusters because it was terrible movie and sony tried to make it some great hill for the social left to die on. they arn't alt right by any stretch.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. just all of this, they make some edgy jokes buts its never at the expense of a minority group and they do point out hosed up poo poo in movies, like how alot of the lovely action movies use rape as exploitation and plot device to get the hero to go shoot the evil minorities. they were mad at ghostbusters because it was terrible movie and sony tried to make it some great hill for the social left to die on. they arn't alt right by any stretch.
I think one of the worst things about the lovely Ghostbusters movie is that its such a lost opportunity. It could have actually been good, an intelligently written witty script with tight performances by female actors, you know, representation of funny intelligent women. Ghostbusters is unique in being one of the few comedies where the protagonists are intelligent and humanized if a little eccentric, whereas this is just dumb and loud and you know they're intelligent because they have super powers.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Sneakster posted:

I think one of the worst things about the lovely Ghostbusters movie is that its such a lost opportunity. It could have actually been good, an intelligently written witty script with tight performances by female actors, you know, representation of funny intelligent women. Ghostbusters is unique in being one of the few comedies where the protagonists are intelligent and humanized if a little eccentric, whereas this is just dumb and loud and you know they're intelligent because they have super powers.

Agreed. Paul Feig is terrible and I hope he never works again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sneakster posted:

yeah. i like most of the actresses in it. they are funny for the most part. i blame feig for not knowing how to do a conventional comedy outside make faces and adlib. he blew the "controversy" up repeatedly when it probably would have went away in hopes of clickbait woke ticket sales which didnt happen because most people can see how empty it all was. then him and his click bait friends take shits on the old fanbase. give it to james gunn and let him do it. it would be clever and funny and not loving queef jokes. or better yet, do it like episode 7 which got new people and old fans alike. were there dumb bigots bitching about "mace dindu" and poo poo like that. yeah, but disney didnt waste there loving time on them. they ignored them and focused on fans and new people.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 8, 2017

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The original was actually a fairly straight character drama with a light sci-fi premise where the humor was derived from witty dialogue of fairly normal people in an absurd situation. I can personally think of several women with advanced degrees who would easily be female analogue of the original cast that could actually work well on their own while actually giving representation to women on the right side of bell curve that's not the standard stand-offish ornery stereotype or "there's a giant contraption in the room, clearly the person is therefore smart" in terms of characterization.

There's no reason it couldn't have been just as good as the original while providing representation with a twist in the formula justifying a remake.

gently caress you Paul Feig.

This movie sucked, it wasn't pandering to women or s-jews or whatever, it was pandering to lazy filmmakers and the lowest common denominator.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sneakster posted:

The original was actually a fairly straight character drama with a light sci-fi premise where the humor was derived from witty dialogue of fairly normal people in an absurd situation.

Pictured: a fairly normal person.

The only fairly normal person on the original team was Winston, and he was quite deliberately a foil for the absurdity of the three others. Ray was a ten year old boy with a Ph.D, Peter was a sleazebag con artist womanizer (basically a sexual predator by today's standards), and Egon collected molds, spores, and fungus and straightened a Slinky as a child.

Not even going into you trying to classify it as a character drama. What the hell?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The real ghosts were the friends we made along the way.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Pictured: a fairly normal person.

The only fairly normal person on the original team was Winston, and he was quite deliberately a foil for the absurdity of the three others. Ray was a ten year old boy with a Ph.D, Peter was a sleazebag con artist womanizer (basically a sexual predator by today's standards), and Egon collected molds, spores, and fungus and straightened a Slinky as a child.

Not even going into you trying to classify it as a character drama. What the hell?
Have you ever been on a college campus before?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sneakster posted:

Have you ever been on a college campus before?

I went through most of an undergrad program with someone who was the geology equivalent of Egon (before he had a breakdown and took a year off), but he was decidedly not normal, and often described using words like "absurd".

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I should clarify that I mean normal as "exist, at least in academia".

I absolutely do not mean to imply that I have any kind of charisma or wit akin to Bill Murray. I'm basically Venkman in the sense that I'm essentially a lazy fraud sponging off the system and conning my way through academia completely aware that my presence is absurd and I don't take it seriously due to having made peace with making my living off a giant ruse. I personally know Egon and Ray, their names are not Egon and Ray, but they are definitely them, they're cut from the same cloth.

I had some meeting with higher up people that I went to wearing swim trunks and apologized for my casual wear because I lost my pants on the way to the campus that ended in me basically being given a free ride on the assumption of working towards PHD. I got given a paid research position because despite having literally no achievements or on paper evidence of qualification, I said I'm better than everyone else, ergo it should be mine. There is no way I am the first person to find out you can survive off nothing but pure bullshit. These characters are all very, very real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://youtu.be/AHUV8QLpEAc It's out.

• Locked thread