Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Zereth posted:

starting in the Twilight Forest

lmao that the modding community still hangs so much weight on a mod that STILL ISN'T FINISHED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RocketMermaid posted:

lmao that the modding community still hangs so much weight on a mod that STILL ISN'T FINISHED

Yeah a while ago I was running some kitchen sink pack and decided to go do Twilight Forest and it just kinda ended with a "PLACEHOLDER mod over"

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
What is the end of twilight forest even supposed to be? Is there an ending text scroll that will come up after the Twilight Dragon fight or something?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

What is the end of twilight forest even supposed to be? Is there an ending text scroll that will come up after the Twilight Dragon fight or something?
There's some sort of castle with nothing in it besides some kind of placeholder box you can't go into, IIRC

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zereth posted:

There's some sort of castle with nothing in it besides some kind of placeholder box you can't go into, IIRC

You can go into the box. There's just nothing in it besides a sign.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zereth posted:

I'm more trying to figure out what the appropriate capstone would be for a mod that seems to be attempting to be a total conversion for Minecraft. I would suspect the creator doesn't know either and is trying to kick that can down the road.
Do you get an uber pickaxe that trivializes everything (like so many other mods)? Do you end the game? Destroy or transform the twilight forest realm forever? Give you a trinket to put on your head to show everyone on your server you've beaten it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Trinket imo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm more trying to figure out what the appropriate capstone would be for a mod that seems to be attempting to be a total conversion for Minecraft. I would suspect the creator doesn't know either and is trying to kick that can down the road.
Do you get an uber pickaxe that trivializes everything (like so many other mods)? Do you end the game? Destroy or transform the twilight forest realm forever? Give you a trinket to put on your head to show everyone on your server you've beaten it?

The super pickaxe that I didn't actually use because I was using Ars break spells instead of tools was from the earlier minotaur maze. Don't know what it does, except maybe "Actually dig the minotaur maze walls in a reasonable length of time" but again: ars break spells :V

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The real Twilight Forest were the hollow hills we mined out with our Fortune XVII picks along the way.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zereth posted:

The super pickaxe that I didn't actually use because I was using Ars break spells instead of tools was from the earlier minotaur maze. Don't know what it does, except maybe "Actually dig the minotaur maze walls in a reasonable length of time" but again: ars break spells :V

The Mazebreaker? I think that's just a diamond pickaxe that can break the maze blocks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

holy loving poo poo, the luck

my first scan and my base is literally on top of a primo oil reservoir

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's so fuckin' good. I've got a Raw Oil zone that's a little less rich than that and I still haven't depleted a single chunk. There's something like 15 billion units of oil in that field. You can probably power your entire base forever until you switch to fusion.

It's still worth it to build a setup for coal tar if only to get toluene, but no need for benzene and tree farms here. I made my first rocket with just a single advanced coke oven for coal tar to toluene, and then I got the explosive bee for ITNT so my implosion compression needs are set forever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hooooly poo poo

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Look at this Beverly Hillbillies-rear end oil vein :catstare:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The hills are alive with the sound of drilling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Good loving lord, how rare are Clockwork Bees in enigmatica 6 expert?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I've been trying to find out what's using massive amounts of CPU whenever I play Nomi CEU. If I'm anywhere besides my base, even in friends bases, my CPU is 30 to 40% maximum. But the moment I enter my base, it spikes all the way to 80 to 90% and sometimes caps out at 100 and starts lagging. For the life of me, I can't find out what's causing it. My server is fine and not crashing anything like that, TPS is good and its own CPU usage is fine. It's specifically my client, and my friends also report getting lag spikes when they enter my base too.

Even running spark profiler didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. I have no idea what it could be and I really wish I knew what it was.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Did you Spark profile the server or the client, they're different commands (/spark vs /sparkc)?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Did you Spark profile the server or the client, they're different commands (/spark vs /sparkc)?

Both. (/sparkc came second when I realized there were two different versions of it)

e: Here's the sparkc:
https://spark.lucko.me/jg1rqVYLHr

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 19, 2024

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If we're bragging about hitting the jackpot

e: technically its down to like 687 by now but i have a couple million liters of CBD by this point so i think i'll be ok

Steelion fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 19, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Umbreon posted:

Both. (/sparkc came second when I realized there were two different versions of it)

e: Here's the sparkc:
https://spark.lucko.me/jg1rqVYLHr

I'm not the best at reading these but I see what I feel like is a lot of time used on rendering storage drawers? Maybe if you use the key that hides the item in the drawer?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yes, storage drawers are render-heavy. Hide the labels and they're alright.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

I need a new modpack for my server. Can somebody recommend a Cool Modpack? I would like something a bit more coherent than a kitchen sink, but not something like GTNH, nor a skybock. (Stoneblock 3 didn't have much staying power with the players.)

If it exists something that's set on like sky islands without being a skyblock would be cool, but if there isn't something to recommend there feel free to recommend anything.

Except Create: Arcane Engineering, we didn't really like that one.

Check this out https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/another-quality-modpack-3

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm not the best at reading these but I see what I feel like is a lot of time used on rendering storage drawers? Maybe if you use the key that hides the item in the drawer?

I have all mine hidden with the concealment key so that they don't show their labels. Is there something else I should be doing with that?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

I've been loving around with a 1.20 Gregtech pack called Sky Greg where the basic premise is that it's preposterously easy to generate infinite resources - they have these generators that if you put a raw ore into them it automatically generates more and spits them down into whatever you point it at - and thus the challenge is automation and greggy poo poo.

I haven't got very far but the premise is fun.
Hey this is really fuckin cool actually! First off it's a modern 1.20 pack so it has a ton of smooth quality of life and polish features, the JEI/NEI/REI suite is so slick in particular, and everything included is tight and works well.
Plus I really admire a skyblock that starts you out with both a cobblestone and dirt generator already running, and then ore is just there to take? They really want you to go all in on the automation and GT stuff, it's fantastic. Giving you infinite or, but in degrees of infinity, is really cool. It's gonna mess with some of the balance, of course, the way you can just have infinite stibnite and aluminum and whatever else just right off the bat, but it feels good focusing entirely on production chains and automation.
I'm just hitting LV and that means it's time to actually structure a real base here, start setting up some infrastructure, etc. My only real concern is if there's enough actual content to sink my teeth into or if it'll just be a straight shot through Gregtech and that's it. Omnifactory and GTNH filled out their progression by integrating other mods and goals and I worry this one might be a little skinny in the middle. It'd be a shame to set up all this infrastructure and then just blitz past it too quickly, I guess is what I'm saying. I want to be here for the long haul.

E: Oh and you even start with free creative flight, which I feel like every skyblock should have. I've never seen such a quality of life heavy pack, let alone a Gregtech focused one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I literally just posted about hating sieving and wanting cooler resource gens on skyblocks and they hit me with Raw Ore Generator on this one. It's not super complex or involved but frankly I'd rather have random + targeted slow infinities I can gradually improve and chain than hold right click with a stack of gravel and sort out tiny pieces of ores ever again

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Bit of an odd question, but I installed the Prism launcher and downloaded the ATM 8 modpack. I tried to fire the game up, and the drat thing is using 100% of my CPU and having issues with starting. I can't help but think there's something wrong here or some setting that I'm missing.

On a related note, is there an easy way to swap the install location of the game? I'd like to put it on another drive, but Microsoft is awful and refuses to allow any customization because gently caress you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That does sound interesting, I'll put it on the list for possibles after we finish what we decided on (enigmatica 6 expert since some of us have experience with non-expert version and liked it and the guy never got back to me about why E2E specifically)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dirk the Average posted:

Bit of an odd question, but I installed the Prism launcher and downloaded the ATM 8 modpack. I tried to fire the game up, and the drat thing is using 100% of my CPU and having issues with starting. I can't help but think there's something wrong here or some setting that I'm missing.

On a related note, is there an easy way to swap the install location of the game? I'd like to put it on another drive, but Microsoft is awful and refuses to allow any customization because gently caress you.

I am not sure about the CPU usage, but I can definitely answer the second. Prism puts all of its data directly in the install directory. You can just move the entire directory wherever you want. Open Prism and click here to get to the launcher root folder. (Obviously, close Prism before you move it.)

You can also adjust individual folders in the settings. "instances" in this case is the big one; that's where your pack installs and save games are.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dirk the Average posted:

ATM9 is a massive monster of a mod pack that’s just how it rolls. I have it installed on my steam deck and it literally takes like minutes to load the main menu

ATM9 - No Frills still takes a bit to load but it’s not as intensive as 8.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Edit: nm

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 19, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I have a hard time planning things out in 3D (or even 2D) space, but in skyblocks it's even harder. Just getting to the point in Gregtech where automation is going to be important and trying to revamp my base from scratch, but it's just so much open space and like always, I never even know where to begin. Hard not to just dump everything into whatever open space happens to be nearby, especially when things like adjacency and cabling is going to be important. I get paralyzed seeing a big blank canvas like this. I guess it's an acquired skill, but you'd think after years of playing skyblocks I would've gotten some kind of system down.
Just thinking out loud, I guess.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

The stock Minecraft Java settings use 512 MB for the minimum Java heap size and 4096 MB for the maximum, modded Minecraft needs that to be higher.

ATM in particular needs the minimum to be 4096 MB and the maximum to be something like 10240 MB, otherwise Java will run the garbage collector continuously to try to hit an impossible target.

With Prism, you can select the instance, click Edit on the right, choose Settings from the list on the left, click the Memory checkbox to override the global Prism settings and then adjust the minimum and maximum memory allocations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

The stock Minecraft Java settings use 512 MB for the minimum Java heap size and 4096 MB for the maximum, modded Minecraft needs that to be higher.

ATM in particular needs the minimum to be 4096 MB and the maximum to be something like 10240 MB, otherwise Java will run the garbage collector continuously to try to hit an impossible target.

With Prism, you can select the instance, click Edit on the right, choose Settings from the list on the left, click the Memory checkbox to override the global Prism settings and then adjust the minimum and maximum memory allocations.

I thought going over 8GB was a bad idea in general? Assuming you're not using a higher version of Java that can handle it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, I'm using 64-bit Java and you should too.

e: that would be a 4 GB limit, not 8. I'm not sure what you're referring to?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you! The memory allocation appears to have fixed my problem.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Oh, I'm using 64-bit Java and you should too.

e: that would be a 4 GB limit, not 8. I'm not sure what you're referring to?

Not talking about 32/64 bit, I'm talking about the actual java version. Nomi for example, explicitly requires Java 1.8, you can't go any higher or the pack just won't launch. And from what I understand, Java 1.8 can't really handle more than 8 gigs at a time for the maximum memory allocation.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 20, 2024

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Umbreon posted:

Not talking about th32/64 bit, I'm talking about the actual java version. Nomi for example, explicitly requires Java 1.8, you can't go any higher or the pack just won't launch. And from what I understand, Java 1.8 can't really handle more than 8 gigs at a time for the maximum memory allocation.

Oh, that's not a problem with ATM -- they're for current Minecraft versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Okay, so I managed to get the mod pack fired up, and I am very, very glad that I turned off death penalties. Here I am with a wooden sword trying to build a hut and all of a sudden this giant lightning thing starts arcing artillery fire at me while skeleton archers swarm me. And since each shot does basically 15% or more of my health, I've already died a few times.

Extremely amusing - hopefully I can figure out how to not die quite so much in the future, but when death has no consequence, it's more funny than anything else.