Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, say what you will about Sasuke, but the guy had an extremely hosed up childhood, even compared with his child soldier peers. Bakugou...was literally just some kid who was a bully/rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

He has another half-assed apology towards the end for stabbing Sakura in the gut and telling her she's poo poo, which was apparently enough to make up for all of the verbal abuse, physical abuse, attempted murder, and treason because they get married afterwards. :v:

Is MHA fully over at this point? Is there like only a handful of chapters left?

Because I will say one thing I absolutely do not want. I do not want the Naruto and Bleach "and this is how we will pair up everyone" ending. That poo poo sucks. If Deku and Uraraka or Kaminari and Jiro get together, fine. That was built up forever. It's more the "and this side character is with this side character." Did we need to know Sai and Ino hooked up? No, no we did not. I don't want Sugarman and...I dunno, Mushroom Girl to be married off or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Because I will say one thing I absolutely do not want. I do not want the Naruto and Bleach "and this is how we will pair up everyone" ending. That poo poo sucks. If Deku and Uraraka or Kaminari and Jiro get together, fine. That was built up forever. It's more the "and this side character is with this side character." Did we need to know Sai and Ino hooked up? No, no we did not. I don't want Sugarman and...I dunno, Mushroom Girl to be married off or something.

Not officially over but I expect we don’t have too much left in the can at this point

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, say what you will about Sasuke, but the guy had an extremely hosed up childhood, even compared with his child soldier peers. Bakugou...was literally just some kid who was a bully/rear end in a top hat.

I gotta say between the Danzo reveal and the second hokage's first big speech being the Uchiha's Can't Feel Love science talk I've never turned around on a character as fast as I did sasuke there.

Yeah no he's right, naruto's too soft. gently caress these guys

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Larryb posted:

Not officially over but I expect we don’t have too much left in the can at this point

Seems like this issue is the perfect time for a time skip and a couple of issues for denouement and spinoff/merchandising setups.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Prowler posted:

Seems like this issue is the perfect time for a time skip and a couple of issues for denouement and spinoff/merchandising setups.

Turns out Vigilantes wasn't a prequel. MHA was actually a midquel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Wait until the American Heroes arrive and we get a whole arc having to deal with them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I gotta say between the Danzo reveal and the second hokage's first big speech being the Uchiha's Can't Feel Love science talk I've never turned around on a character as fast as I did sasuke there.

Sasuke is this weird mix of being a total rear end in a top hat but also just understandable enough that you get why he's a total rear end in a top hat.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait until the American Heroes arrive and we get a whole arc having to deal with them.

I can't believe MHA is gonna pull an Eyeshield 21

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I had forgotten, I am so glad to see this again

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Has Shigaraki caused a cave-in of hatred yet?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad Shigaraki did not apologise like that hack Sasuke.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

NikkolasKing posted:

They're going to have to run down the entire list of Canon Pairings, sorry. They need to establish the next generation for the sequel where everyone's kids go to UA to get taught by Deku and Old Might.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dolash posted:

They're going to have to run down the entire list of Canon Pairings, sorry. They need to establish the next generation for the sequel where everyone's kids go to UA to get taught by Deku and Old Might.

DekuHats OTP

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

if there's an epilogue chapter and Bakugou and Deku aren't gay married I will strongly consider calling out of work

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel the next gen epilogue isn't as much in vogue as it was around Naruto and Bleach finishing up. And clearly the obvious sequel manga is just Year Two of UA.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

They're literally all child soldiers. They spent large arcs that were exams just beating the poo poo out of one another. That's not a huge deal in universe. Sasuke's crimes are "Trying and failing to kill the kages and getting his poo poo rocked." and "Killing the Ninja CIA Guy with all his family's eyeballs installed in his arm" which....that's a weekend of public service and a medal IMO.

Oh and 'treason' I guess but the series is not very positive on how the leaf village had been run both historically and very recently. See: The Ninja CIA doing Orochimaru poo poo just right behind the curtain. Like Naruto's entire childhood is framed as a failure and gently caress up by the town and those that run it and when we finally get to meet the old leaders of the town its "A guy who tried to do good but hosed up repeatedly". "That guy's brother the racist hyper phrenologist that explains the uchiha brain pan is unable to feel joy or love after it gets too sad" The third who sees the generation of failure as his own sin to bear and Naruto's dad.

IIRC Sasuke tried to hi-jack the "mind-control the planet" plan, kill all the worlds leaders and Naruto which would have been some pretty high-grade evil if he had succeeded. He also tried to kill Sakura and Karin and in the finale he mentally tortured Sakura until she fainted. He did apologise for that last one though, which in no way makes up for it.

Dolash posted:

The only Canon Pairings I will accept are Uraraka x Toga and Gentle x La Brava. Sorry, every other character your love life is trash.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel the next gen epilogue isn't as much in vogue as it was around Naruto and Bleach finishing up. And clearly the obvious sequel manga is just Year Two of UA.

Also, the series has already set up the next generation in like 20 different characters so having Beku show up at the end is unnecessary. Just have Eri, Kota, the movie kids and those kids Todoroki and Bakugo taught show up for their first day at UA.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 20, 2024

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Nephthys posted:

The only Canon Pairings I will accept are Uraraka x Toga and Gentle x La Brava. Sorry, every other character your love life is trash.

I'd like to see Deku's dad/Deku's mom on the actual last page of the series

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The last panel is Deku's dad walking in with the milk and asking "What did I miss?"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Can't wait to see which girl has the unfortunate luck of getting paired with Mineta.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't wait to read the next series about Deku's son Beku

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think the funniest and probably most realistic thing they could do is cut to the future, and the pairings are all just completely random, most of them not even married to people from their class. It's been 10-20 years, and people don't always end up with their freshman year crush.

It would drive the shippers crazy.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Rhonne posted:

Can't wait to see which girl has the unfortunate luck of getting paired with Mineta.

Momo

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
drat, that sure is an ending.

I feel like once they brought in the liberation army stuff, it started going downhill, but where would y'all of cut to "final fight"? Might be too early to do an analysis of how what started off as a really great series turned into something middling, but I'm always curious other's takes.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RedMagus posted:

I feel like once they brought in the liberation army stuff, it started going downhill, but where would y'all of cut to "final fight"? Might be too early to do an analysis of how what started off as a really great series turned into something middling, but I'm always curious other's takes.

If we're allowed to do a total rewrite I probably would have just allowed more time to pass between big events, but not majorly change much. So maybe the big All Might vs All for One fight happens right at the end of the first year, the war happens at the end of the second and then the third year takes place over several months into the third year. The Deku vigilante angle was cool, I would have spent more time on that as well as the meta-human racism and then probably cut AfO from being the big bad in favor of Shigaraki. AfO can maybe still be supporting him so we can have the sick af Iron Might fight though.

I personally feel like the vast majority of the series was done well, I think the series hit a stumbling block with Shigaraki being absurdly invincible for chapter after chapter but most of the finale has been strong. It will probably read much better after the series is over instead of weekly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The liberation front stuff is really weird in retrospect. It seemed to be a big setup for a new status quo of the LoV running a shadowy criminal organization to oppose the heroes, down to having a whole new rogues' gallery introduced for the protagonists to punch, but it was basically all shuffled off to the side and rendered meaningless with almost unseemly haste. I guess it was an early example of stuff like Star and Nagant, where Horikoshi comes up with some radical rear end character designs and a brief plot outline for how to introduce them but has no idea what to do with them long term.

I still remember everybody thinking Geten was going to be important.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 20, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think Geten actually is related to Todoroki's mom. It was sort of implied when we cut to him and Compress in prison. It just never mattered in any way.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kanos posted:

The liberation front stuff is really weird in retrospect. It seemed to be a big setup for a new status quo of the LoV running a shadowy criminal organization to oppose the heroes, down to having a whole new rogues' gallery introduced for the protagonists to punch, but it was basically all shuffled off to the side and rendered meaningless with almost unseemly haste. I guess it was an early example of stuff like Star and Nagant, where Horikoshi comes up with some radical rear end character designs and a brief plot outline for how to introduce them but has no idea what to do with them long term.

I still remember everybody thinking Geten was going to be important.

Feel like the manga was meant to go on to year 3 and the skeleton of it all was there but just compressed to get the thing over and done with.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

It just never mattered in any way.

Yes, this is what not being important means.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Feels like after a while, the school setting was holding the series back. After the end of the Overhaul arc, Deku and the other kids stopped interacting with the main villains pretty much entirely until about midway through the War arc when poo poo hit the fan. While we were seeing things like Hawks going undercover, the League slowly growing in power, and the Liberation army being set up, Deku and the others were just having school festivals(which was great!) and long training exercises(which wasn't great!).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wished we would have gotten more of Deku et al training under Endeavor and coming across the main villains instead of the loser road paint guy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Feel like the manga was meant to go on to year 3 and the skeleton of it all was there but just compressed to get the thing over and done with.

It's probably this. The series was rolling along at a reasonable pace, then Hori was obviously starting to struggle with shorter and even unfinished chapters, and basically just had to cut it short and slam through the major plot beats as fast as possible.

It's not like the series suddenly came to an end, there's a decent number of chapters and story beats between the end of the hospital raid/war and the beginning of the final arc, and the final arc has progressed at a fairly regular pace. There was just too much to cover in between those two points. I feel like it would have been about the same length as Naruto if it had actually covered the full three years and Hori was able to keep it going that long.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 20, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clearly the constant hand destruction in the manga is symbolic for Hori.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Does Mineta wind up feeling like he lost somehow?

RedMagus posted:

My feelings started to go downhill around the time All Might beat up AFO pretty easily despite being powerless. Good moment for All Might, but it made AFO look pretty wimpy. And then a finger curled on the monkey's paw and I got more AFO than I could've ever wanted. :shepface:

I wasn't really captivated by a lot of the stuff between there and My Villain Academia, aside from Gentle's arc. I think the real problem is that the Paranormal Liberation Front was too big. We establish all of the characters having all of these branches and subordinates, but there's no way to reasonable introduce all of the characters that were shown in the amount of manga that was left. Then the League went from feeling like a group to a bunch of individuals vaguely orbiting around the same ideals, but their issues started to feel like petulant whining. And the heroes are mostly all as bland as can be (especially Deku), so it was really just a dull ride for a good while aside from a few peaks here and there.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 20, 2024

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

AFO should've never gotten involved in the story again outside of a mentor figure after All Might beat him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Agreed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wasn't it they feel too much love so it overflows into hatred?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kild posted:

Wasn't it they feel too much love so it overflows into hatred?

No it's if they ever feel love and then lose it or feel loss they then can only every feel hatred and are incapable of other emotions. You can tell this because of the cranium shape around their magic eyes, you see.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
taken as a whole AFO might be the worst-executed villain i've seen in a long-running jump comic. madara and yhwach sucked but i didn't exactly have high expectations for them anyway and their respective stories were already getting kind of rocky before they monopolized everyone's panel time. but all for one started at such a height and crashed down to such a depth, taking all of MHA with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
i'm forever confused by how quickly the liberation army was swept under the rug. (ESPECIALLY REDESTRO??? where even is he right now?) remember how the league had their own lieutenants and everything? would've scrapped literally everything to do with All for One and made the liberation army the final villains.