Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I miss when Bryan was the best wrestler in the world losing to Sheamus in 18 seconds in a storyline based around AJ Lee and not having killer wrestling matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

That moment was so good. I simply can't understand how someone could not like it.

I knew as I watched it that these types of dudes would have exactly this complaint about it, too

One would think they would see the loving welt on bryan afterwards and understand just how hard they are hitting one another but that would require paying attention

What I really want someone with that viewpoint to answer for me is “what is the difference between a punch or slap fight and a test of strength?” Test of strength spots are a time-honored part of wrestling and I don’t think I have seen a single one of these dorks arguing against them. What is the difference? Both are just the two guys in the match being willing to step up and directly test themselves in a specific way.

As much as slap fights are good, and forearm/elbow fights are good, my favorite will always be the two-steel-chairs punch fight spot, and necro butcher, for all his faults, did the best of them imo

Classicst3ve
Feb 28, 2019
I'm trying to think of a pre-AEW WWE match that had a test of strength/chopping striking battle like that. My point being that perhaps average WWE watcher wouldn't understand why these guys would want to test their strength or mettle and it baffles them every time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
(face red, tears streaming down face) the 5 star system is just daves opinion it doesnt matter

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

this isnt even the first time bryans done that sit down and trade shots spot. wrestling might be too hard for these people to follow

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you'd think the brain geniuses at Stanford would require a little higher quality for their astroturfing op

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Why didn’t Tony listen to meeeeee

https://x.com/davescherer/status/1769826972224323620?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
STOP HAVING GOOD MATCHES

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Classicst3ve posted:

I'm trying to think of a pre-AEW WWE match that had a test of strength/chopping striking battle like that. My point being that perhaps average WWE watcher wouldn't understand why these guys would want to test their strength or mettle and it baffles them every time.

But they have had tests of strength

The 80s had entire matches that were nothing but, and the spot still lingered through at least the attitude era, before finally dipping in the pg era afaik

So like, imaginary wwe viewer, use the slightest bit of thought and consider what the difference is between the test of the strength spot and these strike battles, is my point

Edit:
While I am demanding answers from imaginary people, give me one good reason why Tony khan, much less anyone else ever, should take Dave scherer’s opinion as important

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 18, 2024

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

rotinaj posted:

But they have had tests of strength

The 80s had entire matches that were nothing but, and the spot still lingered through at least the attitude era, before finally dipping in the pg era afaik

So like, imaginary wwe viewer, use the slightest bit of thought and consider what the difference is between the test of the strength spot and these strike battles, is my point

Edit:

While I am demanding answers from imaginary people, give me one good reason why Tony khan, much less anyone else ever, should take Dave scherer’s opinion as important

Isn't the yearly how do you eliminate omos from the rumble spot exactly this

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Not to mention that all wrestling is filled with back and forth worked punches. None of those have ever looked real.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I do remember finding strike battles weird and silly when I saw my first NJPW match.

Of course, a few matches later I had fully accepted them as a part of wrestling language.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

real wrestling is about talking out loud in the middle of a match to tell the story, not whatever that slapping crap is

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Real wrestling is slamming beer cans together and then pouring the beer all over yourself instead of drinking it

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Real wrestling is slamming beer cans together and then pouring the beer all over yourself instead of drinking it

I become a real wrestler every Friday night.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

cagliostr0 posted:

The pr disaster which turned out to be a fabrication by cm punks pet muck raker
Nick Hausman handled that whole mess terribly, but can we please not do this?

For better or worse, Kylie Rae seemingly wants everyone to think that there's something to the Jericho rumors. (And I'm not sure how that's even arguable; if she wanted the takeaway to be anything else, she would have either not commented or said it wasn't true.) Tony Khan refused to answer direct yes/no questions about if Chris Jericho had ever been reported or investigated for sexual misconduct in AEW. If the answer is "No," then you can just say no. He chose not to do that.

You can say that Hausman handled everything in a very wrong and gross way, and you'd be entirely correct. And yes, I do think there's a good chance that Punk was egging him on. But it did not turn out to be a fabrication, much less by Hausman specifically.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everyone sitting on their hands while the fake crowd noise plays is really funny for this bit of Nastyism.

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1769887056128553442

https://twitter.com/WorkersClubPodc/status/1767682113887682721

https://twitter.com/WorkersClubPodc/status/1766652460817383681

Also came across this podcast attempting to promote themselves using 2000 Geocities strategies.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

rotinaj posted:

Edit:

What's funny is however one feels about Meltzer I can absolutely see a new promoter reaching out to pick his brain. He's the go-to rolodex guy for the msm for rasslin afterall. The very idea of doing that with Dave Scherer is comical.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

Everyone sitting on their hands while the fake crowd noise plays is really funny for this bit of Nastyism.

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1769887056128553442

Dudes out here ripping off Alex Coughlin spots.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The_Rob posted:

Dudes out here ripping off Alex Coughlin spots.

honestly if you can do it fair play

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lid posted:

honestly if you can do it fair play

You know what. Good point.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Why did Johnny Gargano just walk into the larger Creed brother's arms and immediately get hoisted up for the tandem stalling suplex. That was a poor choice

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Johnny Gargano has a lifetime pass to Disney so he can sit at his favorite Harry Potter themed bar and complain about his life to the same bartender. Nothing in wwe matters.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That would look better if they were more in sync

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

Johnny Gargano has a lifetime pass to Disney so he can sit at his favorite Harry Potter themed bar and complain about his life to the same bartender. Nothing in wwe matters.

Does he stare at his hands after every round of drinks in shock

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those spots sucked monkey nyuts. the forum made me watch it

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Classicst3ve posted:

Not quite like that, but I vaguely remember one of the lesnar/undertaker matches have them trading strikes after a double down, I think it's the one where they laugh at each other after both sitting up from the double down? It wasn't as good as Bryan and Shibata smacking the gently caress out of each other.

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
alright but the rock and steve austin used to just throw punches back and forth and it'd be the coolest poo poo in the world

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

coconono posted:

harry potter is at universal studios, the aew of florida theme parks

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I know Alfred is dumb as gently caress and is intentionally trolling but like lmao that he's ignoring Sting's retirement tag match

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know Alfred is dumb as gently caress and is intentionally trolling but like lmao that he's ignoring Sting's retirement tag match

loses three stars for the glass spot, one for being in aew and two more for each young buck

sting/darby vs the bucks: -*

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/robertm49657110/status/1769802609748009018?s=46

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
it's more of a cuck lounger anyway

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Cornette won't let you sit in the cuck chair because he's sitting in it while trainee wrestlers he bullied into it are boning his wife

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

There really is nothing like random friendless weenies pretending they're part of a mass movement.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fuckboys Stand United

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/theantimarkofpw/status/1769797245476475190?t=_QMLEpwivN3DBObD3kjrDQ&s=19

Insert Metal Gear Rising meme:

-Source? I made the gently caress up

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Lamuella posted:

That moment was so good. I simply can't understand how someone could not like it.

Sami and Gunther will do this same exact spot at Mania and they'll think it's the greatest spot they've ever seen

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Its like they think they can manifest this poo poo.

I will say when I googled Aew profits 2023 the first two links are from that cultaholic article about how it Loa 35 million last year which was speculation. Third post is from reddit about an article from the observer about how it made 170 million which I can't imagine it was able to spend more of. Also 2023 was its most revenue and they expect 2024 to be higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

aew loses a billion dollars every year