Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Even for fratricidal nobility, it's considered somewhat in poor taste to execute every member of a family line down to the children and babies. Of course, in practical terms even one baby who could grow up to press a blood claim might result in a future civil war that'll kill countless innocent people, but that's the sort of outrageous moral dilemmas you get with dynastic politics where you blend the virtues of personal and family life with the necessities of governance and succession (ref: Game of Thrones, all of).

For the most part, PTN seems to have stuck within the bounds of canon characters' personalities - maybe pushing them down different roads or changing their loyalties as events have unfolded differently, or writing them with more depth if they were a flat, badly-written hero/villain before, but not completely transforming people under the same name. So assuming that in the canon timeline Stefan Amaris was actually Space Hitler and that wasn't just a case of the victors writing the history books, we might still safely guess that he was much the same this time around, albeit perhaps with more nuance and a different outcome.

Edit: seriously, anyone who's played CK2 knows the weird effect on family life that comes from optimal succession strategies. The best thing Hanse could've done for his new realm is kill one of his twin sons and cover up his very existence to prevent the possibility of some brother-against-brother civil war down the line. He named the elder heir for a Davion and the younger one for a Kuritan, people will line up behind each of them to kill the other based on that alone. Their mom probably wouldn't have gone for it, though.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, but "Heir and Spare" is a pretty valuable technique. If, say, Ian Davion does something stupid and get himself killed by Yorinaga Kurita then it's a good idea to have Hanse waiting in the wings. I'm sure Hanse is remembering his own path to the throne with his own sons.

The trick is to raise your kids right so that loyalty to the family (and each other) trumps personal ambition.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The Ottomans had a disgusting tradition that only the heir to the throne could live. In China, a losing dynasty was always genocided.
Europe, for all its constant warfare, was far more tolerant of surviving factions.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

RA Rx posted:

The Ottomans had a disgusting tradition that only the heir to the throne could live. In China, a losing dynasty was always genocided.
Europe, for all its constant warfare, was far more tolerant of surviving factions.

Actually not always. It really depended, partly on precisely how they "lost" as well. If I remember correctly, the Wu werent genocided by the Sima/Wei after yielding for example.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Huh, thanks for the example.

But I really don't get why people are so down on Space Hitler VII, when he's running a benign republican dictatorship. Sure, if he's like the first one he'll probably do [i]anything[/bi] necessary short of hurting Rim Worlders (unlike Real Hitler), but before this mission a lot of people were treating him like the untouchable, while the retarded space Mongols are trying to drag humanity back to an aggressively subpar form of warrior tribalism, and all the other houses have done for the last few hundred years is expand militarily or consolidate.

Amaris has mostly peacefully expanded humanity both in quantity and quality, running a massive colonization program (for the NRWRs size) improving technology and raising his citizens standard of living.

He's really less Space Hitler, and more Lex Luthor in the charitable, antihero portrayals. (Like the one where Superman grows up in the Soviet Union.)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 17, 2016

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Was the false flag mission (Caldera) actually a false flag mission? The Rim Worlders brought a Hollander and hid their Jackrabbit, but were their units painted in Lyran colours? I've been rereading that update and it's kind of vague.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
They were painted up like a Steiner unit and the cockpit of the opfor Hollander in that mission detonated when it was disabled. It was definitely a false flag operation.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I'm still a teensy bit sad the Bobcat didn't win, would've had a solid chance if the kick to the head hadn't been clerically downgraded to punch damage (which being Opfor, stuck).
One of the few missions I didn't root for the players.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
But what if it was actually Watch infiltrators manipulating ComStar pretending to be the Republic pretending to be House Steiner? :psyduck:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It was bird aliens all along!

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I'm sure SAFE would view that as a completely logical conclusion. :tinfoil:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Even for fratricidal nobility, it's considered somewhat in poor taste to execute every member of a family line down to the children and babies. Of course, in practical terms even one baby who could grow up to press a blood claim might result in a future civil war that'll kill countless innocent people, but that's the sort of outrageous moral dilemmas you get with dynastic politics where you blend the virtues of personal and family life with the necessities of governance and succession (ref: Game of Thrones, all of).

For the most part, PTN seems to have stuck within the bounds of canon characters' personalities - maybe pushing them down different roads or changing their loyalties as events have unfolded differently, or writing them with more depth if they were a flat, badly-written hero/villain before, but not completely transforming people under the same name. So assuming that in the canon timeline Stefan Amaris was actually Space Hitler and that wasn't just a case of the victors writing the history books, we might still safely guess that he was much the same this time around, albeit perhaps with more nuance and a different outcome.

Edit: seriously, anyone who's played CK2 knows the weird effect on family life that comes from optimal succession strategies. The best thing Hanse could've done for his new realm is kill one of his twin sons and cover up his very existence to prevent the possibility of some brother-against-brother civil war down the line. He named the elder heir for a Davion and the younger one for a Kuritan, people will line up behind each of them to kill the other based on that alone. Their mom probably wouldn't have gone for it, though.

He doesn't have a Kingsguard to shuffle extra sons off to, but if the younger one is named to a Regency operating out of Luthien, that would bar him from any succession. To be Regent you have to sign away your right to ever be First Prince. This is a system that Hanse and Melissa didn't think of because they did not read their own laws, and because the Federated Commonwealth's system of rule was conceptually terrible.

"Hey, you know what will discourage people from trying to split up the FedCom? If instead of Katherine and Peter being Regents for Victor, they became the Prince and Archon whenever Victor isn't on that planet. Having separate leaders who gain absolute executive power whenever our idiot son is running around in a Mech will encourage them to work together."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 17, 2016

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

LegendairyBovine posted:

I'm sure SAFE would view that as a completely logical conclusion. :tinfoil:

Don't knock SAFE. They're not actually awful, just outclassed by everyone else. This gets worse post 3050 or so when every other intelligence agency starts employing killer cyborgs and SAFE, because the FWL hate cyborgs, has rather limited access to them.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

MJ12 posted:

Don't knock SAFE. They're not actually awful, just outclassed by everyone else.

I'd give them excellent odds against the various Clans' Watches!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vote's coming to a close, so if anyone has some last-minute friends to bug, better do it now!

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MJ12 posted:

Don't knock SAFE. They're not actually awful, just outclassed by everyone else. This gets worse post 3050 or so when every other intelligence agency starts employing killer cyborgs and SAFE, because the FWL hate cyborgs, has rather limited access to them.

SAFE doesn't even know how they got their own name.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Getting in under the wire with C and D.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Oh also C and C for actual votes.

I'm not at all convinced that putting our bondman into a cockpit to fight for space Hitler is a good idea, but it has the most potential for hilarity.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, in all honesty, having the 15th `Mech is really going to help.

Help keep my Unit sprite sheet looking pretty, that is!

:swoon:

Duncan was wrong. The unit looks better with a consistent color scheme. :ssh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 18, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Of course duncan has to be red, because he is both the dad and possibly the char?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You're not 80's space nobility unless you go to war with your commanding officer painted to stand out vividly from the rest of the unit, complete with a contrasting accent over the cockpit to make it a natural point of aim.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

....Is that an Ubranmech with an HEAVY GAUSS RIFLE!?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

So it looks like the Demon Hawks are going to field a Trinary in the next battle? Duncan was mistaken: the Clanners aren't going to be confused about the numbers at all.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Ardlen posted:

So it looks like the Demon Hawks are going to field a Trinary in the next battle? Duncan was mistaken: the Clanners aren't going to be confused about the numbers at all.

But possibly offended! "A Trinary? How dare they mock us with our own conventions of deployment! Murder the spheroids and press on to take the fool Amaris' head!"

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
C&C is a game series that I'm very glad ended as a trilogy.

In the meantime, is it urbanmech troll time? Becaise it looks like its urbanmech troll time.

I mean, the urbie with snub ppc and ecm+probe is hilarious. This, though, this looks as funny as the urbieIIc with a HAG 20.

Centurium fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 18, 2016

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

A and C if it's not too late. Can't wait to see the screamer in action.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
C & C

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

C for hiring and A for piloting.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
C for hiring and C for piloting.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

Space Hitler did nothing wrong.

Clan Space Hitler did half as much, twice as wrong.

I'll see myself out

EDIT: vvvv :thejoke:

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 18, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

hooman posted:

Clan Space Hitler did half as much, twice as wrong.

I'll see myself out

Which would still be nothing wrong, thanks to our good friend "basic math".

On the plus side, I now hope the Clans get murdered even more. Yes, even the few Ghost Bears present.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zaodai posted:

Which would still be nothing wrong, thanks to our good friend "basic math".

On the plus side, I now hope the Clans get murdered even more. Yes, even the few Ghost Bears present.

Personally I'm rooting for Task Force Serpent. They understand the importance of Steiner rules.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Wait, they had time to paint up the Vulture but not the Atlas? Duncan must really loathe the blue and yellow.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Back Hack posted:

....Is that an Ubranmech with an HEAVY GAUSS RIFLE!?

Mech construction rules state that Heavy Gauss Rifles can't be mounted in a mech's arms. The official reason is that the sheer recoil would obliterate the actuators and tear the whole thing off. It's probably an Urbanmech IIC with a HAG/20.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Honestly, it's not too big of a problem for Duncan's Atlas to be red and stand out like that. It's the most survivable mech on the field and I think would benefit from enemies throwing themselves in his way. It should be tanking hits the others wouldn't survive and never be without a target.

By contrast, it's probably a good thing that Jason doesn't stand out as much - he's the co-slash-backup leader if Duncan's high visibility ends badly and while his mech may go fast enough to dodge most incoming fire it'd still probably be preferable to be underestimated and have people let him get behind them.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Mech construction rules state that Heavy Gauss Rifles can't be mounted in a mech's arms. The official reason is that the sheer recoil would obliterate the actuators and tear the whole thing off. It's probably an Urbanmech IIC with a HAG/20.

If we're lucky, its an exported Suburban Mech from the ... lyran? mech-teaser a while ago.

The assault mech that is, with 2 jump jets for orbital insertions.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Also is the name Gordon Franklin a reference to someone or connected to someone in the Battletech universe somehow? For some reason it's scratching the back of my brain like I should recognize it.

Actually to me it sounded like a reference to that doctor from Babylon 5 (the self-righteous one, who went walkabout half-way through the series).
But yeah it could be a reference to the cartoon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not everyone is a reference.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Scintilla posted:

But the base Urbanmech carries it's AC in the right torso, not the arm. Therefore the Heavy Guass Urbanmech should have the big gun in the same place, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dolash posted:

Honestly, it's not too big of a problem for Duncan's Atlas to be red and stand out like that. It's the most survivable mech on the field and I think would benefit from enemies throwing themselves in his way. It should be tanking hits the others wouldn't survive and never be without a target.

By contrast, it's probably a good thing that Jason doesn't stand out as much - he's the co-slash-backup leader if Duncan's high visibility ends badly and while his mech may go fast enough to dodge most incoming fire it'd still probably be preferable to be underestimated and have people let him get behind them.

given what's been mentioned about Jason's ride, it might be best for them to paint it bright pink with a "KERENSKY SUCKS" banner on its back, so the clanners spend their time missing it over and over again

• Locked thread