Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ladron posted:

nossir, I've never seen a box like that

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabchurch
Feb 27, 2018
How much current can an American wall socket handle before it catches fire? Assuming you short the connections in the fuse box.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Two entirely unrelated questions:

1) Is there a good no-contract/pay as you go phone company that serves Scotland? Need a smartphone for a weeklong trip.

2) When a rollercoaster has a height restriction, does that include some extra measure for safety? For example, say a rollercoaster has a height requirement of 54". Was the rollercoaster actually built to safely allow a person of 51" or so to ride safely, and they just add a few inches in to cover their bases or account for different shoe sizes? Is there a way to figure out the engineered minimum safe rider height?

I'm arguing with a family member about whether it's "really safe" to take my kid on a world-class coaster the moment she meets the height requirement. Family member insists that the posted requirement is the bare minimum for safety, and we should wait until she adds another three inches. I'm taking the viewpoint my question is asking about.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Macaroni posted:

2) When a rollercoaster has a height restriction, does that include some extra measure for safety? For example, say a rollercoaster has a height requirement of 54". Was the rollercoaster actually built to safely allow a person of 51" or so to ride safely, and they just add a few inches in to cover their bases or account for different shoe sizes? Is there a way to figure out the engineered minimum safe rider height?

I'm arguing with a family member about whether it's "really safe" to take my kid on a world-class coaster the moment she meets the height requirement. Family member insists that the posted requirement is the bare minimum for safety, and we should wait until she adds another three inches. I'm taking the viewpoint my question is asking about.

You're talking about giant corporations insured by other giant corporations, none of whom want a claim because some kid fell out of the roller coaster. The posted heights are safe, and the fact that kids aren't falling out of these things backs that up.

Near as I can tell, it's a lot more dangerous to ride a lot of these rides if you're a great big fat person than it is if you're a short person.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

height restrictions on rollercoasters will definitely have larger safety margins than implied. but why would you even want to risk it? make a happy memory with your kid by doing something else. if I was a parent, there's no way in hell I'd let my kid go on a ride if they're 3 inches shorter than the height safety limit, because if anything were to happen, no matter how improbable, it'd gently caress me up. plus I'd not be able to relax the entire ride because i'd be in parenting hypermode worrying about them, even though logically I know that there's probably large safety margins on the height restrictions.

same with most other engineering safety stuff. weight limits on bridges have much larger safe weight limits, but they're purposefully capped lower to increase safety. it's not good to run right up to the critical failure point of a structure, so they're always pampered up to prevent any possible accidents happening, cause humans are idiots and there'll always be that one idiot that pushes it just a little bit over the safety limit.

edit: I am one of those idiot humans, I misread your post. yeah, your kid will be absolutely fine at the minimum height restriction. like everyone else has said, there's rigorous safety standards and companies don't want the bad press of having a dead kid on their hands. the height restriction will easily be a few inches over the minimum safety limit.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 27, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

The Macaroni posted:

Two entirely unrelated questions:

Engineers don't like getting sued, there is even an engineering standard for amusement park rides ASTM F24. There should always be a little wiggle room with safety factors since they know people are oddly shaped blobs.

If you meet the minimum height requirements you'll be okay, since you being an uninformed consumer are just following the roller coasters guidelines and thus it would entirely be the fault of the theme park if you get injured or killed they don't want to get sued if something happens either.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks everyone--this is what I figured. (And yeah, Q8ee, your second reading was correct!) I'm a somewhat older dad, and I'm trying to make the most of the window in between my kid being tall enough to ride these things safely, and me being too old to do it. I went to Six Flags last summer with an adult friend to make sure I could cross a couple items off my bucket list, and we both felt like our asses were kicked after a few hours. If I wait for my kid to reach her full teen/adult height, it'll probably be too late for me. :(

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The Macaroni posted:

1) Is there a good no-contract/pay as you go phone company that serves Scotland? Need a smartphone for a weeklong trip.

Buying a PAYG phone line in the UK is really easy. Look at the following and find their coverage Maps, and pick whichever has the best coverage in the areas you’re visiting.

Three
Vodafone
O2
EE (fastest for cellular data)

If you’re mostly going to be in the cities, any of them will do just fine.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
GiffGaff (awful, awful name, a branch of the 3 network) gets you a lot for your money, no contract- they just have bundles. £20 for unlimited EVERYTHING, various tiers below that too if you have a rough idea of what/how much you need. Works on any unlocked phone.

Don't use Vodafone they have dreadful signal (worst coverage in the UK of the big networks) lots of weird hidden costs included in their 'bundles', particularly if you are using data.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Crabchurch posted:

How much current can an American wall socket handle before it catches fire? Assuming you short the connections in the fuse box.

The garden variety outlets are usually 15 or 20 amps wired with 12 gauge wire which is rated at 20 amps or 1920 watts at 120 volts. Ramp up above that and wait for the smoke! Could happen anywhere in the circuit though. Also IANAL so YMMV

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Why the heck do I keep seeing people abbreviate milliliters as "ml" instead of "mL"? I am in the US, is this how people do it overseas?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm Canadian and use millimeters and always write ml because it's very slightly faster

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've only ever really seen it with a lowercase l, and always assumed L was for illiterate dummies, but wikipedia says it's also valid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litre#Symbol and also gives an explaino.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

You don't write mG.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DaStampede posted:

You don't write mG.

No, but you write liters as a capital L so as to avoid confusion between the letter l and the numeral 1.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

DaStampede posted:

You don't write mG.

MilliGigabyte

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
"No no I'm looking for the 750 milli ONE size."

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 28, 2018

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

you should have just looked next to the 750 m3 and 750 m2 ones

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I think as an old who went through the metric conversion process in Canada, L was used to not confuse with 1. As in a can of beer is 0.454l might be misread as 0.4541 (of what though). There was also a script l thing but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a thing I can install so I can type en dashes easily in Windows? In Mac it's just Alt+Dash but Windows reaaaally doesn't make it easy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My science education just makes me rage every time I see it written as "ml" but if it's an acceptable way of writing it then I guess I can only rage against others so hard (this was for something at work).

Vegetable posted:

Is there a thing I can install so I can type en dashes easily in Windows? In Mac it's just Alt+Dash but Windows reaaaally doesn't make it easy.

I only know how to do it in Word, where you type character_space_dash_space_character_space, which turns the dash into an en-dash. If there's a faster way to do it then that, I'm all ears.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What's the best resource to find many different art pieces for a specific thing.

Like if I wanted to find badass artistic pictures of marmots, or chariots, or dragons, what's the best place to go. Bing image search? I don't want to find lovely deviant art or modern stuff. I want art.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Vegetable posted:

I've gotten very used to typing Alt+0150, which admittedly isn't much help on small laptops without a 10-key.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I only know how to do it in Word, where you type character_space_dash_space_character_space, which turns the dash into an en-dash. If there's a faster way to do it then that, I'm all ears.

In Word it's just Ctrl (numpad) - but obviously in browsers that tends to zoom out the screen.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Unless you do a lot of copy and pasting, you could always just make one, and then copy/paste it whenever you need another.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

C-Euro posted:

My science education just makes me rage every time I see it written as "ml" but if it's an acceptable way of writing it then I guess I can only rage against others so hard (this was for something at work).

Yeah, in a browser I don't know anything faster than the aforementioned alt+0150. I just live with using double hyphens.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks for answers on cell phone, ineptmule and NonzeroCircle!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What's the best resource to find many different art pieces for a specific thing.

Like if I wanted to find badass artistic pictures of marmots, or chariots, or dragons, what's the best place to go. Bing image search? I don't want to find lovely deviant art or modern stuff. I want art.

http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/ is pretty great, it almost seems too obvious? It has 12 pieces of art involving marmots but none of them are very badass.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

uvar posted:

http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/ is pretty great, it almost seems too obvious? It has 12 pieces of art involving marmots but none of them are very badass.

This owns

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I don't want to find ... modern stuff. I want art.

uh oh

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Let's not

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

uvar posted:

She'd beat the crap out of the Lady with an Ermine

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
If a goon, of whom you only have his username, suddenly disappears from the forums, and you know he is (was) living in a developing country with a high crime rate and a political system that is basically a dictatorship; Is there any way to find out more about that person and what might have happened?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to use Imgur on my phone that isnt absolute garbage?

I can't figure out how to actually get links from the official app and all the unofficial ones don't seem to have any functionality beyond the dumb social media stuff they're trying to do either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bongwizzard posted:

Is there any way to use Imgur on my phone that isnt absolute garbage?

I can't figure out how to actually get links from the official app and all the unofficial ones don't seem to have any functionality beyond the dumb social media stuff they're trying to do either.

Both Firefox and Chrome (on Android, at least, not sure about iPhone) have a checkbox right in the settings drop-down menu for "Request desktop site". Check that, and websites (imgur included) will look and work just like they do on a desktop/laptop, without redirecting you to the crappy "mobile" version. You can upload images, copy an image location to clipboard, all that good stuff.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

mrfart posted:

If a goon, of whom you only have his username, suddenly disappears from the forums, and you know he is (was) living in a developing country with a high crime rate and a political system that is basically a dictatorship; Is there any way to find out more about that person and what might have happened?

You would want to look at their post history and internet detective from there. After you've determined all you can from this, you would google "Can't contact person in X" and things along those lines to find people in a similar position as you, and ask them what they have done.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

mrfart posted:

If you're deeply concerned, PM an admin. They might have more info or initiate contact on their side.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I need to gt a new tube for my girlfriend's bike. From what I've just now read of bike tires, the only real "important" number for the inner tube is the larger number, whether I'm going by the ETRTO number or the ISO size, right?

So on this tire/wheel here:

(The rest of the cut-off portion reads 700x32C-28x15/8x11/4

I just have to find myself a 622 ERTRO/700 ISO sized tube with a Presta valve, and that's just about all I need to know?

So this guy here would work fine?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068FAVG4/ref=twister_B072FSC8FR?th=1&psc=1

Or is the 42mm long Presta valve too big? The one on my GF's bike seems shorter than that, though I don't know if that has any bearing whatsoever.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I need to gt a new tube for my girlfriend's bike.
On the Amazon page you linked you can see on the photo of the box that it says it's good for 25-622 to 32-630.
Your 32-622 is in that range.

The valve length shouldn't matter too much on a rim like that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Both Firefox and Chrome (on Android, at least, not sure about iPhone) have a checkbox right in the settings drop-down menu for "Request desktop site". Check that, and websites (imgur included) will look and work just like they do on a desktop/laptop, without redirecting you to the crappy "mobile" version. You can upload images, copy an image location to clipboard, all that good stuff.

That's what I have been doing, but it still acts wonky a lot of the time. I was really hoping for an app a with a focus on the useful parts of the imgur experience and doesn't include the awful social media side of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to reinforce the connections from the wires to this sort of harness?

I just got a replacement from Crutchfield, and a possibility is that through all the cramming and wiggling about to get everything to fit in my dash, some connection got broken in the harness. I'd like to do something to prevent that, even if it wasn't the actual cause of failure. I'm envisioning covering the back of the harness in hot glue or something, but I have no idea if that would work or if it's a good idea.