Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Not even full bowl of ramen, tons of people will just crack a raw egg into their instant ramen at the end of the cooking and stir it in.

My dad taught me this when I was a kid. How to turn instant ramen into a real meal. I still do it. I am a master of dressing up instant ramen, and eggs are a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

empty sea posted:

e: I recently tried those Pioneer Woman Fried Goat Cheese Bites and wow, they were awful. The breading crisped up nicely (I baked them 2 mins extra on each side) and the interior was some decent goat cheese but holy gently caress that "marinara" was the worst thing I've had in a long time. It was super thin and absolutely flavorless. I would've been better if I dipped them in ketchup. The breading also had no flavor at all, just nice texture.

I guess they'd be good if I put some seasoning in the bag and shook it, then baked them and used a real marinara but that defeats the entire purpose of making a depression meal of an entire bag of fried goat cheese bites for dinner, now doesn't it?

Until this post I only knew of Pioneer Woman as an odd choice of branding for dog treats, so reading this was a bit of a journey lemme tell you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RoboRodent posted:

My dad taught me this when I was a kid. How to turn instant ramen into a real meal. I still do it. I am a master of dressing up instant ramen, and eggs are a must.

Absolutely, eggs and ramen have kept me alive during the hard times on many occasions

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

OwlFancier posted:

One nice thing I like is if there's a farmer's market I like to get basically any cheese they're selling, cos it's probably interesting and nice, even if it looks like some sort of mutant hell tumour a lot of the time. Apparently the UK is just super loving into cheese in a way even the continentals aren't quite.

Preach. I'm as far from nationalistic as it's possible to be but one thing I'm passionate about is cheese and it frustrates me that British cheese isn't better known and appreciated internationally because I genuinely think we have the best in the world. I don't know if it's a failure of marketing or the fact we're next to France who fairly or not have the reputation of culinary mastery sucking up a lot of the market for cheese on the continent. Obviously most European countries have their own domestic cheeses, many excellent, but in terms of sheer brilliance across all varieties (hard, soft, washed rind, blue etc) I don't see any other country that can compete. As I tell my sceptical students, what do you need for good cheese? Good dairy, which requires happy cows, which require lush grass, which requires a lot of rain, which we have in abundance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Butterfly Valley posted:

Preach. I'm as far from nationalistic as it's possible to be but one thing I'm passionate about is cheese and it frustrates me that British cheese isn't better known and appreciated internationally because I genuinely think we have the best in the world. I don't know if it's a failure of marketing or the fact we're next to France who fairly or not have the reputation of culinary mastery sucking up a lot of the market for cheese on the continent. Obviously most European countries have their own domestic cheeses, many excellent, but in terms of sheer brilliance across all varieties (hard, soft, washed rind, blue etc) I don't see any other country that can compete. As I tell my sceptical students, what do you need for good cheese? Good dairy, which requires happy cows, which require lush grass, which requires a lot of rain, which we have in abundance.

This is the exact premise of the marketing behind California/Oregon dairy and cheese, and I sure see no reason to disagree.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/1294329315669286917

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vu__GHQthE

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Bees on Wheat posted:

So this just came across my twitter feed.. :barf:

Covid party food

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Personally I am quite happy for UK cheese to remain in the UK because then I get to eat it all.

But I guess perhaps there just isn't a cooking tradition associated with it. A lot of italian or french stuff is used in popular foods from those countries but I can't think of anything from the UK that's the same, I think largely because we don't really cook with cheese, we just eat it. And if you do cook with cheese you probably cook something foreign and sub in your preferred kind. I use stilton in lieu of french blue cheese a lot of the time, or cheddar instead of parmesan.

I also can't really think of any traditional british food that has cheese in it. Other than rarebit, I guess. Or maybe some pasties/pies but that might be a modern thing.

That might also be why there's a lot of different types of cheese because you just eat it as is so much, so you want a lot of variety if you're not doing anything else with it, it's a finished food by itself first and foremost.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ploughman's lunch? I guess that only exists as a Tesco sandwich, can't remember the last time I saw it on a pub menu

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I had a diabetic attack just watching this.

Also it's a terrible visual aesthetic. Sprinkles are a solely visual aspect, just colored wax. Same with the gold leaf. It's making a lot of colors and shiny bits to dazzle you to distract you from the much too much sugar all at once. I hate it.

Nice music though.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://vid.pr0gramm.com/2020/08/15/bc9534bdd8bc2391.mp4

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i like how they got an Indiana Jones Nazi to do the voice over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Ploughman's lunch? I guess that only exists as a Tesco sandwich, can't remember the last time I saw it on a pub menu

Yeah but that's just eating cheese, there's nothing I can think of that's cooked with cheese.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

According to my German in-laws, before they were Dickmann's they were called Moor's Heads, as the original name of [n-word]-Toes was deemed too offensive.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Until about 15 years ago they were called "negro's kisses" in Finland

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Poldarn posted:

According to my German in-laws, before they were Dickmann's they were called Moor's Heads, as the original name of [n-word]-Toes was deemed too offensive.

Moor's Heads or Negro Kisses, depending on region (including Austria). Now they're called Foam Kisses.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SHsDcCiV1c

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-artificial-sweetener-poisoned-lots-of-romans-5877587

quote:

Romans used an artificial sweetener, Sugar of Lead, to sweeten and preserve their foods without taking on additional calories.

Sugar of Lead, likely the first artificial sweetener, is now known as the chemical compound Lead (II) Acetate, and it's a poisonous crystalline solid that resembles table salt.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Yes, looks extremely like a normal pizza...jfc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bees on Wheat posted:

That's some party.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Bees on Wheat posted:

If it’s gonna be that kinda party ima take poo poo in the mashed potatoes

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The wiki page for this has the saddest cheese:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Selklubber posted:

The wiki page for this has the saddest cheese:

Yeah but imagine cracking into this simple but good meal next to these bucolic views:

not sad at all imo. also that's beer in that cup.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Aug 16, 2020

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The best Stilton I've eaten was better than the best Roquefort.
Just my personal taste, but good job England.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sorry I'm now picturing Roman food labels like

SODIUM .................................................. CDXXXmg (XII % RRDA)

and subsequently dying

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have been known to eat a block of cream cheese like an apple

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I'm sorry I'm now picturing Roman food labels like

SODIUM .................................................. CDXXXmg (XII % RRDA)

and subsequently dying

dang it you should have done it like this:

LEAD ACETATE..........................CDXXmg (LXIX% Nice)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Too many jokes at once, lamentably common mistake

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol that article repeating the fall of Rome lead story in TYOOL 2020.

They knew lead was poisonous. They still used it because people aren't rational, but they knew better and weren't dumping lead acetate into every wine amphora.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that was because it was too expensive to do so

(which means that the rich peeps were the ones ingesting it)

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Bees on Wheat posted:

It's every bit as beautiful as I remember. :allears: Thanks!

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Check your electric kettles for drowned huntsman spiders

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

There was a working men's club in the village I grew up in. I used to drink mild and play pool there age fourteen with a tin of snuff.

They sold a "ploughman's lunch". It was 50p and consisted of a Jacobs cream cracker, a dairylea triangle, and a single silverskin pickled onion. Former mining villages, man. Absolutely wild.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/ratemyplatenow/status/1294626334711394305

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Poldarn posted:

the original name of [n-word]-Toes
I thought that was brazil nuts in Racist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've always figured that the lack of cheese in Asian cuisines was due to the fact that being able to process dairy in adulthood is uncommon outside of white people.
Based on the number of people I know who are lactose intolerant and yet still eat as much cheese as they can physically get their hands on, I doubt that's a factor.

Casu Marzu posted:

I did a social distance cheese party earlier this summer, and from left to right is 5/8/10/12/15/20 year old cheddars.
Why are they orange?

It's a black hole of sugar. :stonk:

A: No, it doesn't look like a normal pizza and B: They're doing clickbait wrong - you're not supposed to give away the answer in the headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

If it’s gonna be that kinda party ima take poo poo in the mashed potatoes

That reminds me I haven't watched waiting in a while