Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mediaphage posted:

lol yeah i’m sure renting out her basement is really cramping housing

??? All landlords are bad. Extracting wealth from tenants is bad. Landlords are parasites and being both a landlord and a politician is very bad. Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I love landlords and privatisation. Social democracy ftw vote orange baybee

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

milkrun posted:

The sheer level of bitching and moaning I'm seeing over the capital gains tax increase is bringing me dangerously close to liking Trudeau

it’s all the worst people I know lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DaysBefore posted:

??? All landlords are bad. Extracting wealth from tenants is bad. Landlords are parasites and being both a landlord and a politician is very bad. Holy poo poo

yes naturally because i can’t be bothered getting upset over someone renting out a room in their own house it means i just love landlords yum yum yum

it’s just tiring that the nominal left spends its time getting furious about purity tests online.

i just don’t think this matters that much

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

DaysBefore posted:

Lol at Andrea Horwath privatising Hamilton's busses. Vote Orange No Matter Who

Bring back Social Credit but direct the alleged antisemitism exclusively to the State of Israel.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

milkrun posted:

The sheer level of bitching and moaning I'm seeing over the capital gains tax increase is bringing me dangerously close to liking Trudeau

Still waiting for media to report on the easily verifiable history of capital gains inclusion rates:

pre-1988: 50%
1988-1989: 67%
1990-1999: 75%
2000-2024: 50%
2024-: 50% up to 250k, 67% above (This Is Communism!!!)

Does anyone loving remember who was prime minister for the three previous changes??

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Still waiting for media to report on the easily verifiable history of capital gains inclusion rates:

Does anyone loving remember who was prime minister for the three previous changes??

:ssh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is like when the pricks in the us complain about tax rates while simultaneously glorifying the 50s, when the highest marginal tax rate was 92%

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Check out this quote from the Fraser Institute:

Third, it is commonly believed that is largely the rich who earn capital gains, but this is a result of the way in which income is measured in most analyses. Specifically, the capital gains themselves are included in the measurement of income, which inflates the income of people claiming capital gains. The share of capital gains taxes paid by those earning more than $150,000 per year (in 2020) falls from 77.4 percent when the capital gain is included in income to 48.0 percent when it is excluded. In other words, those earning less than $150,000 a year pay a much greater portion of capital gains taxes than many believe.

Half of capital gains taxes are paid by people earning less than $150k/year! ...in other income. Which is upper upper middle class, clearly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

no.

like, seriously, no. voters have the memory of goldfish, without living in a 2-litre glass bowl as an excuse

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I'm going to be a hypocrite, but the average Canadian has no memory, and there's no talking to them or persuading them as if they do, or can connect cause with effect.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Check out this quote from the Fraser Institute:

Third, it is commonly believed that is largely the rich who earn capital gains, but this is a result of the way in which income is measured in most analyses. Specifically, the capital gains themselves are included in the measurement of income, which inflates the income of people claiming capital gains. The share of capital gains taxes paid by those earning more than $150,000 per year (in 2020) falls from 77.4 percent when the capital gain is included in income to 48.0 percent when it is excluded. In other words, those earning less than $150,000 a year pay a much greater portion of capital gains taxes than many believe.

Half of capital gains taxes are paid by people earning less than $150k/year! ...in other income. Which is upper upper middle class, clearly.

i'm guessing the way that's worded we're talking about people whose primary income is capital gains, rather than say a steelworker

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

i'm guessing the way that's worded we're talking about people whose primary income is capital gains, rather than say a steelworker

It could literally be Conrad Black earning $0 employment income and paying 20% of the capital gains tax in the country for all I know.

The funny thing is that article is from a few years ago preemptively whining about a hypothetical return to 75% inclusion with no graduation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

turdeau is literally genociding small business owners and landlords (good)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
got another empty storefront on my street today. soon the landlords will be out of business too, and they will have nowhere to work :twisted:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DaysBefore posted:

Lol almost all of these seem to be venture capital scam startups. No Irvings, no Westons, no Sobeys or McCains. Our gentry families didn't even bother to sign

The two Halifax companies seem to be a) an AI-powered (??) property app for landlords and b) a fart app for investors

Hey one of them is a Halifax-based VC fund (founded by a guy who created it to invest in his other startup, totally not a scam)

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

pumping my life savings into a new VC which will invest in my new startup which uses AI to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of stairwells for all the l*xury condos.

On the blockchain.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

RealityWarCriminal posted:

got another empty storefront on my street today. soon the landlords will be out of business too, and they will have nowhere to work :twisted:

what if they have a marketable skillset and a go-getter attitude though

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

mediaphage posted:

yes naturally because i can’t be bothered getting upset over someone renting out a room in their own house it means i just love landlords yum yum yum

it’s just tiring that the nominal left spends its time getting furious about purity tests online.

i just don’t think this matters that much

You're right about that last part, I would just extend it to the rest of your post. Ya can't let online venting/dissing get you down; purity tests don't really occur anywhere, nobody has that kind of control over your beliefs & behaviour

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

You're right about that last part, I would just extend it to the rest of your post. Ya can't let online venting/dissing get you down; purity tests don't really occur anywhere, nobody has that kind of control over your beliefs & behaviour

it doesn't get me down, i mean, i certainly don't think about this thread when it isn't directly in front of me

"purity test" is shorthand, i obviously don't mean there are literal purity tests lmao

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm pure
impure

poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s ok the degenerates have more fun

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

mediaphage posted:

Yes.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I don't even care, though. I don't care about this thread that I'm reading and posting in at all. I'm totally careless, over here.

(god I hope nobody notices that I care a lot obviously!!!)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bleck posted:

I don't even care, though. I don't care about this thread that I'm reading and posting in at all. I'm totally careless, over here.

;-*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bleck posted:

i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take it any more

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

no.

like, seriously, no. voters have the memory of goldfish, without living in a 2-litre glass bowl as an excuse

keeping people too busy struggling to survive to care about who's in charge is a strategy as old as democracy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

e: i don't really have a stake in the horwarth debate but, yknow, gently caress landlording in general

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Apr 19, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blood Boils posted:

I miss living near an Uncle Fatih's

One just opened up around the corner from me. It worth the hype?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take it any more

What are you gonna do about it, not vote?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

how dare you suggest someone not exercise their civic responsibility

quote:

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) say 14 people have been arrested and face up to 56 charges as part of an alleged grandparent scam that often targeted seniors, with the organized crime group costing victims over $2.2 million across Canada.

Aimed at seniors with a landline telephone, the group using the emergency grandparent scam pretended to be an officer or a lawyer and claimed to have the victim’s grandchild or family member in custody.

Grandparent scams prey on the emotions of older adults and can be highly effective in tricking them into sending money before they realize they have been deceived.

OPP said the suspects would request bail money to secure the victim’s family member’s release, and in most cases, “money mules” were used to collect the funds. Investigators said the victims were instructed not to speak to anyone due to a “gag order” they said was in effect.

Though victims were located across Canada, OPP said the majority of the targeted individuals live in Ontario, with an age range of 46 to 95 years old.

From January 22, 2024, to April 8, 2024, police identified 126 victims who lost approximately $739,000 to the organized crime group. Of the 126 victims, OPP said 15 were re-victimized multiple times, losing more than $243,000.

Investigators have worked with financial institutions to prevent or recover more than $559,000 in losses.

14 people arrested are from Montreal, Quebec area
The suspects were identified as Matthew Malla, 30, Michael Beauchamp, 25, Giordano De Luca, 24, Damian Dufresne, 25, Francesco Farinaccio Modafferi, 26, Franco Gallucci, 30, Jonathan Goral, 27, Christopher Melchiorre, 26, Stefano Caucci, 25, Matthew Marrone, 26, Brandon Colella, 27, Erin Rud, 33, Samuel Ferron, 25, Steven Chodjai, 36.

Grandparent scams usually start with a phone call, although they can also occur through email, social media, or other forms of communication.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bilirubin posted:

One just opened up around the corner from me. It worth the hype?

The hipster in me says no, he sold out and became a popular franchise blah blah etc etc

But the snacklord in me says yes, it's worth trying a slice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm going to post meta-ironically on an internet forum about it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Thank you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

o7

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

your shitposting is appreciated

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

The caring, however... that, we're gonna have to talk about.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I'm very not cool and have caught myself caring about posting at times but usually catch myself and go outside and touch snow or grass.

In other news I learned today that you can't write in candidates which I feel I should have known, so much for writing "a raccoon" on my next federal ballot.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

digitalist posted:

I'm very not cool and have caught myself caring about posting at times

Not me, heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Write it anyway. It'll matter just as much