Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

nerdbot posted:

I was actually kinda worried Hussie would forget there were two of some of the sprites. I have no idea why I thought he'd forget something after 6 years.

I wonder what his notes look like

I remember how hard I laughed when I saw the storyboards or production sketches or whatever you want to call it for SBAHJ, everything was so thought out including the idiot mouth shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Notes? Hussie has eat, drank, and slept Homestuck for so long it's embedded in his consciousness.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I wonder what his notes look like

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Izzhov posted:

I thought it was practically canon at this point that the troll universe was created by a session of 48 Squiddles, who went on to become the Horrorterrors of the Furthest Ring.

Wait, what

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I await the day Hussie will make good on his threat of showing the 48-players Squiddle session.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
There seems to be kind of a Sartrean existentialist point to a lot of the recent updates: people have to accept that they have an essence, and an essence they can't escape from, but at the same time, they are responsible for the choices they make and who they become.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

John witnessing the lengths Vriska went to in order to secure the treasure was basically Camus and Sartre's argument over Marxism as retold by pixel teenagers.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dolash posted:

John witnessing the lengths Vriska went to in order to secure the treasure was basically Camus and Sartre's argument over Marxism as retold by pixel teenagers.

i want to see slavoj zizek explain homestuck

vell you sheee *sucks wetly on tongue*

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

paranoid randroid posted:

i want to see slavoj zizek explain homestuck

vell you sheee *sucks wetly on tongue*

Bring back LF and I guarantee this will happen.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

RZApublican posted:

Bring back LF and I guarantee this will happen.

Hi, I'm LF Superstar Impper, here to exposite on futurist aesthetic in Homestuck. *arms jerks spasmodically into a bellamy salute*

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

net cafe scandal posted:

You now have one of the, if not the worst avatar on this website.

Eh. At least now I can be more easily distinguished; it's the equivalent of having a really ugly face instead of being faceless.

Plus I didn't pay for it!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I just realized something: if you see Sburb as sacrificing a single planet (albeit an inhabited one, regrettably) to possibly generate a whore new universe, than it is a very good proposition from a cosmic standpoint.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

paradoxGentleman posted:

whore new universe

Damara?

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Universe A being created by a 48-player Sburb session is suggested by a line of Karkat's late in Act 5 Act 1 about Terezi being "harder to decipher than all 48 daily horoscope riddles combined." This session being populated by Squiddles was one of many running gags in Hussie's Formspring Q&As, which had a tendency to crop up in the comic. The bit about them becoming the horrorterrors is a just persistent bit of fanon that I personally don't consider all that well-founded, but it could happen, yeah.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

On the one hand, it makes no sense for autocorrect to change that word.
On the other hand, L and R are very far apart on my keyboard.

So I guess I had a Freudian slip? I don't know.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Note to Self posted:

This session being populated by Squiddles was one of many running gags in Hussie's Formspring Q&As, which had a tendency to crop up in the comic.

The level of intertextuality in Homestuck still strikes me as one of the biggest barriers to a reread and is why it's still more of an experience than a replayable artifact...

EDIT: I'm surprised there hasn't been as strong a push as I'd expect for an Annotated Homestuck above and beyond the print copy given how much of the intertextuality depends on ephemera which has probably already disappeared from the web.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 3, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

paradoxGentleman posted:

I just realized something: if you see Sburb as sacrificing a single planet (albeit an inhabited one, regrettably) to possibly generate a whore new universe, than it is a very good proposition from a cosmic standpoint.

Well, in the case of the trolls it killed their entire race across multiple worlds, although that might've been an artifact of Doc Scratch rigging things to work that way.

It's also kind of garbage because the reasons why it has to destroy an inhabited world are thin as hell, it basically comes down to pacing the meteors that hit the Battlefield, providing a way for the baby players to arrive on their homeworld in the first place and maybe providing the players motivation to go forward rather than try and return to their old world. All of these are pretty contrived to fit the narrative and you could probably tweak them to cut out the planet-killing.

Heck, here's a simple one - alter the pace of the meteors such that the deadline the players are racing against isn't the destruction of Skaia, it's the destruction of their homeworld. If you need a complete loop then make it so that the big, final meteor they need to beat the Black King before will be sent by its portal back in time to destroy the world before the players entering a game, thus forcing a time paradox, thus making all timelines where the players fail to beat the game on time beta timelines.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The level of intertextuality in Homestuck still strikes me as one of the biggest barriers to a reread and is why it's still more of an experience than a replayable artifact...

EDIT: I'm surprised there hasn't been as strong a push as I'd expect for an Annotated Homestuck above and beyond the print copy given how much of the intertextuality depends on ephemera which has probably already disappeared from the web.

I dunno I mean there's plenty of tiny references and jokes that a current reader wouldn't get (Dr. Brinner's letter, Mayonaka's pendant, etc.) but none of them are significant or even really give the feeling that you're missing out since most people won't even notice them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Didn't/Isn't somebody already do/doing this? I recall there being a whole site dedicated to this that isn't the wiki.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Indie Rocktopus was doing an annotated Homestuck thing a while back, but I don't think he's done anything with it in a while. I think he was going to wait for act six to play out before he did his analysis of it anyway.

Here's his tumblr: http://apocryphaannotator.tumblr.com/
Here's the actual annotation thing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_YbdpWDR44yZlJtTEJyOWFMR3M/view

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I dunno I mean there's plenty of tiny references and jokes that a current reader wouldn't get (Dr. Brinner's letter, Mayonaka's pendant, etc.) but none of them are significant or even really give the feeling that you're missing out since most people won't even notice them.

Wait what are Dr Brinner's letter and Mayonaka's pendant?

Also an annotated Homestuck would be awesome

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Magres posted:

Wait what are Dr Brinner's letter and Mayonaka's pendant?

Also an annotated Homestuck would be awesome

Dr. Brinner was the main character of a popular fan adventure way back when, though I couldn't tell you more.

Another popular fan adventure was on based on the Felt. I think it was by the guy who originally made up the midnight crew, although the version in the comic only shares a name with his original thing. The adventure was fun because Hussie told the guy what Matchsticks' and Quarters' powers were years before they appeared in-comic. In it the felt were led by a shadowy figure called Doctor Mayonaka, who was basically a generic villain taking the place of Doc Scratch and Lord English back when the latter was just a name and the former was nonexistant. He wore a unique pendant which could be seen at the end of the Intermission, although it has recently become slightly obscured by oil.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Slightly obscured by oil" would be a great euphemism for "drunk".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Slightly obscured by oil" would be a great euphemism for "drunk".

im sure janes got that one socked away in her vault of raymond chandlerisms

hey mac, lets 86 the souse. hes obscured by oil and putting the moves on all the wrong dames.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Huh. I'd forgotten. "Well-oiled" really is a synonym for drunk.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Maybe derived from "the social lubricant". I wasn't making the connection either.

You can remove the retcon bit at the end of the image URL to see the original, the whole pendant is visible.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ariong posted:

Dr. Brinner was the main character of a popular fan adventure way back when, though I couldn't tell you more.

Another popular fan adventure was on based on the Felt. I think it was by the guy who originally made up the midnight crew, although the version in the comic only shares a name with his original thing. The adventure was fun because Hussie told the guy what Matchsticks' and Quarters' powers were years before they appeared in-comic. In it the felt were led by a shadowy figure called Doctor Mayonaka, who was basically a generic villain taking the place of Doc Scratch and Lord English back when the latter was just a name and the former was nonexistant. He wore a unique pendant which could be seen at the end of the Intermission, although it has recently become slightly obscured by oil.

To expand on that a little:

Dr Brinner was a fandom in-joke in the days before Act 5. The joke was that it was some massive magnum opus of Hussie's so much larger and grander than anything before or since that was subsequently removed from the internet, possibly to as part of its conclusion. It never existed, of course, but it was a popular thing to talk about and I think he got put into a few fanfictions.

The Felt fan adventure was created by the person that originally came up with the Midnight Crew as a donation command during Problem Sleuth, which is why Hussie fed him information. It also revealed Lord English's pool ball eyes before that ever came up in the comic. Mayonaka was a character like LE but on the Midnight Crew's side. The fan adventure fell apart because the audience couldn't tell how canon it was and that led to a lot of arguments.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress I keep forgetting updates are effectively Sunday-Thursday and get upset when there's no Friday update.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
I don't think the guy who did the Felt adventure actually got much information out of Hussie. There was the thing with LE's eyes, yeah, but from the looks of things, he didn't even get full body references for the Felt that hadn't been shown in the comic, and iirc, he thought that Spades Slick was the same guy as the kids' Jack Noir. And I don't even know what was up with that green Snowman.

Also I'm pretty sure he called the Midnight Crew yakuza on more than one occasion, so...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That's forgivable. I'm sure he didn't have all the info. Like, if you were to make a fan adventure about the 48 player squiddle session and then afterwards cross-reference it with the various notebooks and files Hussie has concerning it, I'm sure you would have more than a few discrepancies.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Jane from Homestuck kicks rear end.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Jane from Homestuck kicks rear end.

*high five*

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Note to Self posted:

Universe A being created by a 48-player Sburb session is suggested by a line of Karkat's late in Act 5 Act 1 about Terezi being "harder to decipher than all 48 daily horoscope riddles combined." This session being populated by Squiddles was one of many running gags in Hussie's Formspring Q&As, which had a tendency to crop up in the comic. The bit about them becoming the horrorterrors is a just persistent bit of fanon that I personally don't consider all that well-founded, but it could happen, yeah.

Squiddles are actually trickster horrorterrors, that is canon. If this page is canon, anyway.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Squiddles are actually trickster horrorterrors, that is canon. If this page is canon, anyway.

Jesus Christ I forgot Jake got a Geromy tattoo. Dirk really did a number on him.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

All this talk of the horrorterrors really just makes me wish that Hussie would finish Whistles.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Jesus Christ I forgot Jake got a Geromy tattoo. Dirk really did a number on him.

jasperose is gonna drop the fridge on his head so he can go chill with (vriska) and compare breakup stories

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Alright, so, thoughts:

My mind keeps going back to this interview with Hussie about Hivebent.

Andrew Hussie posted:

In games, the characters die all the time. How many times did you let Mario fall in the pit before he saved the princess? Who weeps for these Marios. In games your characters die, but you keep trying and trying and rebooting and resetting until finally they make it. When you play a game this process is all very impersonal. Once you finally win, when all is said and done those deaths didn’t “count”, only the linear path of the final victorious version of the character is considered “real”. Mario never actually died, did he? Except the omniscient player knows better. Homestuck seems to combine all the meaningless deaths of a trial-and-error game journey with the way death is treated dramatically in other media, where unlike our oblivious Mario, the characters are aware and afraid of the many deaths they must experience before finally winning the game.

The purest example of this conception of death would be Aradia, who, every time she was faced with a doomed timeline, simply reloaded back to a point where the outcome could be avoided, and does what it takes to avoid it. Each time Aradia warps back in time, she brings with her knowledge that she couldn't have possessed otherwise, but is still necessary to "win" the "game". Dave's approach to death is less disaffected, as he makes it a goal of his to avoid "Dead Daves" as much as possible, with a few notable exceptions. He's like a player who, after screwing up once, goes out and buys a strategy guide to make sure he avoids mistakes from then on. As he says, "Dead Daves are the enemy". This aversion to his own demise translates to Davesprite as well, whom he is quick to dissociate from when it's convenient for him to do so. Less wary are John and Roxy, who greatly value the experiences learned from each value, as demonstrated when they both took their respective denizens' offers to retain that knowledge and use it for the benefit of another group of players. They both also speak of all of their alternate selves still mattering, even if they're doomed to failure in some way, and John even encourages his "irrelevant" selves to keep going anyway.

The big upset to this concept is Calliope, whom I think I'll talk about another time, because who I REALLY want to talk about is Vriska.

Vriska is the one who made it, and is therefore The Correct Vriska, the only Vriska that matters, in her view. She's not dissimilar to Dave in that way. However, as a player she's more likely to jump right back into the fray, rather than consider what went wrong when she died and what steps she could take to avoid a repeat of that scenario. As demonstrated, she's perfectly willing to Leroy Jenkins into the final boss, and the fact that the only reason she survived the last time was because the rest of her party kept her safe. To her, that doesn't matter; she's the Vriska who lived, and by virtue of still being alive, she rationalizes that she must have done everything right to have survived what the other Vriskas didn't or couldn't. She'll continue this pattern until her luck runs out, and so it's fitting that her aspect is so closely tied to luck.

Nonetheless, Vriska still has a lot to answer for. In every timeline we've seen, she is still largely responsible for Bec Noir's creation, and with it, the Green Sun's genesis, Doc Scratch's arrival into her own session, and ultimately, Lord English's appearance in the troll session. The karmic debt may have been settled in part by (Vriska), but I strongly suspect that Vriska will not live to see the new Universe's creation.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Wonder if we're going to have any run ins with the Handmaid or any other of Lord English's chums in Hiveswap.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If the tutorial character isn't just Aradia going :D I will be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Vriska is the one who made it, and is therefore The Correct Vriska, the only Vriska that matters, in her view. She's not dissimilar to Dave in that way. However, as a player she's more likely to jump right back into the fray, rather than consider what went wrong when she died and what steps she could take to avoid a repeat of that scenario. As demonstrated, she's perfectly willing to Leroy Jenkins into the final boss, and the fact that the only reason she survived the last time was because the rest of her party kept her safe. To her, that doesn't matter; she's the Vriska who lived, and by virtue of still being alive, she rationalizes that she must have done everything right to have survived what the other Vriskas didn't or couldn't. She'll continue this pattern until her luck runs out, and so it's fitting that her aspect is so closely tied to luck.

Nonetheless, Vriska still has a lot to answer for. In every timeline we've seen, she is still largely responsible for Bec Noir's creation, and with it, the Green Sun's genesis, Doc Scratch's arrival into her own session, and ultimately, Lord English's appearance in the troll session. The karmic debt may have been settled in part by (Vriska), but I strongly suspect that Vriska will not live to see the new Universe's creation.

i disagree with just about everything.

first off its plain that she knows that she had literally no say in the fact that she didnt get stabbed to death. if she doesnt know this, why is she resistant to the idea of saying that eridan doesnt deserve to be sprited over nepeta or feferi? she knows that she did nothing to earn a second chance, and if eridan doesnt deserve a second chance as well it says very uncomfortable things about her. the fact that she bullshits up a huge thing about how she "made different choices" or whatever while terrorizing her dead-self only reinforces this. because that entire conversation was her externalizing her own fears and problems.

secondly she was like, at most, one part of a huge clusterfuck that led to the creation of bec noir. she put john to sleep, sure, but bec tossed all the other options for prototyping into space and prototyped himself. karkat and kanaya made the universe unviable in the first place. gamzee created the little clown doll that kicked off everything. her talking about being the one to create the big bad evil guy was just her vriskaing at maximum velocity - talking herself up to make herself seem important and nefarious, like she does.

thirdly, (vriska) hasnt done poo poo to pay her karmic debt, which i can only assume is part of the reason vriska despises her. shes jumped straight to the part of the deal where she gets to be happy without "wiping out all the bad things [shes] done". thats not how it works for vriska. she repays the bad things shes done, or pays for them, so she doesnt have to feel bad about them or think too hard about how she caused them in the first place.

fourthly, no shut up everythings going to be fine. shut up. lalalala i cant hear you.