Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Alot of replies...

Yeah, the 2 tone burst is the way to go, I think it just looks cleaner. The ash woodgrain looks great with the burst too. I think this one is a "hard ash" tone wood, because it is heavy as hell, almost feels as heavy as a les paul, but not too bad when its strapped up.

Not sure about the knobs in coffee (what color do they turn?), but im curious about the mint green guards...is that "off white"? Im having trouble finding some pictures online of a comparison between the mint and the white or whatever. Maybe there are guards for sale at guitarcenter for me to see in person.

Thanks for all the trem info.

Yeah, mine is floating proper, but I have not had any tuning issues, and I havent used the trem that much. If I do, I expect to use it as a vibrato type effect less than some serious bending. Someone I know suggested getting graphite nuts as well to try to prevent this tuning stability effect.

Getting the Calaham bridge, do you notice a real difference? Such as in the resonance or what-have-you? If I were to do that replacement, Im assuming I would need to do a re-setup too. And I don't have a good tuner to do the intonation with.

It's mostly vintage correct :fap:-age. Mint green is "vintage correct" as the older strat's pickguards materials turned a slight greenish tint with age. Two tone burst is also vintage correct, I believe. Stamped saddles (that you get with the callaham upgrade) are as well and are often said to have a bit to do with that glassy chime the vintage strats have. And, yes, the callaham was night and day from the stock (MIM) block and graphtechs, tons more sustain, a lot more punch and snap, the bar is also stiffer and feels better to use (that's what she said). I have no tuning problems or string breaking problems. Everything is machined steel, not cast, and fits very well, they even gave solid steel screws to remount the trem with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn
drat all that Steve Vai mocking a few pages ago and I missed my chance to post this. :D

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!

Wobegon posted:

drat all that Steve Vai mocking a few pages ago and I missed my chance to post this. :D

I think guitar players latch onto Steve Vai because he isn't like other shredders; he has the ability to think beyond metal head banging type shred and incorporate the "passion" of Santana. 90's era Santana.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I think he meant to post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXR9ggRdFI
StSanders was a genius, when he basically plays nothing during the sustainer sequences is perfect. When I saw the real one, it just looked like an old man jacking-off, but without sound it finally killed me.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Yoozer posted:

More pictures, damnit!

Today, it arrived from the UK:

and yesterday this was delivered to me at work:

The latter is an early sample-based synthesizer that can combine basic waveforms (square, saw) with short sampled attacks. The samples can't be filtered (digital filters were too much for the CPU, apparently) but the basic waveforms can. It sounds surprisingly nice and has its own reverb, which is not even that crap. It also blends nicely with my other Roland analogs.

Awesome, I've always been interested in this series (FYI it's a Roland D-20). However, I think I'll just get a V-Synth with a D50 card to rock on that Shakuhachi sound over Fantasia pads. Which will probably not happen soon unless I win lottery or something.

quote:

Is the automap on this thing as good as it sounds? I had an Axiom for a little while and could never figure out how to get it to do anything interesting.

It works well with many DAWs and VSTs. I can't get it to work right with Ableton, but I'm always remapping my stuff everywhere anyway. With Nuendo / Cubase, it works perfectly as a basic control surface. The sliders are the track volumes, and you see the names of the tracks on top above them with a basic VU meter. When you load up Cubase, it automatically detects it and load up the basic mapping for it. It supports around 40 automaps, including Native Instruments, Reason, and a lot more, but I haven't tried a lot of them. You can save your mappings directly into the thing and load them back very easily. I can't comment for the keyboard, as I only have the Zero version, which is keyboardless.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Wobegon posted:

I was all ready to like steve vai, and then came the aimless shredding over a looper.

Also the camera work with the look starting at 3:42? Holy poo poo, I lost it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

ogopogo posted:

Let me know what you think of that amp, as I was looking at it last fall, but couldn't justify it quite yet. It's definitely time for an amp upgrade (rocktron R50 lol) but just not quite sure what to go with.

The amp just arrived and I hauled it back to my dorm maybe half an hour ago. Here's my first impression of it.

First of all, thing is drat heavy. My dorm is all the way across campus from where I had to pick this up, and it took me a long while to carry it back. It only weighs 30 pounds or something, but it's awkward to carry.

Once I got into my dorm, though, things started looking up. To my (untrained) eye, this thing looks pretty well put together; no loose switches or knobs, no tears in the finish, nothing rattles, no screws missing or anything. It feels pretty solid, I'm pretty sure I could bring this back and forth on campus to play in various coffee shops or whatever, stick it in the back seat of somebody's car or van and not worry about poo poo getting messed up.

It sounds nice, too. The sound had a real emphasis on the low end and middle range, you could definitely hear the lower four strings much better than the top two. On the other hand, that may well be a product of the fact that my strings are essentially completely dead and I need to replace them badly. But with dead strings, the sound was pretty nice and something I don't mind listening to. I switched up to 15 watts a couple of times, and it easily got louder than I'd be comfortable playing with other people in my suite, and the distortion was really nice. I don't really have the vocabulary to describe how it sounded; 'crunchy' is good for distortion, right?

I'll post a more thorough review in a week or so, after I've had some time to play with it and get new strings on my guitar. It's making my p90s sound real nice, though.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Coca Koala posted:

The amp just arrived and I hauled it back to my dorm maybe half an hour ago. Here's my first impression of it.

First of all, thing is drat heavy. My dorm is all the way across campus from where I had to pick this up, and it took me a long while to carry it back. It only weighs 30 pounds or something, but it's awkward to carry.

Once I got into my dorm, though, things started looking up. To my (untrained) eye, this thing looks pretty well put together; no loose switches or knobs, no tears in the finish, nothing rattles, no screws missing or anything. It feels pretty solid, I'm pretty sure I could bring this back and forth on campus to play in various coffee shops or whatever, stick it in the back seat of somebody's car or van and not worry about poo poo getting messed up.

It sounds nice, too. The sound had a real emphasis on the low end and middle range, you could definitely hear the lower four strings much better than the top two. On the other hand, that may well be a product of the fact that my strings are essentially completely dead and I need to replace them badly. But with dead strings, the sound was pretty nice and something I don't mind listening to. I switched up to 15 watts a couple of times, and it easily got louder than I'd be comfortable playing with other people in my suite, and the distortion was really nice. I don't really have the vocabulary to describe how it sounded; 'crunchy' is good for distortion, right?

I'll post a more thorough review in a week or so, after I've had some time to play with it and get new strings on my guitar. It's making my p90s sound real nice, though.

Man you hit pretty much every word I was look for in an amp. Crunchy, emphasis on the low end. Sweet. I look forward to a more detailed review later on!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

ZombiePeanut posted:

I was all ready to like steve vai, and then came the aimless shredding over a looper.

Also the camera work with the look starting at 3:42? Holy poo poo, I lost it.

3:42 is good, but wait till you get to the "corksniffer face" about 8 seconds later, or 5:25, or the 8:00. Jesus 8:00, hahaha. Then he has a guy come out and play one of the necks on a 3-neck guitar for him, despite the fact that that guy has his own guitar, ffs. Its the definitive thesis on why Steve Vai is an insufferable human being.

Dirtyhat
Mar 29, 2005

You got moxie, kid.

HolySwissCheese posted:

How does it sound? Playing in on guitar?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

HolySwissCheese posted:

What does the Wicker switch do? EHX haven't put a demo online yet.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

ogopogo posted:

Man you hit pretty much every word I was look for in an amp. Crunchy, emphasis on the low end. Sweet. I look forward to a more detailed review later on!

Keep in mind, I'm not entirely positive 'crunchy' is the right word. If you like, I can try and record a clip of me playing with the amp today or thursday; I can't promise the playing quality will be amazing, but the sound quality should be decent.

And it turns out that if you play with the presence knob, it'll up the focus on the high end a bit, but the low end is still very definitely there. So if that's what you're looking for in an amp, then this one might be a good deal.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

So I just got my Yamaha DD-65 and the PA-150, and I must say it is actually pretty sweet. Does everything I really need it to do when I'm on campus and access to a drum set is sorta difficult. However I hate the kick pads. Since I don't know the first thing about electronic drums, I have a question for you guys.

Could I buy something like this http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-KD8-Kick-Trigger-Pad?sku=449921 and hook it up to the pedal 1 or pedal 2 ports in the back then just use my twin Iron Cobras? If anyone can answer this I'll love them forever (no promises).

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
I've been sitting on posting for awhile since nothing much has happened. I got a new amp, my project guitar went from unpainted to awesome, and I picked up another new guitar.

I bought the `88 Marshall 2002 Lead 12 in the center for $100. The friend that sold it to me was kind enough to give me a few miles worth of cables and other assorted gear with it.

And the friend that was painting my Kramer Disciple body finished, I think he did an awesome job; I can't photograph it properly with artificial light unfortunately. I picked up a Mo' Joe and a PAF Joe for it.

And the 1989 Gibson Explorer. I'm in love with this guitar. Every time I play it I'm impressed at how good it sounds, and when a note resonates through the whole body it sounds and feels so right. The body is in great condition, two or three chips on it and the rest is drat near immaculate. I've loved the look of Explorers, despite how polarizing they are to people. The white is that perfect cream color, and the pickguard was painted pearl white by the previous owner.

Can anyone tell me a good place to be looking for a neck for my Kramer? I want to get an Aluminum neck for it, but no amount of searching can seem to turn anything up. A reproduction is fine.

Dzus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 14, 2009

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Dirtyhat posted:

How does it sound? Playing in on guitar?

Amazing. It makes the original Muff sound like you were listening to an amp in another room. The entire time I've played EHX Muff-line variants (this is the fourth I've owned), I've always thought the NYC Big Muff Pi would be awesome if I could just disconnect the tone circuit. When I found out about it, I seriously thought EHX had read my mind or something. I ordered it from Amazon the next day.

the wizards beard posted:

What does the Wicker switch do? EHX haven't put a demo online yet.

According to the EHX website, there are three specific knob combos that Mike Mathews thought sounded too raspy or unsmooth, so he added three filters to take out highs at specific frequencies. Turning the Wicker on takes the filters out of the circuit.

The Wicker adds a lot of highend and makes the distortion less Santana-smooth. I think if I had different guitars I would use the Wicker switch. I'm using a Dano U2 and Tele, both on the bridge pickup, so I already have plenty of brightness. I think if I were using a humbucker in the neck position or if I were only using the pedal for a solo boost, then I would definitely turn the Wicker switch on.

Basically if a Big Muff Pi were designed so it could cut through mixes, it would be the Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker.

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster
I've read through (literally) this entire thread, and I think this is the first time I'm posting.

For $50, a Yamaha RX-7 drum machine/sequencer. I'm actually more interested in using it for its MIDI capabilities (as you can see from the problem thread I've already made), but it is a cool little unit and has some neat sounds. Hopefully, I can find some of the fabled cartridges and get some more samples, but that's later on down the road.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
It's been a while since I could post in this thread, but I got hired at McDonald's today (:(), and I needed this for school anyway, so I bought this!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
gently caress

Went into my usual guitar shop to check out basses, and ended up walking out with this despite not having any intention to buy. I hope I made the right choice, it certainly feels pretty nice.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dzus posted:

Can anyone tell me a good place to be looking for a neck for my Kramer? I want to get an Aluminum neck for it, but no amount of searching can seem to turn anything up. A reproduction is fine.

The man you are looking for is here -> http://www.baileycustomguitar.com/

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Concatenation posted:

gently caress

Went into my usual guitar shop to check out basses, and ended up walking out with this despite not having any intention to buy. I hope I made the right choice, it certainly feels pretty nice.
It's been my experience that no Ibanez is a bad Ibanez, provided you'll play it :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

It's been my experience that no Ibanez is a bad Ibanez, provided you'll play it :)

I agree. Even some of their new Chinese models are pretty drat decent off the rack. I played a Jet King bass in Guitar Center a few weeks ago and just about walked out the door with it.

It's rare that I pick up a bass and instantly connect with it in terms of playability. Usually I have to get used to the action, relief, find the sweet spot, etc. But this thing was set up perfectly for my style/technique.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Dzus posted:

And the 1989 Gibson Explorer. I'm in love with this guitar.

I've never been a fan of Explorers, but that thing is sex. Congrats on finding the only classy looking Explorer ever made.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Leninboarrir posted:

I've read through (literally) this entire thread, and I think this is the first time I'm posting.

For $50, a Yamaha RX-7 drum machine/sequencer. I'm actually more interested in using it for its MIDI capabilities (as you can see from the problem thread I've already made), but it is a cool little unit and has some neat sounds. Hopefully, I can find some of the fabled cartridges and get some more samples, but that's later on down the road.

This is the one that everyone is trying to circuit bend, right? Does it have the bass sound (and other cliche samples) like the RX5?

doo doo guy
Jan 2, 2008

This thing sounds cool as hell.

STACK OVERFLOW
Apr 17, 2007

... PWND!

Concatenation posted:

gently caress

I have the same bass. I love the thing. You will not be disappointed.
The following is also true:

scuz posted:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The Dark Wind posted:

So I just got my Yamaha DD-65 and the PA-150, and I must say it is actually pretty sweet. Does everything I really need it to do when I'm on campus and access to a drum set is sorta difficult. However I hate the kick pads. Since I don't know the first thing about electronic drums, I have a question for you guys.

Could I buy something like this http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-KD8-Kick-Trigger-Pad?sku=449921 and hook it up to the pedal 1 or pedal 2 ports in the back then just use my twin Iron Cobras? If anyone can answer this I'll love them forever (no promises).

As far as i can tell, the DD-65 accepts normal pad input so you should be able to use something like that perfectly fine. alternatively you could get something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518909-REG/Yamaha_DK65_DK_65_Hardware_Kit_for.html and have a hi-hat pedal as well (it also has stands & a throne, which is cool).

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Roland TR-707

It's sample-based but it sounds snappy and punchy as hell. It's used on a lot of records, for example, MSTRKRFT's first album. It really sounds good even though the sounds are not editable.

Boss DR-220E

Another drum machine. I bought this one for the 80s sounding toms and drums. The bassdrum and the snare sound like toms, but more punchy.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

I own a DD-55 and successfully use a KD-8 with it. You're golden.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

You guys with aluminum necks might think it's awesome to have a metal guitar neck and everything, but the first time you have to play outside when it's really cold, you're going to realize why they stopped making guitars and basses with aluminum necks, as you try to peel your hands off the instrument after the first set and realize you'll be leaving most of your palm on the neck.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

You guys with aluminum necks might think it's awesome to have a metal guitar neck and everything, but the first time you have to play outside when it's really cold, you're going to realize why they stopped making guitars and basses with aluminum necks, as you try to peel your hands off the instrument after the first set and realize you'll be leaving most of your palm on the neck.

If your aluminum guitar neck is getting that cold, you're definitely not rocking out hard enough.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would be outside for a rock concert when it's cold enough that your skin freezes to metal. And even if that DID happen, it seems those individuals are drawn to pain anyway so that wouldn't matter.

Also playing with your palm touching the neck is bad technique, I don't give a poo poo if it was good enough for Hendrix it still pisses me off. :colbert:

...wow that was mean :(

Edit: I think aluminum necks are pretty :psyduck:, too.

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 15, 2009

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Just got the Kontrol 1 yesterday. So far, it's a great little unit for $250. Awesome AD/DAC, 2in/4out for Traktor DJing, MIDI, three prgrammable buttons and a large jog wheel. Love it so far.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

:eek:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

warwick5s posted:

That's loving hot.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

scuz posted:

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would be outside for a rock concert when it's cold enough that your skin freezes to metal. And even if that DID happen, it seems those individuals are drawn to pain anyway so that wouldn't matter.

Also playing with your palm touching the neck is bad technique, I don't give a poo poo if it was good enough for Hendrix it still pisses me off. :colbert:

...wow that was mean :(

Edit: I think aluminum necks are pretty :psyduck:, too.

Not hurting my feelings, my technique is fine. But there are plenty of sausage-grip folks around, some of whom probably own or are thinking about owning aluminum-construction guitars. I remember reading about a specific incident with some big touring act back in the '70s when aluminum necks were first coming out as a cool new thing, the problem as I recall was not that the guitarist wasn't rocking hard enough but rather that the guitar had sat on the stage for a sufficiently long time to get bone-chillingly cold. I wouldn't want to be in that situation. Some manufacturers even made aluminum-wood hybrid necks to try to mitigate the problem, as well as get a traditional "feel" but with all the advantages of aluminum. And then everyone figured out there aren't any advantages to aluminum and went back to making guitar necks out of wood and sometimes graphite.

Not trying to crap on the alumineck, I've said before that it looks sexy as hell with that guitar you've got it in, and the Liquid Metal guitars announced at NAMM look rad too, but it doesn't seem to be super practical unless you're drat sure you're always going to be in a comfortably warm environment.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 15, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

And then everyone figured out there aren't any advantages to aluminum and went back to making guitar necks out of wood and sometimes graphite.

I think most people get them for the ridiculous sustain and the bright sound?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

:argh: STAMBAUGH!!! :argh:

also please explain all the nobs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I was mostly being snarky but talking about "sustain" at that level of generality is pretty useless, I've played bolt-ons that would sustain while you go make a sandwich and still be sounding when you get done eating it, and I've played set neck guitars that were pretty dead on the whole. Sustain has to do with a hell of a lot of factors beyond what the neck is made of. You're not guaranteeing anything in that regard by using an aluminum neck. As far as a bright tone, can't argue with that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

:argh: STAMBAUGH!!! :argh:

also please explain all the nobs.

I don't know for sure yet, this thing is like 10 degrees right now so I'm letting it warm up, and I have no amp in my office. It should be mag volume, piezo volume, passive tone, treble mid bass, with the switch for coil tap on the pickup. I gave Chris a lot more leeway on this one so that's why I'm not so sure.

Ghost piezo bridge saddles, Nordstrand dual coil, Aguilar OBP3, and a Bart piezo buffer. gently caress. Yes.