Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Does that disable the sniper button too?!?!

Nope, you can configure that independently. The software for Logitech mice is pretty flexible.

I set my DPI buttons to profile rotate since I actually use a couple of profiles but never change DPI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
You can re-bind every button on the G502 except the scroll-wheel mode, and with on-board profile you don't need to keep LGS running (or even installed) if you don't want to.

And with W10 finally adding an Expose-like feature (even if I can't remember the actual name of it), having a 3rd thumb button is now a mandatory feature for me on every computer I use.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Speaking of g502 button configurations: anybody know how to get games (specifically Fallout:NV) to recognize scroll wheel left/right buttons?

Also how to turn off what feels like mouse acceleration?

vvv thanks gurglin blood vvv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 18, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There's a setting right in the config to disable acceleration. Wheel Left/Right is not a very commonly recognized input by games, you can map them to keys on your keyboard and then just bind those keys in game.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Khorne posted:

It tracks fine on the QCK surface itself, but it really was annoying having to clean it when I don't eat at my computer or anything.

Use a lint roller.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Anyone here manage to get their hands on a Finalmouse?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
The G502 is currently a flash deal on UK Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IGS9LU8?ref_=gb1h_img_c-3_8907_abf607f9&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Khagan posted:

Anyone here manage to get their hands on a Finalmouse?

I've used it. If you find the shape comfortable (I did) it's quite nice. Super light weight, which I loved. The main buttons felt a bit... less-solid than I'd like? They didn't necessarily feel cheap, but not what I expected. While I found it comfy, it also felt wide in the fingers compared to my beloved FK.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
Has anyone used a "ergonomic" vertical mouse like this one? They look pretty wacky. I'm looking for something really comfortable for work - I'm on a comp all day.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Got a CST L-Trac a while back for work. I liked it so much that I'm grabbing another one, to try and learn the fine art of sniping bitches with a fist full of balls. This one has a glowing blue ball for HOT NIGHTTIME ACTION. Don't worry, it powers off after 5 seconds of inactivity :clint:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 26, 2015

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Does anyone make hard mouse pads anymore? I have a SteelSeries 9HD which I love now but I would love to have something larger. Seems like everything being made now, ever by SteelSeries are soft fabric pads which I have never liked.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Djarum posted:

Does anyone make hard mouse pads anymore? I have a SteelSeries 9HD which I love now but I would love to have something larger. Seems like everything being made now, ever by SteelSeries are soft fabric pads which I have never liked.

I just bought a G502 and I also ordered Logitech's hard pad to replace my very old and worn SteelSeries 9HD. So, I'll report back when they both arrive.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

chippy posted:

I just bought a G502 and I also ordered Logitech's hard pad to replace my very old and worn SteelSeries 9HD. So, I'll report back when they both arrive.

Cool, although it looks like the Logitech pad is about the same size. I'd like something about 2x larger than the 9HD.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Djarum posted:

Cool, although it looks like the Logitech pad is about the same size. I'd like something about 2x larger than the 9HD.

Oh, ok. I don't think I've seen any hard pads that are that kind of size.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Yeah, the shipping costs would be prohibitive and no store would actually let us put it on their shelves if it were bigger. As it is, the G440 normally gets relegated to lying flat on the bottom shelf.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm actually strangely excited to be finally replacing my trusty G5. I might actually play some FPS when it comes tomorrow.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

It's here! :neckbeard:

Upside: doesn't give you carpal tunnel, because you're not manipulating your fingers while grabbing with your hand, like a thumb trackball. Downside, it only has 3 buttons and the middlemouse and scroll aren't that comfy.

Note: you do need a wrist rest for this to be remotely comfortable.

It has a pair of 2.5mm mono jacks for another pair of buttons. I need to figure out if anyone actually sells external buttons, because I can't imagine anything I make will be very ergonomic

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 27, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Djarum posted:

You could always just go to Home Depot and get them to cut you a piece of aluminum sheet in pretty much whatever size you want.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Goo posted:

Yeah, the shipping costs would be prohibitive and no store would actually let us put it on their shelves if it were bigger. As it is, the G440 normally gets relegated to lying flat on the bottom shelf.

I figured it would be a niche product in general I just figured someone would have something for professionals on sale online only at least. About 95% of the time my 9HD is fine it is just that 5% of the time normally when I am working on a project that the extra mouse area would come in handy.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I read the last few pages of the thread. General consensus seems to be that the Logitech G502 is a good choice? I've had a G5 for forever; used a Razer Lachesis for about 3 years then went back to the G5 because the Lach was having unrepairable issues. It's getting time for a replacement though and I'm looking at the G502 among some others.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's here! :neckbeard:

Upside: doesn't give you carpal tunnel, because you're not manipulating your fingers while grabbing with your hand, like a thumb trackball. Downside, it only has 3 buttons and the middlemouse and scroll aren't that comfy.

Note: you do need a wrist rest for this to be remotely comfortable.

It has a pair of 2.5mm mono jacks for another pair of buttons. I need to figure out if anyone actually sells external buttons, because I can't imagine anything I make will be very ergonomic

Between you and I, we can start an owner's club!

I haven't found anyone who sells external switches, unfortunately. I was working with someone on making a 3D printed button set, but they moved and haven't been able to set up their 3D printer again.

You can use Velcro and Legos to make a switch housing, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ambaire posted:

I read the last few pages of the thread. General consensus seems to be that the Logitech G502 is a good choice? I've had a G5 for forever; used a Razer Lachesis for about 3 years then went back to the G5 because the Lach was having unrepairable issues. It's getting time for a replacement though and I'm looking at the G502 among some others.

It's like a very refined G5, so you probably would like it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Between you and I, we can start an owner's club!

I haven't found anyone who sells external switches, unfortunately. I was working with someone on making a 3D printed button set, but they moved and haven't been able to set up their 3D printer again.

You can use Velcro and Legos to make a switch housing, though.

I haven't either.

Apart from the lack of external switches, I'm 100% satisfied. I found it very acceptable for office use right from the start. It takes a while to get used to the hand-forward posture and I still don't think the middle-mouse or mousewheel is all that ergonomic in this design. I have to reach my middle finger forward, which involves taking my hand off the ball, and I dislike that. But, that's a pretty minor thing and overall it's an extremely precise trackball that I think will have less chance of giving me carpal tunnel than my Microsoft Trackball Optical. It takes a couple weeks of practice to get used to using the pads of your middle three fingers instead of your thumb, but overall I really like it.

I do agree that the scrollwheel is absolutely fantastic despite its lack of stops. You can be either very precise or just spin the gently caress out of it and it behaves exactly like you want.

I'm going to be waiting until I get a wrist-rest to use my glow-ball unit for gaming, for that use I expect it'll need a little break-in. But I used it for office stuff this afternoon and I found it perfectly fine for that stuff, like my first unit.

I've never used a lubricant - what do you use on these? I have light machine oil and sewing machine oil (p. much the same stuff), as well as some less promising stuff (chain lube, penetrating oil, etc). I absolutely do not want the ball to become slick.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 27, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paul MaudDib posted:

I haven't either.

Apart from the lack of external switches, I'm 100% satisfied. I found it very acceptable for office use right from the start. It takes a while to get used to the hand-forward posture and I still don't think the middle-mouse or mousewheel is all that ergonomic in this design. I have to reach my middle finger forward, which involves taking my hand off the ball, and I dislike that. But, that's a pretty minor thing and overall it's an extremely precise trackball that I think will have less chance of giving me carpal tunnel than my Microsoft Trackball Optical. It takes a couple weeks of practice to get used to using the pads of your middle three fingers instead of your thumb, but overall I really like it.

I do agree that the scrollwheel is absolutely fantastic despite its lack of stops. You can be either very precise or just spin the gently caress out of it and it behaves exactly like you want.

I'm going to be waiting until I get a wrist-rest to use my glow-ball unit for gaming, for that use I expect it'll need a little break-in. But I used it for office stuff this afternoon and I found it perfectly fine for that stuff, like my first unit.

I've never used a lubricant - what do you use on these? I have light machine oil and sewing machine oil (p. much the same stuff), as well as some less promising stuff (chain lube, penetrating oil, etc). I absolutely do not want the ball to become slick.

The scroll wheel is fantastic, I agree, but it is a bit unergonomic. They should've figured out a scroll ring around the ball, I think. Still, this design makes it easily user serviceable, and it seems like the unit's going to last a lifetime.

The best lube is either a very thin coating of light machine oil (smear some on with a paper towel, getting it nearly dry, like you're seasoning cast iron) or sebum. That is, rub it on your face.

As I've used mine over the past couple of months or however long I've had it, I have noticed that the ball has become smoother. I'd like something heavier to put in, though, and I might replace the admittedly ultra-heavy-duty ball bearings with ruby bearings or something.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

I'm actually strangely excited to be finally replacing my trusty G5. I might actually play some FPS when it comes tomorrow.

I'm not sure about the G440. It's really rough, which also makes it very noisy.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Wow, the sensor on the G502 is phenomemal, though. Amazing stuff. The cord is a bit draggy. What do people generally do about that, other than one of those bunjee things?

I like the fact that the sensor tuning page had a preset for the G440, and it did actually noticeable improve the tracking when I activated it.

I found the blue G a bit garish initially and went looking for the options to turn it off, but when I found them I ended up putting it on breathing instead. What is wrong with me.

This really is a noisy mouse mate though. If feels like it's going to have worn the feet off the mouse in a couple of weeks.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I wrap my mouse cord around one of my speakers. Some people use tape or a rock or something. It depends a lot on how clean or cluttered your desk space is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

chippy posted:

I found the blue G a bit garish initially and went looking for the options to turn it off, but when I found them I ended up putting it on breathing instead. What is wrong with me.
Even goons aren't immune from mouse bling. :getin:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
My Logitech G500 is succumbing to the mouse double-clicks when you click once issue. Now there apparently is a way to fix that, if you disassemble your mouse and carefully re-bend a tiny spring inside a tiny switch, and I will attempt to repair it, but in case I just end up breaking it, what's a good WIRED gaming mouse (at least 5 buttons)?

I've seen a Reflex RGM-1000 and an Alienware TactX at my local computer shop, but I don't know if they're any good (and I'm suspecting they are not).

Any reason to NOT pick up a Logitech G502?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 28, 2015

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My Logitech G500 is succumbing to the mouse double-clicks when you click once issue. Now there apparently is a way to fix that, if you disassemble your mouse and carefully re-bend a tiny spring inside a tiny switch, and I will attempt to repair it, but in case I just end up breaking it, what's a good WIRED gaming mouse (at least 5 buttons)?

I've seen a Reflex RGM-1000 and an Alienware TactX at my local computer shop, but I don't know if they're any good (and I'm suspecting they are not).

Any reason to NOT pick up a Logitech G502?

If you like your G500 then I would definitely say get the G502. The sensor in this thing is sick. It's a worthy successor to my G5 and I'll happily buy the G5000012 in 2025.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The only reason I wouldn't recommend the G502 to someone is if they have a real problem with heavier mice, cause it's fairly heavy.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
For reference, my G502 feels a bit heavier than my G5, both with all the weights in. I didn't actually notice the difference until I compared them just now.

e: Just removed a couple and I think it's a bit nicer actually, bit less friction from the mousepad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Logitech G502 is like the GeForce 970 of mice right now. For 90% of gaming enthusiasts, it's a blind buy.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have fixed double clicks in a G700 at least a dozen times, and I have never really found it necessary to actually rebend the spring part - just sort of poking it and make sure the contact surfaces are clean has usually done the job, scraping around on them a bit with another piece of metal has done it the other times. If the button has become mushy and no longer makes a nice, definitive click sound (or is on its way there), then it's probably worthwhile doing this, but otherwise, simply taking it apart and touching it might fix the issue? Might be better to try bending afterwards, since it might generate false positives, and trying to bend it, while still relatively safe, could put a crease in it that, well, wouldn't be good.

I have however pinged the thing out by accident more than once, and completely lost it on one occasion - had to replace it with one from another similar microswitch that I had to modify to fit (different brand, involved filing off a metal nodule). I've also had to replace the little white plastic part of the switch - recreated one with a scalpel from a piece of similarly thick plastic because I lost that on some other occasion. Also I lost some springs that were in it that made the middle click rebound better and I had to fashion new ones out of wire. Also one of the tilt switches broke way early on and I fixed that too - pretty sure there are some lolly pop sticks holding a lower profile button up to function as a replacement. Many of my peripherals are sort of bizarre zombies on the inside, nowerdays.

So, good luck, and I hope you're able to fix your mouse.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mastigophoran posted:

I have fixed double clicks in a G700 at least a dozen times, and I have never really found it necessary to actually rebend the spring part - just sort of poking it and make sure the contact surfaces are clean has usually done the job, scraping around on them a bit with another piece of metal has done it the other times. If the button has become mushy and no longer makes a nice, definitive click sound (or is on its way there), then it's probably worthwhile doing this, but otherwise, simply taking it apart and touching it might fix the issue? Might be better to try bending afterwards, since it might generate false positives, and trying to bend it, while still relatively safe, could put a crease in it that, well, wouldn't be good.

I have however pinged the thing out by accident more than once, and completely lost it on one occasion - had to replace it with one from another similar microswitch that I had to modify to fit (different brand, involved filing off a metal nodule). I've also had to replace the little white plastic part of the switch - recreated one with a scalpel from a piece of similarly thick plastic because I lost that on some other occasion. Also I lost some springs that were in it that made the middle click rebound better and I had to fashion new ones out of wire. Also one of the tilt switches broke way early on and I fixed that too - pretty sure there are some lolly pop sticks holding a lower profile button up to function as a replacement. Many of my peripherals are sort of bizarre zombies on the inside, nowerdays.

So, good luck, and I hope you're able to fix your mouse.

Thanks for the tips. My mouse does still make a definitive click sound, so it seems like your method might work. But I am still concerned about pieces getting lost. I'll try and work in a way that minimizes those chances.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Due to limited desk space, for as long as I can remember I have used a trackball mouse - specifically the Logitech TrackMan Wheel. It's still working as I would like but clicks are getting a little "crunchy" and sometimes it sounds like the next click may be its last!

Looking around online I see the best like for like replacement would perhaps be the Logitech M570 but it's wireless and expensive. Wireless isn't a deal breaker, but costing more because of it is.

Anything else out there worth looking at? I have been using the TrackMan for so long I am used to using my thumb on the trackball and would prefer wired.

I am in the UK which seems to limit things to either Logitech or Kensington. I had a Kensington Expert Trackball for about 3 months once but it broke it that time and I just tossed it. Is there anything else worth looking at?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Dead Goon posted:

Looking around online I see the best like for like replacement would perhaps be the Logitech M570 but it's wireless and expensive. Wireless isn't a deal breaker, but costing more because of it is.

My husband bought an M570, he picked it up from amazon as a 'non uk' model, and paid slightly less for it as a result, I think that version is still on amazon here? They were a little cheaper a while back, he paid £27.50 apparently. Possibly the price is more to do with age/scarcity than it is the wireless - this is sort of the trackball curse, as I'm sure you've noticed if you've looked up what a direct replacement would cost. I'm not currently aware of any other thumb trackballs except for a microsoft one from quite a long time ago, but most of what I know comes from having read the M570 review on http://www.trackballmouse.org/. I'm not sure that just-over-30-pound price is once you've seen and considered too much, or if you're balking at the £45-50 prices I've seen around. Also, the battery in it really does last a long time.

If the problem is the clicking action on your old trackball, it may be very possible to repair it - either with new microswitches, or by cleaning out any debris in the moving plastic parts that might be making the action feel crunchier than it might actually be. Best part is, you don't have to worry too much about mangling the feet a bit to get at screws since it's a trackball. It looks relatively straight forward to swap out the microswitches if you have to do that, or uh, well, I'm also in the UK?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Djarum posted:

Bestbuy still sells a rocketfish metal pad in stores

breaks
May 12, 2001

It's not a hard pad but the Razer Goliathus pads come in large sizes and I find them almost like a hard pad with a cloth top. It's not, but the base is a pretty dense rubber or something without much give to it. Also sewn up around the sizes so it doesn't fray and whatnot. Best thing Razer makes I think. Might be worth a look if you can't find a large enough hard pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I've been using a mionix naos for a few years. I really like the feel of it with the extra space for ring and pinkie finger placement, but I would like a few more buttons. I just picked up a g502 and while I like the customizations like weight and the software, I don't like the lack of extra finger space.

Is there a mouse that would have a mix of both? The current mionix mice don't have any extra buttons and I have not found anything from other manufacturers.