Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Aha. So my problem is 1: the Lydian pattern's missing a note, and 2: my assumption that each mode should have a different fingering pattern is incorrect.

fookolt posted:

3) what are the common patterns in traversing the fretboard in different intervals

This would be incredibly useful for me, and is actually what I'm trying to learn here in a very roundabout way. I figured I could learn each shape, play up and down them as I need, and transition from one to the other when I need more room. Of course that means I need to know how to transition efficiently, which so far I don't...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hydrolith posted:

Aha. So my problem is 1: the Lydian pattern's missing a note, and 2: my assumption that each mode should have a different fingering pattern is incorrect.

This would be incredibly useful for me, and is actually what I'm trying to learn here in a very roundabout way. I figured I could learn each shape, play up and down them as I need, and transition from one to the other when I need more room. Of course that means I need to know how to transition efficiently, which so far I don't...

Well, it depends on your style of playing (and how much you can stretch your fretting fingers). Some folks really like legato (hammer-ons and pull-offs), so they'll probably try to do as few notes per string as possible so they don't have to worry about volume dying down with the added notes. The same goes for people with less stretchy fingers; you'll want to keep hopping strings in order to go up and down scales.

For me, because I really love alternate picking and going a perfect fourth isn't an issue, my way to approach patterns on the fretboard is to maximize the efficiency of both the fretting hand and picking hand by picking lines that use 3 notes per string and trying to stay on the same string (or same two strings) as much as possible.

So a really common warm up for me is something like this:

Here is my not very good rendition of that: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1k9rbMlBSgC

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
That's helpful. Thanks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hydrolith posted:

No they do each have a unique fingering pattern, each mode is a unique sequence of intervals which is what makes a Lydian a Lydian and so on. I think what's confusing you is that the collection of modes you're looking at (C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian etc) all share the same notes in different sequences, so you're always looking at the same notes on the fretboard, and when you come to pick a useful 4- or 5-fret box it'll be useful for more than one mode because of all the notes it covers. The actual pattern you play is different, but it might only be by starting one note earlier in the available C major scale notes.

That's why I don't think this is a super helpful approach, personally. This is all technically true, and it's handy to know as another way of looking at things, but ideally you want to know the pattern for F# mixolydian without having to back-translate to the relevant major key, find the relevant scale pattern, then mentally position yourself the correct number of steps into that sequence. It's way more useful to know the pattern on its own, and especially to know that mixolydian is a major scale with a minor 7th, so you just play the 7th a fret lower. And if this is something you only want to do for a brief moment in a song, it's way better to just knowingly shift a few notes instead of doing all those mental gymnastics.

And I say this as someone who did the exact same 'whoa modes, and you can just play a major scale starting on another note!' thing. It kinda sucks in practice!

Have a look at studybass.com, there are sections on intervals and how to find them on the fretboard. It's a really handy resource in general - it applies to guitar, except the cursed B string of course

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hydrolith posted:

I agree with fookolt that practicing "modes" in the sense of scale diagrams or whatever kind of charts like that actually slows down your development of free fretboard movement. It strongly encourages you to memorize these massive six-string patterns that look a bit random but really aren't.

If you aren't already familiar with the most basic theory stuff like how to build chords and scales, really take the modest amount of time to get that down, just the material you might expect from the first few weeks of Music Theory 101. It's easy to learn in a short time. Once you understand how the basic scales are constructed, work through many, many fingerings yourself. Play the whole scale on one string starting with your index finger, then starting with your middle finger, then ring, then pinky, then a two string pattern starting with each finger, then three strings. What if you skip to the next string after the second note, third, fourth? Don't just focus on what seems most efficient, just play slowly, keep track of where in the scale you are, watch out for patterns and how they move around the fretboard, and try as much stuff as possible.

What I'm probably doing a bad job of getting at is that this is mental practice a lot more than physical technique practice. Once you have built up a good model of how to get around then you can worry about committing the most efficient positions and techniques for moving between them to muscle memory.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Hm. This is really hard to explain, and I've had about ten goes at writing this post.

I tend to think in terms of patterns, and where I am relative to the root note, rather than what the notes are actually called. I know the pentatonic shapes fairly well, and tend to think of where I am on the pattern. I rely on my ear very heavily, as well as muscle memory. Like... I know theoretically how a major scale is constructed, if I stop to think about what a piano keyboard looks like, but I don't think about where I am on the scale in terms of where I am on that keyboard, I think about it in terms of where I am on the fretboard, within a certain pattern. At least, that's what I've been doing with the major pattern I know, and with the pentatonic patterns.

Like... I almost never think about what the notes are called, but I do think about where I am relative to where I started/just was/the root note/etc. It's hard to explain.

I guess what I'm trying to do here is learn patterns up and down the string, then patterns across the strings to join them together efficiently.

When you say to play up the scale on one string and keep track of where I am in the scale, do you mean keep track in relative terms or absolute terms? At the moment, I'm more likely to think "I'm on the 7th note of the octave I'm playing in" than "I'm playing an A". I hardly ever think of where I am in terms of what the note is called. Like, is the idea "I'm playing an A and I know the next one is a B and it's over here"? So far I've been mostly working with "I know the next one is over here" and leaving it at that.

[edit]Eg, I'd be likely to drill those mode patterns till my hand falls off, then take that pattern fookolt posted, drill it till my hand falls off, and use it to transition between the mode patterns.[/edit]

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Should I take a gamble on the fretwork of a XV-890 from GFS or pick up a mockingbird ST with a case for 445? It be for B standard tuning so fretwork on the shittier side of mediocre is fine. I got an offer on ebay for the bird so I'm personally debating on spending the money.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Francostein posted:

Should I take a gamble on the fretwork of a XV-890 from GFS or pick up a mockingbird ST with a case for 445? It be for B standard tuning so fretwork on the shittier side of mediocre is fine. I got an offer on ebay for the bird so I'm personally debating on spending the money.

Never seen an XV, but I hear middling reviews about them. My GC has several of those BC Rich's and they're really really nice and that's a killer price for one with case.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Egh gently caress it that deal's too good to pass up, I'm getting it. GAS is a loving killer, looks like I'm going to work some overtime in July.

Edit; funny thing, I kept thinking the guitars pictures all had dents in them and then I realized that's actually from when I dropped a screwdriver onto my work laptop this morning while messing around with PLC relays.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 28, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know about that specific mockingbird but most of the midrange BC Riches I've played have been pretty cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I played an acrylic one loving years ago and it was really cool to my thirteen year old brain. Here's the link to it by the way;

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200937862190

I also post on my phone at work and don't feel like emailing myself a link so hopefully that works.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Pretty cool guitar. Has the shitton of switches and knobs that I always like to see on BC Riches.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I can't wait to turn all those knobs and flip all those switches.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is what I was talking about earlier

http://www.studybass.com/lessons/intervals/basic-intervals/

It shows you where intervals are relative to the root note, so for instance the 5th is on the next higher string, two frets up, or two strings up and three frets back (B string caveats apply). If you know the intervals which make up the major scale, you can construct your own fretboard pattern from any starting point. You can also do this with modes, because you know that (say) for the Lydian mode, it's a major scale with the 4th raised a semitone (augmented 4th). So instead of playing the note directly above the root (the perfect 4th), you play the note one fret higher (the augmented 4th). It can be as simple as learning those small changes to the major scale.

Another way to look at it (and it's good to understand things from as many angles as possible) is from note to note, instead of everything relative to your root starting point. The major scale goes W W S W W W S (whole tones and semitones), which means from each note in the scale you move either a whole tone (2 frets) or a semitone (1 fret) to get to the next note. Lydian goes W W W S W W S - instead of moving a semitone from the major 3rd to the perfect 4th, the 4th is raised so you have to do a whole tone hop. Now you're right next to the 5th, so it's a semitone jump instead of the usual whole tone one from the P4.

That might sound complicated at first but it really isn't, it's just understanding the characteristic jumps that give each mode its special flavour. Try running your major scale up and down, then do it with the 4th raised to get the lydian instead. You should hear how that one note moved out of place changes the feel, especially if you're playing over a chord progression so you can hear how it sits on top of it. The pentatonic patterns are similar - they're major or minor scales with some notes removed completely. You can look at the natural minor scale (aeolian mode) as a major scale with the 3rd, 6th and 7th dropped a semitone. These are really helpful patterns to know.

Knowing your box patterns for different modes might be useful for speed and general 'whatever I hit will fit' noodling, but I think it's more helpful to understand what notes they involve, at least as intervals relative to whatever root note you're on. Patterns are good for practice and muscle memory, but you'll probably have a way easier and more productive time of it understanding what you're doing before you start learning shortcuts. It's easy to get lost and that's when things get bad

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also in case anyone gives a poo poo I've been browsing eBay all week and found some killer deals, here's a bitching priced charvel with a case that's going to end in ten minutes.

http://bit.ly/15Oe3sd

Looks to me like an amazing deal if you can beat the snipers.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That price it went for is insane. I might've bid on it if I hadn't just bought a guitar.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

That price it went for is insane. I might've bid on it if I hadn't just bought a guitar.

Me too ahahaha. But in case any lurkers or regulars have mockingbird envy there's another bird I was looking at, same model but red (also with case) for four hundred.

http://bit.ly/12rPR0X

Ends in two days but my bet is that it's not going up very much from that price. Also that MIJ Jackson Kelly back from a while ago got relocated at the same price and there's a few decently priced PRS Santana's that I saw today but I think they might have a few people already looking at them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Aw man that one's got the chicken head rotary too. My favorite thing to shop around for is B stocks right now. I got this Jazzmastery thing at 200 dollars off for a finish flaw I can't even see or will care about? Sure, sign me up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's awesome dude, those guitars play really nicely. B-stock is great for stuff like amps where it's going to get dinged and nicked anyway from apathetically shoving into the trunk of your 96 tercel.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That rule follows for my guitars too. Ever since I got my Ibanez off of ebay all those years ago, smelling of a decade of concentrated cigarette smoke and diabetic sweat, i have been following a road of destruction.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

That rule follows for my guitars too. Ever since I got my Ibanez off of ebay all those years ago, smelling of a decade of concentrated cigarette smoke and diabetic sweat, i have been following a road of destruction.

I bought my Epiphone from a guy who rolled his own cigarettes. I know that smell all too well. :3:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I usually buy new but my first guitar was an 80s SG baked in weed, hate, and bar smoke thanks to my crazy uncle. It's beat to hell, smells weird, and plays great. Everyone should own a properly used and abused guitar.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Progress.

Mmm baby, that's shiny. Still have some fine polishing to do, though.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Memorizing scale diagrams cold is very challenging, it requires a lot of written work and practice, and just a lot of time and thought.

I will echo what a poster above said about learning your intervals, this is much easier and more intuitive. Figure out how to use intervals to build the major and natural minor scale, and then which scale degrees are changed in the major scale to get each mode. This process should take about 2 minths to fully integrate. Start with the interval ear trainer at musictheory.net, then figure out how to build the major and minor scale BY EAR at various locations around the guitar neck.

This method is powerful because then you are not restricted at all by fretboard patterns, you can soley use your ears to determine first which note next you want to hit (in your head) and then know all of the available options on the fretboard, based on the previous note you played, where that next note lies. Because if you can hear (in your head) the interval between the current note and your target note, it's quite simple to memorize the interval relationships between notes on the guitar neck. For example, the common power chord shape is a perfect fifth. If you can hear, in your head, that the next note you want to hit is a perfect fifth away from the one your finger is currently on, then you should know exactly where to hit it.

I t is quite nice to not have to worry about any theory or memorization of fretboard patterns, and simply play over any progression or modulation all by ear. It is totally liberating and allows free movement around the fretboard, and your improv will sound less scalar and more creative (after a long time practicing, of course).

Another unintended benefit is the ability to write music solely from your head, without any reference to an instrument. Because these same concepts of using intervals also apply to other instruments.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 29, 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
To be honest once you memorize five shapes you know all the modes if you can super-impose them anywhere onto the neck.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

Aw man that one's got the chicken head rotary too. My favorite thing to shop around for is B stocks right now. I got this Jazzmastery thing at 200 dollars off for a finish flaw I can't even see or will care about? Sure, sign me up.

Well now I'm 400 dollars in the hole because I decided I needed a Jazzmastery thing with mini humbuckers

I imagine when I die my family will light all of my guitars on fire like a funeral pyre

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hahaha cool. I'll let you know how I like it when I get mine.

edit: The good news is if I want to gently caress around with the pickups, GFS has a slew of minibuckers.

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012
I keep my acoustic guitar tuned 1.5 steps down from standard (C# F# B E G# C#), and I have had it set up to play in this tuning. I recently changed the strings, and the G# string is buzzing when it is depressed on several different frets (1-3). The G# string is a 0.43 MM gauge, and I am not sure if this is lighter than the gauge I changed it from (I don't remember).

Would accidentally reducing string gauge cause it to buzz? If so, what gauge of string should I use? I am considering buying a new pack of strings and just replacing the G# with a heavier gauge.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For the past week or two, how's the weather been where you live?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Progress.

Mmm baby, that's shiny. Still have some fine polishing to do, though.

Purty!

Francostein posted:

To be honest once you memorize five shapes you know all the modes if you can super-impose them anywhere onto the neck.

When I was 17 and first learning guitar, that's how I learned it. And it works, although it locks you into a particular position to get the key/mode you want, and it doesn't give you any sense of note progressions.

Now that I'm picking the guitar up again, I'm liking coolbian's approach more. Also, I've been finding that Music Discipline site pretty useful -- the exercises approach scales from a lot of different angles, and are big on learning the whole fretboard.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

So I was playing a friend's baritone acoustic today and I really dug it, but the cheapest one I could find was around $350. I was wondering if it might be cheaper to just modify an acoustic I already have laying around, to set it up for B standard? If so, besides widening the nut, what mods would I have to make?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pretty much that's it. Just heavier strings and a setup with that one mod and you're good to go.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Speaking of nuts, do y'all have any favorite kinds or even care at all? I remember really really really liking Earvana nuts when I had guitars with them.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

muike posted:

Speaking of nuts, do y'all have any favorite kinds or even care at all? I remember really really really liking Earvana nuts when I had guitars with them.

Graphtec for me

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, poo poo. I was just changed my electroacoustic strings, and I noticed a hairline crack between the pegholes.

It kinda looks like this, but on mine the crack is barely noticeable:

How worried should I be?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

muike posted:

I make bone nuts for the ones I build. I buy the bone at petsmart and cut it into blanks, then shape from there.
I do all the cutting outside on a bandsaw and wear a mask the whole time, bone is smelly.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Ivory is pretty much the best material, but good luck finding it. You won't.

Bone or synthetic bone is probably the best place to start.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

jwh posted:

Bone or synthetic bone is probably the best place to start.

You're actually not allowed to have it in your possession if I'm remembering right (unless it's in an instrument already).

Bone sounds the best to me but TUSQ, Graphtec, and Earvana are all great as well. Anything but cheap plastic.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

jwh posted:

You don't want to find it either, ivory laws are complex and harsh.

That being said, I just found this :wtf:
http://www.guitarpartsandmore.com/?nav=products&cat=1&sub=4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, poo poo. I was just changed my electroacoustic strings, and I noticed a hairline crack between the pegholes.

It kinda looks like this, but on mine the crack is barely noticeable:

How worried should I be?

Might wanna take it to someone to get it reinforced. :(