Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Pash posted:

From what I hear it basically says nothing and is from like Page 8 of the book.
Pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Quote from Miranda:

quote:

Pat Rothfuss’ Kingkiller books are among the most read and re-read in our home. It’s a world you want to spend lifetimes in, as his many fans will attest. Pat also writes about the act of making music more beautifully than any novelist I’ve ever read. I can’t wait to play a part in bringing this world to life onscreen.

Welp guess we're all wrong about Rothfuss' music writing, let's pack it up FinerArtAilures.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

jivjov posted:

I hope this finally puts to rest the whining that Book 3 isn't being worked on, if nothing else.

Nope. Remember, the whole trilogy was already complete 9.5 years ago, so this could be one of those pages that just had to be polished up a bit.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ulmont posted:

Nope. Remember, the whole trilogy was already complete 9.5 years ago, so this could be one of those pages that just had to be polished up a bit.

This could just be a screenshot of that, look at those Word icons; that's about five generations old at this point.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ornamented Death posted:

This could just be a screenshot of that, look at those Word icons; that's about five generations old at this point.

Rothfuss still using Word 2002 (Office XP) today wouldn't surprise me much, but you're right that it's a very old version.

EDIT: Yes, as of 2011 Rothfuss was still using Word 97.
https://bookbanter.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/an-interview-with-patrick-rothfuss-march-2011/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

To be fair to Rothfuss, GRRM writes on a computer older than most of the posters in this thread.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
gently caress the screenshot of the page, does someone have the tirade he went on when it was revealed? I want to see that super bad, it reinforces the negative things I already think about him.

Also, Lin, buddy, you had a good thing going. Is this how you want to spoil it?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I was about to complain about the use of modern idioms in fantasy, but it turns out that "burning the candle at both ends" is over 300 years old.

So now I'm just going to complain about the use of idioms that feel modern to my own arbitrary perspective.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

To be fair to Rothfuss, GRRM writes on a computer older than most of the posters in this thread.

GRRM could have a new computer and still be running DOS on it. Some vendors will even ship you a new computer with FreeDOS preinstalled.

http://www.dell.com/content/learnmo...recommendations

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was about to complain about the use of modern idioms in fantasy, but it turns out that "burning the candle at both ends" is over 300 years old.

So now I'm just going to complain about the use of idioms that feel modern to my own arbitrary perspective.

Considering that candles haven't been the major form of light for quite some time, I would have been surprised if "burning the candle at both ends" was much younger than 300 years old.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Hello friends, please enjoy these articles about the sexism throughout Rothfuss' books. Some of these are even written by people who are otherwise fans of his prose for some godforsaken reason.

The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss and institutional sexism is a pretty detailed takedown of institutional sexism within the text, and focuses on how Felurian and Marie are depicted in the text.

Sexism in the Wise Man's Fear Part 1 talks about the Adem, while Part 2 talks about Felurian.

Rothfuss Reread: Speculative Summary 19: Each Woman Is Like An Instrument is a mini-series discussing the role of women in the books. The first (linked to here) focuses on the lack of women in the frame story and discusses what this implies.

We even have a starter analysis from someone who is self-described as "wary of feminist issues" but who still noticed sexism throughout the text.

Let's not forget all the delightful things Rothfuss himself has said, what they imply about his attitude, and how these attitudes have likely influenced his work whether he realizes it or not.

I am still waiting on jivjov's analysis in defense of Rothfuss' depictions of women, which he insists are good and positive, which I note he has not posted yet. Perhaps he will respond to these observations from other critics in his analysis.

Reene fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 30, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Reene posted:

I am still waiting on jivjov's analysis in defense of Rothfuss' depictions of women, which he insists are good and positive, which I note he has not posted yet. Perhaps he will respond to these observations from other critics in his analysis.

I truthfully have not launched my re-read yet. Working retail around the holidays has not left me with much time for leisure reading or other pursuits. Note that my Japanese cinema thread over in CineD has also languished for months.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
If the girl who wrote that one article spelled the word aroused correctly it would be much easier to take her complaints seriously. Especially since several of them are legitimate.

Oh well.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well Miranda will make the music better. And maybe he'll weed out some of the institutionalized sexism, or the female characters will seems more developed in the hands of experienced female actors.

I'm optimistic, as long as Rothfuss doesn't become the kind of executive producer that storms on set and demands that his vision be met at all costs. But he's probably not assertive enough to do something like that, even if he wanted to.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Interesting. I guess you can do what you want when you're getting a percentage of all Hamilton ticket sales. Maybe Lin can get the Rock to be Ambrose (which would make him the best character and protagonist).

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I can't get over his misspelling of permanent in that posted image for some reason. Also Kvothe speaking indulgently to Bast and then the physical description of, "his face was the same pale as the rest of him, but his eyes were the same bright green as always, and his voice was utterly unchanged." just makes me cringe.

I met a girl at work conference who adored Rothfuss so much I almost pointed her to this thread out of spite but it seemed like it meant a lot to her so I held my tongue.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Reene posted:

Hello friends, please enjoy these articles about the sexism throughout Rothfuss' books. Some of these are even written by people who are otherwise fans of his prose for some godforsaken reason.

"So onto The Wise Man's fear and why I turned it off, put it down and will not be continuing to read it despite loving Rothfuss' use of language, incredible world construction and based around a magical premise very appealing to a storyteller. "

Lol when people try to express literary criticism through cliches of nerd-dom and social justice discourse.

jivjov posted:

Note that my Japanese cinema thread over in CineD has also languished for months.

To be honest, your reviews there are poo poo. Every single one is just the blandest, most boring crap. So not writing would be a point in your favour too.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 30, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It should be noted that just because someone is talented that doesn't mean they are able to recognize talent or quality in other works. People with talent are just as capable of having bad taste as anyone else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

I truthfully have not launched my re-read yet. Working retail around the holidays has not left me with much time for leisure reading or other pursuits. Note that my Japanese cinema thread over in CineD has also languished for months.

Just stop. You've proudly talked about reading the same 2 books over a dozen times. Can you not even read one of the examples BOTL has posted? There are tons of examples in this thread of other genre writers who's works are good/great/decent and don't have the same pacing and sexism problems that Rothfuss does.

For example, the Locke Lamora series is a pretty quick read given there are only 3 books out, and the first book works pretty well as a nice low fantasy anti-hero story. Joe Abercrombie has probably written more in one year then Rothfuss has written in 5 and The First Law trilogy is a good example of a classic fantasy done different and compelling.

I don't even know why you post in this thread. No one agrees with you, you cannot even coherently answer any of the questions posed to you by BOTL, you're openly dismissive of any constructive critique of the books and the writing specifically and you seem to lack the ability to even think about the book and the text beyond "oh well I like it so everything you say is wrong"

I really enjoyed the books when I read them mostly because I didn't think about them critically. Once you do, or if you approach it in context of having a varied literary experience, it does not hold up well and has so many "my fav OC is perfect" fanfic-esque moments it's kind of shocking its as popular as it is. Even reading WMF for the first time I skipped over all the fairy sex scenes, thought the sex ninja village was loving stupid, and was weirded out by the whole saving the village girls who were sex slaves then banging them right away.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Atlas Hugged posted:

It should be noted that just because someone is talented that doesn't mean they are able to recognize talent or quality in other works. People with talent are just as capable of having bad taste as anyone else.

Maybe Hamilton is also overrated.

jivjov posted:

What is the German word for the perfect troll that is actually real.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Weltschwanz.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

To be honest, your reviews there are poo poo. Every single one is just the blandest, most boring crap. So not writing would be a point in your favour too.

You're perfectly free not to read my reviews if you find them distasteful. That won't hurt my feelings one bit.

pentyne posted:

Just stop. You've proudly talked about reading the same 2 books over a dozen times. Can you not even read one of the examples BOTL has posted? There are tons of examples in this thread of other genre writers who's works are good/great/decent and don't have the same pacing and sexism problems that Rothfuss does.

For example, the Locke Lamora series is a pretty quick read given there are only 3 books out, and the first book works pretty well as a nice low fantasy anti-hero story. Joe Abercrombie has probably written more in one year then Rothfuss has written in 5 and The First Law trilogy is a good example of a classic fantasy done different and compelling.

I don't even know why you post in this thread. No one agrees with you, you cannot even coherently answer any of the questions posed to you by BOTL, you're openly dismissive of any constructive critique of the books and the writing specifically and you seem to lack the ability to even think about the book and the text beyond "oh well I like it so everything you say is wrong"

I really enjoyed the books when I read them mostly because I didn't think about them critically. Once you do, or if you approach it in context of having a varied literary experience, it does not hold up well and has so many "my fav OC is perfect" fanfic-esque moments it's kind of shocking its as popular as it is. Even reading WMF for the first time I skipped over all the fairy sex scenes, thought the sex ninja village was loving stupid, and was weirded out by the whole saving the village girls who were sex slaves then banging them right away.

Sorry that my reading schedule hasn't met with your approval. I forgot that my decisions are subject to the approval of Forums Poster pentyne.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen someone so unwilling to talk about a piece of fiction in a thread dedicated to that piece of fiction.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm just baffled that someone who claims to have read and re-read the series several times cannot offer a single cogent argument or even a vague citation to support the position that Rothfuss is good at writing women or that the text has feminist merit, and insists instead that they need to re-read the entire series all over again to even begin talking about it with any detail.

Maybe it's because one doesn't exist. :ssh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Reene posted:

I'm just baffled that someone who claims to have read and re-read the series several times cannot offer a single cogent argument or even a vague citation to support the position that Rothfuss is good at writing women or that the text has feminist merit, and insists instead that they need to re-read the entire series all over again to even begin talking about it with any detail.

Maybe it's because one doesn't exist. :ssh:

If I'm gonna do up a detailed post analysis, I'd rather do it in chronological order and with direct quotations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting to doubt you've even read the books when you can't make the slightest allusion to their content and make some conclusions out of that. Not to mention how you're incapable of answering any question or argument someone might have.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 30, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm starting to doubt you've even read the books when you can't make the slightest allusion to their content and make some conclusions out of that. Not to mention how you're incapable of answering any question or argument someone might have.

I've talked about the content of the books many times.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Reene posted:

The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss and institutional sexism is a pretty detailed takedown of institutional sexism within the text, and focuses on how Felurian and Marie are depicted in the text.

Sexism in the Wise Man's Fear Part 1 talks about the Adem, while Part 2 talks about Felurian.

Rothfuss Reread: Speculative Summary 19: Each Woman Is Like An Instrument is a mini-series discussing the role of women in the books. The first (linked to here) focuses on the lack of women in the frame story and discusses what this implies.

We even have a starter analysis from someone who is self-described as "wary of feminist issues" but who still noticed sexism throughout the text.

Let's not forget all the delightful things Rothfuss himself has said, what they imply about his attitude, and how these attitudes have likely influenced his work whether he realizes it or not.

Holy balls, the comments in some of those links. So many idiotic "I disagree with everything you said but I'm not going to elaborate because your perspective is ill-conceived and thought out." may as well say "Your views are loving trash you dumb feminist bitch!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I've talked about the content of the books many times.

Most of your posts are whining about how mean everyone is. Everything you've said about Kingkiller can be gleaned off from wikis, read-throughs, or this thread. You've never shown any understanding of the books, their content, themes, etc that should be the result of reading them ten times.

In contrast, I only had to read The Name of the Wind twice. Once to know what it was, and a second time for this thread.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 30, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ccs posted:

I'm optimistic, as long as Rothfuss doesn't become the kind of executive producer that storms on set and demands that his vision be met at all costs. But he's probably not assertive enough to do something like that, even if he wanted to.

IIRC this is basically what he does with his 'proofreaders' so don't hold your breath.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Holy balls, the comments in some of those links. So many idiotic "I disagree with everything you said but I'm not going to elaborate because your perspective is ill-conceived and thought out." may as well say "Your views are loving trash you dumb feminist bitch!"

For those that skimmed the links: Rothfuss published a calendar of "sexy, not smutty" pin-up girls based on classical literature http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/11/the-new-coolness-or-how-i-accidentally-published-a-calendar/

It's somehow even worse than those "cut out words from a book into the shape of a pretty picture to show how deep I am" posters.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jimbot posted:

People sharing their contrasting opinions and saying why they think so is anti feminist now?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

Sorry that my reading schedule hasn't met with your approval. I forgot that my decisions are subject to the approval of Forums Poster pentyne.

This is like the second or third time you use this exact same response to completely ignore and dismiss actual questions and comments you can't/won't answer. For all your praise and love for the books you've read 10+ times you literally cannot come back at any probing, substantive questions about the books and your reading habits with anything other then passive aggressive sarcasm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
At least jivjov isn't one of those goons who spent thousands on Star Citizen. Silver linings! :yayclod:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For those that skimmed the links: Rothfuss published a calendar of "sexy, not smutty" pin-up girls based on classical literature http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/11/the-new-coolness-or-how-i-accidentally-published-a-calendar/

It's somehow even worse than those "cut out words from a book into the shape of a pretty picture to show how deep I am" posters.

Good effin' lord it's somehow even worse when you know where they're from. I just figured it was of specific characters from a bunch of fantasy works or something. :gonk:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 30, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I don't have any comment about the sexism in the series although I see it now that it's been pointed out. I just finally got back into reading for the first time since my son was born 2 years ago, and I picked up this thread after not looking at it since may 2013 and the first unread post was "any news on book 3?"

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

jivjov posted:

If I'm gonna do up a detailed post analysis, I'd rather do it in chronological order and with direct quotations.

That would be amazing. Please do this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don't have any comment about the sexism in the series although I see it now that it's been pointed out. I just finally got back into reading for the first time since my son was born 2 years ago, and I picked up this thread after not looking at it since may 2013 and the first unread post was "any news on book 3?"

Did you read the leaked page from 3? Basically Bast it's going to get Kvothe a Tylenol.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Number Ten Cocks posted:

No idea. I listened to a song on YouTube and turned it off because I didn't like it but I just assumed that was on me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It is, but only because it's massively overhyped. It's still good. (Well, at least the music is. I haven't actually seen it, because I am a peasant.) It's like how I think Final Fantasy VII is both very good and overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just made a tidy profit selling my Rothfuss books, so until that money is spent, he's A-OK in my book.

• Locked thread