Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Please tell me where to see this, this is like my dream after working in TV for 15 years - to actually work on something that's a labor of love with close friends/collaborators. You're living it so I wanna see the result for vicarious reasons!

It's a Roku network. You should be able to find it by searching Chimera Network. So far we just have a test show up. Should start having content at the beginning of actual summer. There's the show with me and the guys, and a Women of Wubs show coming out too. We're trying really hard to model after MTV in the 90's, before it got mucked up by reality show crap. And there's supposed to be a festival somewhere in WA late summer but that's TBD because we have absolutely no idea wtf is going on with that.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good (second) date. I may not be as bad at this stuff as I constantly convince myself I am.

Also, for the past year and a half I put in the work in therapy and I really really worked at it and I'm finally seeing results and feeling like myself again and becoming an active participant in my own life. It took me a year to figure out my brain, and a half a year to figure out what to do with that, but I genuinely feel like I'm on a path with a positive future and I can't explain how much of a relief that is after all the things I convinced myself of since covid began.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Congrats on a good second date! Dating sucks and can be a pain in the rear end, so I'm glad it's going well for you!

Well Chimera Network just went live. I don't even own a Roku but hey, my art is up there and my friends are DJing on TV! I suppose I should be more excited, I guess I'll see where this goes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was at the local coffee joint waiting for my coffee when a woman walking her dog came in. After she ordered she passed by me and her dog gave me a long look, so I reached out my hand for it to sniff.

Instead of sniffing it came and sat down at my feet, like it was my dog. The woman said "looks like you made a new friend" and I couldn't help smiling. What a good dog.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Got a verbal offer for the job I really wanted after several rounds of interviews, just needs to go through some formalities before I sign and can put in notice at my current mess of a job. Have been a wreck all week worrying about it. Can't believe I'm finally going to be back in a sector of the industry I can feel really passionate about after taking my current "a gig's a gig" job when I had to find something new at the beginning of the pandemic. Still feeling the nerves a bit too much to be excited about it, per se, but grabbing dinner with a friend soon to try and get in the celebration mindset.

Dick Trauma posted:

I was at the local coffee joint waiting for my coffee when a woman walking her dog came in. After she ordered she passed by me and her dog gave me a long look, so I reached out my hand for it to sniff.

Instead of sniffing it came and sat down at my feet, like it was my dog. The woman said "looks like you made a new friend" and I couldn't help smiling. What a good dog.

:3:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m finally starting a new job I’m pretty excited about next week after several nightmare-inducing stressful months of interviews and applications a million different places, and my new job title is going to open a lot of doors in the future if I ever need to go through the same thing. Plus I had a really great roller derby scrimmage tonight where I successfully shut down some of the league’s best jammers despite the practice space pushing 100 degrees, and the new Coheed and Cambria album that was pushed back from May finally came out and it roccckkkkks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mom had acute kidney failure a few weeks ago, a creatinine level of 7 (it's supposed to be 1.1 or so), and had to be taken to the ER. After being admitted and recovering for a week, while the nurses were literally prepping her to be discharged that day, she had a grand mal seizure, the first seizure she had ever had, and for two days straight didn't recognize me. since then has been improving and finally could remember where she was after a week, and is mostly back to normal now. They transferred her from the hospital to rehab in a nursing home until she's considered safe to stay at home. Today we got permission for her to come home for a few hours before she has to go back. She started crying when she got to sit down with our dog Noa, who absolutely bathed her in kisses. We were going to try to do a few things, but I'm going to let her just nap in her bed for now until she has to go back. I'm so happy she's gotten back to almost normal after everything that's gone down. Hopefully in the next 4-5 days she can improve her physical state enough to be able to return home.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
In case that seizure decides to stick around and become a regular thing, here is a handy list of potential seizure triggers
https://www.epilepsy.com/what-is-epilepsy/seizure-triggers
bottom line: figure out the triggers and structure the hell out of your life so they don't get the chance to occur.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's from scar tissue from brain surgery she had in 2000, resurfacing over 20 years later. She's currently on anti seizure meds but they think the only reason it happened at all was due to her system being so compromised from the kidney failure.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A friend organized a marathon of Twitch DJs to raise money for Planned Parenthood and they just crossed $23,000 with another 12 hours to go; I’m insanely proud of her and the community she has built.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hell yeah!

My husband and his dad went to a few yard sales and found the coolest old vinyl records. Some are those thick 100+ year old ones. We're now the proud owners of some really neat vintage music and even have a couple from the Ink Spots! They're so happy going through their haul. It's been a very rough couple of weeks for everyone and this is just awesome.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This is actually from a few days ago, but I, uh. I guess I have a girlfriend now. :blush: I've been single for the better part of a decade. Wish me luck.

E: also due to covid loving up things everywhere for everyone, the company pushed back EoL-ing my current cochlear implant processor model for another year or two. That was nice of them.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Jul 3, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is actually from a few days ago, but I, uh. I guess I have a girlfriend now. :blush: I've been single for the better part of a decade. Wish me luck.

:3:

Love is wonderful—good luck!

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I built this incredibly rickety shelf thing to keep the rain off my succulents. I have also learned a large number of things not to do when designing and building with wood.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

-Zydeco- posted:

I built this incredibly rickety shelf thing to keep the rain off my succulents. I have also learned a large number of things not to do when designing and building with wood.

Turned out pretty good!

And yeah, I feel that. I built a catio, and now I know how to make another one (not that I'm planning on it) so much better.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

-Zydeco- posted:

Nice work! Woodworking is great and I'm so happy wood prices have gone from utter insanity to just a little bit crazy. Built a new garden box and some trellace for the zuccs a few weekends ago!

Use cotton string and at the end of the season just cut it off with the biomass and compost the whole thing! :eng101:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Nice work! Woodworking is great and I'm so happy wood prices have gone from utter insanity to just a little bit crazy. Built a new garden box and some trellace for the zuccs a few weekends ago!

Use cotton string and at the end of the season just cut it off with the biomass and compost the whole thing! :eng101:

Ohh, clever!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m extremely close to the point of earning enough income where my wife can step down to a part time job or even not work at all

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finally got around to starting to read Wuthering Heights and it's actually really funny and relatable at first. Really helping my mood after a long and crap couple of weeks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I took my blood pressure monitor to the doctor's today for an appointment about my blood pressure being high.

I put it on when I was there, 143/92. bad.

they then took my blood pressure with their machine after a little bit. 117 over 79. perfect.

later on before I left, we did the same. same result.

so basically, I've been really worried about my high blood pressure and nothing I've been doing has improved it, because...my home blood pressure monitor is a piece of poo poo that doesn't actually work. so I'm happy about that, but also, gently caress this piece of garbage for causing me so much stress on top of everything else

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's marvellous news. I always have high blood pressure at the doctors because I freak out about having high blood pressure, and being at the doctors makes me even more stressed.

So your resting BP is probably even lower, since you were super worrying about it at the time they tested it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean I've not really been super worrying about it, just "if I take this to the doctor and they match, I go on pills". despite both my parents being in the hospital(mom with kidney failure, then a grand mal seizure, then a second trip to the hospital right after because of MRSA, dad fell off a ladder and broke 13 ribs and shattered his scapula) I've been feeling pretty chipper and de-stressed all things considered. lately I've been very "whatever happens, happens". so my blood pressure being really high seemed super weird. I also tested one of those wrist cuff bp testers and boy, I was apparently about to die because it said my bp was 180/135. which it very much was not

I guess I have to find a reputable bp tester, or maybe see if I can get a second hand doctor's office one as a last resort.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Jul 11, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I got a cute picture of my dog completely forgetting how a bed works.

Minor awesome, but it made me laugh.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pookah posted:

That's marvellous news. I always have high blood pressure at the doctors because I freak out about having high blood pressure, and being at the doctors makes me even more stressed.

So your resting BP is probably even lower, since you were super worrying about it at the time they tested it!

When one gets anxious about having their arm tightly squeezed by that cuff and having to feel their heart beating in their arm, does that register as higher blood pressure? That poo poo freaks me out and I'm always worried I'm skewing the results

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I got a cute picture of my dog completely forgetting how a bed works.

Minor awesome, but it made me laugh.

Excellent dog and pic. Reminds me of this funny tweet:

https://twitter.com/americanwombat/status/1537664808111288321?t=NIFYVhS3jjMI-CcPpRdlDw&s=19

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

When one gets anxious about having their arm tightly squeezed by that cuff and having to feel their heart beating in their arm, does that register as higher blood pressure? That poo poo freaks me out and I'm always worried I'm skewing the results

Probably, yeah - they call it White Coat Syndrome/Hypertension

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have someone new in my life who is very special, and we're really connecting very quickly on a deep level and finding healthy and joyful ways to support each other where we are on our journeys at the moment. It's been a very long time since I've had someone like this in my life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My dad isn't dead and is, in fact, alive!!!!!

I was calling him all day to no response and nobody I spoke to had heard from him in a few days. so I drove up to his place, prepared to either find him drunk in his chair with headphones on watching a movie and his phone buried under a pillow on his bed or otherwise forgotten somewhere, or dead at the bottom of the flight of stairs in his place because he has horrible balance issues and falls all the time (such as a few weeks ago when he fell off a ladder and broke 13 ribs and shattered his scapula)

Turns out it was the former! Yay!!!!!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
September 28, 2021: hospitalized with DKA and an A1C of 13.8 after years of refusing to take my diabetes truly seriously (woo severe depression/anxiety), put on insulin since oral meds were not working (mostly because they wrecked my gut and my doctors never listened, just pushed more oral meds on me which depressed me and I am an emotional eater and THE CYCLE NEVER STOPS)

Today: blood tests drawn - cholesterol and triglycerides down to normal, liver and kidneys working perfectly, and A1C is 6.5

granted I have diabetic amyotrophy from dropping it that fast (massive metabolic change meant that the nerves in my left leg stopped working, causing all my muscles to atrophy and put me out of work for six months due to being unable to walk) and I am still recovering but I am now at about 40-50% recovery and looking at a measured return to work.

This year has been hell but finally my diabetes is controlled and I feel so much better for it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

gently caress YEAH.
Well done on facing a tough reality and getting poo poo done. Seriously, I know how hard it is to deal with that train coming down the tracks that you can 100% see but are too drained to address.
You got yourself up and got stuff done even though it was exhausting.
That's a major major achievement.
I give you 1 (one) dinner plate sized medal for holding poo poo together when it was incredibly hard.

(Nah, you get 2 (two) bigass medals :3:)

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Aww... thank you :3:

It's been an absolutely terrible year - but after my stint in the ICU where I actually just felt fine despite my body shutting down, I came out like "eh, whatever" and my husband very gently pointed out HEY YOU COULD HAVE DIED DUMBASS and a coworker reminded me that her brother died from DKA and...

I know it sounds hokey as gently caress, but I was off for a couple days after being released from the hospital, and I was feeling fine so I went for a walk down to the river walking path and stood on the observation dock; it was October, sunny, and autumn-warm, leaves were falling gently and everything was just a goddamn postcard as a couple geese swam past and in those few moments of just standing still...

... after like thirty years of suicidal ideation and attempts, I just... decided I wanted to live. Not merely survive like I'd been doing, but live.

And while there are absolutely poo poo days where I wish I could just give up, I can't find it in me anymore - there's not this dark hand gripped around my chest anymore, trying to pull me down and away with all those thoughts. They come, but they don't have the power they used to. I can let them run through me, and out of me.

I'm not "cured" from depression, and I probably never will be, but I feel like I have a better foothold on this mountain we're all climbing.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That is marvellous, I am so so happy for you :kimchi:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the sky opened up while I was digging up potatoes in my neighbor's garden. it hasn't rained here in weeks, every storm has managed to dodge out of the way of hitting my town every single time. the potatoes we dug up often had big splits in them, from growing big and then drying out and splitting open, then healing up again. then five minutes after I ran inside soaking wet, it stopped again, then dried up and the sun came out. I thought that was all we were going to get.

but as of a half hour ago, it's been straight dumpin' rain so hard that you can't see six feet from the back step, and forget hearing anything but the sound of rain pounding on everything. my lawn is already basically entirely dead by this point but maybe this will help something regrow and bring the water table back to a reasonable level.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's so lovely 😊

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not a great picture, but this is why my day was great yesterday:

Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) and Andrew Bird playing a duet in an apple orchard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
had to take some painkillers due to some throbbing pain, so excuse me if this is a bit stream-of-consciousness:

I made this a few days ago and the leftovers have lasted me until today and it's still delicious:

Captain Invictus posted:

went picking with my neighbor in their robust garden; digging up potatoes, picking wax and romano beans off the vine, plucking cherry tomatoes, etc. went back home, washed and chopped everything up, cut up some chicken, threw it all in a pot with some egg noodles, threw in a whole bunch of spices, soy sauce, etc, let it cook and then sit on medium heat for a good long while, and boy is it ever good. most of the potatoes were small red and white potatoes not even worth cutting up, just washed'em and chucked'em in.

thinking that with my overly-large yard I may just offer some of it to my neighbor if they want to grow other stuff. they've got a lot of variety in their garden(like their potato row has 16 potato plants in it, romano bean row has 6 plants in it, etc) but they've largely run out of room for more stuff to grow. dunno if they even want to though, they've got quite a lot already.

I installed this air conditioner that was highly recommended and holy poo poo, it's far and away better than any AC I've ever had. Like, with my old AC, I had to have two fans going to circulate the air, and also it would trip the circuit sometimes, clearly on the cusp of flipping the breaker from overloading. This new one, apparently it's like $40 in electricity for the entire summer, holy poo poo. it's great, and the whole room is cool, and it's loving SILENT. the little fan I have by my bed is louder than the air conditioner is. it's a perfect AC, it is 100% worth splurging for.

I got both that and this blender, and they're both lifechangers. my old one served me well, got it for 10 bucks from a local rummage sale, and it's a model from the 1960s or so, but it was finally failing so I had to get a new one. This one is just amazing, it liquifies everything, it's zero effort to clean and it's just perfect. Got it and the above air conditioner for about $600 together, which is not bad at all, I'll get a huge amount of use out of both.

I've been helping mom recover from multiple horrible incidents in and out of the hospital. The wound on her toe, which is dangerous because she's diabetic and things can quickly escalate to amputation from even a simple popped blister, is slooowwwwwwly recovering, but with some new antibiotic ointment it should help a ton. she had to use a walker for a bit after getting home from the hospital, but has since graduated to a cane and even on her own sometimes. She's also lost a lot of weight, which is a good thing in this case, normally it's not great to lose so much weight so quickly, but she's dropped like 20 pounds since first being hospitalized, and it's imo helped her in getting around a lot not having all that attached to her.

while I've been out of work taking care of her and doing pretty much everything for her while she's been recovering, we've been doing a lot of cleaning. something definitely changed since her hospitalization, when the doctor was basically like "this is probably your last chance." in regards to her being hospitalized and it flipped a switch, at least a bit. she's always been a bit of a hoarder, it wasn't too bad when we were kids, but when she got divorced and then had her identity stolen and a brain tumor, she started keeping tons of things, and it only got worse when my sister was murdered. when my stepdad died suddenly last november and his kids were going to dumpster everything in his house and sell it shortly after he died, we took everything salvageable to our house to go through over time, to keep, to donate, to save family mementos if we found any, that sort of thing. She didn't want to get rid of a lot of his stuff, but has decided to only keep really important stuff. We went through the majority of things early this year, donating 50 garbage bags full of clothing(42 of "good" clothes, 8 of "scrap" that can be sold as "cloth by the pound" by the shelter) and a ton of furniture, toys, dishware and utensils, appliances, etc. But that still left a living room full of bins, boxes, etc of stuff to go through, which severely impaired cleaning elsewhere in the house.

Since she got home from the hospital, we've gotten rid of two more van-fulls of donations, and as of two weeks ago, we started really going through one of the rooms that's been just piled full of boxes besides where the washer and dryer are. In the corner behind a stack of boxes were two filing cabinets full of god knows what paperwork from decades ago that she kept for records purposes, but also a bunch of other random bullshit, books, magazines, photos, etc lined up in there. We sat down in the blistering heat wave that's hit the area for the last month or so and just knuckled down and went through the paperwork and everything, one by one. Receipts from when she ran a daycare in the 90s/oughts, financial records from goddamn BAYBANK and FLEETBANK, tons of old poo poo. We filled 4 recycle bins full of ancient records like those, lovely old books(I made sure she recycled every single "declutter your life!" book she had acquired over the years), tons of misc paper-based stuff. In the end, we managed to take 6 filing cabinet drawers full of stuff, and condense it down to about 3/4 of a single drawer. We're making our way through the rest of the room, and it honestly feels so god drat good to do this and have mom actually agree to get rid of stuff. It takes a LOT of effort, and a LOT of time, but the amount of progress we've been able to make is significant. We're right on the cusp of being able to truly clean everything up. Now that mom is getting closer to how she was pre-June, I'll have to return to work soon, but I'm hoping we'll be able to get a bunch more stuff done before then.

Really, the one last thing I need done is getting tooth implants done, and after having a consultation with a pair of specialists, I found getting 11 teeth replaced would be somewhere around 30-40 thousand dollars OUT OF POCKET, so I've got a consultation with a dental school that might be able to do it for half that. And if so, I'll take steps to get that money and get it done, because I want to be done with my teeth. They've been a scourge all my life, and part of the reason I'm zooted on painkillers right now is one of them throbbing in pain, so gently caress all these molar bastards, I'm getting them replaced with ceramics!

I'm feelin' great lately! Dropped my meds down to just the absolute barest minimum of one anxiety med and dropped the antidepressant entirely, and I am doing much better than before, not having the awful side effects of antidepressants is a HUGE relief for me. sorry for the rambly post, I just let my mind go!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I got handed additional responsibilities with no increase in pay until early next year.

gently caress yeah.

It's awesome because its easy for me and its important. Important to not warrant more pay sure, but at least I'm doing it. Cause I'm awesome.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For unknown reasons, almost a year after I stopped working there and months after they remembered to take it away the first time, my employee discount at the grocery store I used to work at and still shop at reactivated itself. I fully expect it to disappear at random again, but until then just gonna quietly make use of it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

For unknown reasons, almost a year after I stopped working there and months after they remembered to take it away the first time, my employee discount at the grocery store I used to work at and still shop at reactivated itself. I fully expect it to disappear at random again, but until then just gonna quietly make use of it.

Congratulations on your new job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
In the middle of an extended heatwave, my AC stopped turning on in 102 degree weather at 4:30 on a Friday. I called my AC guy fully expecting to be stuck until at least next week sometime, only to find out that he was walking out to his truck having just finished a job three blocks away from me. He was here in 5 minutes, had it fixed in another 10, and now I don't have to try and wrangle three cats into a hotel so that's pretty awesome.