Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

JHomer722 posted:

Thanks! Luckily, I'm in a city (Boston) that has a lot of good options. I'm familiar with a few of the gyms (Wai Kru, Redline, and Sityodtong), but if any New England goons have recommendations I'd love to hear them. I have a wrestling background and some limited no-gi experience, which I enjoyed. Still haven't tried gi yet, though.

I think Redline has the most no-gi based curriculum but there's a slew of options here and you should probably take location and commute into mind when checking places out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Although I now just remembered Redline lost the coach they had last time I visited there.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I think gi is more fun but that's just my opinion.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Gi slows everything down a lot. I like it. Feel like no-gi is more aerobic, though not that much I guess.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
My first few years of training were all gi only, but my last few have been almost exclusively nogi. I really like nogi because it's harder for people to restrain you completely, and I like the increased challenge of trying to catch opponents by surprise with a clean choke when you don't have access to all those extra handles along the lapel. The downside for me is in standup, where I have more trouble getting deep enough for throws and don't get to work the fancy 'throw straight into a locked sub' routine much.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

I think gi is more fun but that's just my opinion.

Hell yeah.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JHomer722 posted:

Thanks! Luckily, I'm in a city (Boston) that has a lot of good options. I'm familiar with a few of the gyms (Wai Kru, Redline, and Sityodtong), but if any New England goons have recommendations I'd love to hear them. I have a wrestling background and some limited no-gi experience, which I enjoyed. Still haven't tried gi yet, though.

Joe Lauzon and Gonzaga are both Goon Approved [TM] but if you're in a city where you have a lot of options you should try a bunch of intro classes at a bunch of places and see what seems to be the best place for you.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Any Brit goons know of any half-way decent Jujitsu schools in Kent? Although I'm stuck working 5 evenings a week (and college on the 6th) I kind of want to get back into martial arts after a year and a bit of Judo, I'm fully prepared to suck at it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Any Brit goons know of any half-way decent Jujitsu schools in Kent? Although I'm stuck working 5 evenings a week (and college on the 6th) I kind of want to get back into martial arts after a year and a bit of Judo, I'm fully prepared to suck at it

http://bjjkent.co.uk/ looks pretty good.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

LobsterMobster posted:

Pretty sure that's what I have available to me :/

Are you actually in Alabama? If so, where? Jits has spread pretty well here.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

cptInsane0 posted:

Are you actually in Alabama? If so, where? Jits has spread pretty well here.

I'm in Opelika. I know there's Auburn MMA, I just haven't gotten around to checking them out

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

I'm in Opelika. I know there's Auburn MMA, I just haven't gotten around to checking them out

I think that's the dude I was thinking of.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 14, 2017

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I just go to whatever classes fit better with my work schedule, personally, although I only compete no-gi because my judo blows and gently caress the IBJJF.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, this thread is four loving years old. Someone make a new OP.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I just go to whatever classes fit better with my work schedule, personally, although I only compete no-gi because my judo blows and gently caress the IBJJF.

Do sambo :getin:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I actually wouldn't mind jumping into a couple of those once I'm no longer loving crippled, but this year is going one step at a time. I think I owe Steve dinner anyway.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

JHomer722 posted:

Is no-gi training considered a supplement to traditional bjj, or is it possible to focus on no-gi exclusively? And if so, would anyone recommend going that route?

I hate the gi. It's a rope sitting around my neck. I don't use it ever. I wore it until I got a blue belt so people could shut the gently caress up about me not having any rank. Now I'm the "oh, you're THAT guy" blue belt who's been blue for 5 years and doesn't care to advance rank as long as I get to roll around with sweaty people in non-pajamas.

Dumb quesion, do you guys do chokes at Steve's? I remember someone saying there weren't chokes in Sambo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I hate the gi. It's a rope sitting around my neck. I don't use it ever. I wore it until I got a blue belt so people could shut the gently caress up about me not having any rank. Now I'm the "oh, you're THAT guy" blue belt who's been blue for 5 years and doesn't care to advance rank as long as I get to roll around with sweaty people in non-pajamas.

Dumb quesion, do you guys do chokes at Steve's? I remember someone saying there weren't chokes in Sambo.

There's "Sports Sambo" which has a suprisingly restrictive ruleset (no twisting leglocks and no chokes) and is rarely practiced today outside of Russia (or even in Russia, as far as I'm aware). There's also Freestyle Sambo which is what you mostly see in ASA tourneys, and basically allows everything. Then there's Combat Sambo, which is the poo poo you see Fedor doing with the big glove striking and points for throws and knockdowns. I think Steve technically calls his school "Combat Sambo" but he trains everything, chokes an' all

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

fatherdog posted:

There's "Sports Sambo" which has a suprisingly restrictive ruleset (no twisting leglocks and no chokes) and is rarely practiced today outside of Russia (or even in Russia, as far as I'm aware). There's also Freestyle Sambo which is what you mostly see in ASA tourneys, and basically allows everything. Then there's Combat Sambo, which is the poo poo you see Fedor doing with the big glove striking and points for throws and knockdowns. I think Steve technically calls his school "Combat Sambo" but he trains everything, chokes an' all

Cool. I still need to drop in at Steve's. I used to train in the same gym he rented in like 2008 with the yellow rear end mats. But I'm very broke and just finished my 10'x10' matspace at home. Some of you guys should come kick my rear end sometime.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yeah, I mean, we train all grappling styles anyway, but the ASA "freestyle sambo" ruleset also allows chokes. If we're training for a specific event that has FIAS sport sambo rules, then we'll use that ruleset during sparring in the lead up to the event, but there aren't any subs that we don't do as a general rule.

Interestingly enough, chokes are actually allowed in combat sambo (the one that looks like MMA with a jacket).

fatherdog posted:

Honestly, almost any sambo tournament you do anywhere in the world will be using the FIAS rules with very little groundwork time, no chokes, no twisting leglocks, etc. "Sport sambo" is just a term to distinguish it from combat sambo (the sport) and sambo the combatives sytem that the army learns -- also sometimes called combat sambo. The ASA is very very small and we don't run many events, so even a lot of sambo tournaments in the US don't use freestyle sambo rules.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 14, 2015

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Can someone explain the combat Sambo scoring system?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dangersim posted:

Can someone explain the combat Sambo scoring system?

http://sambo.com/rules -- scroll down to Part 6.

Basically you win right away if you get a sub or knockout, if you're up by 12 points or more at any time, or if you get a 'total victory' throw (throwing the opponent to his back while remaining standing). Knockdowns are scored like throws, so if you punch a guy in the face and he falls on his back while you remain standing, you win.

4 points for throwing someone on their back and falling with them, throwing them to their side while remaining standing, or for a non-total victory knockdown.
4 points for a 20 second pin (pins count even from inside someone's full guard).

2 points for throwing a guy to his stomach or butt while remaining standing, throwing them to their side and falling with them, and for a pin that's longer than 10 seconds, but shorter than 20 seconds.

1 point for throwing a guy to his stomach or butt and falling with them, or for putting a guy on his hands or knees onto his side, like when you stuff a shot and turn it into a position.

So, the strikes don't really score points if you don't knock your opponent down with them. While knockouts happen often enough, the philosophical focus is more on how your strikes can set up your takedowns -- that's why a lot of combat sambo guys transition well to MMA. It's more holistic than learning, say, judo and muay thai separately.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've often opined that in a purely theoretical sense Combat Sambo and San Shou are among the best preparations for full mma, since they focus a lot on the transition between striking and grappling which is one of the major areas starting fighters tend to be deficient in. Unfortunately they're still pretty niche in terms of competition, which means there isn't enough of a pool of athletes training in them for them to be a major factor in the sport. Enjoyable as it would be to see Marvin Perry side-kicking fools.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fatherdog posted:

Also, this thread is four loving years old. Someone make a new OP.

Please have cortXbomb do it

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

fatherdog posted:

I've often opined that in a purely theoretical sense Combat Sambo and San Shou are among the best preparations for full mma

Huh, for some reason I thought San Shou was more of a less practical TMA and written it off. Maybe it was just everyone making fun of Cung Le.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Please have cortXbomb do it

I'm way too into minimalism and delabeling the martial arts.

"Grappling is for grapplers"

There, that's it.

Although if it was a paid gig I would get into the history of grappling and destroy minds.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Depending on where you live and how far you can travel http://www.crawleymartialartsacademy.com/index.php?page=bjj. Trained with the head bjj instructor there who won the European Championship at brown belt twice.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Although if it was a paid gig I would get into the history of grappling and destroy minds.

I'd support a Kickstarter

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I still post here. I can edit things in or out if no one wants to make the effort of creating a new thread.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I still post here. I can edit things in or out if no one wants to make the effort of creating a new thread.

I think a new one might be best, if you're up for it or someone else is.

Things I'd like to see -

• Most of the current OP, which is pretty good
  • A list of the major amateur tournaments for BJJ, no gi, Sambo, wrestling, etc, and if possible how and when to compete and watch
  • Explanation of ADCC, Metamoris and the other pro grappling shows that have begun popping up, along with some representative video links and maybe some previews for the next ones

This thread is partially for people who grapple to talk and for people who want to get into grappling to get help, and I think it's been pretty good for that, but it's also for people who like to or want to watch high level grappling (admittedly there's a lot of crossover between the two groups) and I'd like to see some more focus and resources for the latter in the OP.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Xguard86 posted:

A shiny new thread does sound like a good idea.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I can C/P the current OP + Additions to a new thread. I've got about an hour for my next meeting and kinda just waiting for emailing so I'll start writing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

oh and for simplicity, I am going to post the drafts here and then start the new thread when we (and by we I mean Fatherdog) think its good.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

First, I present a basic rundown of grappling styles and a short description of their history. Thanks to dokomoy, whom I shamelessly stole this from, with some small edits and additions.

Second, An explanation of how to watch grappling online
Grappling 101

quote:

KingColliwog posted:
Grappling is the heterosexual art of hugging big muscular dudes while furiously moving your hips around until the opponent can no longer take it. It is sometime done with a pajama on, sometime in form fitting synthetic clothing. So you need to learn how to move your hips furiously if you want to stand a chance

Grappling is a group of sports and/or martial arts focused on controlling your opponent using(depending on the rules) a combination of throws, pins, chokes, and joint locks. Grappling has existed probably since Ug figured out he could break Zug's arm to take all his wooly mammoth pelts.

The formal history of grappling, like all martial arts, is fairly obscure. The earliest discovered record of a codified, holistic approach to grappling can be found in India, with documents from China and Japan closely following. Virtually every culture in the world has some form of wrestling, often passed through oral tradition in societies without written records. Deciphering who taught what to whom and where things were invented is a quagmire and, frankly, I don't think you care if Macedon imported the armbar from The Mughals 3000 years ago.

The Major forms of Modern grappling;

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu(sometimes called Gracie Jiu Jitsu) is the art originally developed by the famous Gracie Family based on what they learned from noted Jiujitsu/Judo/ artist Mitsuyo "Count Combat" Maeda.

In addition to being one of the primary arts used in MMA, BJJ is also practiced as a sport. BJJ competitions have different rules based on who's holding the tournament but the rules generally are:

Matches are timed(time limits vary based on age, rank, and organization)(Time limits are also a somewhat recent phenomenon)
Matches can be won either by points or submissions
Points are generally awarded for the following(all positions must be held for at least 3 seconds): Takedown, Sweep, Passing the Guard, Knee on Belly, Mount, and Taking the back.
BJJ Matches are thought with a gi(No GI matches have slightly different rules, I call them submission grappling but really it's whatever)

Some Popular Tournaments are:
Metamoris
Pan Ams
Worlds
Etc…

[Help me fill this section ]

Submission Grappling is basically the same as BJJ with a few changes:
Matches are fought no gi(usually with competitors wearing a rash guard and shorts, sometimes long tight brightly colored pants)
Divisions are often broken down by experience instead of belt level
Techniques that are generally banned in BJJ are often allowed(heelhooks, twisters, other cranks or cervical locks)
Points often are not given for knee on belly

Some Popular Tournaments are:
ADCC Ahbu Dhabi Combat Club
Metamoris

again would appreciate short descriptions

Catch Wrestling(Thanks to cort for this)
Catch As Catch Can- Basically, wrestling with submission holds. Pro wrestling, but real and with no striking. Catch is mostly prominent in Japan, though believe it or not, at one time people could wrestle in the UK too. Rules allow pins, all submissions and no striking. Catch has as deep a history as Judo or Jiu-Jitsu. Mitsuyo Maeda (Conde Koma) the guy who taught Judo/Jiu-Jitsu to the Gracies was a Pro/Catch wrestler in addition to a Judoka/Jiu-Jitsu player. Modern Pro wrestling developed from Catch Wrestling, often wrestlers would interchange scripted fights with real challenges.

Classical Catch Wrestling basically became extinct in the early 20th century. There are a few old masters with legitimate catch pedigrees, and younger guys who trained under them, but most modern catch wrestlers are grapplers from other styles that have incorporated catch moves and choose to fight under the Catch banner.

In recent years, catch wrestling’s profile has increased with notable events like Josh Barnett putting Dean Lister in a dark place and the rise of the leglock game in major BJJ competitions.
Notable legends: Farmer Burns, Ad Santel, Billy Riley, Billy Robinson, Frank Gotch, Karl Gotch, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Minoru Suzuki, Kazushi Sakuraba, Ken Shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Kiyoshi Tamura.

Important historical figures who were no good in real competition- Yoji Anjo, Nobuhiko Takada.

Modern well-known representatives: Kazushi Sakuraba, Kiyoshi Tamura, Josh Barnett, Satoru Kitaoka, Megumi Fuji.

Judo: from: http://judoinfo.com and the Judo wikipedia article, with my own details added

Judo is many things to different people. It is a fun sport, an art, a discipline, a recreational or social activity, a fitness program, a means of self-defense or combat, and a way of life. It is all of these and more.

Kodokan Judo comes to us from the fighting system of feudal Japan. Founded in 1882 by Dr. Jigoro Kano, Judo is a refinement of the ancient martial art of Jujutsu. Dr. Kano, President of the University of Education, Tokyo, studied these ancient forms and integrated what he considered to be the best of their techniques into what is now the modern sport of Judo.

Basically, Kano's genius was in taking all the various techniques and styles of Jiu-jitsu (the blanket Japanese term for open hand fighting) and creating a codified, scientific style. He junked anything that was too unsafe for daily practice, relied on strength or brutality, or just plain wasn't very good. He also really emphasized practicing his techniques on fully resisting partners, rather than relying only on staid, formal kata.

Judo Competitors wear Judogis, thick kimonos intended for grabbing and pulling. The object in a judo match is to throw the opponent to the ground on his shoulder; to pin him to the ground principally on his back; or to force him to submit to a choke, strangle or an armlock. Any of these score ippon, immediately winning the match.
Judo has three grades of score: ippon, waza-ari and yuko. An ippon literally means "one point" and wins the match. An ippon is awarded for (a) a throw that lands the opponent largely on their back in a controlled manner with speed and force; (b) for a mat hold of sufficient duration (twenty five seconds); or (c) for opponent submission. A waza-ari is awarded for a throw that does not quite have enough power or control to be considered ippon; or for a hold of twenty seconds. A waza-ari is a half-point, and, if two are scored, they constitute the full point needed for a win.
Yuko is a lower grade of score, and only counts as a tie-breaker; it is not cumulative with other yuko scores. Scoring is lexicographic; a waza-ari beats any number of yuko, but a waza-ari and a yuko beat a waza-ari with no yuko. A fifteen-second hold down scores yuko. If the person who secured the hold down already has a waza-ari, they only need to hold the hold down for twenty seconds to score ippon by way of two waza-ari (waza-ari-awasete-ippon). Throws further lacking the requirements of an ippon or a waza-ari might score a yuko. So-called "skillful takedowns" are also permitted (e.g. the flying arm-bar) but do not score.

Judo has about one rule for every 10th star visible in the northern hemisphere, so interested parties can do their own research on specifics.

List of notable Judoka(Thanks to Death Bucket)
Jigoro Kano - founded Kodokan judo and standardized the ruleset
Mitsuyo Maeda - brought judo to Brazil and taught the Gracies
Masahiko Kimura - went to Brazil and challenged Helio, threw him about a billion times and eventually broke his arm with an armlock, making it even more significant when Sakuraba beat Royler and Renzo with the same armlock
Gene LeBell - ragdolled Bruce Lee, literally made Steven Seagal poo poo himself, wears a pink gi and dares you to say anything about it
Satoshi Ishii - Gold medalist 2008, the latest Great Japanese Hope, has an enormous head

in MMA:
Hidehiko Yoshida - uchi-mata'd everyone in the 1992 Olympics, choked Royce unconscious, fought Rulon Gardner in one of the dumbest matches ever
Sanae Kikuta - won ADCC, founded the gooniest gym (Grabaka), is probably the most boring Japanese fighter not named Izuru Takeuchi
Dong Sik Yoon - not really all that good at MMA, but he can do armbars and he's likable :unsmith:
Pawel Nastula - got thrown to the wolves like pretty much no one else, last seen getting punched in the dick a lot
Manny Gamburyan - angry little bastard
Roman Mitichyan - not a poosey
Makoto Takimoto - gold medalist, got submitted by loving Cyborg
Karo Parisyan - used to be fun to watch, now too busy taking painkillers and freaking out to be relevant
some greasy human being - used to be relevant, now too busy having flashbacks of Misaki's shin caving in his face to do much meaningful in MMA
Yuki Nakai - Seven Universities Kosen Judo champion, Shooto champion, had probably the most badass MMA moment ever when after getting his eye gouged out and fighting for almost an hour, he walked by Rickson Gracie screaming "Rickson, you're next!"

SAMBO(Thanks to Mechafunkzilla):
SAMBO!

Sambo (sometimes spelled 'cambo') is an acronym for “SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya” or “self-defense without a weapon” in Russian. It was originally developed for and is still practiced by the Russian military. Its founding is generally attributed to Vasili Oshchepkov and Viktor Spiridinov, as well Spiridinov's student Anatoly Kharlampiev. Spiridinov was a wrestling coach with expertise in Greco-Roman wrestling, Russian folk wrestling, Mongolian folk wrestling and Japanese jiujitsu. Oshchepkov studied Judo under its founder, Kano Jigoro (for which he was later sent by Stalin to die in a gulag). Both men were commissioned by Lenin to develop a style of self-defense for the Red Army, and had teams of students which traveled abroad to study other martial arts.

Many of these influences can be seen in aspects of sport and combat sambo: the jacket, called a kurtka (Judo), the shoulder flaps on the kurtka (to simulate the vest worn in Mongolian wrestling), and the competition mat (Western wrestling).

"Sambo" competition comes in several flavors:

Sport sambo - mostly practiced in Russia and eastern Europe, it is very similar to Judo competition. Chokes are not allowed, and only a short time is allotted for groundwork after a throw. Points are given for throws of varying success, and for pins of varying lengths. Matches can end early through either a submission, a large difference in points, or a "total victory" throw, in which the attacker is able to throw the defender onto his back while remaining on his feet.

Combat sambo - sport sambo with striking on the feet and chokes.

Sambo competition in the US generally differs from Russian sport sambo in that chokes are allowed, increased ground time, etc. Because there is no single overseeing organization, the rules vary.

Sambo players with MMA success include Fedor and Aleks Emelianenko, Andrei Arlovski, Sergei Kharitonov, Oleg Taktarov, Igor Vovchanchyn, and Satoko Shinashi.

To find a sambo school in the US, look here.

Wrestling(thanks Mardragon):

NCAA and the Olympics are different. Yes it is harder to win an Olympic (Greco-Roman or Freestyle) gold obviously, but it's also not the same kind of wrestling (folkstyle or collegiate) done in the NCAA. For years and years people have argued about why the United States hamstrings our Olympic hopefuls in international competition by making them wrestle a style in high school and college that isn't recognized internationally. Typically the collegiate wrestlers who are good try to transition to Freestyle wrestling and that takes a year at least to make the adjustment. Recently a couple of wrestlers have opted to skip wrestling in college and go straight to training for international competition most notably Henry Cejudo who is on the current U.S. Olympic team (Won a gold medal at the 2008 Olympics).

Greco-Roman:

Mostly upper body on the feet and mat. It is illegal to hold the opponent below the belt, to make trips, and to attack the legs while standing. You see more throws in Greco-Roman because the traditional defenses to most throws are out of play (hooking the legs or grabbing legs etc.) On the mat the man on top still can't attack legs and the man on bottom usually never fights to improve position because doing so may open them up to a potentially match ending throw. The U.S. usually struggles with Greco-Roman and has only won 3 gold medals in the sport (I would say two since Rulon Gardner won his medal on some bullshit rear end new rule but in the books it goes down on as a gold despite the fact that one of the greatest upsets in U.S. Olympic history happened because of a minor technicality which had not existed in international competition prior to those Olympics. If that rule wasn't in place Rulon would have lost the match two seconds after that call would have happened.).

Freestyle:

Allows the attacks on the legs in all positions. But some of the slick rear end poo poo that U.S. wrestlers pull in folkstyle would result in instant back points in freestyle. You can also lock your hands together from the top position whereas you cannot in folkstyle, please don't ask me to explain this further. Defense from the bottom position consists of laying there and trying to make sure your opponent doesn't flip you over. In international competition the U.S. has much more success in the Olympics (John Smith, Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, Kurt Angle, etc.)

Collegiate (folkstyle) wrestling:

Emphasizes all different positions and it is typically more wide open in terms of moves than Greco-Roman or Freestyle. There is almost equal emphasis on standing positions as well as mat wrestling, and the huge difference from Freestyle and Greco-Roman really comes in when people are in the bottom position. In collegiate wrestling the man on bottom is encouraged (required) to try and improve his position either by standing and facing his opponent or reversing him. Also the top position is different from freestyle in that you are slightly restricted from doing certain things. On the feet everything is in play, takedowns, sweeps, throws etc.

From a wrestling standpoint collegiate is a more "complete" wrestling style, meaning that there is a wider library of moves available, largely stemming from the bottom position's requirement to try and score rather then sit there and try to not be turned. There are also several moves in collegiate wrestling that are doable because of differences in scoring. Freestyle and Greco-Roman have several throws that are not legal in collegiate (full on suplex for one) and a series of moves from the top that are available due to the ability to lock hands. From a MMA point of view the broad generalizations would be that Greco guys would be good in the clinch (Randy Couture) freestyle guys would be good at take downs (GSP trains with the Canadian freestyle team), and collegiate guys would be like every wrestler you see that wasn't part of the Olympic team (huge list).

So, there are the primary grappling styles. I hope we can use this thread to discuss grappling as participants and fans, and in an MMA context.

Watching Grappling

In recent years, it has become easier and easier to follow high level grappling through internet streaming. Below is a list of tournaments and how to watch them:

ADCC Abu Dhabi Combat Club:
[Fill in the blank]

Worlds (Mundials)
[Fill in the blank]

Metamoris
[Fill in the blank]

Pan Ams
[Fill in the blank]

NCAA Tournament
[Fill in the blank]

FlowWrestling Events (should we include?)
[Fill in the blank]

SAMBO tournaments?
[Fill in the blank]

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I would also appreciate some updates for notable people. Especially in BJJ where I feel like I could add a hundred names but IDK who is really the "need to know" outside like Marcello Garcia and the classic legends. The wrestling section could use some people but I don't feel qualified.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Other good things to watch are Eddie Bravo Invitational which is another sub only tourney but with overtime rules instead of draws

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Has The Five no-gi tournament gotten big enough to get mentioned? Its not ADCC level but people around here are pretty aware of it, not sure if that's just a regional thing though.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The wrestling portion is very USA-centric, this a country that came 10th at the last world championships in Men's FS.

No mention of match structure, scoring, UWW, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I do not know most of those things. So please copy and I will paste.