Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's quite clear the X-T1's intended target is the professionals for whom the XP-1/X100s didn't quite offer the raw performance necessary to drag them away. It became obvious very fast that people were in love with Fuji's sensor, but the AF speed and accuracy weren't up to par with their competitors. The X-T1 seems to be a shot across the bows of both the mirrorless and DLSR market, and I'm looking forward to the competition it produces :hehe:

I totally agree. IF your working in the photobiz 100%, you shouldnt use a Xcamera for certain things like fast movements then some awesome pro comes along and shatters the misconception that all X cameras are slow. The XE2 solves alot of the downfalls of teh Xpro1/XE1/X100 in terms of AF performance and buffer speeds. If the XT1 is as good as it is on paper, you are right, its going to make Nikon/Canon look. I am not sure if Oly will give any fucks about Fuji because they are already pretty well seated, market wise.

I did grumble about AF my first week of owning an XE1 but my shooting situations rarely merit a NEED for D800 fast AF because trees rarely move. If I was a parent, Id be ok with the hit and miss AF performance. The last few firmware updates have made huge improvements in this area and the camera isnt a D800 at the Superbowl fast, but its fast enough now. The XE2 is very snappy and hunts even less.

I am not ashamed to say that the XT1 is my next body this year. 10-24 first, XT1 second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Is learning how to use a manual lens something that takes a bit to get used to? I've been looking at one of the new 85 mm m4/3 lenses. I've played around a bit with manual focusing, I'm just wondering if people find it's worth it.

Pros:
Relatively inexpensive. A good MF 50/1.4 will cost you about half of a mediocre AF 50/1.8.
Some people swear by the "colors" of certain old brands that are almost impossible to quantify (though somehow my MD 50 puts out nicer feeling tones than my FD 50, and I can't say why beyond placebo).
Some people just think it's neat, and if you're shooting things where you have time to fiddle (and miss) you can pull out some very nice stuff that might give you a greater sense of accomplishment.
E: There's also the ability to use lenses that may have some sentimental value. I've taken quite a few shots of my kid using an old M42 screwmount lens my father-in-law used for years taking pictures of my wife. That kind of circle-of-life stuff gives me warm fuzzies, but maybe I'm a weirdo.

Cons:
Zooms generally suck compared with modern zoom lenses.
You're going to miss a lot. A lot a lot. You will catch a perfect moment, your peaking will tell you you're spot on, it will look dead on on your screen or in your viewfinder, and then you'll get home and it'll be so far out you'll wonder what the hell happened. Go read the DPReviews article today on legacy lenses on the A7/r. That pretty well sums up the experience. Under f/4 or so, no amount of practice will make you both quick and accurate. You have to use the zoom function, which takes forever, and you will still sometimes miss your focus by a foot. It is a ton of fun for portraiture/macro/lanscape, where you can really just spend the time. It's terrible for chasing people around a house or at parties or whatever.

In actual practice, it's essentially hard-mode in a video game. More difficult for basically only your own enjoyment with the added benefit of saving you money on a fast portrait lens.

I actually love it ≤50mm and/or f/4 and smaller. It's very difficult to reliably focus on moving things any wider than that, and very difficult to find focus (especially zoomed in) on anything longer than that.

tldr, if I was to make a suggestion, get a 50mm (which is going to be real close to 85 on a m43 body) on keh for $20 and a $20 adapter and leave them on your camera for a week. See how it goes. At worst, you'll have $40 portrait lens that can be tack sharp when you have the time to fiddle.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 23, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Manual focus lenses are great if you have the patience for them.

These days I just don't.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I think he was asking about using manual focus on a modern AF lens. Many of the better Olympus lenses are built to allow easy manual focus.
For me, with those kinds of lenses, I use manual mode mainly to prefocus on an area when I know the subject is going to be in that spot and I don't want any AF lag. Shooting landscapes, for example, it's easier to prefocus on infinity than to wait for AF to go through the motions. Also in cases where there is low contrast and auto just can't get a lock. I use it sometimes when shooting birds when the camera insists on focusing on a random leaf or branch instead of the subject. This can happen even when using the center focus spot.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't know about Olympus cameras, but the NEX line has a mode called DMF that is pretty nice for those situations. After it goes though the autofocus, it lets you adjust focus manually and turns the focus peaking on.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Olympus has S-AF + MF, where you can half press the shutter for autofocus, or use the lens to manually focus.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RustedChrome posted:

I think he was asking about using manual focus on a modern AF lens. Many of the better Olympus lenses are built to allow easy manual focus.
For me, with those kinds of lenses, I use manual mode mainly to prefocus on an area when I know the subject is going to be in that spot and I don't want any AF lag. Shooting landscapes, for example, it's easier to prefocus on infinity than to wait for AF to go through the motions. Also in cases where there is low contrast and auto just can't get a lock. I use it sometimes when shooting birds when the camera insists on focusing on a random leaf or branch instead of the subject. This can happen even when using the center focus spot.

If this is the case then, yeah, learn to do that because it's super useful and not all that difficult. There's probably more to "learning" when to do it than actually doing it.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
I bought an X-M1 recently and Fuji UK is offering £300 cashback for purchasing two XF lenses. I'd like a great lens for general use and one for travelling - which two would be the best? I'd like to keep it to about £500 after cashback.

The list of lenses in the deal is here.

Alternatively, I might stick with the kit lens (XC 16-50) for general use and buy the 18mm or 27mm for travel instead, which still gets £100 cashback.

OppyDoppyDopp fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 23, 2014

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Huxley posted:

Pros:
Relatively inexpensive. A good MF 50/1.4 will cost you about half of a mediocre AF 50/1.8.
Some people swear by the "colors" of certain old brands that are almost impossible to quantify (though somehow my MD 50 puts out nicer feeling tones than my FD 50, and I can't say why beyond placebo).
Some people just think it's neat, and if you're shooting things where you have time to fiddle (and miss) you can pull out some very nice stuff that might give you a greater sense of accomplishment.
E: There's also the ability to use lenses that may have some sentimental value. I've taken quite a few shots of my kid using an old M42 screwmount lens my father-in-law used for years taking pictures of my wife. That kind of circle-of-life stuff gives me warm fuzzies, but maybe I'm a weirdo.

Cons:
Zooms generally suck compared with modern zoom lenses.
You're going to miss a lot. A lot a lot. You will catch a perfect moment, your peaking will tell you you're spot on, it will look dead on on your screen or in your viewfinder, and then you'll get home and it'll be so far out you'll wonder what the hell happened. Go read the DPReviews article today on legacy lenses on the A7/r. That pretty well sums up the experience. Under f/4 or so, no amount of practice will make you both quick and accurate. You have to use the zoom function, which takes forever, and you will still sometimes miss your focus by a foot. It is a ton of fun for portraiture/macro/lanscape, where you can really just spend the time. It's terrible for chasing people around a house or at parties or whatever.

In actual practice, it's essentially hard-mode in a video game. More difficult for basically only your own enjoyment with the added benefit of saving you money on a fast portrait lens.

I actually love it ≤50mm and/or f/4 and smaller. It's very difficult to reliably focus on moving things any wider than that, and very difficult to find focus (especially zoomed in) on anything longer than that.

tldr, if I was to make a suggestion, get a 50mm (which is going to be real close to 85 on a m43 body) on keh for $20 and a $20 adapter and leave them on your camera for a week. See how it goes. At worst, you'll have $40 portrait lens that can be tack sharp when you have the time to fiddle.

Hmm. This is actually what I was looking for. I like shooting animals, so perhaps a manual focus isn't the best for me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TLG James posted:

Hmm. This is actually what I was looking for. I like shooting animals, so perhaps a manual focus isn't the best for me.

Oh god no. If you're in very controlled conditions (landscapes, portraits, etc), go to town with MF lenses. Moving stuff like sports and animals? You can make MF work but it's going to be a serious exercise in frustration.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Yeah, if you already had crazy old Zeiss MF lenses lying around the house, I'd say sure. If you enjoy a challenge and don't mind a 1/10 hit rate on moving targets, or if you are in love with the nostalgia of it, go for it.

It's probably a little easier outdoors where you have better light and don't have to be as precise with your DOF. But even then, I've shot manual 50s, 135s, 200s and a 35-105, and the only one I can really recommend indoors is the 50. The 35-105 is a little better outdoors, but even then it's twice the size of a comparative AF lens, and nobody knows the difference but you.

So buy a 50/1.8 or maybe a 28/2.8 with an adapter and see how it goes. I think it's a lot of fun and most of my favorite pictures have been on MF 50s, but go in knowing it's mostly just masturbation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can always do the sensible thing and use your MF lens as an excuse to buy an MF film body. Buy a Pentax 50 1.7 and then put an ME Super on it, you won't be disappointed.

Plus blurry, misfocused film shots tend to look better than their digital counterparts :q:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
And the best thing is that even with a film body it'll cost like $60 at most

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

I bought an X-M1 recently and Fuji UK is offering £300 cashback for purchasing two XF lenses. I'd like a great lens for general use and one for travelling - which two would be the best? I'd like to keep it to about £500 after cashback.

The list of lenses in the deal is here.

Alternatively, I might stick with the kit lens (XC 16-50) for general use and buy the 18mm or 27mm for travel instead, which still gets £100 cashback.

35mm hands down.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The highest of praise. (Or the hottest of flame bait)

http://m.cultofmac.com/cultofmac/#!/entry/more-shots-of-the-xt1-from-fujifilm-the-apple-of,52e0d01de56d0bb8534b7460/1

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have been using a Gordy's strap on my x100s but the other night I decided I wanted something that could extend into a sling. I ordered this expensive strap because reasons (I was hella drunk). It came in today and looks pretty good.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Holy poo poo that article. :stare:

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

It's faint praise indeed when the source is an insufferable, overflowing toilet of a human being.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Mr Despair's favorite company is also releasing a new camera next week:

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Yeah, I don't understand the E-M10. The E-M5 is down to like 800 for the body. And you have the E-P5 as well. I don't understand where the new model is supposed to fall in the product line.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cru Jones posted:

Yeah, I don't understand the E-M10. The E-M5 is down to like 800 for the body. And you have the E-P5 as well. I don't understand where the new model is supposed to fall in the product line.

Yeah I thought it was going to be a EM5 lookalike superxoom? So its actualy a low end replacement of the EM5.

Its interesting that Olympus is spliting EM5 into low end and high end 2 different models; Fuji OTOH, quickly replaced the XE1 at the same price and then released another more expensive model in different form factor. Sony has pretty much discontinued both N6 and N7 and replaced them with more expensive FF bodies. I predict Sony will make another EVF-less FF body.

I see they got rip off of the ugly EVF connector on the EM5 and made EM10's forehead better looking.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I impulse-purchased a used X-E2 from B&H, then immediately cancelled my order because the X-E2 isn't enough of an upgrade over the X-E1. I also impulse purchased an RX-100ii that I will return because I don't need three cameras.

halp

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bob Socko posted:

I impulse-purchased a used X-E2 from B&H, then immediately cancelled my order because the X-E2 isn't enough of an upgrade over the X-E1. I also impulse purchased an RX-100ii that I will return because I don't need three cameras.

halp

Sell all of them and get a X-T1 like me. :smugdog:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

<--

keyframe posted:

Mr Despair's favorite company is also releasing a new camera next week:

2nd favorite.

also if you're getting really pandeditic then the em-5 will get phased out sooner rather than later, and we'll be at the old style om-1/om-10 sort of high end/low end range for slrs.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if this were the E-M5 replacement; it's probably just a new low-end OMD-category and the E-M5 (mid-range) successor will be released later this year.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
That a new version of the 14-42? It looks slimmer than I remember seeing it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Startyde posted:

That a new version of the 14-42? It looks slimmer than I remember seeing it.

It is, one of those compact power zoom lenses.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I guess they finally took a cue from Panasonic in that department.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does the EM5 have 3 axis IS or 5 axis?

Also if you guys could pick one zoom lens for m4/3 what would it be? I am planning on getting a Blackmagic camera soon and trying to decide what lens to get with it.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

keyframe posted:

Also if you guys could pick one zoom lens for m4/3 what would it be? I am planning on getting a Blackmagic camera soon and trying to decide what lens to get with it.

Either the Oly 12-40 (which I have) or the Pana 12-35 (probably just as good, but with IS).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

keyframe posted:

Keyframe's goal is to out-do me in the "own every camera at least once" category.

(except he's limiting himself to cameras worth having :smith:)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Martytoof posted:

Keyframe's goal is to out-do me in the "own every camera at least once" category.

(except he's limiting himself to cameras worth having :smith:)

I am hoping the X-T1 will have amazing video functionality so I can save money by not getting blackmagic. :unsmith:

Blackmagic is pretty badass though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

keyframe posted:

Isn't the BM Pocket Cinema supposed to be generally a bad camera? The reviews of it I read all seemed to be along the lines of "You have to tack on so much stuff to overcome its shortcomings that it defeats the point of it being tiny to begin with"

Though I guess if you're already invested in an m4/3s system it's really your only choice.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fart Car '97 posted:

Isn't the BM Pocket Cinema supposed to be generally a bad camera? The reviews of it I read all seemed to be along the lines of "You have to tack on so much stuff to overcome its shortcomings that it defeats the point of it being tiny to begin with"

Though I guess if you're already invested in an m4/3s system it's really your only choice.

No it's an amazing camera for video. I am not aware of many shortcomings other than having to buy a rig (which you have to do with any camera anyway) and the fact that it eats batteries like candy. There are some natural shortcomings due to size where you have to go into menus to change some settings since it has like three buttons but I can live with that. The quality of the footage was pretty good in all my tests.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

keyframe posted:

5 axis

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

keyframe posted:

I am hoping the X-T1 will have amazing video functionality so I can save money by not getting blackmagic. :unsmith:

Blackmagic is pretty badass though.

Dont bet on it. On par with X100s/XE2 due to the fact its the same sensor is my bet. Rumor has it, the VF on the XT1 will be similar to the F3hp in terms of awesomeness :snoop: Huge hump: Justified. if true

Just get a 200bux 4k camera http://www.eoshd.com/content/9806/nikon-v1-shooting-4k-60fps-raw-for-200 :toot:

Musket fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 26, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

Isn't the BM Pocket Cinema supposed to be generally a bad camera?

I've never heard anyone call it a bad camera? It definitely has some limitations and isn't going to be the right camera for everyone or every situation, but it's pretty special. I never use rigs if I can help it as they have just as much detrimental effect on the portability of a DSLR--that's not exclusive to the BMPCC. Most of the bad things are more quirks, like poor battery life and some odd auto iris stuff. The whole line of Blackmagic cameras seems to have some quirks that may be a pain to work with depending on what you're doing. None of that makes them bad cameras though. They aren't a great fit for the work I do, but there's nothing that's all that much better unless I win the lottery and can afford an Amira.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Musket posted:

Dont bet on it. On par with X100s/XE2 due to the fact its the same sensor is my bet. Rumor has it, the VF on the XT1 will be similar to the F3hp in terms of awesomeness :snoop: Huge hump: Justified. if true

Just get a 200bux 4k camera http://www.eoshd.com/content/9806/nikon-v1-shooting-4k-60fps-raw-for-200 :toot:

Holy poo poo that nikon v1 can shoot 400 fps video? what the gently caress?! :psyduck:

Might pick one of those up just for the hell of it.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage posted:

I currently have a Panasonic G3, the 20mm f1.7, and the 14-42mm power zoom*. I took them with me on a one year trip through Asia and was really happy with the combination.

I'm planning another trip for next year and decided it's time to upgrade the camera. My first choice was the GX7 cause of the extra features, but now I am wondering if I should optimize for size/weight and go for the GM1 instead, particularly since they have the same sensor so the IQ difference between them won't be that significant. I prefer the ergonomics of the GX7 - the GM1 handles like a tiny point and shoot which I find rather awkward, but perhaps the accessory grip would help with this.

I really like that the GM1 can fit in my jacket pocket (and probably my pants pocket too, actually), which means I'll have it with me more often. Right now I generally use a separate bag to carry the camera, and if I don't feel like carrying the bag around I won't have the camera. Something more pocketable sounds highly appealing, I'm just not sure if I'm willing to accept the tradeoff in features. (I've also considered the RX100 II but I love the 20mm f1.7 lens and would be sad to give that up!)

* Well and the 100-300mm telephoto but I'm not taking that traveling since it weighs nearly 2 lbs by itself.

Edit: Lens-wise I'm probably going to stick with the 20mm f1.7 and the 12-32mm pancakes (for portability) no matter what, and will end up selling the G3 and 14-42mm power zoom. The only question is which body to pair with it.

Maybe I'll pick up that body cap lens though, it's super cheap.
Just to follow up on this in case anyone is curious, I ended up buying both the GM1 and the GX7 to try out for a month (thanks to Amazon's incredibly generous holiday return policy), and decided to keep the GM1 and send back the GX7.

At the end of the end of the day the sensors are so similar that there's effectively no discernable IQ difference between the two, and the convenience of having a camera that easily slips into my pocket outweighs the superior features of the GX7.

I'm really impressed with the image quality you can get from this tiny little camera. I was quite happy with my G3, but the GM1 is in another league, especially in low light conditions. This will be great as a travel camera (especially if you're backpacking and every lb of gear you take is an extra lb to carry).

All that said, there are two flaws with the GM1 that I found quite annoying and am still adjusting to.

1. The handling. The stock camera basically needs to be held like a point and shoot, with your index fingers on the top corners and your thumbs on the lower corners. It's not really fun to use a camera for an extended period of time like this. I ended up picking up an aftermarket grip which improves the handling tremendously. The extra bump gives your hand enough space to grip onto the camera so you can operate it one handed without worrying about dropping it. If you have this camera I would definitely recommend this grip (and not the overpriced Panasonic one that weighs more and also blocks the battery/SD port).
2. The rear circular dial is not very easy to use. It does not scroll smoothly, and I find myself often accidentally pushing one of the buttons when trying to scroll the dial. I think this is getting better now that it's loosening up a bit, but in the beginning I kept accidentally pushing the buttons in so often it was driving me nuts. I'm not sure how they got this one wrong when my 3 year old Canon S95 has a perfectly functional rear dial that I've never had a problem with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

X-T1 announcement is tonight at 11:30 P.M. EST, so everyone can circle-jerk around it before going to bed.