Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Happier story I told on Retsutalk. At PAX this year, I happened to sit one row behind JonTron on Amtrak (nice guy in person). The loving conductor came back and said "I'm a huge fan of your videos and I'd be honored if you pushed the button."

I guess it was the TRAIN START button, but yeah, JonTron got to push it.

Was JonTron not super loving embarrassed being asked that?

I just don't get the whole crazy excitedness that some folks get around stars. Getting that way over YT stars baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Golden Goat posted:

I just don't get the whole crazy excitedness that some folks get around stars. Getting that way over YT stars baffles me.

I'll admit, as a huge Ghostbusters nerd, I was really excited to meet Dan Aykroyd, but... poo poo, meeting some Youtube guy? I don't see it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

Nah, I think he's famous enough to be used to it. More than a few people came to the car to say hi.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
slowbeef, if I ever see you in an Amtrak car, I'll stop by to say hello to make you feel better.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll admit, as a huge Ghostbusters nerd, I was really excited to meet Dan Aykroyd, but... poo poo, meeting some Youtube guy? I don't see it.

You weren't like hyperventilating, bouncing off the walls and about to pass out over this though, right? Cause that's the sort of stuff I don't get.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: I believe some hardcore fighting game types hate him because he panders to filthy casuals or some poo poo, which makes him even better

Eh, Max is by all accounts a very nice dude and his videos are...not offensive, at least, but a problem "hardcore" fighting game types have with him is that he says a lot of misinformed stuff on his videos, and he makes (or used to make, at least) WAY too many videos about any minimal fighting games news. Also, he likes KI.

paradoxGentleman posted:

How much truth is there in the stereotype that fighting game experts are elitist douchebags?

The actually really good guys are nice. From personal experience I can only talk about players in my country, and 90% of them are stupidly humble and helpful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

You weren't like hyperventilating, bouncing off the walls and about to pass out over this though, right? Cause that's the sort of stuff I don't get.

Haha, no, not at all. I had a bit of a butterfly-in-my-stomach feeling, because this is someone who I've watched over and over and over since I was about 4 years old, plus he's a genuinely talented celebrity. I mean, the dude WROTE Ghosbusters and The Blues Brothers.

But I'm with you, the absolute insanity some people show near famous or near-famous people is just way too off.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Haha, no, not at all. I had a bit of a butterfly-in-my-stomach feeling, because this is someone who I've watched over and over and over since I was about 4 years old, plus he's a genuinely talented celebrity. I mean, the dude WROTE Ghosbusters and The Blues Brothers.

But I'm with you, the absolute insanity some people show near famous or near-famous people is just way too off.

Yeah that stuff is grand.
I'm probably a little put off by people who overreact cause a guy ran into me trying to talk to Gabe once and I was pretty annoyed over it. It was pretty funny though how this guy plowed through me to get to him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've worked with some decently famous people before just as an extension of my career, and it's firmly ensured that I can't be a panicky mess hyperventilating whenever someone with their own Wikipedia article shows up. Being obsessive is kinda ridiculous when they're really just regular folks doing a job. Chad Michael Murray holds his coffee weird (he has a thumb over the lid at all times), Kat Dennings is extremely tiny, and I sit around chatting and trading Facebook friend requests with B-list actors and comedians who opened for Wayne Brady once because we happened to be on the same production. Everyone's where they are because they're working. Even if it's what they love doing, it's a job. They're not making literal magic and if you're working with them, you shouldn't really treat them any different than your co-worker at an office. That permeates how I act if I see them out on the street.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slowbeef, I recall you saying you used to work for Viacom on a Retsutalk once. I feel its important to let you know the only reason I ended up interning there was so I could meet you in The Lodge during a lunch break.

Obviously kidding, but for real I met Sway (MTV presetner) and Kevin Smith during that internship and they were nice people.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've worked with some decently famous people before just as an extension of my career, and it's firmly ensured that I can't be a panicky mess hyperventilating whenever someone with their own Wikipedia article shows up. Being obsessive is kinda ridiculous when they're really just regular folks doing a job. Chad Michael Murray holds his coffee weird (he has a thumb over the lid at all times), Kat Dennings is extremely tiny, and I sit around chatting and trading Facebook friend requests with B-list actors and comedians who opened for Wayne Brady once because we happened to be on the same production. Everyone's where they are because they're working. Even if it's what they love doing, it's a job. They're not making literal magic and if you're working with them, you shouldn't really treat them any different than your co-worker at an office. That permeates how I act if I see them out on the street.

Yeah, there have been some notable people in the entertainment industry I've met. They are all pretty humble and chill from my experience. One nice example of "its a famous person not thinking the world revolves around them" was Liam Neeson holding the elevator door open for all the production staff without really needing to.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 13, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

dreezy posted:

His LPs of SWAT4, Phantasmagoria 2, and Ripper are all pretty good, but he does seem like a dick. He's also completely impossible to listen to when he's just talking without something to comment over, a script, or heavy editing. Jesus Christ the endless, repetitive rambling.

He can be really funny, but he has emotional problem upon emotional problem. It's really sad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah that stuff is grand.
I'm probably a little put off by people who overreact cause a guy ran into me trying to talk to Gabe once and I was pretty annoyed over it. It was pretty funny though how this guy plowed through me to get to him.

which gabe

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

dreezy posted:

His LPs of SWAT4, Phantasmagoria 2, and Ripper are all pretty good, but he does seem like a dick. He's also completely impossible to listen to when he's just talking without something to comment over, a script, or heavy editing. Jesus Christ the endless, repetitive rambling.

If I remember correctly the guy legit has psychological issues and was at one point on heavy anti-depressant medication.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Unfunny Poster posted:

Slowbeef, I recall you saying you used to work for Viacom on a Retsutalk once. I feel its important to let you know the only reason I ended up interning there was so I could meet you in The Lodge during a lunch break.

I was offsite; Lodge was nice though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Obviously kidding, but for real I met Sway (MTV presetner) and Kevin Smith during that internship and they were nice people.

Yeah, there have been some notable people in the entertainment industry I've met. They are all pretty humble and chill from my experience. One nice example of "its a famous person not thinking the world revolves around them" was Liam Neeson holding the elevator door open for all the production staff without really needing to.

I've actually found that the smaller you are, the more likely you are to be a dick. C-list guys are the ones who think they're hot poo poo and try to live like they're wealthy stars while waiting to get noticed by the big leagues.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

I've actually found that the smaller you are, the more likely you are to be a dick. C-list guys are the ones who think they're hot poo poo and try to live like they're wealthy stars while waiting to get noticed by the big leagues.

I haven't really had any bad experiences save for one guy, not an actor just part of the other groups production staff, being an unwavering rear end in a top hat for no reason.

When I did Pro-SC2 coverage with MLG for a short while I experienced more of what you are referring to. They had such rampant douchebags at all levels it made the work not worth the hassle and poor pay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In one of the more recent Game Grumps things where Ross hung out with ProJared, they were recording something at their hotel at a convention at like 3 in the morning (because there'd be less people around) and they caught on camera having their room be surrounded by a bunch of fans or similar; the people hung around for a while talking about them, then slid a note under the door pretending to be con staff to get their phone numbers out of them. It was preeeetty freaky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx7S5gUcAwM
(go to 15:30 or so)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dias posted:

Eh, Max is by all accounts a very nice dude and his videos are...not offensive, at least, but a problem "hardcore" fighting game types have with him is that he says a lot of misinformed stuff on his videos, and he makes (or used to make, at least) WAY too many videos about any minimal fighting games news. Also, he likes KI.
Fair enough. I will admit I'm pretty firmly scrub tier when it comes to fighting games, so I don't necessarily notice the misinformed stuff. Watching Max's videos was one of the main things that got me back into fighting games and trying to learn them beyond "hurr punch mans" after so many years of ignoring them, so he's cool with me. I do agree he tends to post a lot of minor fighting game news stuff, and I don't really watch those videos either. Also, by "some hardcore fighting types" I mostly meant the guys you see shitposting on SRK or youtube comments and unironically calling people scrubs and stuff like that, I'm pretty sure most folks in the FGC are perfectly good dudes.

I also like KI :saddowns:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 13, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You know, despite the fact that some of his videos have some loud yelling, I tend to find it silly and endearing as opposed to annoying? It's odd, I don't usually like that sort of stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gabe Newell

CJacobs posted:

In one of the more recent Game Grumps things where Ross hung out with ProJared, they were recording something at their hotel at a convention at like 3 in the morning (because there'd be less people around) and they caught on camera having their room be surrounded by a bunch of fans or similar; the people hung around for a while talking about them, then slid a note under the door pretending to be con staff to get their phone numbers out of them. It was preeeetty freaky.

Well that's aggressively creepy.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 13, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

judge reinhold posted:

People who have triangulated where I'm from have actually used the information to relocate farther away.

I'm working my way through the mustards or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Golden Goat posted:

Well that's aggressively creepy.

The absolute kicker of it all is that they were 100% outed as being creepy weirdos and not MAGFest staff by this comment on the video by the MAGFest Youtube group:

And I have to say I agree. What the fuckkkkkk

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Youtube's doing a 10 year anniversary with a different letter of the alphabet featured every day.
Apparently "L is for Let's Play".

Also according to trends the top 10 most watched games on youtube are:

quote:

1- Minecraft
2- Graft Theft Auto
3- League of Legends
4- Call of Duty (series)
5- FIFA (series)
6- Garry's Mod (an interactive sandbox built using Half-Life 2's tech)
7- The Sims (series)
8- Five Nights at Freddy's (series)
9- Puzzles and Dragons
10- Dota 2

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Youtube posted:

You’re not just watching a video--you’re getting to know someone while they engage with something you both genuinely love.
...potentially leading to you stalking said person.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Jesus christ :stare: :psyduck: I hate people, so much.

I would love to see any one of those creepy weirdos publicly shamed. I mean, these are youtube dudes... why stalk them?! You broken, broken people.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Jesus christ :stare: :psyduck: I hate people, so much.

I would love to see any one of those creepy weirdos publicly shamed. I mean, these are youtube dudes... why stalk them?! You broken, broken people.

Only reason I can think of is to assimilate into their ranks. Like if they fake an 'accidental' encounter, maybe it'll go well and they'll get invited to do videos together.

It'd actually be hilarious if someone successfully pulled that off, rose through the ranks of a Youtube network, then years later on his deathbed admitted he was a creepy stalker the whole time.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

F. Lobot posted:

Only reason I can think of is to assimilate into their ranks. Like if they fake an 'accidental' encounter, maybe it'll go well and they'll get invited to do videos together.

It'd actually be hilarious if someone successfully pulled that off, rose through the ranks of a Youtube network, then years later on his deathbed admitted he was a creepy stalker the whole time.

At RTX last year, I had a fan come up and tell me a really nice thing. He'd moved to a new city entirely, had no family, friends in the area and he was kinda down about it. So he watched Darkseed 2 and he thanked me for getting him through a rough period in his life. He was totally normal and cool about it - he admitted it's weird to have a YouTube video series get you through some poo poo, but he eventually settled in, etc.

When you make poo poo like this, it's just funny nonsense to you, but for some people , they get a personal connection.

In that guy's case, I think it's totally justifiable - he didn't do anything creepy about it, didn't get obsessive or weird, it was just "hey thanks, it meant a lot to me even if it was just a silly video you made"

But other people, I think, confuse stuff like this for the real life feeling you get when you connect with friends, etc. So they feel like celebrities really do think the way they do, and want to be their friends, etc. if only they hung out with them in real life. Then you get the creepers hoping to make that happen without realizing it's kind of inappropriate and weird on the other side.

Now real-deal celebrities get tons of money with the fame, so they can hire PR people and bodyguards etc. and PR people/agents will tell you from experience how to avoid revealing your hotel room and take care of your social media stuff. YouTube celebs are just sorta on their own since you only make good money (and not Hollywood good, mind) if you're super upper echelon, so most of them learn these lessons the wrong way.

I'm not so grump.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

slowbeef posted:

At RTX last year, I had a fan come up and tell me a really nice thing. He'd moved to a new city entirely, had no family, friends in the area and he was kinda down about it. So he watched Darkseed 2 and he thanked me for getting him through a rough period in his life. He was totally normal and cool about it - he admitted it's weird to have a YouTube video series get you through some poo poo, but he eventually settled in, etc.

When you make poo poo like this, it's just funny nonsense to you, but for some people , they get a personal connection.

In that guy's case, I think it's totally justifiable - he didn't do anything creepy about it, didn't get obsessive or weird, it was just "hey thanks, it meant a lot to me even if it was just a silly video you made"

But other people, I think, confuse stuff like this for the real life feeling you get when you connect with friends, etc. So they feel like celebrities really do think the way they do, and want to be their friends, etc. if only they hung out with them in real life. Then you get the creepers hoping to make that happen without realizing it's kind of inappropriate and weird on the other side.

Now real-deal celebrities get tons of money with the fame, so they can hire PR people and bodyguards etc. and PR people/agents will tell you from experience how to avoid revealing your hotel room and take care of your social media stuff. YouTube celebs are just sorta on their own since you only make good money (and not Hollywood good, mind) if you're super upper echelon, so most of them learn these lessons the wrong way.

I'm not so grump.

I originally decided not to post but since the topic came up here's my own stupid story:

A couple years ago I had lost my job as well as my long term girlfriend at roughly the same time. I didn't have a social life but shortly after that I stumbled onto Retsupurae. I basically marathoned the entire library that summer while I tried to get over everything that had happened and not turn to alcoholism while looking for a new job. It really did help me get through a tough time as suicide certainly was something that had occurred to me and instead I just watched King's Quest.

It's a bizarre feeling; like as time went on it was almost like listening to a couple of your buddies talk but in reality you know that they don't know or care who you are. Eventually I realized that there was a very real problem that I had traded actual social activity for watching youtube videos. I know that there is a similar issue with some people who watch lots of television; the TV becomes their substitute for an actual life. But I think it's an issue when some shut-ins don't ever have that realization and think there is a two-way connection that exists when it obviously doesn't.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Triple Fudge Packers is a phrase that makes me laugh to this day and I would not have discovered it or Super Bummer Man without retsupurae

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

I'm not so grump.

I made John Kassir happy a few years ago at Spooky Empire. I was helping out with a booth for an indie zombie film I did and he was doing a signing about a "block" away in the convention hall. He was surprised to find out that I had seen and loved him in Reefer Madness and wasn't just some obsessive Crypt Keeper guy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And who says let's play is just a dumb hobby! LPs save LIVES, man. :buddy:

I haven't ever gotten any comments like that but someday I hope I do because that means that someone out there found me entertaining enough that it actually made their day better. :allears:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
My online connections, mainly through LP just because that's what I've been doing since Twitter really took off, have enabled me to help some people in ways that wouldn't have been possible if I lived a purely offline life, and that's not just a matter of making videos that some people enjoy for some reason I'm still trying to understand. It's financial support, it's emotional support, and it's being someone who can listen and occasionally even offer something more tangible than advice and comfort. Entertainment is often overlooked as a necessity for life (and it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive... it just has to be something to do), but the people behind it are still people, and it's easy to forget that if you're not used to thinking of people as people. Which sounds weird, but if you've been on the Internet for more than a few minutes, you probably know what I mean. I don't have legions of fans contacting me in inappropriate ways, and I'm thankful for it. I have no idea what I'd do if I did.

Being able to affect someone's life in a meaningful way is a good thing and I recommend that everyone look for opportunities to do it. Just don't go out and make them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

Triple Fudge Packers is a phrase that makes me laugh to this day and I would not have discovered it or Super Bummer Man without retsupurae

I don't think anything will ever top finding out Tank Buster is a military rank. :v:

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

So I was browsing around looking for Binding of Issac info, and I came across this article: http://www.twinfinite.net/2015/01/30/pewdiepie-pissed-nintendo-wont-believe/

I dunno about you guys, but some of this comes across as a bit egotistical, such as "What better way to sell / market a game, than from watching someone else (that you like) playing it and enjoying themselves?" I mean, for indie games, yes that can help them massively, but for companies such as Nintendo? I'm not really seeing it. I could be wrong of course.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Personally, I like to check with a few Youtubers before purchasing a game, and seeing a lot of LPs of said game is a good sign, although one that warrants further investigation, because maybe it's just a crowd-pleaser and not something that aligns with my taste. That being said, I doubt that Nintendo's core audience does the same, and I imagine Nintendo knows that, so it has little to lose by doing this.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 15, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

So I was browsing around looking for Binding of Issac info, and I came across this article: http://www.twinfinite.net/2015/01/30/pewdiepie-pissed-nintendo-wont-believe/

I dunno about you guys, but some of this comes across as a bit egotistical, such as "What better way to sell / market a game, than from watching someone else (that you like) playing it and enjoying themselves?" I mean, for indie games, yes that can help them massively, but for companies such as Nintendo? I'm not really seeing it. I could be wrong of course.

Of all the titles they went with why did they choose Pewdiepie is Pissed at Nintendo, You Won’t Believe Why. It's this close to Pewdiepie learnt one simple trick to lose weight that Nintendo doesn't want you to know

Anyway I think let's play do work pretty well as advertisement but yeah as you said it's not a huge boost for large companies such as Nintendo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The online stuff is kind of a symptom of Nintendo not knowing how to handle online stuff. They'd probably get more flack for it if the dislike for their online policies wasn't mixed up with console war silliness and if their contemporaries like Konami and Capcom hadn't gone insane.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The last thing Nintendo needs is thousands of hours of Boner, Hero Of Hyrule diluting their actual marketing message. The whole idea of doing unsolicited marketing for someone and expecting automatic brownie points for it is all kinds of wonky.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Polygon went with a similar title for the same subject, and Pewdiepie sorta called them out on it.

https://twitter.com/pewdiepie/status/561218504654082048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Youtube LPer Brutally Murders All Of Nintendo. What Happened Next? I Couldn't Believe My Eyes. #3 Will Make You Cry! #8 Will Fill You With Existential Terror!

• Locked thread