Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

The_Franz posted:

functionally kde4 was pretty good, everyone hated it because the interface was ugly as gently caress and felt like it was designed by and for people who spend so much time in a dark room that they need sunglasses in the presence of a 40 watt light bulb. you could try to make it look nicer but that usually had the side effects of misaligned buttons, squished icons and cut-off controls.

lol functionally

i remember "u can place a clock widget on a screen, zoom it up 125% and rotate it 22 degress to the left and make it semitransparent" being a huge selling point and loving lmao idiot nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maximum Leader posted:

can u rdp to a server core?

idk. maybe? youd probably have to enable the service and even then you'd probably still just get a console.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cthulhoo posted:

lol functionally

i remember "u can place a clock widget on a screen, zoom it up 125% and rotate it 22 degress to the left and make it semitransparent" being a huge selling point and loving lmao idiot nerds

with kde 4, they burnt a shitload of time and effort on some kind of ultra-customizable tablet-focused interface: "plasma"

welp

turns out nobody wants desktop widgets

and none of the plasma stuff works on a real tablet because it can't handle high-DPI

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Soricidus posted:

I've never gotten the obsession with horizontal panels. our monitors are getting wider and shorter, surely the only logical thing to do is to shift to taking up space at either side instead

agreed. something unity actually gets right.

I might even actually like unity if they hadn't inherited the alt-tab alt-` crap from gnome 3, and then also not had any good way to fix it, unlike gnome 3's extension.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
unity is fine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
its loving mindblowing 2me that thres a totally free OS that works OOTB with most hardware configurtions, has a dope as gently caress app store, and has nice knockofs of most programs that work pretty darn well and ppl get rly pissed about it. ubuntu ships with a grip more cool poo poo than windows and u dont have to pirate apps from random websites to get functionality. i run my whole theatre on lovely linux computers. that goes from desktop publishing with libreoffice for ur programs, to kdenlive for making promo videos. and its all free. WOW

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
also whoever made the program "pdf chain" is my hero

:worship:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lmao what linux applications are trash

that's what happens when you burn your user interface apis to the loving ground every four years like clockwork, actually-productive people write you off as a waste of time so the only ppl who continue to develop in vain for ShitPlatform 0.8 (the third version 0.8 in as many years) are the True Believer spergs

web browsers and terminal emulators somehow continue to work despite all this. if that's all u need then linux can work for u

and the pathetic thing is it's still better than windows 8.1 update 1 r1

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

web browsers and terminal emulators somehow continue to work despite all this. if that's all u need then linux can work for u

web browsers, terminal emulators, eclipse, and emacs all share an important property that allows them to be usable while everything else crumbles around them: they draw all their own poo poo

firefox uses GTK to paint, and does some halfassed emulation to look like your GTK theme, but it's not really GTK. it has its own lovely cross-platform widget set that it uses inside, so whatever dumbass fingerpainting tablet-happy bullshit Gnome 3 provides this week isn't going to affect it

eclipse is the same story, but with swt+awt

emacs is the same story, but with a pluggable backend (gtk, x11, win32, cocoa -- emacs gives no shits)

terminal emulators do all their own painting over X11, there are no widgets. maaaaybe a font rendering library if you use a really fancy one.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you don't use any shared infrastructure, then the crappiness and churn of the shared infrastructure doesn't matter

problem "solved"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
libvte does use GTK+. It doesn't do raw X11.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yeah konsole and whatever gnome 3 calls it this week are the "really fancy" ones mentioned

most terminal emulators just spew x11. xterm, rxvt, aterm, mrxvt etc. gnome 3 can be so broken it won't build and rxvt will work Just Fine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

firefox uses GTK to paint, and does some halfassed emulation to look like your GTK theme, but it's not really GTK. it has its own lovely cross-platform widget set that it uses inside, so whatever dumbass fingerpainting tablet-happy bullshit Gnome 3 provides this week isn't going to affect it

the widget toolkit purists always bitch about how it's not really GTK underneath Firefox's/Chrome's rendering, but the toolkit doesn't deliver all the things you need to do CSS so welp. (also, rewriting the widget layer every couple of years to support a few dozen Linux users is pretty bad economics.) it also doesn't like being touched from non-main threads, last I checked, which is essential for maintaining smoothness in modern browsers.

I may be a couple of years out of date, but the relationship dynamic is well-established and no matter how many flowers GTK bought me I wouldn't let it back in the house.

tbf, browsers and code editors are unusual in the breadth and scale of their demands on a widget toolkit.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
chome on gnome lmao

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Subjunctive posted:

tbf, browsers and code editors are unusual in the breadth and scale of their demands on a widget toolkit.

I understand browsers, but what do you mean about code editors?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

crazypenguin posted:

i think he means the gui ones with tons of autocompleting for scrubs and not pro ones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

crazypenguin posted:

syntax highlighting
line numbers
all kinds of marks and diacritics (setting breakpoints, flagging bad code)
special popup dialogues for completion

"widgets" exist to serve as code editors, but invariably those "widgets" are as complicated and self-contained as an entire standalone application. e.g. kate/kate-part, scite/scintilla

pram
Jun 10, 2001
code completion is actually anti freedom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

(also, rewriting the widget layer every couple of years to support a few dozen Linux users is pretty bad economics.)

didn't the pre-mozilla netscape try to use motif directly for everything outside the actual html view?

(it was never open source so i can't very well go and google it)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Motif was spun out of Mosaic.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it also used motif inside the html view

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

indeed, NCSA used their time machine to go back in time before the web even existed and tell the OSF what they needed to create, it was quite a feat and deserves to be better known

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i don't think this is true

although it would be a really cool story if it was

e:f;b

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

crazypenguin posted:

very few widget kits deal with very large contents in their text widgets very gracefully. almost certainly not with any formatting applied. they also usually don't make it straightforward to customize selection highlight/behaviour in the ways that you want for writing a modern IDE/editor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

didn't the pre-mozilla netscape try to use motif directly for everything outside the actual html view?

(it was never open source so i can't very well go and google it)

the initial Mozilla source release was of the Motif-burdened version, as it happens. but yeah, it tried to (and inside the HTML view). it also had poor support even for the CSS of the day. it was a simpler time.

that said, the Motif development experience, even when dealing with N forked vendor impls, was reportedly better than the GTK one for quite some time. I never did much at the Xfe level, though I did get involved in the original GTK port.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 219

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Breakfast All Day posted:

Let's depend on a bunch of btrfs poo poo for no good reason

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Breakfast All Day posted:

Did read yet. Pls spoiler the laffs.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Did read yet. Pls spoiler the laffs.

"219"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thought it was a minor number, like they leave out 0. So 0.219 doesn't seem as bad. Version 219 does not sell me. Just be dishonest like windows 7 or we. Or make it like modulo 10.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Thought it was a minor number, like they leave out 0. So 0.219 doesn't seem as bad. Version 219 does not sell me. Just be dishonest like windows 7 or we. Or make it like modulo 10.

doesn't systemd use a tonal numbering scheme?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:siren: :psyduck: :siren:

Luke Wolf, a KDE developer, argues that PC-BSD might become a serious desktop OS contender by year 2020, since Linux so far has failed to grasp any serious market share.

"PC-BSD on the other hand in fitting with the BSD mindset of holistic solutions is focused on developing desktop features and is moving rapidly to implement them."

so are all kde devs retarded fuckwits or is it just this one special pissflower, i mean going by the product they output id say all of them but

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and none of the plasma stuff works on a real tablet because it can't handle high-DPI

i remember that much unlike gnome dipshits which exist in purely hypothetical tablet/user space someone kde was dumb enough to actually try to make an kde tablet; not sure how that ended but i hope for tears and general misery

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 17, 2015

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
theres a "netbook" kde spin that uses a interface thats a bit better for touch than the full desktop, and i think it's automatically chosen if your vertical screen resolution is <= something like 600px

https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmanetbook/screenshots/netbook.png

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
and i read a bunch of kde mailing lists/newsgroups and nobody else has ever seemed to give a gently caress about BSD

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

this thread always makes me want to use a linux, then i install it and understand why i never have before

after fighting with nvidia drivers on fedora i have given up again

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i didn't have any issues installing the nvidia drivers with rpm fusion, what did you do and what happen?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

i didn't have any issues installing the nvidia drivers with rpm fusion, what did you do and what happen?

sudo sh nvidia-xx.x.xx.sh - who neds package management?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why would you need to install gfx drivers on a headless linux server?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Celexi posted:

i cant really remember now because it was a while ago, but i tried to install them using the package manager and it pulled down everything minus the 64bit poo poo, which i obvs needed so i had to go and find that myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cthulhoo posted:

:siren: :psyduck: :siren:

Luke Wolf, a KDE developer, argues that PC-BSD might become a serious desktop OS contender by year 2020, since Linux so far has failed to grasp any serious market share.

Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc all can run the same apps and UI so by definition one cannot really excel that far. Aside of critical missing pieces like running Microsoft Office well a lot of the problems come down to system integration and Linux always takes the lead due to more active development. Ironically BSD land will need a Systemd and pulse audio equivalent to improve their integration support.

If the existing user land integration worked the Unix desktop would have been completed 20+ years ago.