Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Addison is the definition of a place that is just kinda there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Dallas is to the United States as Addison is to Dallas

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I live in Far North Dallas very near Addison. I imagine it has a strong appeal for a certain kind of person who enjoys a certain lifestyle.

It doesn't do much for me other than the occasional happy hour with work friends which I rarely do more than once a month. :shrug:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
At least it isn't uptown.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is Addison Austin's Rollingwood or The Domain or both

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
shops at legacy is the domain

addison is this weird amalgam of urban downtown and suburban sprawl-- there are some high rises, concentrated around the highways, but there are also strip malls with humongous parking lots with not that big a nightlife

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 14, 2017

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do people actually live in Addison, or is it just an endless strip of restaurants and traffic?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody actually lives in Dallas. It's just restaurants and traffic. Where everyone is going (besides to restaurants) I have no idea.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

litany of gulps posted:

Do people actually live in Addison, or is it just an endless strip of restaurants and traffic?

Wikipedia posted:

Today, Addison is the result of explosive growth of business since the 1980s. Though Addison has only slightly over 13,000 residents, daytime population is estimated at over 100,000.

I don't know where those 13k residents are hiding but otherwise that quote seems accurate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy gently caress that's way worse than i expected

haha texas guangdong

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FBS posted:

I don't know where those 13k residents are hiding but otherwise that quote seems accurate.

My dad lived in Addison for a few years after divorcing my mom, in this little condo complex. He loved it because "everyone in Addison is single. In fact, there are no families with kids. We don't even pay school taxes because there aren't enough kids living here for us to be in DSID."

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

holy gently caress that's way worse than i expected

haha texas guangdong

If you're a certain type of white suburbanite, Addison does offer a lot. They have beerfests and weird cultural events that only suburban white people would attend. They do actually have some living space, mostly "luxury" apartments. If you eat out a lot, Addison is perfect.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/864180306634575873

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

So at what point is it okay to just off someone for poo poo like this.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's messed up.

Usually I would doubt their ability to just have a warning removed from a poison like that, but in Trump's America, I don't know anymore.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ReidRansom posted:

That's messed up.

Usually I would doubt their ability to just have a warning removed from a poison like that, but in Trump's America, I don't know anymore.

All it takes is some cattle to die and the stuff will get pulled from the market so fast.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like the proposal is pretty much dead at this point, reading further into the article. But Sid Miller is loving horrible.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/864233539579105287

What is wrong with these people

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I think it's the cedar.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Wacky, what's next, a murderer who thinks murder is a sin?

Only atheism and religious fundamentalism are sound foundations for an ethical system.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 15, 2017

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I do not want to play Sid Miller's Civilization. :colbert:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So apparently over the weekend the freedom nutters in the house had enough of their pet priorities not getting voted on (guns, abortion, and taxes of course) and decided to skip the hostage taking and instead just execute as many bills as they could.

https://twitter.com/MorganSmith/status/862831913542799361

The tribune seems to feel that they might have killed enough important stuff to force a special session.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 16, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

So apparently over the weekend the freedom nutters in the house had enough of their pet priorities not getting voted on (guns, abortion, and taxes of course) and decided to skip the hostage taking and instead just execute as many bills as they could.

https://twitter.com/MorganSmith/status/862831913542799361

The tribune seems to feel that they might have killed enough important stuff to force a special session.

Important to note that these were bills on the Local & Consent calendar which means noncontroversial bills bracketed to certain cities or communities and bills that everyone agreed before hand to quickly pass with no issues (including those freedom caucus idiots in committee votes on a lot of those). So it's not like a lot of this is really, super important, they just decided to be super petty because they are sore losers.

Opinions around my office and among the stakeholder groups I deal with are split on whether or not there will be a special session, but if we get one it's entirely due to the freedom caucus being stupid obstructionist morons in one way or another.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 16, 2017

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm pretty sure the sunset bill was killed, which includes txdot and the state bar. That would be bad for people who like roads or lawyers. Or, if you're like me - a literal highway lawyer, really bad.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm pretty sure the sunset bill was killed, which includes txdot and the state bar. That would be bad for people who like roads or lawyers. Or, if you're like me - a literal highway lawyer, really bad.

How hard is it to pass the BAR as a highway?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

There are separate Sunset bills for each agency and they all have Senate companions - the State Bar is SB 302 and TxDOT is SB 312.. Also, Sunset bills generally don't get set on an L&C Calendar because people want to discuss and propose amendments.

I don't see anything super huge on the L&C Calendar from 5/12, which are the bills referenced in the article, but certainly a lot of issues people wanted to pass.

What's kind of funny is that the Freedom Caucus actually left HB 4072 off their notice list on Thurs night 5/11, so if someone had bothered to care about a Dukes bill, one of the L&C bills maybe could've passed. :v:

edit: links

Nancy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 16, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Welp I guess there's going to be a new opening for the incumbent Democrat seat for state Senator in San Antonio:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/16/texas-sen-carlos-uresti-indicted-fraud-charges/

District 19 covers a massive amount of West Texas holy poo poo. Also a chunk of southern San Antonio and a north west corner of it as well. What are some decent options to replace him??

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 17, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

Welp I guess there's going to be a new opening for the incumbent Democrat seat for state Senator in San Antonio:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/16/texas-sen-carlos-uresti-indicted-fraud-charges/

District 19 covers a massive amount of WestTexas holy poo poo. Also a chunk of southern San Antonio and a north west corner of it as well. What are some decent options to replace him??

Congrats to...Julián Castro? LVP? TMF?

Uresti wouldn't have been up for reelection until 2020. Lol if he decides to pull a Dukes and not resign.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Good thing our company has moved away from direct TxDot work! :toot:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Good thing our company has moved away from direct TxDot work! :toot:

I work them very closely.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Jiro posted:

District 19 covers a massive amount of West Texas holy poo poo. Also a chunk of southern San Antonio and a north west corner of it as well. What are some decent options to replace him??

So he is accused of the exact same poo poo Ken Paxton is, but it is somehow not politically motivated since he has a D next to his name?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spaced God posted:

How hard is it to pass the BAR as a highway?

Ain't no rule saying a highway can't be a lawyer.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
So Patrick's grandstanding today pretty much saying that he's going to force a special session by holding a Sunset clean-up bill hostage unless the House passes SB 6 or similar dumbass bathroom legislation and SB 2 on property tax reform.

This has been one of the most frustrating Sessions for me to work because of this ongoing shitfight between Patrick and Straus; gonna be way mad if Patrick follows through on his threats and pushes my R&R another month away.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Those are also two reeeeallly loving big clients of ours and my company desperately needs those two organizations in particular to be flush with cash so they can keep spending it with us during their interminable conferences.

But no government spending is just throwing money in the trash, what's a million bucks of annual revenue lost to a Texas business, right? :rolleye:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I want the government to spend more and more money please.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the Texas Tribune has article about Paxton holding Congress hostage; he's not going to allow votes on the budget or sunset legislation until the House passes the bathroom bill and local tax hikes being voted on. I look forward to my state loosing millions in tourism and conventions because of an ignorant bill defining where people can take a piss.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Willie Tomg posted:

Those are also two reeeeallly loving big clients of ours and my company desperately needs those two organizations in particular to be flush with cash so they can keep spending it with us during their interminable conferences.

But no government spending is just throwing money in the trash, what's a million bucks of annual revenue lost to a Texas business, right? :rolleye:

As I noted above, there are Senate companions to all Sunset bills, no Sunset bills were killed when the Freedom Caucus nixed/stalled the House calendars on 5/11 and 5/12.

radical meme posted:

So the Texas Tribune has article about Paxton holding Congress hostage; he's not going to allow votes on the budget or sunset legislation until the House passes the bathroom bill and local tax hikes being voted on. I look forward to my state loosing millions in tourism and conventions because of an ignorant bill defining where people can take a piss.

Hey, Patrick said he would also accept the House passing "similar" legislation to the bathroom bill, AKA the "compromise" bill HB 2899 which preempts and eliminates all city protections for gender identity and sexual orientation statewide.

(Also, while our AG Ken Paxton is also a huge moron, Lt Gov Dan Patrick is the moron in question trying to coerce the House)

Nancy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 17, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gently caress. Looks like Uber got their bill through both chambers.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

gently caress. Looks like Uber got their bill through both chambers.

Yup, no Senate amendments for the House to dispute either so it's going straight to the Governor's desk. Seems like Uber found the proper avenue to pile all their lobbying money into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Well uber did get hosed in Europe in that they were classified as a taxi company and not a tech one. Plus their is that lawsuit with Google that is it going on their way either.

So they are not exactly getting everything they want.