Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I saved up a bunch of money so that I could move out of my small city and move to a bigger, nicer city to look for a better job in my field. My work is in high demand, and I have enough experience that I'm no longer trying to "break into" my industry. I could seriously move to any city in the US and live unemployed for 6 months or more without going broke.

I have no idea where to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Mzuri posted:

It's really hard for me to find a show on Netflix that I can half-watch while I browse SA on my iPad without feeling like I'm missing out on something :emo:

Parks and Recreation and The Office are both great low-investment shows.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

KingColliwog posted:

But it's not all perfect, I spent close to two of those week getting free healthcare when one of my sons was hospitalised and the room was pretty small. Just imagine, I had to sleep on a couch type thing! At least the oldest one could keep going to the almost free daycare!

My GOD. How did you even survive?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The bar I go to regularly updated and expanded their menu.

The good: it's varied and rather tasty. Don't have to have a burger most days for lunch, since it'd be a schlep and a half to get food from somewhere else.

The bad: the new stuff is huge. If I'm at average hunger levels, I'm eating a quarter of it before I'm stuffed. One day I hadn't eaten for most of the day beforehand, and I barely finished half of it. And being bar food, most of it doesn't refrigerate/nuke well.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Riatsala posted:

Parks and Recreation and The Office are both great low-investment shows.

Thanks, I haven’t seen more than one season of Parks and Rec.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
just bought 800 bux of airsoft oh nooooo it's sucking me back in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i crashed my tiny quadcopter drone into myself and the propellers scratched up my wrist fairly badly with a bunch of parallel slices and now if i wear a short sleeved shirt it's gonna look like i'm a cutter :saddowns:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Tiggum posted:

I'm not the one who organised the group and I don't know how the others would react to the suggestion or what their relationships with the shop owner are.

btw you should read this

http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I need a day off work to just have a loving day off, but I feel bad about calling out sick if I'm not sick. But my coworker was the rear end in a top hat who asked for pretty much the day before and after every holiday since July 1st and has gotten it off, when most of us were still learning how to use the new vacation system (and half the poo poo we requested didn't go through), and only two people are allowed to take off a day at the same time, so while he's done nothing wrong, it pisses me off that he got all the major days off when he brags he doesn't even need this job and is an overall rear end in a top hat.

gently caress, he forgot to pick up an order yesterday, so he called the sender and told them to put the order back in the delivery system, because he forgot to pick it up and had canceled it. I had to tell the sender that yes, they were charged twice for that because he didn't do his loving job.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've read it before and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be taking from it in this instance?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you find yourself unable to tell your friends "hey, the guy here is kind of an rear end in a top hat, how about looking for some other venue?" because you're afraid of ostracism, you are probably suffering from several of those GSFs and it's worth recognizing that they are fallacies and unhealthy

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mzuri posted:

Thanks, I haven’t seen more than one season of Parks and Rec.

The quality jump between season 1 and 2 is pretty huge.
They wanted to make Leslie a female Micheal Scott but then they shifted her into a hyper-competent but obsessive community leader.

Goddamn I love that show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

if you find yourself unable to tell your friends "hey, the guy here is kind of an rear end in a top hat, how about looking for some other venue?" because you're afraid of ostracism, you are probably suffering from several of those GSFs and it's worth recognizing that they are fallacies and unhealthy
I don't know them outside the context of this one fortnightly game (which only started a three months ago). It's not like these are good friends of mine who've decided to play this game at this shop instead of one of our houses for some reason. And for all I know they're all really good friends with the owner.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I found a couple old science fiction books in the recycling bin at work. Two copies of Analog from the early 60s in good shape, just "old" (well yeah) and "moldy" (that's not mold, that's acidic paper decaying). I have a feeling tomorrow I'll have to explain myself to a manager, because this isn't the first time I've gone digging through the recycling like a book-hungry possum, and I'm either going to get in trouble or I'm going to have to do my trashpicking for the library's benefit and not my specfic collection (or my wallet).

Our Friends of the Library sold today a 1st edition Venus on a Half-Shell for a quarter. :catstare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

queserasera posted:

Our Friends of the Library sold today a 1st edition Venus on a Half-Shell for a quarter. :catstare:
I'm surprised anyone paid that much for it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

i crashed my tiny quadcopter drone into myself and the propellers scratched up my wrist fairly badly with a bunch of parallel slices and now if i wear a short sleeved shirt it's gonna look like i'm a cutter :saddowns:

FLYYYYING INTO MY SKINNNNNNNNNN THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEALLLLLLLLL

Tiggum posted:

I joined a fortnightly D&D group at a local game shop a while back and it's pretty fun and the other players are mostly just ordinary people and not the sort of weirdos you normally associate with game shops. The shop owner stipulated that everyone had to buy something worth at least $5 each session to use the space, and that was perfectly fine with me. But since then he's gradually been hassling me more and more to spend more money to the point that I'm tempted to stop going.

He hasn't changed the rule, it's still $5 officially, but when I go to pay he'll make comments like "Oh, I suppose you'll be spending the absolute minimum again?" or "You know the whole point of having these games here is so people will support the shop."

gently caress, either raise the minimum purchase or stop whinging! I don't want any of the stuff you sell, I'm just here for the game, and I was happy to pay you for use of the space. I can tell you one thing, if I do want to buy any games I'm drat sure not going to buy them there. I kind of hope he goes out of business, really, because then I'd be able to suggest alternative venues to the rest of the group.
There is a local drone store near me that does "build nights" where anybody local can bring anything in, and the people who show up all take a stab at figuring the problem out, suggesting fixes, basically crowd sourcing info from people that are standing right in front of you. The owner allows you to bring in anything. Top of the line gear, or cloned chinese garbage, because if a part is actually broken, nobody ever hops online and orders the part from china, putting up with the month+ shipping time. They buy it right then and there from the store they're standing in. You don't have to make a pressure sale at all, it's just the logical choice if you want your helicopter up and running that weekend. Spending more than they would at an eastern warehouse site, yes, but you're guaranteed to get a good product because the guy refuses to stock poo poo, and you'll have it in 30 seconds once he goes to the back and gets it. Also the store traditionally closes at 6pm, but build nights stay open until 11pm-1am depending on who's there fixing what. So you can just stop by to make a late night impulse purchase.

I think it's the most clever thing I've seen as far as hobby stores go. People come to replace a $40 flight controller and end up buying a new $100 frame, or a few $25 motors, or some extra $50 batteries, just because they're already THERE and you can grab it and go. No shipping. Plus it's a neat way to meet "local" people in your hobby who live far enough away from you that you'd never just meet them in a park. But they're out there.

Sucks your hobby shop guy doesn't get it... but with drones there is so much poo poo breaking, so much new crap to buy all the time, maybe it's a bit more viable than D&D stuff? I'm not really steeped in that world.

bring back old gbs has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Nov 30, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The dumb "this website is bad and you shouldn't be looking at it" DNS filter in the hotel I'm staying at for work blocks some image hosting sites, and as a consequences there are some Let's Plays I can't read until tomorrow evening :(

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I wash my face twice a day, which involves using a face wash, cleansing lotion and then moisturiser all designed to help fight/prevent spots, along with the occasional facial scrub. I had terrible, terrible acne when I was a teenager, but because I've been able to keep up this routine (and don't wash my face with hand soap and let it get all dry any more, wtf kid me) my skin is the clearest it's been in years.

My FWP is that every month my period rolls around and I get a breakout that's more noticeable than it would otherwise be. If only the idea of wearing makeup didn't make me feel so uncomfortable, maybe then I could at least cover it up a bit. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mikl posted:

The dumb "this website is bad and you shouldn't be looking at it" DNS filter in the hotel I'm staying at for work blocks some image hosting sites, and as a consequences there are some Let's Plays I can't read until tomorrow evening :(

:argh: I feel your pain, so many people insist on using imgur despite lpix not being on anyone's blocklist and also being better in every possible way

Also I left my cheapshit headphones in Newark's airport and like they were only 15 bucks but the only headphones I have until I can hit an electronics store are my bulky ones for my PC, and they sound way better but it's sorta annoying walking the half hour to the bus to work with them on.

Another FWP: I SEVERELY underestimated what an Italian-American thanksgiving would be like, and I ended up gaining like five pounds while I was in the states

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My new fish are not doing well because my water is too hard, so they aren't eating, and short of installing an RO unit there isn't much I can do.

I did win an RO unit at a fish meeting but it doesn't connect to any of my faucets.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really want to see The Disaster Artist this weekend, but I sure as poo poo don't want to have to drive into the city (Chicago) to do it. Not to mention that none of the theaters in the city have parking attached to them (:wtc:), nor do any of them have assigned seating (:wtc: x2).

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Our Christmas tree is too large and we'll have to go get more decorations to cover it properly.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have solar powered xmas lights and it has been overcast the past few days, so the lights look dim and weak when the sun actually sets.

One of my snakes acted all hungry, killed the mouse, then refused to eat it, and instead used it as a body pillow.

My friend wants to pick up a story we were writing together....two years ago. I told her I'd be fine starting a new one, but she insists on this one, and just reading the last page, I can remember the vague plot, but there's like a dozen characters all doing things that were supposed to put them in spot X and it's been two loving years, man! Now she's upset and my free afternoon has been ruined. Same friend doesn't want to finish a story we were over 3/4 of the way through on this summer, because "she's done with it."

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I just got electrocuted by my fridge. Fancy power outlet did jack poo poo. gently caress Home Depot cause I'm 100% certain that's where they got this outlet from. And it has those test/reset buttons so supposedly it's good? My arm feels like crap.

Summary: FWP: people who make apartments look nice install garbage improperly so I almost die. Thanks dudes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm on my last day of a mini vacation so OF COURSE I was up until 4 am with my GF watching Top Model.
Thank god I don't have any plans because I am falling over tired.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I sneezed so hard while making GBS threads and using my phone that it got tossed around onto the bathroom floor. Now there's a tiny scratch on the cover...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I want to cancel my xm radio, but you can only do it over the phone and I have ~phone anxiety~.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Saint Freak posted:

I want to cancel my xm radio, but you can only do it over the phone and I have ~phone anxiety~.

Suck it up and do it. They harbor Nazis.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

Suck it up and do it. They harbor Nazis.

Yeah, that was why.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My man!
Or woman!
Or whatever you prefer!

I love living in a capitalist hellscape because we still have power via our money. It's not much but even Fox News freaks out when advertisers drop out due to public pressure.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
The shipping for my imgur secret Santa gift was $32, and I am full of regret for not just sending them something through amazon.

And I got a delivery notice for something Wednesday night, but now it's Friday and I don't have a package and I checked with the apartment office and they don't have it either arrrrgh and ups won't let me submit a claim yet because I need to wait until a day after the delivery... Wtf? It's been two days now?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I ordered a pan pizza at a place for lunch, and not only is it bigger than I anticipated, but it's also more like deep dish / stuffed in density.

It's basically a four-person pizza. Ugh.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I forgot to wash my face when I had a shower, so now I have to do it at the sink which takes longer because the face wash I use doesn't rinse off easy. This routine was so much easier when I had that special foam wash but it's so expensive for the tiny amount you get :saddowns:

Also I did a poo poo job of seasoning my couscous so I had to put a ton of dried sultanas in it for it to have any sort of flavour

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My building is old so I can't control the temperature in my apartment. They turn the heat down super low, to like 60, during the night, and in the morning (like 7-8 am) they turn it in FULL BLAST so it's like 100 degrees and I'm sweating for like 2 hours until it stabilizes to 75/76. It's so cold right now I'm loving shivering.

I edited the dictionary on my iPhone to change ducking to loving but it still auto changes it to ducking. Aaah wtf it just typed loving but in the previous paragraph it autocorrected to ducking. Duck you, iPhone. :wotwot:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Dec 9, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not being able to control the heater in your own apartment is a third world problem

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Mu Zeta posted:

Not being able to control the heater in your own apartment is a third world problem

For the past three weeks (and many times in the past) we've had our water shut off for 12+ hours a day once a week because they're replacing 75 year old pipes. I asked how to flush the toilet and he was like, oh just fill your bathtub with water and use a pot to pour water into the toilet, the gravity will flush it down! First of all I can't plug my tub, second of all I tried that method by filling up a pot @6 am before they started working on the pipes and all it did was swish around the toilet paper. I basically had a pit toilet from 6 am to 9 pm. I also had to use all my pots and large bowls and fill them with water for the day to make sure I had enough water for the day to do various tasks/drink, and I had to wash my hands in a soapy bowl.

I lived on a farm in Russia in the 80s where we frequently didn't have running water so I knew how to deal with it, I did the same poo poo back then; i.e. pit toilet and soap bowl and storing water so I already knew the process so at least there's the fact that it was familiar and I knew how to prepare?

I otherwise really like my building but yeah.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

poo poo, I grew up in a small town in Canada in the 80s and our water would regularly stop running in winter because the pipes would freeze and there was nothing we could do about it. This was before buying water in jugs was a thing so we had to fill empty 2L coke bottles at a neighbour's house, have sponge baths, and avoid using the toilet at home. One winter our furnace also broke down and we couldn't afford to fix it for a couple weeks.

And now I go live in the woods like an old-timey trapper for fun.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Thin Privilege posted:

I tried that method by filling up a pot @6 am before they started working on the pipes and all it did was swish around the toilet paper

You do know that you're supposed to use the bucket to fill the tank in the back, not just the bowl directly, right?

If you have the commercial style that's tank-less, then maybe you just filled the bowl too gently?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Sentient Data posted:

You do know that you're supposed to use the bucket to fill the tank in the back, not just the bowl directly, right?

If you have the commercial style that's tank-less, then maybe you just filled the bowl too gently?

I don't have a tank, I have an old style one. As directed by my buildings engineer, I poured approximately 2 gallons of water at one time into the toilet very fast and it went down a little but did nothing about the toilet paper. Hence the toilet paper mess. In any case I didn't have enough water to keep doing that so I had to go to the grocery store a few times to use a proper functioning toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Picnic Princess posted:

poo poo, I grew up in a small town in Canada in the 80s and our water would regularly stop running in winter because the pipes would freeze and there was nothing we could do about it. This was before buying water in jugs was a thing so we had to fill empty 2L coke bottles at a neighbour's house, have sponge baths, and avoid using the toilet at home. One winter our furnace also broke down and we couldn't afford to fix it for a couple weeks.

And now I go live in the woods like an old-timey trapper for fun.

I have good memories of being a kid and standing in a big bowl thing and getting a shower that way. Someone pouring water over my head. Ah memories :smith: