Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/NBCGoodGirls/status/993646870206472192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok I GUESS I’ll finish off season 1

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Glad it's renewed. Still a few eps behind, but it's a fun showm

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

YES.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Glad it's renewed. Still a few eps behind, but it's a fun showm

i haven't checked it out yet, but if it has your stamp of approval i shall

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Can't go wrong w/ Christina Hendricks imo.

I still wish the show were on cable or a bit more tightly serialized, so it could really go all the way, but the main three are excellent and the crime of the week aspect is still a lot of fun.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

esperterra posted:

gently caress PD

Wanna watch this.

I know this is watching tv entirely wrong, but something switched me off of Penny Dreadful when Frankenstein didn't tell the monster straight off "you're gonna wreck my poo poo, fine, funnily enough I've actually got bigger problems'. Hope to catch up on it someday.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's kind of funny that Kim Newman still refuses to watch PD as a matter of principle because he was apparently on the verge of getting an Anno Dracula TV series going just before it started and then it was aborted when PD started.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Barry reminds me a little of Breaking Bad in the sense that it goes to some really dark places. Bill Hader deserves an Emmy nod after this last episode.

Also I caught up on Silicon Valley. While I still like the show, I also feel like it has run its course. I can't remember the last time it made me laugh really hard (sucks because it is use to). I hope they do the smart thing and make next season the last season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jared's joke the week before was great.

"Sometimes you have to numb yourself. If you wanna work the corner, you can't fall in love every time you turn a trick. That's why you do the oxy."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CW Renewed 'The 100'
http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-100-renewed-season-6-the-cw-1202384545/

Also, oh good, I don't have to burn down TBS. Final Space has been renewed for a Season 2.
http://deadline.com/2018/05/final-space-renewed-season-2-tbs-olan-rogers-conan-obrien-1202383813/

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

nate fisher posted:

Also I caught up on Silicon Valley. While I still like the show, I also feel like it has run its course. I can't remember the last time it made me laugh really hard (sucks because it is use to). I hope they do the smart thing and make next season the last season.

That describes most comedy shows right now. I like them enough to keep watching, but while I still think they are funny, none of them makes me actually laugh all that much.
I also haven't really seen any interesting new ones come out in the last year or so, maybe I'm missing something?

The only exception to this is The Detour. Just finished it's third season in match and they still manage to catch me off-guard at least once per episode. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person watching it, so it will probably be cancelled.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Detour is good. This season was definitely a step up from 2, which I thought in turn was much weaker than the first.

Just realised Final Space is the Olan Rogers show and yeah ok why aren't I watching this weeks ago

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Santa Clarita Diet was just renewed for season 3.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You think Donald Glover ever talks to the other derrick comedy guys

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Great news. Season 2 was a nice improvement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My backlog is so daunting right now. I'm finishing Black Lightning then I have LoT, the Terror, the Expanse, when the finale of the Americans airs, I'm gonna do a full rewatch of that series, the rest of SCD, a whole ton of foreign dramas on Netflix like Dark and Rain, if we could just call a brief halt to the production of new and good TV shows I'd appreciate it.

Also, has anyone seen Rain yet?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I just had a hard drive die so my backlog just got reduced by a ton and it's kind of freeing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been deciding not to bother with quite a few things recently. Waco and Trust are two recent examples. I will eventually watch The Terror cos of the hype but everything about the setting is really unappealing to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve been deciding not to bother with quite a few things recently. Waco and Trust are two recent examples. I will eventually watch The Terror cos of the hype but everything about the setting is really unappealing to me.

It's really unappealing for the characters as well.

I'm waiting for the season to end to watch it, as is my wont, but the book did such an amazing job of communicating the crushing, bleakness of arctic exploration that you find yourself wanting to bundle up as you read it. Like these dudes would get iced in for literal years and have to live in an icebound ship with limited food, blistering cold and unimaginable boredom punctuated by blood curdling crisis, slowly losing pieces of their bodies to frost bite, teeth and hair to malnutrition. It's honestly one of the most harrowing books I've ever read. If you've ever read some account of a Mt. Everest ascent gone wrong, the Terror is like that but for 3 years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

I was kinda worried it wouldn’t be because I hadn’t heard anyone talking about it outside of here. That show is the rare comedy where I’ll laugh, like, really laugh, in a room by myself.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

If you've ever read some account of a Mt. Everest ascent gone wrong, the Terror is like that but for 3 years.

I've only seen two episodes and I'd say they do a fairly good job of showing how lovely things are but it's not quite like that yet, but that's still early on and I've read Into Thin Air and now I need to watch the rest of The Terror.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm just talking about the book, I haven't seen any of the show yet. It's gotten literally all A's (well one A-) from the AV Club so I'm super glad that the adaption of one of my favorite thrillers seems to be well received.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's kind of funny that Kim Newman still refuses to watch PD as a matter of principle because he was apparently on the verge of getting an Anno Dracula TV series going just before it started and then it was aborted when PD started.

Really? That's kind of funny, if it's true... I love Anno Dracula but I have a hard time thinking that 2014 was when some kind of adaptation of it was finally going to be greenlit after decades of him trying. Or, honestly, that it would be as good as Penny Dreadful was.

I did like the Anno Dracula comic from a year or two ago, so I hope he at least does more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Really? That's kind of funny, if it's true... I love Anno Dracula but I have a hard time thinking that 2014 was when some kind of adaptation of it was finally going to be greenlit after decades of him trying. Or, honestly, that it would be as good as Penny Dreadful was.

So he's said, anyway. As I understand it, he's sold the option and had it revert to him more than once over the past 25 years or so.

quote:

I did like the Anno Dracula comic from a year or two ago, so I hope he at least does more.

He did the most recent novel last year. There's another one out either next year or the year after.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Eezee posted:

That describes most comedy shows right now. I like them enough to keep watching, but while I still think they are funny, none of them makes me actually laugh all that much.
I also haven't really seen any interesting new ones come out in the last year or so, maybe I'm missing something?

True. They just lose their freshness over time. About new comedies I thought Future Man was the funniest thing I have seen in years, and Corey Wolf Hart was the best new character of 2017.

Also NoHo Hank from Barry is currently in the lead for best new character of 2018. He should have gotten more screen time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nate fisher posted:

True. They just lose their freshness over time. About new comedies I thought Future Man was the funniest thing I have seen in years, and Corey Wolf Hart was the best new character of 2017.

Also NoHo Hank from Barry is currently in the lead for best new character of 2018. He should have gotten more screen time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The shows that make me laugh the hardest right now are Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Brockmire. Superstore is also funny as hell a lot of the time. I do wish there was more comedy that provoked a stronger reaction in me, but ah well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/993529557847363584

Uh, no thanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Imagine if Gervais was self-aware enough for this to be a joke.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fuckin' yikes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Getting made fun of on twitter for bad jokes really does a number on these guys

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Imagine if Gervais was self-aware enough for this to be a joke.

He is very good at punishing the world, I'll give him that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

DO A FLIP!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I mean, this concept, but with each episode ending with the offended party kicking the poo poo out of him could actually be ok?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 8, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

lelandjs posted:

I mean, this concept, but with each episode ending with the offended party kicking the poo poo out of him could actually be ok?

I could get behind that idea, yeah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

I do this regularly. I collect shows on my DVR intending to get through, and as the DVR fills and my backlog grows I just weed out what I'm really interested and what I'm not. I ditched Waco. I just ditched Shoot the Messenger and Killing Zoe. I held onto Terror, Hap and Leonard, Legion, and Imposters. Sometimes I ditch stuff I probably shouldn't have like Better Call Saul S3 but there's just so much stuff on these days you gotta prune.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

The CEO of Nestle wants to control South America's water supply and doesn't believe water is a basic human right but I'm still eating that yummy kit kat bar.

I wish Hershey's version of Kit Kats wasn't so loving bad, because god drat do I love a good Kit Kat.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
turn left ryan noooo

https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/993681895929073665?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012