Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

can't say i expected that, to be honest, but it's not unwelcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh wait, do you have to pay for Xbox Live to play this in MP? Suddenly this makes a lot more sense

e: also nice system requirements

MÍNIMO:
Requiere un procesador y un sistema operativo de 64 bits
SO: Microsoft Windows
Red: Conexión de banda ancha a Internet

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Very surprised that Microsoft is releasing their games on the Steam store, I thought they where betting hard on their own store and would release any future game exclusively on it.

But then again, a lot of Microsofts decisions as of late is kind of head scratching.

Convex posted:

Oh wait, do you have to pay for Xbox Live to play this in MP? Suddenly this makes a lot more sense

e: also nice system requirements

MÍNIMO:
Requiere un procesador y un sistema operativo de 64 bits
SO: Microsoft Windows
Red: Conexión de banda ancha a Internet

Haha ok, yeah, now it makes more sense.

It's in English for me.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 12, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

In older-than-you'd-like-to-admit FPS news, Halo: The Master Chief Collection has just been announced for PC, both on Microsoft Store and Steam. Ruffian Games and Splash Damage are taking charge on the port. Each game will roll out over time rather than getting dumped out at once. Halo Reach will be the first release, which will also be coming to the Xbox One version. More info at SXSW.

I've been waiting for this for literal years. :toot:

The gradual rollout sounds silly, though, especially releasing Reach first (going from Reach to Halo 1 is going to feel pretty dire).

Convex posted:

I'm not seeing anything that says that, just news that it's all free for Game Pass people.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm not seeing anything that says that, just news that it's all free for Game Pass people.

It says "Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live" which I don't remember seeing for anything on Steam before

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
GFWL 2.0 here we go again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

It says "Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live" which I don't remember seeing for anything on Steam before

Doesn't necessarily mean Gold, though. Minecraft for any platform requires XBL for online play, but only gold if you're playing on XB1.

In other FPS news, Gearbox just tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/GearboxOfficial/status/1105543983516639232?s=19

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Let's hope it flops and Gearbox shuts down soon after. They have to atone for their sins (which are Opposing Force and Blue Shift being garbage).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Doesn't necessarily mean Gold, though. Minecraft for any platform requires XBL for online play, but only gold if you're playing on XB1.

In other FPS news, Gearbox just tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/GearboxOfficial/status/1105543983516639232?s=19

Huh, cool. Maybe the leveling curve will be smoother this time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lambert posted:

Let's hope it flops and Gearbox shuts down soon after. They have to atone for their sins (which are Opposing Force and Blue Shift being garbage).

Also Randy Pitchford allegedy being a pedophile...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Convex posted:

That just means it needs an Xbox Live account, which is free. Xbox Live Gold is the thing you need to pay for to get access to multiplayer on consoles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the word you're looking for is "magician."

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

More likely it's someone trying to make hay by equating "under 21 but over 18" to "underage" in his lawsuit. Randy Pitchford may not be the most likable person, but that lawsuit seems way too bizarre.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

That just means it needs an Xbox Live account, which is free. Xbox Live Gold is the thing you need to pay for to get access to multiplayer on consoles.

Ah ok, I got that mixed up :)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I am legitimately stoked for the Master Chief collection because I have never played a single Halo game for longer than 10 minutes (despite being fairly interested in the idea of them), and while I always figured I might end up with an Xbox console one day, that day never happened. I am super excited to have 5 or 6 games in a single package to play start to finish on PC.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I am legitimately stoked for the Master Chief collection because I have never played a single Halo game for longer than 10 minutes (despite being fairly interested in the idea of them), and while I always figured I might end up with an Xbox console one day, that day never happened. I am super excited to have 5 or 6 games in a single package to play start to finish on PC.

I'm decidedly nonplussed by the idea because while I played & loved the first Halo (and most of the second, less so, at a friend's house) at launch, every PC incarnation I've tried has just felt bad because the floaty, slow controls that make them so much fun to play with a controller just don't translate to mouse. Temper your expectations, maybe? I don't know. Halo may be another 20 year old FPS, but it's diametrically opposed to the sort of poo poo we glorify in this thread.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Kamrat posted:

Very surprised that Microsoft is releasing their games on the Steam store, I thought they where betting hard on their own store and would release any future game exclusively on it.

They have dropped games of theirs on Steam. There's Halo Wars 1, Sunset Overdrive, and those Halo top-down shooters, to name a few. Though I really am surprised they did this, but they seem to want to be garnering some respect from gamers lately.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

I'm decidedly nonplussed by the idea because while I played & loved the first Halo (and most of the second, less so, at a friend's house) at launch, every PC incarnation I've tried has just felt bad because the floaty, slow controls that make them so much fun to play with a controller just don't translate to mouse. Temper your expectations, maybe? I don't know. Halo may be another 20 year old FPS, but it's diametrically opposed to the sort of poo poo we glorify in this thread.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar enough with the games and their soft/floaty handling. I guess I should mention that I played a fair amount of local multiplayer Halo games with friends over the years--just barely ever touched the single player/co-op elements.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

treat posted:

the floaty jumps give you more time to jump in the air whilst firing two guns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s 2019, play them with a controller connected to your PC

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hell, they even make a new version of the duke for full nostalgia:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Duke-Wired-Controller-Windows-Black/dp/B079ZPCCLM

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always bet on Duke! Though I didn't have that hamburger controller, had the S one, got xbox for Ninja Gaiden. Halo 3 is one I dug, though I never tried Reach's campaign, maybe I could still dig that as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reach is probably the best overall campaign in the series and worth playing for the final mission alone which is why theyre planning to launch with that on PC as the others get tested.

Id say Halo in 2001 is a good general benchmark for split from classic FPS because after Halo basically every big budget FPS had some form of regenerating health and encounter design across the genre changed to match the new philosophy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

IDK about Halo 2 (I'd heard the mouselook in that was garbage because it was emulating a right analog stick instead of being proper mouselook), but Halo CE on PC felt fine. Maybe a little easy, since you could headshot with the pistol basically on command, but that's what Skulls are for I guess.

The low-grav jumps never really bothered me for some reason. I suppose playing a lot of UT2004 with the low-grav mutator on accustomed me to such play, but then I was used to Halo's physics well before I got into UT.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

IDK about Halo 2 (I'd heard the mouselook in that was garbage because it was emulating a right analog stick instead of being proper mouselook), but Halo CE on PC felt fine. Maybe a little easy, since you could headshot with the pistol basically on command, but that's what Skulls are for I guess.

The low-grav jumps never really bothered me for some reason. I suppose playing a lot of UT2004 with the low-grav mutator on accustomed me to such play, but then I was used to Halo's physics well before I got into UT.

I was gonna say, if you've played more than a little UT'99/2k4 with various mutators, the "floatiness" of Halo might not feel so foreign. I can't really tell you how many hours of maps like low-grav Facing Worlds and Morpheus I played when I was in high school. :hellyeah:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was gonna say, if you've played more than a little UT'99/2k4 with various mutators, the "floatiness" of Halo might not feel so foreign. I can't really tell you how many hours of maps like low-grav Facing Worlds and Morpheus I played when I was in high school. :hellyeah:

Low grav, dual Enforcer only DM-Morpheus took up a LOT of my time

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Heavy Metal posted:

hamburger controller

This is one I haven't heard before

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 13, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

treat posted:

The shooting in Destiny 2 feels fine with mouse and keyboard (when bad MMO design elements don't intervene to make enemies giant bullet sponges), and it's largely similar to the way Halo 3 and onwards' shooting feels. Assuming they don't botch the PC port (Splash Damage is on it so it'll probably feel fine), I wouldn't worry about the shooting feeling bad unless you are literally unable to enjoy any FPS that isn't Doom.

Personally, the main draw for me is that no one except Bungie really does that very "clean" sci-fi look that the Halo games have, so even if the shooting didn't feel great I'd still snap this up to play through the series.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 13, 2019

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Plan Z posted:

They have dropped games of theirs on Steam. There's Halo Wars 1, Sunset Overdrive, and those Halo top-down shooters, to name a few. Though I really am surprised they did this, but they seem to want to be garnering some respect from gamers lately.

I see, I haven't been paying attention to Steam or Microsoft as of late so I was under the impression that they where releasing exclusively on their own store and Halo was the first in a long while.

I should've checked before posting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kamrat posted:

I see, I haven't been paying attention to Steam or Microsoft as of late so I was under the impression that they where releasing exclusively on their own store and Halo was the first in a long while.

I should've checked before posting.
A lot of their banner Xbox games are Windows Store exclusive under their cross-platform "Play Anywhere" initiative, but they also put games on Steam. Usually ports of older games or stuff that's getting a physical retail release. It's a fairly inconsistent approach that makes everything a surprise!

I saw someone on another forum suggesting this might be a bit of a middle finger to Epic's exclusivity deals stealing away a couple of Play Anywhere games like Ashen. I doubt business deals this large are ever made entirely out of spite, but it probably had some form of minor influence on who to make deals with (or who not to).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I think the only way to ever make a good movie is to embrace its roots and shamelessly copy Evil Dead. First act, scientists unleash hell while a bunch of space marines are goofing off. Second act, they try to get to a location and get killed off one by one until only the nervous new guy is left. Third act, he finally nuts up, gets a chainsaw and starts chopping demons to bits while learning about the power of one-liners.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm conflicted about the Halo series getting a re-release on Steam. On one hand that means now I dont have to buy a console I give no shits about if I ever wanted to play Halo but on the other hand Halo is partially responsible for killing classic style FPS and I despise the series for introducing most of the common modern FPS tropes.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 13, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wafflemoose posted:

I'm conflicted about the Halo series getting a re-release on Steam. On one hand that means now I dont have to buy a console I give no shits about, but on the other Halo is partially responsible for killing classic style FPS and I despise the series for including most of the common modern FPS tropes.

It depends what you mean classic-style but for me Half-Life 1 is the death of classic single player FPS games.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

At least in Half Life you can carry all the guns, eat medkits for health, and run like a cheetah on crack.

Maybe it changed the formula a little bit but I still consider Half-Life a classic FPS.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 13, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wonder if the Halo Collection will come out for Switch. MS seems to love Nintendo lately, and those games can be scaled down if necessary.

That'd be a day 1 purchase, for sure.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

wafflemoose posted:

I'm conflicted about the Halo series getting a re-release on Steam. On one hand that means now I dont have to buy a console I give no shits about if I ever wanted to play Halo but on the other hand Halo is partially responsible for killing classic style FPS and I despise the series for introducing most of the common modern FPS tropes.

I only ever played the first game, but I played it a lot, and thought it had an absolutely fantastic first and last level bookending a tedious, repetitive slog of a game. It really felt like they ran out of time and/or money and ended up frantically copy-pasting large chunks of each level and shuffling props around, and when that wasn't enough to pad out the game had you replay some of the levels backwards (Two Betrayals) and/or with different enemies (Keyes).

The other games never got PC ports (ok, I guess 2 did, but it was Vista-only at a time when my only windows machine was running XP), so I never got around to playing this. I guess how excited I am about this largely depends on whether the later games owe more to levels like Pillar of Autumn, The Silent Cartographer, and The Maw, or to Assault on the Control Room, Truth and Reconciliation, and The Library.

wafflemoose posted:

At least in Half Life you can carry all the guns, eat medkits for health, and run like a cheetah on crack.

Maybe it changed the formula a little bit but I still consider Half-Life a classic FPS.

Depends on which parts of the formula you find objectionable, I think. Half-Life introduced (or at least popularized) "corridor shooter" style level design, where the entire game is a set, linear path taking you through a fixed series of challenges and set-pieces. Halo did the same for slow movement speed, regenerating health/shields, and the two-weapon limit (while having generally the same philosophy of level design as Half-Life, only with more copy-pasting of identical rooms).

Personally, I would rather have exploratory level design with Halo-style combat and physics than vice versa, but there's cases to be made for either of them (or both in conjunction) to be "the death of the classic FPS".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder if the Halo Collection will come out for Switch.

No.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The later Halo games are at least better about the repetition- there aren't any places where you go through the same level backwards or six mostly identical rooms in a row. Arguably none of them ever hit the heights of Halo 1 again, but they don't hit the lows either.

Except Halo 4, which was made by a new studio and is definitely a cut below the rest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Halo 3 does the “repeat level backwards but now it’s full of flood poo poo” trick once, and it does it immediately after the (much better) original level, which is worse.

Come to think of it Halo 2 does it as well, Gravemind/High Charity. One could say it’s a series staple to make you do a flood themed take two of some level at some point. Halo 1’s take on it is still the best though. Two Betrayals is an awesome level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

wafflemoose posted:

Nah, you really can't blame Halo for that. I feel like it's the wrong target. The things that set that game apart from classic shooters are just the sort of things that make it a good console shooter, making it comfortable to play without a mouse and keyboard. Really, I feel like Halo is more like classic shooters than the other usual modern examples because it still has the fondness for creative and interesting weapons, enemies and environments. The military shooter epidemic is the real issue, they just all happen to be console shooters as well so they ape Halo's example. And this is all coming from someone who was never that into Halo.