Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BarbarianElephant posted:

But not, like, vital surgery or whatever. A face-lift or double-chin tightening.

oh man he's going to have whatever weird procedure he does to his hair done

it's just stupid enough to possibly be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would like to be very clear here in case anyone is confused about my previous posts: I do not feel bad for Sean Spicer at all.

Him being the put-upon Jerry Gergich of Trump's administration is just funny. Picturing him do the sad Charlie Brown walk to his office when Trump says "Go to your room! No Pope visits for you, young man!" is beyond priceless: it's..... spiceless.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

NRA must be thrilled

The Mooch sold out all his other policies when he switched from Democrat to Trumpist. I'm sure Gun Safety will follow.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
I don't feel bad for him, I just think we're still in the 'point and laugh' stage of this.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 21, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

theflyingorc posted:

oh man he's going to have whatever weird procedure he does to his hair done

it's just stupid enough to possibly be true

Trump is the only person I would respect a little more if they just got a wig.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The worst thing about this thread is the number of people that have no idea what "over/under" means.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eyebeem posted:

The worst thing about this thread is the number of people that have no idea what "over/under" means.

what's the over/under on a person knowing what it means

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

what's the over/under on a person knowing what it means

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I don't think this is SNL's problem to solve, but I do kind of think that turning someone into a beloved character on that show softens them a bit. Nobody's going to suddenly think he's good at his job because he's ridiculed of course, but I think ridicule can kind of end up masking someone's bad intentions. Trump's probably benefited from this too, though not from SNL so much as the general perception that he's a moron rather than a monster.

30 Rock had an entire episode about this that was basically Tina Fey apologizing for her Palin impression.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
RIP in Piss, Spicey. You were a funny, funny punching bag.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spicer is clearly weak and pathetic so we expect him to be pathetic and weak in the face of evil. McCain is clearly not entirely a weak or pathetic person but yet is very weak and pathetic in the face of evil today.

It makes sense that someone failing to utilize their strengths in the face of evil draws more ire than a weak wiggly worm being pathetic.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

GOOCHY posted:

Spicer is not the put upon, good guy that some of you folks wish he is. Just because he got ran roughshod by Donald Trump on a daily basis doesn't mean that he's a sympathetic character in all of this.

He's a complete prick and the 'poor spicey ' thing is patronising mocking.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Bush definitely benefitted from this. SNL's buffoon president version of him was really likable.

I'm not sure Trump gets the same. They're really, really brutal on him, and don't show any positive aspects at all that I've seen.

I don't blame SNL for that perception of Trump, though having him host obviously didn't help. In general though I kind of think satire has lost its ability to be dangerous to power because decades of satire and cynicism in general have torn down any perception that these people are better than anyone else. Nobody's under any impression that the emperor is wearing clothes, so pointing out that he's naked doesn't do any good. When I talk to Trump voters, essentially none of them have anything good to say about him--they often express embarrassment. That embarrassment is immediately followed by "Hillary Clinton would have done something just as bad though."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

eyebeem posted:

Perhaps language has evolved such that the expression essentially just means "What's the likelihood?" now, for obvious and completely understandable reasons, eyebeem.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WampaLord posted:

30 Rock had an entire episode about this that was basically Tina Fey apologizing for her Palin impression.

Do you remember which one that is? I watched the whole series at the time, but don't remember that specifically, and I'd like to watch that again if you recall.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Perhaps language has evolved such that the expression essentially just means "What's the likelihood?" now, for obvious and completely understandable reasons, eyebeem.

No, gently caress that, words mean things, you can't go changing definitions on a whim.

Sinteres posted:

Do you remember which one that is? I watched the whole series at the time, but don't remember that specifically, and I'd like to watch that again if you recall.

"Governor Dunston" Season 7 Episode 2

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JailTrump posted:

You guys sure feel bad for Spicer but not McCain...

We are mocking the poo poo out of Spicer and it has never stopped from the first moment he stepped up to the podium.

McCain can go to hell.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is every event that happens going to derail into "what level of sympathy is right when a bad thing happens to a bad person", it's been the core of like 3 derails in the past week.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I'm sure someone is going to :ironicat: me about this, but a lot of people really like to create a head canon about public figures in which they can't be so bad after all once you get to know them. Instead of seeing Spicer as a groveling piece of poo poo who sold his soul for scraps at the table, people start to view him as a sympathetic punching bag who's trying his best in a world of insanity.

This is a real thing that happens all the time in media and elsewhere: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWoobie

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/888456585642737664

FAKE NEWS

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-oM21Td-JE

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WampaLord posted:

No, gently caress that, words mean things, you can't go changing definitions on a whim.

I'm going to use an intransitive verb and use a direct object, and there's nothing you can do about it, because it's a perfectly cromulent way to speak now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

That's literally what's happening irregardless of what you think and there ain't anything you can do about it. Shook?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/tinyrevolution/status/888456656757157888

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

How presidential.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

WampaLord posted:

"Whim" means "trinket" so I'm not sure what you're saying

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Trabisnikof posted:

That's literally what's happening irregardless of what you think and there ain't anything you can do about it. Shook?

He could probably care less.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

fsif posted:

He probably signed an NDA and 2.5.

Are government employees allowed to sign NDA's when they are working for the public?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao what the gently caress

are they going to go around in a circle saying nice things about Trump?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

theflyingorc posted:

ok so i tried to think of what a conspiracy theorist would say about Trump's 3 week absence

I came up with "secret surgery"

and the more I think about it the less crazy it sounds

My fanfic/joke I been wanting to happen for months, the hand biglying surgery.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

empty whippet box posted:

There's no chance it's anything other than that

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

ok so i tried to think of what a conspiracy theorist would say about Trump's 3 week absence

I came up with "secret surgery"

and the more I think about it the less crazy it sounds

That's basically a plot point in one of the Phoenix Wright games.

What I'm trying to say is your theory is completely plausible.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

empty whippet box posted:

Yup. Huge Trump circle jerk.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The hallmark of a professional administration is when their propaganda arm is perpetually over an hour late.

What the gently caress are they even doing to be this late? They never actually have an answer to anything. It's like they go eat, then just gently caress around in the office until they feel like sauntering out.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Maybe tonight will be the start of Hannity's heel turn

Or Spicer will slap Mooch like Lawler did to Andy Kaufman

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trasson posted:

That's basically a plot point in one of the Phoenix Wright games.

What I'm trying to say is your theory is completely plausible.

It was a plot point in glover cleveland's jaw.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

The hallmark of a professional administration is when their propaganda arm is perpetually over an hour late.

What the gently caress are they even doing to be this late? They never actually have an answer to anything. It's like they go eat, then just gently caress around in the office until they feel like sauntering out.

It's a classic power play. They make you wait to prove you need them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

LaserShark posted:

I regret Spicey leaving only because it means we're left with ShuckS, who is a lot less fun.

:stare:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Saying "I haven't spoken with the President on that yet" only works for specific period of time so they need to carefully manage when the begin the briefing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ya

its real

• Locked thread