Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

theultimo posted:

It's a cd key reseller. You have no recourse if anything happens.

Oh ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Unrelated to that, I got Wolfenstein The New Order and this poo poo is 40GB! Geez louise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Is Astebreed any good?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Playing Alien Isolation during a bright summer day when my monitor is super reflective doesn't work well at all. The game is really cool though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Is Astebreed any good?

I've only played a bit of it, but it seems like a pretty good shooter for its price.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Unrelated to that, I got Wolfenstein The New Order and this poo poo is 40GB! Geez louise.

Yeah, megatextures aren't really worth the ridiculous size they take up. I heard that Rage's textures ran into the terabytes before they compressed them down for retail.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm kind of hoping they come up with a way to get rid of bundle trash in a productive way. Like, pick out ten games to remove from your library, the keys get donated to some charity or whatever, and you get some random game you haven't owned before.

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

Fun Times! posted:

"No" what? Never used it? Or it's a scam? When I googled about the site I couldn't find any negative experiences. I'm holding off on buying from them because it seems too good to be true, but I'd like to hear about experiences or what people have reported.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.cdkeys.com

I've been used them a couple of times over the last few years, never any problems. As CD key resellers go they're probably safer than most.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Xander77 posted:

reasons why Westerado is not recommended

My experience with it ended at the tutorial, when the game consistently refused to let me shoot the dying brother and I could not advance after multiple attempts at the game. Take that as you will.

Waroduce posted:

E: also which farcrys are worth it

Having played all of them, 2, Blood Dragon, and 4. 3 was okay but I personally think 4 worked the newer gameplay formula better so if it came down to a choice between the two I'd go with FC4.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Having played all of them, 2, Blood Dragon, and 4. 3 was okay but I personally think 4 worked the newer gameplay formula better so if it came down to a choice between the two I'd go with FC4.

3 is $7.49 and 4 is $29.99. Is 4 so superior that it's worth almost four times the cost of 3?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone run into a bug in Valkyria Chronicles while aiming? Making slight joystick motions to the left or down result in aiming right and up, as if it was inverted. But moving the joystick further results in aiming in the correct directions. Up and right act as they should and are never inverted. I don't have this problem in any other games, and it doesn't affect movement or my regular camera control. It actually makes it pretty frustrating to fine-tune my aim.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fun Times! posted:

3 is $7.49 and 4 is $29.99. Is 4 so superior that it's worth almost four times the cost of 3?

No, so the obvious answer is get 3 now and then 4 during the winter sale.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

cheesetriangles posted:

Playing Alien Isolation during a bright summer day when my monitor is super reflective doesn't work well at all. The game is really cool though.

Go inside you fool!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Out of curiosity, how in the DLC in the Last Light game? I almost regret not playing it, and the season pass is 5 bucks. I know I could have bought the redux for $6.24 when the sale first started, but I hadn't thought about trying out the DLC until just now.

Is the DLC fun?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
My clicker level is 3300 wtf

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I get afternoon sun on my computer area.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

theultimo posted:

My clicker level is 3300 wtf

I guess a lot of people in your game are actually playing instead of just idling like sane people

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

New Leaf posted:

I really hope they're placeholders until he gets a real model in place. They move exactly like you'd expect them to- like clay models.

Luckily, that's next on their roadmap:

" New Humanoid Models

Coming soon will be the brand new humanoid models. These models will primarily replace the pirates, inn keepers, merchants, and other human type npc's. We think the new models look great and will fit the theme of Salt perfectly. They will also have improved and new animations to add entirely new dynamics and life to the AI. "

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just reinstalled the Salt demo; I forgot it's a crafting game where you need wood and logs for stuff, but can't chop down trees. :confused:

The demo is so bad. I gave the demo a shot and it was miserable, all the islands were tiny, there's nothing to encounter but deer and pirates, you are hella resource starved, etc. I was ready to blow it off and saw a thread somewhere where someone who had played the demo and then bought the game was talking about how the demo undersells it.

Of course, the rest of the posters were outraged that he would dare besmirch a demo that none of us deserve, of course it's reasonably to lock the actual boat in the demo behind a resource that's going to take you like twelve hours of grinding to get. What, do you expect it to show you what the actual game part is like?

edit: I ended up buying it and that dude was right, game's pretty and it's fun to sail around and see weird stuff, but the demo only shows the worst parts. It doesn't even show off different island types or random island generation.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 14, 2015

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Is the Steam Inventory Helper extension's quick card buying interface not working for anyone else? It won't work for me in any browser or even after reinstallation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fun Times! posted:

Nuuvem remains the best way to get cheaper games on the up and up. The real is almost 1/3 the value of the American dollar.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just finished Ori and the Blind Forest and I loved it, it was short but beautiful. Are there any more games like that that just go for that total aesthetic thing like Ori and Child of Light?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

Out of curiosity, how in the DLC in the Last Light game? I almost regret not playing it, and the season pass is 5 bucks. I know I could have bought the redux for $6.24 when the sale first started, but I hadn't thought about trying out the DLC until just now.

Is the DLC fun?

Entirely skippable.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

after a refund is accepted how long are funds pending before they hit my wallet? 7 days seems extreme to flip a few bits in my steam funny money ledger

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Awesome! posted:

after a refund is accepted how long are funds pending before they hit my wallet? 7 days seems extreme to flip a few bits in my steam funny money ledger

I think that's the point. It's long enough to dissuade people from refunding at the drop of a hat since it isn't instant gratification.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Awesome! posted:

I got credit back after 4 days. It's probably queue based and not strictly a discouragement measure.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Massive Chalice trip report. Writing this because the goon that gifted it to me from the Gift Train asked to know how it is. That, and I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about it here.

Massive Chalice is a turn-based strategy game with a larger base building and resource management metagame that encompasses the smaller skirmishes. It's very much like the modern XCOM games given a turn through the Double Fine tumbler. It really is the Double Fine entry to the strategy genre, like Broken Age was for adventure games and Costume Quest was for RPGs. It has crisp graphics that look cel-shaded but might not be, I'm not an expert. The writing is witty and consists solely (so far) of two voices, a older male who leans towards wisdom and a younger female who seeks combat. These voices come from either side of the Massive Chalice, much like the optical illusion that shows a vase or two faces in silhouette, like this:

Okay, so everything has the Double Fine shine, where things are well written and everything looks like it's come from a coloring book. The actual gameplay doesn't quite reach the bar set by XCOM, but it comes very close. Base building and researching equipment and upgrades are all handled by the chalice, which for story reasons can only handle one task at a time. There are no resources like wood or gold, but everything takes time. And once things like keeps are built, you assign your heroes to them. So the resources are time and heroes. Heroes gain experience in battle and learn skills, and they also have quirks like being a slow learner or being easily inspired. They affect the characters in battle and they can be passed down to the offspring. The idea is that you build a keep, place a hero as Regent and another as their partner, and over time they (likely) produce offspring. Their offspring retains their traits and are also the source of the hybrid classes. If a Regent dies you can appoint one of their children to their place, and if you want to get super creepy you can assign a 2 year old as Regent and a 47 year old as their partner. I don't know if the game gives you some recognition for doing so, but you can also put a kid on the throne without a partner.

Combat. You choose five heroes, their weapon, armor and items, and send them to one of two locations. Whichever spot you don't help gets slightly more overrun; three strikes and it's out. Heroes are dropped into battle in pre-assigned places and there's no way to move them around before the battle. Arenas look good. I've only been in three fights so far, so there's a lot left for me to discover. There is no overwatch at the early levels, and there is no full-cover/partial-cover options like in XCOM so defensive options are kind of limited to staying out of range or tanking hits. The basic classes are Alchemists (thrown explosives, support), Rangers (crossbows, invisibility), and Caberjacks (knockback, charge). Caberjacks use logs as weapons. As mentioned you create hybrids through breeding, so an Alchemist and a Caberjack make a Blastcapper(?) with an explosive log(!). Each class has one skill at level two, then three tiers of two skills capped with one last skill for the elite characters. I lost a Caberjack to a Alchemist's explosive that went off-target, which was a perfect :xcom: moment. Death is permanent, and heroes can die of old age, so it's not as easy to get attached to individual heroes as it was in XCOM. Assigning people to Keeps or to the vows of celibacy that the researchers take pull them out of the available hero pile. Babies that reach 15 years old are turned in for service and you can spend some time looking for heroes if you run low.

All in all I think it's really good, especially since I didn't know it was by Double Fine and I was smiling from the dialogue within the first few minutes. The base building is stripped down but simplification's not necessarily a bad thing, and combat would be a little nicer if I could place heroes before starting a battle. My last fight wound up being against a horde (like 10) of a specific enemy type that rushed heroes and exploded into corrosive liquid as an attack or when killed. I had assigned my only Ranger to a keep right before the battle, so I had a lot of melee units standing around in puddles that sapped their health. It didn't help that my unit started surrounded by the enemy rather than being on one side moving forward. And I wouldn't mind having a counter attack option, although it's nice that the enemy can't counter either (barring death effects).

I hope that helps people understand Massive Chalice a little better.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Is the Deluxe Edition content for FarCry3 worth the extra $2.50?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Is the Deluxe Edition content for FarCry3 worth the extra $2.50?

No. It's just a couple extra missions.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Mokinokaro posted:

No. It's just a couple extra missions.

And IIRC you can unlock them with some pretty easy file fuckery anyway.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

For the first DoW is it worth grabbing Soulstorm with the whole pack? I remember when it came out the new campaign was broken/buggy compared to the one prior. Did that ever get fixed?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Canopus250 posted:

For the first DoW is it worth grabbing Soulstorm with the whole pack? I remember when it came out the new campaign was broken/buggy compared to the one prior. Did that ever get fixed?

It did get a couple of patches. Soulstorm's still a bit janky but it's worth picking up now, especially if you're going to use mods.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Soulstorm is loving awful, don't get it.

The new races are garbage, the VOs are awful, the new units are terrible, and it's just a worse much jankier Dark Crusade overall.

Buuuuut, if you're going to play mods it's unfortunately necessary.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I don't know, I found the implementation of the Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle to be hilarious, if anything. To me, Soulstorm came off more as a "so bad it's good" expansion. I just wish they added Tyranids.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
So I took the advice of many goons and started using Steam Idler to earn tons of cards. I've been selling them like gangbusters, but have run into a snag:

VALVE posted:

You are not allowed to sell more than 200 items in a calendar year without providing us with more information first. To provide the necessary information, please click here. If you have already provided us with the necessary information, then it may require verification before the limit can be removed.

They want my SSN :v: I think I've made MAYBE $5 total with these stupid cards... how dumb :downsgun:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Deakul posted:

the VOs are awful

gently caress you

you're right

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Canopus250 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbRGg3e1b68

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I just assumed somebody would link the Chaos guy yelling about metal boxes. These are good alternatives. Hell I'll probably pull the trigger for how much fun I had back in college LAN'ing it with my housemates.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I want a foil DarkBase 01 badge just to have it. I bought the cards for the regular badge.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Jesus I cant believe these people, lol 4500. It's insane.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think Valve is going to break their own metagame in new and hilarious ways. With the sale almost half done during the peak user hours how are total clicks supposed to increase by 200% in the time remaining? It would be hilarious if in the last few days the bars were set so high that only 3-4 games go on sale because of the clicker achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

theultimo posted:

Jesus I cant believe these people, lol 4500. It's insane.

4640 here. If you want an "elite" group you basically have to join right after the reset and chance to pick one of the heavy autoclicker games.

• Locked thread