Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Cursive is good and phones in the classroom are bad, but the fact that spending didn't even enter into this is hilarious.

I'm most bothered by the fact that they're spending 30 million on what is probably vaporware instead of putting money into education

The phones in the classroom and cursive stuff seems like "adding more things public school teachers will need to do and get no money or time to do so"

NE: I didn't intend to make that pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Cursive is good and phones in the classroom are bad, but the fact that spending didn't even enter into this is hilarious.

Cursive is a massive waste of time. Teach typing, young people can't type for poo poo, and it is at least a marginally useful skill still. Anyone can learn to read cursive if they need to work in an archive or something. I took latin when I needed it, never before, I was fine, but you can bet people did this same poo poo about latin.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
some people on twitter made the great point that their kids are t1s and use their phone in conjunction with a cgm to manage the disease and all these broke-brained tories are like “well how did they manage diabetes before phones??? checkmate libs”

and everyone’s like yeah they have to prick themselves fifteen times a day or they just died so

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Virtual Russian posted:

Cursive is a massive waste of time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh i think cursives fine in part because it teaches hand eye coordination and better handwriting but also lmao we have video games for that now so

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Virtual Russian posted:

Cursive is a massive waste of time. Teach typing, young people can't type for poo poo, and it is at least a marginally useful skill still. Anyone can learn to read cursive if they need to work in an archive or something. I took latin when I needed it, never before, I was fine, but you can bet people did this same poo poo about latin.

I use Latin, Koine and cursive (and Koine cursive) all the time! Don't we want young people to be able to phone post on government time in 10-20 years?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

mediaphage posted:

tbh i think cursives fine in part because it teaches hand eye coordination and better handwriting but also lmao we have video games for that now so

They will have to remove something to make space for cursive, its going to be something nice like art or music.

I need to read cursive like once every couple years, always something in an archive. I've used my limited latin more frequently. When was the last time anyone else used cursive?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I use Latin, Koine and cursive (and Koine cursive) all the time! Don't we want young people to be able to phone post on government time in 10-20 years?

You have a weird job though, as do I. Most people have zero need of it.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Virtual Russian posted:

When was the last time anyone else used cursive?

Any time I write something down by hand? It's faster and neater than printing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I had to learn cursive in school and I basically never use it, and while I can generally read it, I still feel like it's a crapshoot for legibility. There's probably an argument for learning it, since school is about learning a bunch of different stuff for the sake of expanding your mind and poo poo, even if it might not be 100% practical.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Any time I write something down by hand? It's faster and neater than printing.

Faster? Sure. Neater? I feel like it can be a total crapshoot.

Oxyclean has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Apr 29, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I handwrite in cursive. Love it. Smooth, easy, my handwriting is win (illegible to anyone else). It's also pretty irrelevant to modern people. Also this is just a distraction from the real solutions, like more teachers, or more money for teachers, or better teachers who make more money

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Virtual Russian posted:

Cursive is a massive waste of time.

absolutely this. maybe if we didn't force people to learn to write two different ways, they'd write more legibly in the way that 99% of people actually write and read.

DaysBefore posted:

Also this is just a distraction from the real solutions, like more teachers, or more money for teachers, or better teachers who make more money

:hai:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

I handwrite in cursive. Love it. Smooth, easy, my handwriting is win (illegible to anyone else). It's also pretty irrelevant to modern people. Also this is just a distraction from the real solutions, like more teachers, or more money for teachers, or better teachers who make more money

I use "cursive" for my handwritten scientific notes, but only I can read it, plus my partner. Anything meant for anyone else's eyes gets typed up. Having worked in a museum I'm very aware that I need to future proof whatever I write so people can easily read it.

As you said though, this is just boomer catnip to distract from the real problems in education. Cursive is as useful to learn as Latin, less so I'd bet. Learning Latin is fun and gives you a unique window into the past. Learning cursive just lets you read something quickly that you be able to figure out slowly anyways. Education has so much potential to be uplifting, why waste it on a skill that doesn't actually improve you as a person?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

DaysBefore posted:

Yes, exactly. Any note taking, even just jotting something down on a scrap of paper, is faster (I would argue more legible to most people, depending on style) in cursive than printing.

Virtual Russian posted:

Education has so much potential to be uplifting, why waste it on a skill that doesn't actually improve you as a person?

manners maketh man

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Apr 29, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know what would poſſeſſ people to write in such an archaic style.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yes, exactly. Any note taking, even just jotting something down on a scrap of paper, is faster (I would argue more legible to most people, depending on style) in cursive than printing.

Wouldn't it be a more worthwhile endeavour to teach kids how to actually take efficient notes quickly? When I TA'd something I did that got the most positive feedback was teach first years how to take notes. No one teaches that, people are really out there trying to transcribe lectures in real time.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Isn't that an artifact of printing? As opposed to Þ, which was handwritten and disappeared with print, iirc.

Virtual Russian posted:

Wouldn't it be a more worthwhile endeavour to teach kids how to actually take efficient notes quickly? When I TA'd something I did that got the most positive feedback was teach first years how to take notes. No one teaches that, people are really out there trying to transcribe lectures in real time.

Yes, absolutely, but aren't these the same thing? Learning how to abbreviate, use etc. e.g, i.e, what is important to write down and what isn't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

lol

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Isentropy posted:

So ontarios plan to improve education which the hogs are gonna lap up:

* Bring back cursive
* Phones bad
* Social media bad*
* Vape detectors **

We're getting nothing but Boomer catnip policies like this in the future right

* This is in the Tiktok is showing kids how full of poo poo we are sense definitely not the "let's yell racist poo poo at Black players" sense
** If I wasn't at work I'd look up who's getting the money for those vape detectors. They're about as real as the dowsing rods sold in Iraq

The article on the pilot program for the Vape Detectors is here https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.o...pilot-1.7162452

The company making the detectors is Zeptive, based out of the US (!). They're $1200 each with a $35 monthly sub fee (!!). Also, the Zeptive CEO is former DoD Homeland Security (!!!) and half the list of partners look like PMCs.

cool and good, good and cool

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Isizzlehorn posted:

The article on the pilot program for the Vape Detectors is here https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.o...pilot-1.7162452

The company making the detectors is Zeptive, based out of the US (!). They're $1200 each with a $35 monthly sub fee (!!). Also, the Zeptive CEO is former DoD Homeland Security (!!!) and half the list of partners look like PMCs.

Oh my loving God

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Isizzlehorn posted:

of course

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I don't understand the "vape detector" scam when the Mk. I eyeball exists. Smoking in the bathroom didn't set off the fire alarm, it took staff actually walking a beat to catch people.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

But then you have to pay staff

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

35$ a month sub fee is a total loving joke. Spend 35$ a month on classroom supplies instead.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Virtual Russian posted:

Teach shorthand and stenography so they can actually do that.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

that's all USD btw, per unit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This talk about the state of education reminds me of the Yes, Prime Minister scene on the same topic.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Bringing cursive back is the dumbest loving thing I’ve ever heard. I am a teacher and I would refuse to teach it. good luck morons, when the bulk of your workforce is Millenials who have already forgotten and cohorts of Gen Z are getting hired every year who have no idea.

Meanwhile, because a very stupid current of “kids are naturally good at computers” tech budgets and tech classes have vanished from schools. We got good at computers because we had classes teaching us how to do it! “Kids these days” have worse computer skills that my (millennial) generation did. They have no experience typing in a full keyboard . Apps becoming easier to use, and schools just having a cart of iPads means kids get into grade 7 literally not knowing what a file is, how to work a desktop, like ANYTHING on a computer.

I teach in a rapidly gentrifying area and there exists such a disparity where the kids from wealth have access to laptops at home and know how to use em when the other kids get to borrow their parent’s phone for 30 minutes if they’re lucky.

School used to eliminate that knowledge gap so a low income kid could conceivably come into school, know how to use a computer effectively and do so at work. not anymore!!!

And they want them to LEARN CURSIVE HAHAHAHHAHAABAHHAHA!!!!! More blood for the boomer base!!!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol I remember hearing that computer and typing classes were going away because 'oh everyone learns this at home'. Insane. Plus I've worked with plenty of people my age and younger who are just as hopeless with computers and typing as the middle aged people everyone makes fun of

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
My wife is a teacher, and I don't understand the phone ban at all (I understand it is signaling for senile morons). How is it enforceable? Any teacher who takes custody of a $1,000 device is moron and is asking for trouble.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It would be very funny if typing wpm on resumes come back.

Calumanjaro posted:

My wife is a teacher, and I don't understand the phone ban at all (I understand it is signaling for senile morons). How is it enforceable? Any teacher who takes custody of a $1,000 device is moron and is asking for trouble.

RMC undergrads have their phones taken away, and obviously there are no phones allowed in half of the classes at the signals school or CADTC. Just have them put them in their lockers at the start of the day or something?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I would look like an rear end in a top hat. Every time I've tested my WPM it's come back as exactly 69.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I don't have to take handwritten notes often because I have a job where I actually have to do work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ford was just asked about the campus protests.
His answer: Can't we all just get along?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Calumanjaro posted:

I would look like an rear end in a top hat. Every time I've tested my WPM it's come back as exactly 69.

Nice.

Arc Hammer posted:

Ford was just asked about the campus protests.
His answer: Can't we all just get along?

To be fair to him, if anything pops off at York I can see that very quickly getting out of hand and becoming a problem for him.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

RMC undergrads have their phones taken away, and obviously there are no phones allowed in half of the classes at the signals school or CADTC. Just have them put them in their lockers at the start of the day or something?

Admin pretty much refuses to enforce any kinds of consequences as it stands. I do agree with the phone ban, assuming technology is provided for all students to learn and it is actually enforced. I think we all know that both those things are not going to happen.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It really is Ontario politics in a microcosm. The solution is anything but actually spending money on improving education.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

kids can learn quite a lot of stuff including typing and how to write, Doug ford on the other hand.....

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

To be fair to him, if anything pops off at York I can see that very quickly getting out of hand and becoming a problem for him.

To be unfair to him, I say good, it should be a problem because he's a corrupt rear end in a top hat who deserves having every problem blow up in his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
if the kids learn anything or grow up valuing curiosity instead of having it stamped out of them at a young age then they might become irritatingly dissatisfied with their lovely lot in life, and we can't have that