Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
At my megacorp this meant that you could sort of shadow someone in a different silo to gain more insight on what exactly they do and see if you may be interested in moving to that role someday. I let someone listen in on a few calls (project kickoff, draft review) and made myself available to answer any questions they had after that. Also let them review drafts.
I have done this twice now, one person was late to calls and interrupted me to blurt out incorrect information, and the other person was engaged and awesome and is getting my job now that I am leaving :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Smithwick posted:

Just had a team meeting pop up with my boss’ boss.

My team submitted a big project proposal to our boss, and it got passed on to our boss's boss. She (boss's boss) added in some random-rear end thing, without discussing the issue with anyone, that we had never heard of and weren't prepared to address, then submitted it to the big cheese for final approval. I wouldn't have even known it got added if I didn't go back and review the work after she submitted it up to the big cheese.

Today boss's boss schedules a meeting to "discuss random-rear end thing." I'm pretty sure we're going to get yelled at for not being prepared to address the thing she invented. Perhaps she got asked by the big cheese "What is this thing that doesn't fit into this proposal? Why does it have a throw-away half sentence explanation? How does it affect the millions of dollars otherwise at issue here?" And clearly it's my team's fault boss's boss wasn't prepared to answer those questions.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Inner Light posted:

God drat wtf? This is a hosed up post. Sorry I dunno if posting about posting is still against the rules, throw a 6er if I deserve it, but wow.

thats fourier series and thats kind of their thing. they pop into this thread every few months to try and lob a grenade into whatever discussion happened to be going on, and i guess they probably couldn't ignore this opportunity to do it again

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Trabant posted:

Serious question re: Mentoring

Every gigacorp I've worked for has made a big deal of their formal career mentoring programs. It's great! It helps you develop and grow! It can boost your career in new and exciting ways!

Except... I can never get anyone to tell me what exactly is discussed and what kind of guidance is offered in these conversations. Is it "consider learning about topic ______ because it's the way of the future in our industry" or is it "take classes in field ______ because there's a need for people who know it" or is it "think about moving into an org like _____ because your resume could use it" or... What exactly?

I know that each person who goes through this has different mentoring needs but surely someone can give me examples, things they could take action about. No, instead all of it is described in the abstract. As if it's the freaking Matrix.

So, if you've done something similar: could you please describe how/what you got out of it? Am I missing out on something, or is it old farts talking about how when they were coming up in the industry things were different!

It's an opportunity for your manager to look good by improving you. Actual initiative will be punished.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yeah in my experience those programs are checkboxes, subject entirely to the effort put in by the individual mentor. If you luck out, you get great dedicated time to learn from an experienced senior. If you do not get lucky, you will be one of the 90+% of people in those programs who get a quarterly check-in to shoot the poo poo if anything at all

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Trabant posted:

Every gigacorp I've worked for has made a big deal of their formal career mentoring programs. It's great! It helps you develop and grow! It can boost your career in new and exciting ways!

Except... I can never get anyone to tell me what exactly is discussed and what kind of guidance is offered in these conversations. Is it "consider learning about topic ______ because it's the way of the future in our industry" or is it "take classes in field ______ because there's a need for people who know it" or is it "think about moving into an org like _____ because your resume could use it" or... What exactly?

I know that each person who goes through this has different mentoring needs but surely someone can give me examples, things they could take action about. No, instead all of it is described in the abstract. As if it's the freaking Matrix.

So, if you've done something similar: could you please describe how/what you got out of it? Am I missing out on something, or is it old farts talking about how when they were coming up in the industry things were different!

ime there was some career guidance for how to round out my experience, some exposure to how different areas executives thought about the business, but it’s mostly networking opportunities and something to put on your resume

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

remigious posted:

Umm I am going to change the subject…
I was feeling guilty that I had to send a strongly worded letter that deliverables are due immediately. And it worked!! At my next job I think I need to be more of a hardass out the gate so I won’t be seen immediately as a marshmallow people can ignore.

Hell, same.

I generally like to give people room to do their thing but given the constant crush of "do more with less" that is not working as well as it once might have.

I hate it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Trabant posted:

Also a gigacorp employee who has dealt with similar stuff in the past and feels your frustration. We’re really bad for new hires because even in the context of giving them a formal mentor that person typically is in the same team and so it becomes a catch all for all manner of disparate questions from “how do I get access to this room” to “how do I build a VM” to “how do I work well with my boss” and it makes it hard to get focused. I agree with what people have already said and would add

+You can have a technical mentor or a business/behavioral mentor. Technical side is easier, just focus on actual hard results and how to do stuff / what to learn. Business is a lot more unfocused but really a lot more valuable. Discuss career paths, what helped them in the past, etc. It's up to you to define what you want to talk about (I know that's not necessarily helpful . . . )
+Distinguish between mentoring and coaching (which is a big new push here). Mentoring relies a lot on the mentor’s personal experience, if you’re a mentor you’re giving direct advice and guidance and sharing what you went through. Coaching is about longer term goals and open ended questions, where as the coach you’re not supposed to give the answer but are making the coached person think critically about the situation

The 1-2 mentors I had formally assigned were pretty bad, and I get the sense that’s what a lot of people experience. But if you actually can FIND a mentor on your own who you have a rapport with and you can have an open and honest discussion about work and what you want to get our of having a mentor, that can actually help you out even if it’s just someone who you can vent to (obvious caveat you have to trust this person).

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

dirby posted:

I think it's a regional corporate slang for "unavailable" (which I've only seen online), unless I just missed the typo.

Oh lol I just assumed a weird autocorrect from office -> pocket.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

thats fourier series and thats kind of their thing. they pop into this thread every few months to try and lob a grenade into whatever discussion happened to be going on, and i guess they probably couldn't ignore this opportunity to do it again

It's a John Smith rereg so look up that account for additional information.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

dirby posted:

I think it's a regional corporate slang for "unavailable" (which I've only seen online), unless I just missed the typo.

Yes it is slang for unavailable. Now that I think about it I am not sure how or when that entered my vocabulary. It seems like a phrase I have always known.

Anyway, confirmed that my boss has left the company and I get the impression that she found a new gig. Boss’s boss seemed a little unprepared so I think he got blindsided. Or maybe she reached a breaking point and said, “gently caress this poo poo, I’m out.”

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Boss calls me today asking me what I'm up to some random week coming up.

Yeah I have a week long bootcamp. I guess you forgot? We signed me up for it 8 months ago so yeah I can see how that can happen.

Oh whoops. Turns out the company has a last minute opening for a conference in loving VEGAS and wanted to invite me but now I can't go.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Find a career mentor outside of your company, if you can. You want to talk to them about your career, not just your job. And that involves talking about opportunities elsewhere.

Job mentors can help if you are focused in the conversations and have clear things you want to accomplish (movement, progression, interesting projects, begging for raises, etc).

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I had a one on one with my manger today to discuss individual development plans. He told me he wanted to promote me, I told him I wanted to change career fields. He said he’d still try to promote me even if I’m planning on leaving. I have a meeting with the department head of the other group I’m trying to get into on Friday, so we’ll see how that goes.

This is also the first time in almost 14 years of working that working hard at my job is leading to a promotion. It’s usually led to more work and the same pay and in one case less money and more work

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
My employer balked at hiring an in-house counsel because of the cost (low 6 figures). They would rather pay outside counsel (high 6 to low 7 figures).

I started actively looking last night.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I’m happy that my manager let me take off in the middle of the day for a last second medical appointment without spending PTO or making me work late, or just real mad at Corporate America.

Maybe both.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

dirby posted:

Yep no idea where out of pocket came from, but I hear it time to time in the Midwest US. It was a bigger phrase like 10 years ago I think. I'd just say unavailable or something probably.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inner Light posted:

Yep no idea where out of pocket came from, but I hear it time to time in the Midwest US. It was a bigger phrase like 10 years ago I think. I'd just say unavailable or something probably.

Yeah it's the dumbest phrase ever and I've hated it ever since I heard it.

"Out of Pocket" already had a use! It meant you were paying for something yourself! Being on a business trip, funded by the business" is nowhere close to this!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Inner Light posted:

Yep no idea where out of pocket came from, but I hear it time to time in the Midwest US.
This blog post about the various uses of "out of pocket" says that the "unavailable" meaning is over 100 years old and implies the ultimate origin is unknown.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Trabant posted:

This wasn't a gigacorp, but a couple of jobs ago I had a formal mentor. She just listened to me bitch about my lovely boss once a month, which was therapeutic but not exactly "mentorship." The one time she gave me some concrete advice it was really bad (which I learned the hard way after following it). Eventually I switched teams to a boss who wasn't lovely and decided that I didn't really need a "mentor" anymore.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Trabant posted:

I like this response for the business side:

Jordan7hm posted:

Find a career mentor outside of your company, if you can. You want to talk to them about your career, not just your job. And that involves talking about opportunities elsewhere.

Job mentors can help if you are focused in the conversations and have clear things you want to accomplish (movement, progression, interesting projects, begging for raises, etc).

For a technical/skills mentor, you want someone that has done the thing you want to do, can show you the steps to do the thing, and can help correct mistakes while doing the thing. Someone that can take an abstract goal and help realize it. You might not have the same person for all functions, like a senior widget-maker offers tech support while someone higher up says how you can improve widget-making. But it’s someone that can help you realize you can grow bigger than the job you’re in.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Don't know why you're bothering looking for mentorship when you all have Somethingawful accounts. Best advice I've ever received or given is in this thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My organization ran a coaching class for people managers during lockdown. As part of it, they had to actually coach people and then get feedback from the coachees and discussing it with their instructor. My boss was part of it, so he asked some of us to volunteer. I did and had several very interesting sessions with an absolutely amazing person. How to handle myself and my personal brand in a global organization, discussing how other people had reacted to me in various situations, and some talk of career development.

My org actively encourages horizontal and diagonal moves within the larger company, I could take a degree in chemistry and move into research for an extreme example. That makes those kind of discussions a lot safer.

I'm really starting to appreciate working for a healthy organization. Too drat bad Informatics is looking at a strong possibility of layoffs because lol, budget go boom.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I’ve noticed that I’m letting my bitterness about my last company deep through a bit when talking in interviews. Nothing super egregious, but i am conscious of it after the fact. Anyone have tips for dealing with that mentally in those type of situations? Besides alcohol of course.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I mean seriously gently caress those cock sucking motherfuckers, but I need to contain my “they can go gently caress themselves” vibes better

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for replies about mentoring. It really sounds like a combo of pure luck and circumstance in great many cases.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

My organization ran a coaching class for people managers during lockdown. As part of it, they had to actually coach people and then get feedback from the coachees and discussing it with their instructor. My boss was part of it, so he asked some of us to volunteer. I did and had several very interesting sessions with an absolutely amazing person. How to handle myself and my personal brand in a global organization, discussing how other people had reacted to me in various situations, and some talk of career development.

My org actively encourages horizontal and diagonal moves within the larger company, I could take a degree in chemistry and move into research for an extreme example. That makes those kind of discussions a lot safer.

I'm really starting to appreciate working for a healthy organization. Too drat bad Informatics is looking at a strong possibility of layoffs because lol, budget go boom.

Boom goes the budget indeed. :( I just got confirmation that no, we can neither convert our contractors to blue badge nor extend them past their one-extension limit, even though they're not technically 1099s but are PPD employees. I got to deliver that news today. :( Fortunately, one of them started job-hunting already and had an offer. He was grateful for that news, because it at least made the decision easier for him.

On the topic of mentoring, we're supposed to have all these individual development plans in place for our underlings, but some really don't give a poo poo and actually don't want to advance. I have one who has been in his role for about 8 years now and has straight up told me he doesn't want to move higher in the organization or have more responsibility. He's good at what he does, so my perspective is that we just let him keep doing it if he's comfortable with the standard 3%-per-year raises for eternity. The dude's like 50. What's he going to do, go back for a master's degree so he can advance beyond technician level? gently caress no, just let him do his thing and stop pressuring him to "make something of himself." He did, he likes what he is, and that's good enough by me.

But no, I have to find him career mentors and "grow his spotlight in the organization" now. Just what this guy wants, I tell ya. :barf:

Meanwhile, in mine I specifically asked for more interaction with director-level compliance and regulatory folks, more opportunities to shape the agenda instead of react to it, and opportunities to develop delegation and trust skills (I'm honestly bad about that; I don't trust most people to get their poo poo done and do it right, which means I keep too much on my own plate, etc etc). My management chain isn't sure they can do that, because "that's not quite the point of IDPs." So what the gently caress is the point, when you're talking about management roles being told to have IDPs as well? Give me tools to get better at managing effectively, and opportunities to show off what I can do to higher-level folks.

Or, I mean, just write down a kaleidoscope of synergistic technopomp and give yourselves a high-five on doing nothing. That works too. :eng99:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

secular woods sex posted:

My employer balked at hiring an in-house counsel because of the cost (low 6 figures). They would rather pay outside counsel (high 6 to low 7 figures).

I started actively looking last night.

Because one number looks worse on the P/L than the other number. Modern accounting has given everyone brain worms.

At least that's the explanation for similarly baffling decisions in software.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hi corpo thread, you will probably be interested in a subforum update post in the rules thread and some recent entries in the LC. Please check it out but generally keep any meta-posting comments to the rules thread or PM.

https://twitter.com/selinawednesday/status/1646181381276581895

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

I have one who has been in his role for about 8 years now and has straight up told me he doesn't want to move higher in the organization or have more responsibility. He's good at what he does, so my perspective is that we just let him keep doing it if he's comfortable with the standard 3%-per-year raises for eternity. The dude's like 50. What's he going to do, go back for a master's degree so he can advance beyond technician level? gently caress no, just let him do his thing and stop pressuring him to "make something of himself." He did, he likes what he is, and that's good enough by me.

But no, I have to find him career mentors and "grow his spotlight in the organization" now. Just what this guy wants, I tell ya. :barf:

This is one of those things that has cropped up for me in various ways in various corps One of which was the "high performer/low potential" bottom right box of the "nine box". The company I was with at the time seem to take that as a bad thing. And I'm like "this is my salt of the earth, does their job super well, doesn't want to be promoted to their level of incompetence person. I want 5 more of this exact type of person to do our day to day work, what the hell is wrong with you thinking this is a bad thing?" Then I remembered I was in a bay area startup.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Xguard86 posted:

Because one number looks worse on the P/L than the other number. Modern accounting has given everyone brain worms.

At least that's the explanation for similarly baffling decisions in software.

I could never understand that about tooling, I mean yes logically I understand the concept but it’s taken to extremes.

“200k hard tooling and in terms of order volume it’ll be paid off in ten years? Go for it”. “Let’s wait 10 months to replace a piece of equipment where the weekly weld repair fees exceed the cost of the machine over the course of 3 months.”

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
2nding the advice of finding a mentor in your industry but not at your company, but in addition to a manager at your current place. Having someone you can talk to at your company is really useful. If you are at all challenged by the politics aspect (as I am), having someone who can talk informally about stuff is super useful. Years ago I had a great mentor (who later was my boss and was kind of a lovely boss) who did a great job telling me "don't spend time on that initiative, this other thing will get you more attention" etc. It was an accelerator for sure.

Tnuctip posted:

I’ve noticed that I’m letting my bitterness about my last company deep through a bit when talking in interviews. Nothing super egregious, but i am conscious of it after the fact. Anyone have tips for dealing with that mentally in those type of situations? Besides alcohol of course.

Write a script for common questions ahead of time regarding the employer. It'll be way easier when you're not on the spot.

A certain amount of negativity is ok, but think of it as a budget. It's ok to say "I am looking for a new job because my last employer did not have any advancement opportunities". That is a small bit that you can fit in your budget. But if you follow that up "Also the managers were jerks and they only hired idiots" then you've blown past your budget and starting to raise "potential toxic person" red flags.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Last day of the current job is tomorrow, first day of the new job is next Tuesday. Now I'm going to spend all day panicking and stressed out, making sure I have all the info about my current benefits written down and tracked. Worrying about health insurance and other bullshit.

I think if we somehow gently caress up health insurance for the new place, Cobra as a fallback has a 60 day backward grace period, right? So we can apply for Cobra later for a month if I gently caress anything up there? I'm unlikely to do so, but I haven't changed jobs in 10 years so anxiety is high here.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

Last day of the current job is tomorrow, first day of the new job is next Tuesday. Now I'm going to spend all day panicking and stressed out, making sure I have all the info about my current benefits written down and tracked. Worrying about health insurance and other bullshit.

I think if we somehow gently caress up health insurance for the new place, Cobra as a fallback has a 60 day backward grace period, right? So we can apply for Cobra later for a month if I gently caress anything up there? I'm unlikely to do so, but I haven't changed jobs in 10 years so anxiety is high here.

Coverage often goes through the end of month, you might want to check that in whatever exit packet they give. And yes you can elect COBRA retroactively within 60 days of coverage ending.

There's a potential that your new employer has a waiting period of up to 90 days.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

esquilax posted:

Coverage often goes through the end of month, you might want to check that in whatever exit packet they give. And yes you can elect COBRA retroactively within 60 days of coverage ending.

There's a potential that your new employer has a waiting period of up to 90 days.

Health insurance was one of the biggest factors in the start date I chose. People don't like starting new hires weeks when a Monday is a holiday, but I wanted to start right before the end of the month to make sure I would have health insurance at the new employer setup correctly to start June 1st.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It’s such bullshit that health insurance is tied to your job. I’m having similar anxiety because it’s my last day at job tomorrow and we want to sign up for health insurance through my judo job, but can’t technically do that until my last day is over. So we won’t be covered over the long weekend and I am stressed!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

remigious posted:

It’s such bullshit that health insurance is tied to your job. I’m having similar anxiety because it’s my last day at job tomorrow and we want to sign up for health insurance through my judo job, but can’t technically do that until my last day is over. So we won’t be covered over the long weekend and I am stressed!

Don't short gaps like that cause insurance to consider any ongoing prescriptions "pre-existing conditions" and stop covering them? That's part of why I was thinking of doubling up on insurance for one month via Cobra, the pre-existing condition stuff is such frustrating bullshit. You go one day without coverage and now you're paying full price for a medication for the rest of your life.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

Don't short gaps like that cause insurance to consider any ongoing prescriptions "pre-existing conditions" and stop covering them? That's part of why I was thinking of doubling up on insurance for one month via Cobra, the pre-existing condition stuff is such frustrating bullshit. You go one day without coverage and now you're paying full price for a medication for the rest of your life.

Not for the past decade (thanks Obama). And even before that, under HIPAA, it was just excluded for a limited period.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

esquilax posted:

Not for the past decade (thanks Obama). And even before that, under HIPAA, it was just excluded for a limited period.

Oh wow, that makes me much less anxious. That poo poo was such a potential nightmare in the past.

One of the other things I'm worried about is what random rear end web portals for things I'll still have access to next week. I'm assuming they won't just cut access to the portal for my RSUs, but I'm still writing as much down as I can just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I need a sanity check from those with global corpo experience. Ive been scraping my way up the corporate ladder in operations for the last decade and finally established a team that works in a job that is mostly OK.

Now I’m being pursued heavily internally to move to a non-management role in a different function in a small team dedicated and focused on changing the operating model of the Group. It will involve exposure and leading workshops with a lot of upper management.

Is this as good an offer as it sounds or should I stay where I am and keep building within operations? I’m not used to thinking about a new job when I’m generally OK with what I’m currently doing.