Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:shrug: I don't think it's that complicated, it's just that blue is a color you don't really see in edible stuff that often so it stands out. and kids like it when it turns their tongues blue i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In Europe, they don't like eating grapes, so the purple color is blackcurrant. We don't have much blackcurrant in America because they were banned for a long while for being a disease vector for a specific disease that killed pine trees at a time when lumber was much more of an important industry.

Rasberry flavor is great and once the idea of making it blue caught on, it's just a thing now. I think I remember when I was a kid, a bunch of companies figured out a new apple flavor where they add in some more citric acid and all the candy companies put out green apple variants at once. There's a weird power to the conceptual idea of a flavor all on its own.

Similarly, the idea of banana flavor persists even after the true banana has gone extinct.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the candy conspiracy i want to uncover is the one where all the candy companies en masse got rid of all the lime flavored candy and replaced it with green apple. they all did it. all of em.

i bought a big bag of runts recently after not having them in decades and they made the green one a fuckin apple. so disappointed.

banana candy is the worst. i am glad that banana is dead!

look at these hateful things.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
banana candy rules however I agree that the wholesale ditching of lime for Green Apple is a tragic loss. lime is the best candy flavor period.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

uber_stoat posted:

no one can "own" dyes, you can't patent a color.

But you can trademark colors, which is practically the same thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LifeSunDeath posted:

No blue raspberry is real, it's grown in the misty mountains of Ligma.

What part of these fabled mountains?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The current banana cultivar clone is threatened and we're just going to have to learn to accept a new flavour of banana in our lifetimes, start dealing with it now.

I mean, assuming we make it out of 2020.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

When I was a teenager in eastern europe, me and my friends snuck into a semi abandoned tractor faktory. There were blue raspberries growing on small bushes from in between the tiles of some outdoor area. I ate some of them and they tasted just like raspberries.

I am fully aware this sounds like total lunacy and no such plant exists, but it's all true. I had no doubts about the veracity of this story before I learned that blue raspberries are not actually real. They even looked like an actual shade of blue, instead of like black or purple.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RBA Starblade posted:

In the region of Balzac

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RBA Starblade posted:

Ligma misty mountain blue raspberries! :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yes, the magical mystery blue fluid excreted by the incontinent, women on their periods, and babies.

Might be blue raspberry, might be bubblegum, all we know is that it's ethically sourced and 100% recycled.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

angerbeet posted:

The current banana cultivar clone is threatened and we're just going to have to learn to accept a new flavour of banana in our lifetimes, start dealing with it now.

It's my understanding that it's a garbage cultivar so good riddance.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you can still get the old kind of banana. you have to really want it though.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

While we're on the topic of strange colors for foods:

Though tbf I just looked it up and it originally had other fruit juices that made it pink. Nowadays most things labeled "pink lemonade" just use fruit coloring.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yum yum

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's one gros, Michel. What could it cost, $67?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

uber_stoat posted:

you can still get the old kind of banana. you have to really want it though.

There are dozens of banana cultivars. Neither the barely surviving Gros Michel or the endangered Cavendish is the only “true banana,” they’re just the ones that were easiest to grow commercially on a large scale. Some other cultivar will be teed up to replace the Cavendish, and so on until we all fry.

Fartington Butts posted:

While we're on the topic of strange colors for foods:

Though tbf I just looked it up and it originally had other fruit juices that made it pink. Nowadays most things labeled "pink lemonade" just use fruit coloring.

Santa Cruz Naturals Raspberry Lemonade is so, so good. Do not miss out if you like raspberries and lemonade.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like artificial banana because I'm an alarmed bee

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SlothfulCobra posted:

In Europe, they don't like eating grapes, so the purple color is blackcurrant. We don't have much blackcurrant in America because they were banned for a long while for being a disease vector for a specific disease that killed pine trees at a time when lumber was much more of an important industry.

Rasberry flavor is great and once the idea of making it blue caught on, it's just a thing now. I think I remember when I was a kid, a bunch of companies figured out a new apple flavor where they add in some more citric acid and all the candy companies put out green apple variants at once. There's a weird power to the conceptual idea of a flavor all on its own.

Similarly, the idea of banana flavor persists even after the true banana has gone extinct.

Color aside, where does the flavor come from though? I'm assuming they're not distilling raspberries or something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The world of artificial flavorings is surprisingly secretive and it's hard to find direct answers for a lot of these things. It's fully possible that it could be a chemical distilled from raspberries themselves, but it's also possible that the chemical could've been found and distilled from a number of other sources from coal tar to beaver secretions.

Once you've isolated the exact pure chemical composition of your flavoring agent, you can just harvest it from wherever you can find it for cheapest. The primary source of citric acid, one of the most common flavorings you'll find, is mold.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Isn't castoreum one of the secret ingredients to "natural raspberry flavor"?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm dumb and cant read...apparently yes.

It's not used much any more, and it could be in food or more likely in perfumes. According to this mental floss article annual consumption is like 300 Lbs. I can't imagine it's terribly cost effective to harvest or milk beaver anal glands for flavoring agents.

Edit: somewhere in a sketchbook I have a pic of a distressed looking beaver exclaiming "don't eat my rear end" or something vaguely similar

Edit2: found em!

dog nougat has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Aug 25, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
corn to call it natural, petroleum distillates to call it artificial

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

who's Steve Jobs?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

dog nougat posted:

I'm dumb and cant read...apparently yes.

It's not used much any more, and it could be in food or more likely in perfumes. According to this mental floss article annual consumption is like 300 Lbs. I can't imagine it's terribly cost effective to harvest or milk beaver anal glands for flavoring agents.

Edit: somewhere in a sketchbook I have a pic of a distressed looking beaver exclaiming "don't eat my rear end" or something vaguely similar

Edit2: found em!

im gonna eat that beaver's rear end

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you! I've always been mystified why blackcurrant is a common flavor in English candies and such, and basically non-existent in the US. According to Wikipedia blackcurrant is kind of making a comeback here in the states since the Federal ban ended in the 60s, so hopefully will become more common again.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

angerbeet posted:

Just eat plaintains instead

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Once you've isolated the exact pure chemical composition of your flavoring agent, you can just harvest it from wherever you can find it for cheapest. The primary source of citric acid, one of the most common flavorings you'll find, is mold.

I was skimming that paragraph and my eyes kept getting caught on the abbreviation that they're using. Maybe they should just.. spell all of it for that one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Certainly you're gonna want to enunciate quite carefully when you talk about it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

snoo posted:

im gonna eat that beaver's rear end

quote:

Beaver Meat is red, rich, and delicious. Wild Beaver Meat should be marinated for at least 24 to 48 hours and cooked slowly in crock pot with broth.

Beaver tail.

And the vegan option.

quote:

Vegan Pumpkin Beaver Tails with a Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
1/2 cup warm water
2,5 teaspoons dry active yeast
1/4 cup raw sugar (60g )
1/2 cup pumpkin puree* (115g)
1/2 cup plant milk (warm)

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

(these are amazing think maccas apple pies)

iRend has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Aug 25, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

iRend posted:

Are they sweet? I’m tempted to get some, but I don’t have a sweet tooth and like my chips to be savoury.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

iRend posted:

Oh I would wreck these.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Taco Taco Taco Taco Taco Taco Taco Taco...Taco Pizza trip report.

It's basically three corn tortilla tacos and guacamole on a plain NYC-style pizza. It's quite a bit of food and flavors but they actually work together pretty well.

Started by eating the tacos which ended up not being too messy since the sides were fairly clean while the bottom was coated in pizza grease. It was difficult to get any guac on them though since the guac still had large pieces of avocado in it. Ended up schmering it all over the pie.

The tacos started falling apart after eating about two-thirds of the way through each so I decided to just plop the remains on the pie and ate it all together as this ungodly mess.

Was it worth it? Kind of but parking was a bitch. Village Pier is quite the tourist trap and parking was both full and you had to pay for it. Ended up parking a few blocks away in the nearby residential area. Frankly, the only reason I went was because I needed to get my car inspected and the DMV was basically along the way so I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'd gently caress that pizza up rn.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd gently caress that pizza, sexually

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

e, nm, I think I forgot how to read.

Data Graham