Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cowslips Warren posted:

wasn't that the show with two divorced older ladies whose husbands had been having an affair for 20 years or something like that? Like the wives were unknowing beards their entire marriage. But the show tried to show them sympathetic because they couldn't be out.

I am sorry I cheated on you honey, and we built a life on a lie, but now I want to be free and get with the real love of my life, good luck with yours!

Yeah that's the premise. Two law partners have been having an affair for 20 years and are now dumping their 70 year old wives so they can live out their remaining years together. Unfortunately that means their wives can expect to live out their final years alone, because it's a bit late in the day to snag a new man. And nobody can be mad because they are all liberals who have to support these guys finally coming out. One of the kids lampshades that it's hosed up they wouldn't be so supportive if dad had been loving a woman for 20 years and finally dumped mom to marry the other woman.

It's a mildly interesting premise. Maybe good for a movie? But stretched out for years on a tv show it just made everyone involved seem deeply unpleasant despite the charming cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Michael Mann's Manhunter is a masterpiece, what a fantastic film.
I like it better than any of the other Hannibal Lecter properties tbh, it's just so good :allears:

Dopilsya posted:

But now you have me remembering a scene that I can't place- a guy is wearing a coat, maybe a suit, has his gun out and makes to put it away. But instead he fires it back through his suit hitting someone behind him.
Stallone at the end of Assassins? He aims at Banderas using the reflection in Julianne Moore's sunglasses :cool:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah that's the premise. Two law partners have been having an affair for 20 years and are now dumping their 70 year old wives so they can live out their remaining years together. Unfortunately that means their wives can expect to live out their final years alone, because it's a bit late in the day to snag a new man. And nobody can be mad because they are all liberals who have to support these guys finally coming out. One of the kids lampshades that it's hosed up they wouldn't be so supportive if dad had been loving a woman for 20 years and finally dumped mom to marry the other woman.

It's a mildly interesting premise. Maybe good for a movie? But stretched out for years on a tv show it just made everyone involved seem deeply unpleasant despite the charming cast.

yeah I mean if the affair had been a year or two along, I could at least say "well, product of their times but it still sucks for their wives."

as is? I wanted to see the cheaters loving burn. but that's a bit of a berserk button for me, sexuality aside (my dad cheated on my mom throughout their marriage and made it so she was so financially crippled and isolated she could never think to leave). keep a beard as long as he or she knows they're a beard. don't use them as a mask for your entire marriage, and they DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT, and expect to be seen as good people still.

i remember a book where the main girl realized that her "uncle" was really her father's boyfriend. the dude was a friend of the family. but her mother knew about it, and had encouraged it: both parents had wanted kids, but she didn't want a husband who was after her for sex all the time, and as long as he was private about it, she was fine with everything. at least until the husband died, and she cut the boyfriend off because she didn't want him around anymore (also because he had told the teen kids who he was in relation to their dad). but the marriage worked great until then because they both knew what the other wanted and the kids grew up in a relatively loving home till the husband died.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Nov 25, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Watched an old episode of the Clone Wars cartoon earlier, one where their shipped crashed and they're trying to find help. They find a group of lemur people who don't want to help them because "Jedi aren't peacekeepers" and blame them for the galactic war.

Which brings me to point - what I call the 'idiot pacifist'.

The lemur people argue the war is really the Republic's fault because they could have just not fought back against the sith and the separatists. Yes, all the thousands of miles long spaceships bombarding worlds from orbit. The kidnapping, murdering, enslaving and genociding of countless beings across tens of thousands of worlds. And the Republic should have just, I dunno, ignored them or something.

The lemur people numbered a few hundred and were able to hide on an uncharted world far away from anything else. The quadrillions of people in the Republic had no such luxury.

Now, pacifism is fine, no problems with it. It's great even. But mistaking your incredible luck and privilege of being able to find a new home far away from suffering and try to turn that into moral superiority is the worst kind of bullshit.

Also, when giant spaceships start offloading thousands of battledroids into the middle of your cities and start indiscriminately killing everyone, what exactly the gently caress do they expect people to do, exactly? "It takes two to make a war" is some goddamn bullshit when your choices are between not fighting back and dying. Especially when said by people with the privilege of not living under constant threat.

It's the same sort of Brady Bunch bullshit morality where a kid being abused by a bully and seeks help from their parents is told to try being their friend or 'ignore them and they'll get bored'. Which has never once worked in the real world.

It's like a rich person sneering at a poor person complaining about a bitter winter when they're unable to pay their heating bills and saying, "Why don't you just fly to the French Riviera? It's always lovely and warm there."

And what really irritates me about it is that we see characters all torn up by what the lemur people are saying, as thought it's not the worse kind of facile bullshit.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And what really irritates me about it is that we see characters all torn up by what the lemur people are saying, as thought it's not the worse kind of facile bullshit.

Not sure if I’m remembering right, but if so I recall being really irritated because the pacifist lemur was pretty quick to let Dooku’s people do whatever they wanted. When your pacifism still lets you help the people conquering you, you’re not a pacifist, you’re a coward who’s willing to help the bad guys hurt more people rather than risk your own skin. You can make an argument violence isn’t required of any one person or group, but at least passive resistance or helping those who can fight back is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's the same sort of Brady Bunch bullshit morality where a kid being abused by a bully and seeks help from their parents is told to try being their friend or 'ignore them and they'll get bored'. Which has never once worked in the real world.

Agreed. I never got bored.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Splicer posted:

Has this ever been done on purpose and well? A main character loving things up due to their own hubris but in a way that's enjoyable to watch and now that I type it out I realise I'm describing the first two seasons of You and also 90% of Greek mythology.

The Shield has a perfect ending worthy of Greek tragedy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

wasn't that the show with two divorced older ladies whose husbands had been having an affair for 20 years or something like that? Like the wives were unknowing beards their entire marriage. But the show tried to show them sympathetic because they couldn't be out.

I am sorry I cheated on you honey, and we built a life on a lie, but now I want to be free and get with the real love of my life, good luck with yours!

It sort of made sense for the more conservative couple because it was clear they neither liked nor loved each other and were just sort of there out of inertia and convenience, so in some sense it was for the best. But the hippie couple were crazy in love and the husband just yeeted himself out of the relationship with barely a look back (yeah, I'm sure there were a few plot points about having a hard time getting over his ex wife but you might watch him moping about it for like 10 minutes and then welp on to the new life!)

The most interesting part of the show was realizing that the actor playing the recovering addict was one of the kids in Empire Records and is basically playing the same character at a much later stage in life.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

After watching The Marvels, and apparently I was one of the few who did, I think we can all agree the famed MCU magic is dead and gone

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The laser grid thing in Resident Evil doesn't damage the duffel bag with the EMP in it.

Also, once I realized why Eric Mabius/Matt looked so familiar, I couldn't not see Daniel from Ugly Betty. Even though I haven't seen that show in over ten years. Does it hold up?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm finally watching Brooklyn 99 and I'm irritated that I haven't seen Kevin for many, many episodes. Where the gently caress is Kevin. Why isn't there more Kevin.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

I'm finally watching Brooklyn 99 and I'm irritated that I haven't seen Kevin for many, many episodes. Where the gently caress is Kevin. Why isn't there more Kevin.

Whenever Kevin's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Kevin?"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Whenever Kevin's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Kevin?"

EXACTLY

Except Captain Holt. He knows where Kevin is.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

After watching The Marvels, and apparently I was one of the few who did, I think we can all agree the famed MCU magic is dead and gone

I think the beast of Marvel just got too big and died under its own weight, like how a whale will if it beaches itself.

What was the last really loved Marvel movie?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

EXACTLY

Except Captain Holt. He knows where Kevin is.

Don't worry he has a few arcs and they're all fantastic

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

He got left behind and now he's home alone!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think the beast of Marvel just got too big and died under its own weight, like how a whale will if it beaches itself.

Endgame despite being inferior to Infinity War

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm sure this has been done to death but

IIMM: The New Mutants - why is there only a single person running this entire facility, designed to contain and rehabilitate the most dangerous and unpredictable of Xmans?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The last Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty decent, but that's only barely MCU.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tunicate posted:

He got left behind and now he's home alone!

Kevin would *end* those guys without even trying.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

credburn posted:

IIMM: The New Mutants - why is there only a single person running this entire facility, designed to contain and rehabilitate the most dangerous and unpredictable of Xmans?

It has been a while and I don't recall the exact details but wasn't the point that the place was not a legit operation and the "doctor" was quite adequate until poo poo goes sideways

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

It has been a while and I don't recall the exact details but wasn't the point that the place was not a legit operation and the "doctor" was quite adequate until poo poo goes sideways

Yeah she was, but I'm just saying. She's there to contain and train and kill them off or whatever... it's a lot to entrust on one lady. She manages the shield at all times, and does like every other task. Clearly she's not up to it because ultimately it's her undoing really, that she was just overworked and underpaid, and really I sympathize with her because the girl absolutely should be put down! She can summon mammoth sized bears that maul entire villages to death on accident!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

credburn posted:

Yeah she was, but I'm just saying. She's there to contain and train and kill them off or whatever... it's a lot to entrust on one lady. She manages the shield at all times, and does like every other task. Clearly she's not up to it because ultimately it's her undoing really, that she was just overworked and underpaid, and really I sympathize with her because the girl absolutely should be put down! She can summon mammoth sized bears that maul entire villages to death on accident!

My irrational movie moments is that people watch the X-Men movies and sympathize with the villiains.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Alhazred posted:

My irrational movie moments is that people watch the X-Men movies and sympathize with the villiains.

Oh I know what you would do in the trolley problem :mad:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cowslips Warren posted:

The spiderman one with 3 spiders-men was very popular, and not bad.

Unthinkable for Disney, but obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of common sense, they should have had a two or even three year content moratorium after Endgame. Nothing at all. Instead we got this sludgy transition of random bullshit that no one cares about.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MadDogMike posted:

Not sure if I’m remembering right, but if so I recall being really irritated because the pacifist lemur was pretty quick to let Dooku’s people do whatever they wanted. When your pacifism still lets you help the people conquering you, you’re not a pacifist, you’re a coward who’s willing to help the bad guys hurt more people rather than risk your own skin. You can make an argument violence isn’t required of any one person or group, but at least passive resistance or helping those who can fight back is.

He just let the Separatists roll right over his people. He literally said, "I would rather let every single one of my people die than fight."

The Separatist were going to trial a new weapon which destroyed all organic life on their village just to see how well it worked and he still refused to help the jedi defend his home.

There's pacifism and then there's the over the top stupidity that you sometimes see in movies and TV shows designed to just make you hate the person espousing it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think Marvel went the same path as Star Wars, where the people making all their movies and shows decided that fans would watch any old slop and lick it
up.

And there are certainly people who did.

Everyone else just got bored and left.

I mean, holy loving poo poo Secret Invasion was so bad. They took Samuel L. Jackson and made him boring. I didn't even know that was possible.

edit: It was sooooooooooooo bad

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Nov 26, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A lot of the marvel stuff just feels like poo poo they made to fill up disney plus.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I watched Seceret Invasion thinking that Fury being a bumbling old man was a ruse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alhazred posted:

I watched Seceret Invasion thinking that Fury being a bumbling old man was a ruse.
The spiderman mysterio movie set that up and all

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

The spiderman one with 3 spiders-men was very popular, and not bad.

Unthinkable for Disney, but obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of common sense, they should have had a two or even three year content moratorium after Endgame. Nothing at all. Instead we got this sludgy transition of random bullshit that no one cares about.

Yeah, the general public just isn't super interested in sprawling infinitely serialized crossover stories. People were willing to flirt with the concept out of sheer novelty but then they wanted it to be over. The problem is that neither comics fans nor comics executives will ever understand this concept because they're already deeply invested in buying/selling sprawling infinitely serialized crossover stories.

Funnily enough this is also exactly what happened when they launched the Ultimate Marvel line twenty years ago as a dry run for the MCU. They promised a clean slate with real endings and no comics bullshit and it pulled in tons of new readers, but as the years went on the slate got less and less clean and the comics bullshit piled up and it died off.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Still better than the Snyderverse somehow

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Spiderverse 2 by a loving mile. Before that? Last ones I remembered liking were Dr Strange 1 and Venom 1.

Oh yeah. Also Spiderverse 1.

The MCU is in that spot that happens a lot with franchises where, like someone else said, they feel they can just churn out any old bullshit and make money, which they will 100% do until audiences prove otherwise. Reminds me of horror franchises like Saw, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien, Predator and what have you. Some of those even dabbled in shared universe poo poo too and the films just kept getting worse.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, the general public just isn't super interested in sprawling infinitely serialized crossover stories. People were willing to flirt with the concept out of sheer novelty but then they wanted it to be over. The problem is that neither comics fans nor comics executives will ever understand this concept because they're already deeply invested in buying/selling sprawling infinitely serialized crossover stories.

Funnily enough this is also exactly what happened when they launched the Ultimate Marvel line twenty years ago as a dry run for the MCU. They promised a clean slate with real endings and no comics bullshit and it pulled in tons of new readers, but as the years went on the slate got less and less clean and the comics bullshit piled up and it died off.

This is also due to the diminishing returns with not really being able to raise the stakes.

When half the universe dies but none of that really matters (except for removing the most popular actors that drove the series), it's really hard to communicate ways to raise tension or suspense. Not there was ever much to begin with but it got worse with each film, especially after Endgame, but it's kind of vital to storytelling I think. Now they're in full on comic book storytelling territory where you just retcon deaths, shift timelines, have multiple dimensions, take poo poo further into space and introduce (more) B and C listers to take the place of any characters people really liked.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Nov 26, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I mean for me once I saw so many big names die, but knowing they'd come back, just made the stakes not exist at all.

Anyone else remember the loving insanity when Optimus Prime died in the 80's movie? I remember they added a voiceover that he would be back at the end of the movie eventually, because people were loving pissed. Hasbro was totally lost because they didn't realize people actually cared about this toy commercial.

Oh man, everything I have seen about Wish is horrible. Just the animation style, so flat and AI looking, turned me off at the first trailer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Avengers are the B and C listers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean for me once I saw so many big names die, but knowing they'd come back, just made the stakes not exist at all.
Yeah my thought at the end of Infinity War was "Oof, why am I supposed to care about this? It's obviously all getting undone in the next film."

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh man, everything I have seen about Wish is horrible. Just the animation style, so flat and AI looking, turned me off at the first trailer.

It looks like a watercolor and a tapestry had a baby

I'm glad they try new styles, it's good.

The one real problem with Wish is the song lyrics. Woof. Terrible. Not irrational though

It's also Disney meta as hell which I can see annoying many people, but that IS more irrational

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aphrodite posted:

The Avengers are the B and C listers.

True. I realized that once I posted it. But back then it was novel and new. You could write a real movie like Iron Man 1 because you had a blank slate. Then they smashed all the toys together and introduced even MORE action figures - some of which worked like Ant Man and GotG - but now we're just left with a huge toybox filled with stuff that nobody knows how to make compelling.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else remember the loving insanity when Optimus Prime died in the 80's movie? I remember they added a voiceover that he would be back at the end of the movie eventually, because people were loving pissed. Hasbro was totally lost because they didn't realize people actually cared about this toy commercial.
That was Duke in the G.I. Joe movie. Prime stayed dead.

For a while, anyway.

BiggerBoat posted:

When half the universe dies but none of that really matters (except for removing the most popular actors that drove the series), it's really hard to communicate ways to raise tension or suspense. Not there was ever much to begin with but it got worse with each film, especially after Endgame, but it's kind of vital to storytelling I think. Now they're in full on comic book storytelling territory where you just retcon deaths, shift timelines, have multiple dimensions, take poo poo further into space and introduce (more) B and C listers to take the place of any characters people really liked.
I've been saying forever that it feels like Disney's trying to transplant comic book storytelling to movies, without realizing that all that stuff you mentioned barely even works in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I appreciate the ever present goon subtlety of dancing around the real issue and saying everything but the actual truth but as usual I’ll be the one who doesn’t sugarcoat things:

The MCU went woke and it got broke. Wrap it up comicailures