Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
so I'm in Los Angeles and apparently our DSA chapter is doing GOTV (do you use the same term?) phonebanking of momentum members ahead of the election

Would this be as weird for you as I anticipate it being for us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

unbutthurtable posted:

so I'm in Los Angeles and apparently our DSA chapter is doing GOTV (do you use the same term?) phonebanking of momentum members ahead of the election

Would this be as weird for you as I anticipate it being for us?

I imagine this will be just as successful as the Guardian's 2004 letter writing campaign to deliver Ohio for president Kerry.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I don’t know, I would think “oh god save yourselves, don’t turn into us!!” might have some appeal to it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Selling at a loss or giving away valuable poo poo to private interests is osborneite tory economics and its very smart and serious and not at all radical

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Thoughts posted:

Selling at a loss or giving away valuable poo poo to private interests is osborneite tory economics and its very smart and serious and not at all radical

aurora neoliberalis

https://twitter.com/ewan_oozami/status/1203432930204368896
another victory for the working class

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

AnoHito posted:

I don’t know, I would think “oh god save yourselves, don’t turn into us!!” might have some appeal to it.

Yeah I think a lot of British people don't really know how American healthcare works. First hand accounts of like, suddenly being on the hook for 20,000 dollars because the ambulance took you to a hospital that isn't in your network so your insurance won't cover any of it, should scare some Brits into voting Labour

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I think a lot of British people don't really know how American healthcare works. First hand accounts of like, suddenly being on the hook for 20,000 dollars because the ambulance took you to a hospital that isn't in your network so your insurance won't cover any of it, should scare some Brits into voting Labour

On the other hand, that makes the "gently caress scroungers, poors, and those darn immigrants (not expats, that's a special term for us) am I right" demographic horny as gently caress

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I'm sure the British public will vote reasonably and responsibly!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Falcorum posted:

On the other hand, that makes the "gently caress scroungers, poors, and those darn immigrants (not expats, that's a special term for us) am I right" demographic horny as gently caress

But even middle class or upper middle class people can get completely wiped out by medical bills. Like, having "good" health insurance in America is still an absolute loving nightmare

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gripweed posted:

But even middle class or upper middle class people can get completely wiped out by medical bills. Like, having "good" health insurance in America is still an absolute loving nightmare

It can't happen here

Or it can but only to people who are not me

Edit can't stress enough how an awful lot of people think like this. We're a deeply damaged nation

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I've got to say, Brits, out of this ridiculous failure that is brexit you are now on the brink of snatching an epic win. You consider this election your internal business but if you elect Corbyn and he manages to pass through his plans this might just be the spark that will empower like-minded individuals all over the world. Go elect your absolute boy and don't come back until he is the prime minister

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

better things aren’t possible, the libs and melts are gonna throw their votes away and Bojo is gonna get a huge majority and then corbyn is going to be shitcanned and replaced by a centrist who in 2024 runs on a platform of restoring the NHS (by providing means tested refundable tax credits to families not on public assistance)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, that's exactly what I'm saying. Get over your britishness and get it done. Because than we get to put the assholes to the wall. They say everything is bad because of objective uncontrollable reasons, and than we get to say "no, you fuckers are the problem" and point to Britain with Corbyn as PM, who is so precious it almost brings tears to my eyes. How is this even remotely possible that a guy who is 20 years in poilitics and didn't turn into utter fucktard has actual change of becoming the queen of england?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I hate it when people in politics are fucktards.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Gripweed posted:

my experience of trying to explain this to (oxbridge, libdemish) brits is a lot of "if i were american, i would simply choose not to be in crushing medical debt". like if you relate personal stories of this happening to you and people you know, they may go "oh that's terrible", but they mean you made some of dumb mistake and didnt understand the system, not getting that you can make the optimal decision in the system and still have your savings wiped out because of an afternoon in the ER

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Breakfast All Day posted:

my experience of trying to explain this to (oxbridge, libdemish) brits is a lot of "if i were american, i would simply choose not to be in crushing medical debt". like if you relate personal stories of this happening to you and people you know, they may go "oh that's terrible", but they mean you made some of dumb mistake and didnt understand the system, not getting that you can make the optimal decision in the system and still have your savings wiped out because of an afternoon in the ER

tbf earnestly believing this to be true is like a major pillar of being a liberal in the us too

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a bit annoyed about having to pay £9 for anti-biotics when the hospital was giving me them for free.

but then i remembered in America that would probably be like $500.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

if you need a doctor visit to prescribe them then that’s about right

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

better things aren’t possible, the libs and melts are gonna throw their votes away and Bojo is gonna get a huge majority and then corbyn is going to be shitcanned and replaced by a centrist who in 2024 runs on a platform of restoring the NHS (by providing means tested refundable tax credits to families not on public assistance)

Corbyn being replaced by a centrist seems very unlikely at least. That's why the biggest melts have left the party, or left parliament altogether. The new composition of the membership guarantees that even post-Corbyn the party will still be solidly left wing.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I think a lot of British people don't really know how American healthcare works.

A lot of American people don't understand how American health care works. I know because I'm a silly Yank.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
the American healthcare system is like an unstoppable rear end-loving machine where lube costs $1500

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I once read that this was the attitude back when debtor's prisons were a thing, and sending them to Georgia was considered the 'humane' option. It wasn't until the South Seas bubble burst and a lot of middle class types were suddenly thrown in debtor's prisons that support for abolishing them became widespread.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

sullat posted:

I once read that this was the attitude back when debtor's prisons were a thing, and sending them to Georgia was considered the 'humane' option. It wasn't until the South Seas bubble burst and a lot of middle class types were suddenly thrown in debtor's prisons that support for abolishing them became widespread.

Which incidentally probably has something to do with increasing clamor in the US for public healthcare, our middle class slipping down the economic abyss and all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bacon Taco posted:

A lot of American people don't understand how American health care works. I know because I'm a silly Yank.
The number of people who are convinced they have "good" health insurance (right up until the moment they need it for something more involved than a checkup or a flu shot) is really something.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Phobeste posted:

tbf earnestly believing this to be true is like a major pillar of being a liberal in the us too

"If we just improved people's financial literacy, they'd not be screwed over by capitalism anymore!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

foobardog posted:

"If we just improved people's financial literacy, they'd not be screwed over by capitalism anymore!"
People are poor because they don't understand how to budget!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Bacon Taco posted:

Americans have a culture of avoiding seeing doctors until they literally can't. Why? Cause it's loving expensive, and you'll often times get into a battle with your doctor, your doctor's office, and your insurers over how much testing will be done, how much it'll cost you, and how much insurance will pay. People go to doctors and try and dodge tests, my sister's girlfriend told me recently about how she wasn't vigilant enough and the doctor looked up her nose and in her ears to diagnose something and that saddled her with a 400 dollar testing fee her insurance won't cover. The kicker was she was mad at herself and the doctors instead of insurance.

So yeah I'm not surprised you don't have an in-depth understanding of how your insurance works, cause you're trying to never have to use it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

foobardog posted:

https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/1203312744285560834

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

crowd noise

*outraged crowd noise*

also love the facial reaction of the one to the left of him.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

for every politically engaged voter, there’s a geriatric in an old folks home with the daily mail where their brain should be reflexively voting blue

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

LOL forever at choosing american healthcare. You realize you can do all the research, call, email, mail and fax the providers and the insurer, and they still won't tell you the price of many things beforehand, or even months afterward sometimes. In effect they just make the numbers up, and then its your problem

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey remember when Reddit said that the Kremlin was assisting Labour?

:thunk:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
i don't think there are that many people here who think "yeah, the US system seems fine and I don't mind if the NHS goes" - that's just tilting at windmills. the contention is whether a post-brexit US trade deal will materially harm the NHS, or whether you accept Johnson's assurance that it won't. as with all brexit-related discussions, it's nearly impossible to make headway, due to a popular refusal to believe that there will be as many trade-offs and compromises after brexit as there are within the EU. see also: https://www.theonion.com/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-region-and-1819594296

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Heavy_D posted:

i don't think there are that many people here who think "yeah, the US system seems fine and I don't mind if the NHS goes" - that's just tilting at windmills. the contention is whether a post-brexit US trade deal will materially harm the NHS, or whether you accept Johnson's assurance that it won't. as with all brexit-related discussions, it's nearly impossible to make headway, due to a popular refusal to believe that there will be as many trade-offs and compromises after brexit as there are within the EU. see also: https://www.theonion.com/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-region-and-1819594296

uhh what assurances would one trust exactly, he's been proven time and time again to go back on any that he's made (or pretended to make)

plus I don't even think it's the fault of the US necessarily*, Boris has been clamouring to privatise the NHS for ages

https://twitter.com/TheRedRoar/status/1201545913300373505

*much less EU, however that would work with member countries generally having universal healthcare

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Dec 8, 2019

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Private Speech posted:

uhh what assurances would one trust exactly, he's been proven time and time again to go back on any that he's made (or pretended to make)

to be clear, i don't trust him on this issue, but around 30% of the country does, and 25% more are unsure
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-us-trump-trade-deal-brexit-poll-a9173761.html

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/belindadelucy/status/1203223120951365632

Oh no, not a “wealth exodus!”

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Morter posted:

crowd noise

*outraged crowd noise*

also love the facial reaction of the one to the left of him.

This is my constituency! That's our Comms officer who took the footage as well. The Tory candidate really doesn't seem like he knows what's he doing at all, we've had a bunch of people say the were going to vote Tory but spoke to him and he put them off lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You guys excited to gently caress a lot and have a bunch of kids after the brexit?

If every conservative politician everywhere is actually a weird sex pervert, then i guess boris johnson's thing is getting other people to gently caress?

quote:

Claim: Boris Johnson has suggested that Brexit is going to bring such optimism and joy to the country there will be a baby boom, and claimed that it will parallel a previous rise in births after the 2012 Olympics.

Background

In an interview with the Sunday Times, the prime minister claimed that “Cupid’s darts will fly once we get Brexit done” and “romance will bloom across the whole nation”. He said there had been a baby boom “after the Olympics, as I correctly prophesied in a speech in 2012”.

Johnson is fond of such claims. When mayor of London, he claimed the “euphoria” in the wake of Team GB’s success at the 2012 Olympic games had led to a surge in births not seen in the capital since 1967, the year after England won the football World Cup.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

weird how vote blue no matter who seems to have the same result over there as it has in the US :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Heavy_D posted:

to be clear, i don't trust him on this issue, but around 30% of the country does, and 25% more are unsure
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-us-trump-trade-deal-brexit-poll-a9173761.html

You could probably get similar numbers for people trusting Donald Trump to take care of immigrant wellbeing tho

And more importantly it's significantly less than how the Tories poll in general, meaning it's an effective attack as at least some Tory voters don't believe his claims.