Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Sadly not that I've ever found. If there were a G502 with extra width for my ring finger it'd be the perfect mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I found this possible option: http://func.net/products/func-ms-3-gaming-mouse

It's not much and it's on amazon so I'm gonna try it out even though I've never heard of the company. It has good reviews from what i have seen. I can live without the weight options.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The MS-3 is great. My only issue with it is the laser sensor's IPS rating being too low (and it being a laser), but otherwise its ridiculously loving comfortable. Its a lot larger than the Naos though. I can take a picture of all three side by side (with the Func split open, though)
Its what I used to use for a good chunk of my comp Tribes time.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 31, 2015

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

The original original or the mark 2? I'm not even sure what the differences are.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The revision 2 fixed the QC issues the originally had. Mostly interal wear on the cable causing it to stop working. I loved mine but I went through 3 of them because of this. Thankfully they were great about warrantying them. A gaming friend has the rev.2 and has had no issues with it at all, so I wouldn't be worried.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Horizontal Tree posted:

Sadly not that I've ever found. If there were a G502 with extra width for my ring finger it'd be the perfect mouse.

The G602 is ever so slightly wider, as is the G700s. Might be worth checking out if a local electronics retailer has them on display.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Earlier this month I picked up a Logitech G402. I hooked it up last night and it feels pretty good. One thing that bugs me is when you press the shift key and release it it clicks and feel like it got hung up on something. Is it suppose to do that or should I see if I can get it replaced? TIA

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What do I get to replace my old g500? I really liked the g500, but logitechs new mice are just well euughhh

I kinda want to spend 60-80 on something similar that is wired.

E: Actually looking at it some more it isn't that bad. Is there a way to turn the nerd led off?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 31, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What do I get to replace my old g500? I really liked the g500, but logitechs new mice are just well euughhh

E: Actually looking at it some more it isn't that bad. Is there a way to turn the nerd led off?

No matter what it's going to suck for awhile as you get used to a new mouse. The g502 feels small compared to a g500 , and it's pretty garish looking. Size wise I found the death adder to be comfortable and comparable hand feel wise with the exception of the weight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The G502 looks a bit silly but feels great in your hand. And yes, you can turn off the LED.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Any ideas on the cheapest place to buy them that ships to Aus?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Steelseries Rival is a great G500 replacement. A few of my friends that were long-time G500 or WMO users fell in love with their Rival.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One of the thumb buttons on my G9x recently died, and since the thing's at least two years out of warranty, Logitech said "nope". The G502 and that Dell TactX both look like good replacements. I really would like to have the ability to switch between a geared and free-spinning wheel as well as the wheel tilt buttons. From what I can tell, the 502 has both of these, but no idea about the TactX. Any reason to consider the latter?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The TacX (which is an Alienware mouse technically) has the same sensor as the G9x, the only reason I could possibly recommend the mouse is if you are so completely in love with that sensor that you could never possibly get used to a better one.

Get the G502 without a question otherwise.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Do your windows pointer speed and the 'enhance pointer precision' (which is basically acceleration) setting have any bearing on games? I have precision turned off and sensitivity set to 6/11 according to gamer folklore, but it's mainly out of superstition as I always suspected that a game would talk to the mouse a little more directly and the pointer settings wouldn't come into it. However, recently I've started to see a 'raw mouse input' option in games (seems to have been added to the Source enginer, for example) - which makes me think that without this option, it probably is just using the windows pointer API and therefore would be affected by your mouse settings. Does anyone know the answer? Or does it vary from game to game?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
AFAIK what you say is basically correct.

It's not hard to test. Make a fast swipe from left to right (or 360 or whatever), note distance traveled. Then make an as slow as possible swipe, compare distance.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Fair point. I have tested it in such a way in a couple of games but I guess it was looking for a more general answer. I just find it a bit weird that it's not always been the case, that raw mouse input seems to be a new-ish option, when I would have assumed it was done that way anyway. The thought of it passing through so many layers all applying their own scaling... it feels dirty.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I bought a G502, but it only had 4 weights instead of 5 in the container. Anyone else experience that? Not a big deal, just weird

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

jeff8472 posted:

I bought a G502, but it only had 4 weights instead of 5 in the container. Anyone else experience that? Not a big deal, just weird

I would recommend contacting customer care - that shouldn't happen.

If you are able and willing to PM me the serial number (S/N) so that I know when it was made and where it was sold, it would be helpful to prevent it in the future.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

chippy posted:

Fair point. I have tested it in such a way in a couple of games but I guess it was looking for a more general answer. I just find it a bit weird that it's not always been the case, that raw mouse input seems to be a new-ish option, when I would have assumed it was done that way anyway. The thought of it passing through so many layers all applying their own scaling... it feels dirty.

If you're not playing netQuake or CS 1.6, Windows speed settings shouldn't have any impact on 3D shooter titles. dInput and raw input are used for pretty much everything.

2D titles are less consistent in how they handle this.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

jeff8472 posted:

I'm sure you checked this, but there wasn't one in the mouse already was there?

Goo posted:

If you're not playing netQuake or CS 1.6, Windows speed settings shouldn't have any impact on 3D shooter titles. dInput and raw input are used for pretty much everything.

2D titles are less consistent in how they handle this.

How does DirectInput differ from raw input?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Raw input is a newer API that MS made as a way to give developers more direct access to hardware - not just mice. DirectInput is an older API that they've wanted to deprecate for a while but can't because of legacy dependencies and other things. They "feel" different according to different people and as such there are proponents of each who argue endlessly about which is superior. It's all very :goonsay: arglebargle and I tune out pretty quickly when the conversation starts because it generally devolves to Godwin.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Just got in on this:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mionix-castor-rgb-ergonomic-optical-gaming-mouse

Heard good things and I like the shape.

If you guys don't mind I have a referral link if you so decide to get in on this:

https://www.massdrop.com/r/EPZU9Z

Full disclosure I could get free poo poo if you buy through it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Urgh, I've been working at home all week, with my new G502. In the office today and my G700 on a cloth mousemat feels loving horrible.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Goo posted:

We also don't use a filter driver or microcontroller scaling to allow non-native levels. Any setting in the software is exactly what the sensor is sending.

These are the native steps for other current Logitech sensors:

AM010 in G302/402 - 80
AM010 in G602/100s - 250
S9808 in G600/700s - 50
S3055 in G300s - 250

Pretty sure 3310 can do 100 CPI steps but we don't use it in anything.

Is the native step for the G700 the same as the G700s?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

People round these parts have been happy with their g303's, yes?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
My G500s cord broke at the end of July and Logitech sent me a replacement 502 that got here yesterday. It's great, but it is a bit small. Other than that, it's :perfect:.
Well, I do wish it was a bit less spaceshipy.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Ynglaur posted:

Is the native step for the G700 the same as the G700s?

Yes, but G700 is using the 9500 which is capped at 5700 CPI

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Moatman posted:

My G500s cord broke at the end of July and Logitech sent me a replacement 502 that got here yesterday. It's great, but it is a bit small. Other than that, it's :perfect:.
Well, I do wish it was a bit less spaceshipy.

Snap -- I just put in a Warranty request for my G500 for the same reason. If they send me a 502, I'd be pretty happy about that. I don't have a receipt, so it might get denied, but either way I'm getting a 502...hopefully a free one :D.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I want my 502 to be more spaceshippy. I want downloadable sound profiles to play through a speaker on the mouse when I move it or click it. I want it to constantly sound like Engineering on TNG. Or the TARDIS.

Or a Gunstar from The Last Starfighter.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wrong thread, whoops

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So that Monoprice Zowie AM I bought in december: The right mouse button is starting to break, sometimes giving me double clicks on a single press. It's still under warranty, but Monoprice doesn't carry the AM model anymore. From a quick glance, it seems they don't carry any Zowie mice anymore, and the rest of their mice look like cheap garbage.

I'm going to be a little upset if I can't get my money back.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I've been using the func ms-3 mark 2 that I got about a week ago and so far I like it a lot. It is definitely bigger than the mionix one I have but the feel is close. I suppose I use my mouse a bit differently in that I use palm mice with a finger grip, and the only problem is that the dpi shift sniper button is a bit out of my reach. Software works pretty well and I've had no issues with it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are Zowie's mice still the best optical/CS mice? How different is the ZA from the FK in terms of shape, and also in coating? I have an early generation FK and the coating is loving awful, it's like very thin plastic that peels off and poo poo and also attracts sweat stains like a magnet

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Are Zowie's mice still the best optical/CS mice? How different is the ZA from the FK in terms of shape, and also in coating? I have an early generation FK and the coating is loving awful, it's like very thin plastic that peels off and poo poo and also attracts sweat stains like a magnet

Zowie's sensor has cursor creep on hard mousemats. Clearly not the best. Neither the DeathAdder or the G303 have this problem.

I do think they fixed the coating in FK1 and later.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

El Scotch posted:

People round these parts have been happy with their g303's, yes?

Very much so.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
My ancient G9 is continuing its slow death - Can anyone recommend a mouse with a tall body and vertical right-hand side? Or even better, a mouse where it is wider at the top surface by the buttons, and then undercut toward the base of the mouse, just like the left side typically is?

I've got big hands and I palm grip, but I also squeeze the mouse with my ring and pinky fingers. Most mice tend to slope on the right hand side, which means I can't get a firm grip and I end up squeezing it harder, which causes my ring and pinky fingers to ache. Years ago I tried an MX 518, couldn't use that for more than a few hours which tells me the g502 is out. Earlier this year I tried a Func MS-3, and while it is nice and wide it is also shallow and smoothly sloped - that was no good either, again, couldn't grip the thing. The R.A.T. series might be ok, but recent reviews are pretty bad? Am I doomed to try custom fabbing my own mouse body?

edit: My memory is crap, but thanks to the magic of internet I see here that I actually liked the Func MS-3 but had to return it because my fat fingers were to heavy to rest on the buttons without accidentally clicking. This was also almost 2 years ago now - did the Rev. 2 of that mouse change anything in regards to the body or clicky mechanisms? If not, the mionix NAOS 7000 seems to have an awfully similar shape, I think I might give that a shot.

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 8, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Raised by Hamsters posted:

My ancient G9 is continuing its slow death - Can anyone recommend a mouse with a tall body and vertical right-hand side? Or even better, a mouse where it is wider at the top surface by the buttons, and then undercut toward the base of the mouse, just like the left side typically is?

I've got big hands and I palm grip, but I also squeeze the mouse with my ring and pinky fingers. Most mice tend to slope on the right hand side, which means I can't get a firm grip and I end up squeezing it harder, which causes my ring and pinky fingers to ache. Years ago I tried an MX 518, couldn't use that for more than a few hours which tells me the g502 is out. Earlier this year I tried a Func MS-3, and while it is nice and wide it is also shallow and smoothly sloped - that was no good either, again, couldn't grip the thing. The R.A.T. series might be ok, but recent reviews are pretty bad? Am I doomed to try custom fabbing my own mouse body?
I position my ring and pinky fingers in the same way on my G502. The shape, while pleasant to MX518 owners, is also different enough that I would definitely give it a shot.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Alright so I thought my mouse was dying (G500) but it turns out that my mousepad was just finally got crappy. Are there any recommended mousepads? Would not like to spend a lot on one but I'm willing to pay for something reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
^^^ If you want a big soft mat, you can get Perixx mats on Amazon for very cheap. Mine was like $15 for a 16x13 or so soft mat. Its very nice.

Nondescript Van posted:

I've been using the func ms-3 mark 2 that I got about a week ago and so far I like it a lot. It is definitely bigger than the mionix one I have but the feel is close. I suppose I use my mouse a bit differently in that I use palm mice with a finger grip, and the only problem is that the dpi shift sniper button is a bit out of my reach. Software works pretty well and I've had no issues with it.

Glad to hear you're liking it. I'd be in love if I could get one with a perfect optical sensor. Its the only thing I know I'd instantly drop the G502 for. A friend of mine has the same issue with the forward thumb button, but for me it was in the perfect spot.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 8, 2015