Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So not the CF but does anyone have any experience with the army cadets in a leadership capacity? Someone suggested I volunteer with our local group. I've never been in cadets or interacted with them so I'm not sure what's involved. Also I guess any insight into the officer route with them as I was told I'd probably be encouraged to go the commission route (used to be an infantry cpl). I'm guessing it's similar to the reserves in the sense that cadet groups vary wildly and giving blanket insight is limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cadets, especially the higher ranking cadets, are absolutely insufferable.

Source: an air cadet FSgt.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Everyone I know who was in or taught cadets hated it.

I never understood its purpose.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I got my pilots license through Air Cadets. Probably the best summer I've ever had.

I went back a few times to be a volunteer instructor. That part was fun. What wasn't fun was all the thankless admin for (usually) no pay. Summer employment was nice, though.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I got to give someone good advice about joining the army! (And no it wasn't 'don't join the army')

The son of one of my techs at work just finished BMQ/SQ, he's going into combat engineers. Before his kid left, he asked me for any advice I could give to get through Basic.

I explained the premise of the Gray Man, and how one should strive to be the embodiment of the Gray Man as nobody gives a gently caress about BMQ/SQ

Turns out the kid made it until week 6 before the Course WO even knew his name because he was skating so well.

I forsee a long and successful career ahead for that young man.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Excuse me, sir, but as a former DP1 Top Candidate, let me tell you about the importance of being a loving switched on all-star troop:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I got put on a recce course straight out of battle school for getting an award so ymmv :shrug:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The rest of us get a little plaque and go about our business never mentioning it again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

eh kid's on PAT platoon for 3 months in Gagetown, seems pleased as gently caress that he gets to do CE stuff going forward.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My drill was so bad in basic I got fired and placed in the back row middle.

And I was top candidate.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hizawk posted:

My drill was so bad in basic I got fired and placed in the back row middle.

And I was top candidate.

we had a guy like that. bear-marched all over the place.

but we also had some army cadet CWOs who thought their drill was hot poo poo, and legit took a belt sander to their boot soles to make them flatter and give a better crack when bringing the foot down

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I’ve never understood the desire to be great at drill. It’s not like crushing it even gets you out of poo poo jobs since drill usually IS the poo poo job.
I mean, drill is basically institutional choreography so it’s fun to see people join to ‘close with and destroy the enemy’ and then get really pumped for a dance recital

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Parade!

Open squaaaaare

DANCE

*band of fiddlers marches out playing Cotton-eye Joe*

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Parade!

Open squaaaaare

DANCE

*band of fiddlers marches out playing Cotton-eye Joe*

I hate this so much

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

There is no date on when Lanthier will take over as vice chief. However, his appointment has also prompted a shuffling in other areas of headquarters. Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre will be appointed as commander of the Canadian Army, replacing Lanthier. Rear-Adm. H.C. Edmundson will be promoted to the rank of Vice-Admiral and will be appointed commander of Military Personnel Command, replacing Eyre.

Maj.-Gen. S.J.R. Whelan will be appointed deputy commander Military Personnel Command, replacing Edmundson. Brig.-Gen. J.R.M. Gagne will be promoted to major-general and will be appointed Chief Military Personnel Strategic Programs, replacing Whelan. Col. F.G. Carpentier will be promoted acting brigadier general and appointed as Commander 2 Canadian Division and Joint Task Force (East), in Montreal, replacing Brig.-Gen. M.A.J. Carignan.

I think I need a diagram.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Does anyone have a story of a grievance being resolved at the IA level? Or is that still firmly in ‘circle the wagons’ territory?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Looks like there's a lot of radio box LSVWs from Petawawa being listed on GCSurplus - if you've ever wanted to own your very own LSVW, what the hell is wrong with you you can take tow one home today for a cool grand!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

We all know that one guy on base who drives an iltis unironically; dude is definitely getting in on this

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I always wanted to get an iltis and drop a turbodiesel into it

They were fun little idiot boxes

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

I always wanted to get an iltis and drop a turbodiesel into it

They were fun little idiot boxes

I remember driving one on Highway 16 from Dundurn to Saskatoon, foot to the floor

It didn't break 90 kph

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hell how long is the bed in an LSVW? I know some dudes that might jump on that for hauling canoes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Hell how long is the bed in an LSVW? I know some dudes that might jump on that for hauling canoes.

I thiiiiink it's 2.5m, give or take? Been a while since I've been in or near one, but that sounds about right.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I saw a Germany era superstar in an iltis driving at about 30kph in St Thomas the other day. He's gonna be all over that.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I'm in the process of getting back in and holy poo poo the tattoo policies are ridiculous now. I had to cover two tattoos that I had the first time I joined.

Yes, I had to cover my big ol swastika and various ss tattoos

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 11, 2019

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone seen the new CADPAT, now with less relish?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone have first hand knowledge of the cyber op trade, PRes in particular? Is there any overlap with sigs?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Anyone seen the new CADPAT, now with less relish?

Did the current stuff even need replacing?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Did the current stuff even need replacing?

Unsuitable for use for operation useless dirt xiv

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

MA-Horus posted:

Unsuitable for use for operation useless dirt xiv

I think you mean Op LINE DEFENCE INDUSTRY POCKETS TO LAND A CUSHY BOARD POSITION AFTER RETIRING 20.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Not sure if this is the thread for this, but Marty was a pretty well liked guy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-soldier-beaten-1.5279171

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It is. That sucks out loud.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but Marty was a pretty well liked guy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-soldier-beaten-1.5279171

I've been to numerous "lovely" countries of the world, and I have never felt less safe than when I have traveled in America.

Where I am now, the worst I have to deal with is drunk British dudes who are giant jerks.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Hizawk posted:

I've been to numerous "lovely" countries of the world, and I have never felt less safe than when I have traveled in America.

Where I am now, the worst I have to deal with is drunk British dudes who are giant jerks.

Stuck in Suffield?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hizawk posted:

My wife and I have a zero Red state policy. I've known others who have the same, and even one who turned down a lucrative clearance job at Redstone.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Veterans, please stop forwarding my emails to Andrew Scheer. Its embarassing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Veterans, please stop. Its embarassing.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

how long are medical clearances taking right now? been waiting 2 months on mine.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Its official. I'm fuckin stupid and I'm swearing back in on the 2nd of dec.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pass basic and don't get dishonorably discharged and you too can earn a brand new Veteran's Service Card *crowd cheering noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I've already got one. Thankfully, I don't have to repeat basic, either