Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

indigi posted:

The results are a lot of frustrating to listen to interviews

I don't really get frustrated listening to them, though. I really like the flow of each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
There's probably a more appropriate thread for this elsewhere, but Patrice had a stroke :(

jxfallout
Jul 3, 2010
I don't know how many people here listen to Distorted View (which I recommend if you love gross-out humor), but someone went ahead and got this tattoo:

http://on.fb.me/tP8GLH

:stare:

EDIT: Might as well include a link to the podcast itself:

http://www.distortedview.com/

jxfallout fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 27, 2011

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Just about as good as anything else in the history of tattoos.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
You know what the worst thing is about podcasts, how often and the hosts bitch and moan about receiving negative feedback of any sort via any method of communication and conclude that anyone who takes the time to write a tweet/email is a basement-dweller

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

indigi posted:

You know what the worst thing is about podcasts, how often and the hosts bitch and moan about receiving negative feedback of any sort via any method of communication and conclude that anyone who takes the time to write a tweet/email is a basement-dweller

I don't care to listen about podcast hosts getting bad feedback usually, but sometimes it's a good way to get some insight into how the hosts feel about their show.

Chris Hardwick does this a lot, he's got some weird approval issues though.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Glitterbomber posted:

Maron is a legitimate scumbag dude and I have no idea why his 'style' is so loved. It's like if Barbra Waters somehow had less charm with his obsession with trying to force his guests to talk about how horrible and messed up they are, even ignoring legitimate good paths to focus on 'so really, are you an alcoholic, you know when I had a problem I didn't think I did either...' and sub-tabloid level interviews.

Maybe I'm tainted because my path to him went from hearing on interviews what a poo poo he is, hearing his standup and thinking he's not bad, and then finding WTF and rolling my eyes every five minutes.

I wouldn't want to be friends with Maron and I think he only gets top-tier guests via the inertia of his previous interviews, but I can't deny that he ends up with better interviews than anyone I've ever heard. Most interviewers have to tiptoe around issues like substance abuse, suicide attempts, utter life failures, terrible reputations, longstanding feueds... the list goes on, and in the end you get "Inside the Actors Studio" or something equally inoffensive. If you're the kind of person that wants to know how people tick then those interviews are worthless. I want to know the personal, private, uncomfortable and potentially highly embarrassing stories that no one has any business hearing. Was it totally classless to publish the interview about the Onion guy's suicide attempt? Yes. Would any "reasonable" program have refused to air it out of good taste? Hell yes. But it's absolutely fascinating and provides a window into a talented and depressed man's mind which you'd never normally hear due to our social standards. That's the kind of stuff that Maron gracelessly pulls from his "friends" every week. WTF is basically a gossip rag, except the info is vetted by the subject in question. Maron is not a good person and he doesn't really care about the people he's using/interviewing so he isn't afraid to lose face by being a pushy and nosy rear end in a top hat during questions.

I think part of it is that I could have had a personality like Maron's when I'm in my 40's had I not developed self-awareness nor tried to be a better person. He goes for the questions I would truly want to ask, but wouldn't due to social grace. It's cathartic to see someone get away with it for a change and soak up all the ill will on our behalf.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ElCondemn posted:

I don't care to listen about podcast hosts getting bad feedback usually, but sometimes it's a good way to get some insight into how the hosts feel about their show.

Chris Hardwick does this a lot, he's got some weird approval issues though.

The only podcast I listen to that even remotely does this is the Pod F. Tompcast, and he does it hilariously. The voice he puts on when he makes fun of them is great, and he's just so humorously angry. "I don't like the part where he talks about the towns he'll be in Shut up! Contact iTunes to get a refund for your FREE PODCAST! Come on."

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Analytic Engine posted:

I wouldn't want to be friends with Maron and I think he only gets top-tier guests via the inertia of his previous interviews, but I can't deny that he ends up with better interviews than anyone I've ever heard. Most interviewers have to tiptoe around issues like substance abuse, suicide attempts, utter life failures, terrible reputations, longstanding feueds... the list goes on, and in the end you get "Inside the Actors Studio" or something equally inoffensive. If you're the kind of person that wants to know how people tick then those interviews are worthless. I want to know the personal, private, uncomfortable and potentially highly embarrassing stories that no one has any business hearing. Was it totally classless to publish the interview about the Onion guy's suicide attempt? Yes. Would any "reasonable" program have refused to air it out of good taste? Hell yes. But it's absolutely fascinating and provides a window into a talented and depressed man's mind which you'd never normally hear due to our social standards. That's the kind of stuff that Maron gracelessly pulls from his "friends" every week. WTF is basically a gossip rag, except the info is vetted by the subject in question. Maron is not a good person and he doesn't really care about the people he's using/interviewing so he isn't afraid to lose face by being a pushy and nosy rear end in a top hat during questions.

I think part of it is that I could have had a personality like Maron's when I'm in my 40's had I not developed self-awareness nor tried to be a better person. He goes for the questions I would truly want to ask, but wouldn't due to social grace. It's cathartic to see someone get away with it for a change and soak up all the ill will on our behalf.

People keep saying what a bad person Maron must be. To me he is like every other pushy New Yorker\Jew I have ever had the pleasure to spend time with. I find it awesome and its the angle he comes at his interviews keep them interesting. I've listened to just about every WTF and I recall only one of them being boring as hell.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SpacePig posted:

The only podcast I listen to that even remotely does this is the Pod F. Tompcast, and he does it hilariously. The voice he puts on when he makes fun of them is great, and he's just so humorously angry. "I don't like the part where he talks about the towns he'll be in Shut up! Contact iTunes to get a refund for your FREE PODCAST! Come on."

Yeah, I don't mind when they make fun of dumb complaints - "I don't like this part of the free podcast that I can easily skip" being a dumb complaint. Especially when he actually tries to make even that bit of the show funny.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I don't mind when they make fun of dumb complaints - "I don't like this part of the free podcast that I can easily skip" being a dumb complaint. Especially when he actually tries to make even that bit of the show funny.
It's actually not a dumb complaint. If someone wastes their time listening to something lovely it's not unfathomable that they'd want to voice their opinion on it and every podcast plugs twitter/facebook/email/website addresses for their fans to use to get in touch with them. You put your show out there and ask for feedback, not all of it is going to be bubbling positivity. It's not like it's 1980 and to complain about something you have to do a lot of detective work to find out how to contact them and write a letter to a guy's manager/agent, I could write a complaint in 2-3 minutes on the phone I just used to listen to your podcast.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I thought it was interesting how he kept dropping digs at Carrot Top. If I was Carrot Top I'd have gotten annoyed.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

indigi posted:

It's actually not a dumb complaint. If someone wastes their time listening to something lovely it's not unfathomable that they'd want to voice their opinion on it and every podcast plugs twitter/facebook/email/website addresses for their fans to use to get in touch with them. You put your show out there and ask for feedback, not all of it is going to be bubbling positivity. It's not like it's 1980 and to complain about something you have to do a lot of detective work to find out how to contact them and write a letter to a guy's manager/agent, I could write a complaint in 2-3 minutes on the phone I just used to listen to your podcast.

Complaining about a guy plugging his own dates is pretty dumb though.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

indigi posted:

Uh, if you don't like a thing, don't listen to that thing. I don't give the bum that lives on my corner criticisms on his insane rants, I just keep walking.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

dog poop n doritos posted:

Uh, if you don't like a thing, don't listen to that thing. I don't give the bum that lives on my corner criticisms on his insane rants, I just keep walking.

If you don't like a post, don't reply to a post. Why would you even bother reading and responding to a post you don't like, I just keep reading.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Owned

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

indigi posted:

It's pretty dumb to complain that someone putting a free, hour long podcast full of material that is 80% new and 20% stuff that few people will have heard is having the temerity to plug their live dates.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Complaining about plugs is pretty dumb, but being critical of things you're hearing or watching is human nature. You'd have to be some kind of robot not to. I understand the need for performers to deflect criticism, but using the "it's free!" excuse doesn't work for me. And why should payment be some kind of magical barrier? It's media, and I'll respond to it however I want.

Complaining about plugs is dumb, but the intro on the Smodcast's Mohrstories is unbearable. Holy poo poo, I hear barely five seconds of it before hitting the fast forward button and that's too much for one lifetime. It goes on for more than five minutes, too!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's mostly negative iTunes reviews that upset podcasters. They depend on positive reviews/ratings to keep them higher on the charts, which gives them greater visibility and potentially more ad revenue. It's one thing to bitch and moan about a podcast here, but doing it in an iTunes review is kind of a dick move, especially when the show is free.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

FitFortDanga posted:

It's mostly negative iTunes reviews that upset podcasters. They depend on positive reviews/ratings to keep them higher on the charts, which gives them greater visibility and potentially more ad revenue. It's one thing to bitch and moan about a podcast here, but doing it in an iTunes review is kind of a dick move, especially when the show is free.

By that logic it's a dick move to complain about TV shows cause sponsors might pull their spots or it might influence other people's decision on whether they should watch it or not. I think that's ridiculous. You shouldn't be allowed to ask for only positive feedback.

Note: I personally never leave negative iTunes reviews or send lovely emails/tweets/whatever cause I'm not that bothered, but I understand if other people are. I also think it's dumb to complain about plugs (although to be fair that is the worst part of the show).

e: Actually I have left one negative review but it was because a podcast had a pretty blatantly racist commercial on it.

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 29, 2011

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

I guess I just don't get why you subject yourself to something more than once if you don't like it. And not only that, but you keep doing it and then complain to THEM about it.

Instead of them changing what they do to meet your standards, why not move on to something else that actually does meet your standards?

e: this isn't directed at you specifically, just people in general

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Cause you like the other 85% of it? That said I don't know why they don't just shut it off before Paul F. Tompkins Comes to Your Town begins, but it's easy to see why someone would like the first 50 minutes and the last 4 minutes and not just the plug section where he tries to make it interesting but it never really is. He could convey that information in about 20-30 seconds like every other podcast host/guest ever does but he tried to incorporate it into his show and it's very far below the otherwise high level of quality of the program. I think it's alright sometimes but poo poo, the guy gives out contact information every episode. It's hard to argue that it should only be used for ego-stroking.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I can understand that with most podcasts or radio shows, but PFT uses it to indulge in more silly, stream of conscience goofiness. It's not my favorite part of his show either, but I have to give him a little credit for trying to do something with it other than just reading dates and locations off of a piece of paper. I tend to zone out during that bit too, but there've been a couple of fun spots, like the auction winner sitting in, reading and playing the piano.

One way or another, the fast forward button on my mp3 player works just fine, so it seems silly to me at least to get worked up about it at all. It's still miles better than loving terrestrial radio.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
:siren: GELMANIA THE PODCAST NOW AVAILABLE :siren:

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Groucho Marxist posted:

:siren: GELMANIA THE PODCAST NOW AVAILABLE :siren:

It was beautiful.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Jesus Christ, the whole segment with Tim Heidecker was so next-level.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Analytic Engine posted:

Was it totally classless to publish the interview about the Onion guy's suicide attempt? Yes. Would any "reasonable" program have refused to air it out of good taste? Hell yes. But it's absolutely fascinating and provides a window into a talented and depressed man's mind which you'd never normally hear due to our social standards.

What's this about? Is it a WTF episode?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

What's this about? Is it a WTF episode?

Episode 190 with Todd Hanson. He goes into detail about his attempt at suicide. It's a really fascinating listen (and is still available online without subscribing). I don't agree with it being classless to publish it though, I think it was handled quite seriously and was very sombre.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

So, I decided to check out Sick and Wrong due to the suggestions in this thread. Well, the first episode I played happened to be episode 300. They were talking about changing the format a lot, so I decided to go back to 299 just to see what the show is usually like. Then when I listened to episode 300 (which was a "troll" episode where they decided to start covering celebrity news) I was convinced it was a joke, but willing to keep listening to it anyways because they were funny.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Did Superego ever have hidden messages display on the 'cover art' thing before? There's one 4:55~ into the Amtrak train sketch, saying Google Mentalist + Holmes + Crooch.
Quite frankly, at work I don't want to do that.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Coco13 posted:

Did Superego ever have hidden messages display on the 'cover art' thing before? There's one 4:55~ into the Amtrak train sketch, saying Google Mentalist + Holmes + Crooch.
Quite frankly, at work I don't want to do that.

Sends you here:

http://www.gosuperego.com/mentalist-holmes-crooch/

11 minutes of uncut audio they say.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Superego is so great. Oh my goodness.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
The latest Indoor Kids went in some really strange directions. It was a great talk about sexism among gamers though for the most part. If you're reading this Chloe, sorry SA has been mean in the past!

Also yeah, Superego is the most consistently funny podcast I subscribe to. It makes me wish it came out more often, but on the other hand I guess if it was weekly it might not be able to keep up the high quality.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Chloe's rack is pretty rockin

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tomorrow on WTF: Chris Rock. Here's a taste.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

FitFortDanga posted:

This will probably be awesome.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

There is no way that interview will ever be long enough to please me.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm a sporadic listener of Maron as well, and this is one of those times where I'm going to listen.

I wonder if Maron has the balls to call him out for having joke writers.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
This really sums up Maron's show:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Is having writers an evil thing? It doesn't seem so bad to me. Why not work with people. Chris Rock definitely has a style and point of view that's his, so it's not like he's some kind of puppet for the real genius behind the scenes.

• Locked thread