Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

For fucks sake. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Guillermus posted:

SGtMarkIV just released an alpha of BrutalStrife :stare:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6whcasdk79l602v

This is so unnecessary it hurts, and I love Brutal Doom.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
"Brutal X" is starting to sound like a meme at this point.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red_Mage posted:

With a dx10/11 rendering DLL and an updated launcher to allow for modern resolutions, UT99 could pass as a budget game made this year.

That engine is also a work of genius.

There was a project going for a while that essentially did just this. I'm not sure of the status currently though.

This thread is making me miss the days of OGL and Proving Grounds!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
waiting for Brutal Brutal Doom, where every gunshot is a fatality

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Also adds a suicide key that cases the Doomguy to try, and fail, to take his own life with a shotgun. The death animation is 7 hours long and accompanied by screams of agony recorded from an actual shotgun suicide attempt.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beef Assistant posted:

I'm getting some annoying mouse lag using eduke32. I've fixed the problem before but I don't remember how and I'm not finding anything helpful using google. Vsync's disabled, not sure what the deal is here.

Turn off mouse smoothing/mouse filtering and, if that doesn't help, 3d models.

JackMackerel posted:

That does remind me, I wish Wolfenstein (the remake everyone forgot about/is trying to forget) was a bit better polished. The powers were fun and the enemies were pretty cool, for the most part, and the weapons and upgrades were great. It just lacked... oomph.

In contrast, I thought Wolfenstein 2009 was excellent, probably my favourite "modern old-school" FPS. It probably got a bit of a boost in my esteem since I played it after Singularity, though, which I thought was pretty bad.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Reive posted:

This is so unnecessary it hurts, and I love Brutal Doom.

I agree. I can understand Brutal Hexen because is a game that relies heavily (depending on the class) on melee combat and he added the shield to the warrior making it more interesting. But for Strife? I don't get it because it wasn't mean to be a gory game like Doom was. That doesn't mean that there should be a Brutal Blood because holy poo poo I don't know what the gently caress would that game become.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guillermus posted:

I agree. I can understand Brutal Hexen because is a game that relies heavily (depending on the class) on melee combat and he added the shield to the warrior making it more interesting. But for Strife? I don't get it because it wasn't mean to be a gory game like Doom was. That doesn't mean that there should be a Brutal Blood because holy poo poo I don't know what the gently caress would that game become.

Brutal Blood would loop back around to being a nonviolent game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It would become Secret of the Magic Crystals or something like that :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

But for Strife? I don't get it because it wasn't mean to be a gory game like Doom was.

You sure about that? It's gorier than Doom on many point.

Unmodified Doom doesn't feature wounded enemies falling to their knees and holding their innards inside while crying in agony for a random amount of time before they finally bit it.

Strife also features several different death animations (normal, but also incineration, disintegration, and liquefaction), Mengeleian laboratory props, piles of sacrificed corpses, some body horror with peasants turning into monster cyborgs, cutting people's hands to use as keys, and giant flying polyps as the big bosses.

Also, the weapons are very annoying to use in the beginning (how many times must I stab that guy? why doesn't that crossbow bolt fly straight ahead?) and ridiculously overpowered at the end (incendiary grenades destroy everything except the spectres, Entity, and Crusader). They could do with a bit of rebalancing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
-snip dumb-

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Brutal Blood is a prolonged black-out period followed by you clawing your way out of a shallow grave. You will never see home again.

The one to watch out for is Rise of the Brutal Triad. It'll be a cult classic among true DOOM MURDER HEADS, while being overlooked by hardcore-casuals unable to appreciate the first accidental entry into the Splatter-Comedy FPS subgenre.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I'd like to think that Rise Of The Triad is actually just Brutal Wolfenstein 3D.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

In contrast, I thought Wolfenstein 2009 was excellent, probably my favourite "modern old-school" FPS. It probably got a bit of a boost in my esteem since I played it after Singularity, though, which I thought was pretty bad.

Oh, no, I loved it, was just mirroring all the critical reception (boo hiss etc.). I still insist the weapon upgrades were great and the enemies were fun to fight, it's just a shame it got rushed out and got bodyslammed by everyone.

Also, do we include Trespasser in being an Early FPS? :unsmith:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Oh, no, I loved it, was just mirroring all the critical reception (boo hiss etc.). I still insist the weapon upgrades were great and the enemies were fun to fight, it's just a shame it got rushed out and got bodyslammed by everyone.

Also, do we include Trespasser in being an Early FPS? :unsmith:

We include Half-Life, which came out later, so I'd say yes.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Aaronicon posted:

I'd like to think that Rise Of The Triad is actually just Brutal Wolfenstein 3D.

You know, I think I'd enjoy a Brutal Wolfenstein. The whole game's already about killing nazis.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I loved Wolfenstein 2009 (and RTCW) because the shooting was interesting and I kinda like the whole "Nazis try to use occultism/magic/whatever weird stuff" in order to win the WWII. You can pull some awesome killing sprees thanks to the powers you have and the weapons are awesome.

I played Singularity after Wolfenstein 2009 and think is decent, but is just even more mindless and feels generic in comparison. I got it during a sale and it was well worth the 9.99€ I paid. I think is because Raven gets the shooting parts of the games right but they are not really good at making plots interesting, basically Soldier of Fortune I/II. Now I'm wondering why none of the first two SoF games (Raven ones) made it on Steam or GOG.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I just completed "Putrifyer" after I found it on the Cacowards and that level really is amazing. The tension it builds through the music, atmosphere and level design is something else and it looks beautiful, like a Doom-3 that could have (and perhaps should have) been.

Honestly give it a try if you haven't.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Congrats Kins on your cacoward for Reelism!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LvK posted:

waiting for Brutal Brutal Doom, where every gunshot is a fatality

Where every bullet bleeds blood.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Yeah I dunno that sounds alright to me :toot:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Abandon All Hope posted:

There was a project going for a while that essentially did just this. I'm not sure of the status currently though.

This thread is making me miss the days of OGL and Proving Grounds!

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Its been a thing for a while. There are some hi res texture packs for individual games but, meh. The new renderer and the better resolution support it brings honestly make the game look great even if the textures are comparatively small.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Red_Mage posted:

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Its been a thing for a while. There are some hi res texture packs for individual games but, meh. The new renderer and the better resolution support it brings honestly make the game look great even if the textures are comparatively small.

Holy crap! Just tried it with Deus Ex and it's awesome, I smell a replay.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

You sure about that? It's gorier than Doom on many point.

Unmodified Doom doesn't feature wounded enemies falling to their knees and holding their innards inside while crying in agony for a random amount of time before they finally bit it.
Here's something that I know you could do in the original engine: when they are kneeling like that back up so they keep repeating that animation like you're describing. Now shoot them with the electric crossbow. They will lean back and a ridiculous amount of gibs will shoot out their torso. Strife already had a fatality, and I don't think Sgt Mark is going to catch it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
On the MP side of things, Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch is back with yet even more weapons and maps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73CSQidJH54

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

The Kins posted:

On the MP side of things, Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch is back with yet even more weapons and maps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73CSQidJH54

Guys, GUYS, I got it:-

BRUTAL MEGAMAN

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Guys, GUYS, I got it:-

BRUTAL MEGAMAN

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh, just noticed your avatar Kins, congratulations! Reelism is a great mod and that Cacoward is well deserved :woop:

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Congratulations on the cacoward for Reelism!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ya, definite congrats on that one, Reelism was a lot of fun.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

A very well deserved Cacoward. :golfclap:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Latest RoTT trailer for those interested!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XymGxTxU6Dc

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
How exactly would one go about replacing Brutal Doom v0.17's rifle sprites with Brutal Doom v0.18's? I really love the newer version, but I can't seem to figure out how to replace them.

At first, I thought you could basically extract the relevant v0.18 decoration files and drag/drop them into an extracted v0.17 (since the files are pretty much identically named, just different images), and then repack the mod, but that seems to break the whole mod for some reason--nothing Brutal Doom-related works afterward. I've also been instructed to repack .pk3s from the root directory (c:), but trying to do that causes 7Zip to flip out and refuse, citing that "access is denied" and that it can't open a .tmp version of the .pk3 file.

I just want Brutal Doom v0.17 with these rifle sprites :negative:

EDIT: Nevermind, v0.17's rifle seems very resistant to change. I've been swapping out sprites for everything else without any problems but the rifle really doesn't like trying to be changed to certain things for some inexplicable reason. I got v0.18 working in GZDoom (even though he says it's Zandronum-only) so gently caress it.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 27, 2012

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
As unlikely as it is I hope that Cacoward is actually some kind of physical trophy that you can display in your home, Kins. That way, when family and loved ones stop by you can proudly boast to them that you were recognized for making a mod for a decades-old violent video game out of blatantly-stolen resources from other games.

Also the trophy would be completely two-dimensional and always be facing the viewer regardless of the angle they are viewing it at (also also when can we expect the next release, I need to throw a brick at Mecha-Hitler like you wouldn't imagine).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How exactly would one go about replacing Brutal Doom v0.17's rifle sprites with Brutal Doom v0.18's? I really love the newer version, but I can't seem to figure out how to replace them.

At first, I thought you could basically extract the relevant v0.18 decoration files and drag/drop them into an extracted v0.17 (since the files are pretty much identically named, just different images), and then repack the mod, but that seems to break the whole mod for some reason--nothing Brutal Doom-related works afterward. I've also been instructed to repack .pk3s from the root directory (c:), but trying to do that causes 7Zip to flip out and refuse, citing that "access is denied" and that it can't open a .tmp version of the .pk3 file.

I just want Brutal Doom v0.17 with these rifle sprites :negative:

That's strange, dropping the sprites from one to the other should work fine. Are you using SLADE?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

That's strange, dropping the sprites from one to the other should work fine. Are you using SLADE?

Nope, not using SLADE. I updated my original post but I've managed to swap out sprites for everything else. The v0.17 rifle really doesn't seem to like being swapped out with certain sprites. I got the v0.18 test working with my precious Fluidsynth and GZDoom, so I'm going to give up the ghost.

EDIT: I'm liking some of the v0.18 changes so far. I haven't seen any enemies perform an evasive roll (probably because I'm using the Zandronum-plugin in GZDoom) but the weapon changes are very nice.

1. The Rifle has gotten some great new sprites and feels substantial enough to use, even when you're carrying every other weapon. I just love those goddamned iron-sights, though :allears:
2. The MP40 has had its RoF increased, putting it somewhere between the Rifle and Chaingun (and making it actually useful.)
3. The Mancubus Cannon can set areas on fire for short periods of time, which can damage nearby enemies, and seems to be better at outright incinerating lowly enemies. I've always had a soft spot for the weapon, but I think more people are going to end up using it for its expanded potential to be a sort of "area denial" weapon.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 27, 2012

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I never realised that one of the RoTT characters was called "I P Freeley". Oh my lawd!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In Brutal Doom, is there a way to get weapons like the grenade launcher in wads that don't have it without console commands? Vanilla Doom 2 comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reive posted:

Holy crap! Just tried it with Deus Ex and it's awesome, I smell a replay.

I can't wait to try this with the Deus Ex 'New Vision' retexture mod pack too...

:frogc00l: