Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Not just the fusing part. Playing persona 3, having a kid shoot themselves in the head while yelling "SATAN!!" on screen tops it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I hope to god this scene gets animated in the Golden anime. :allears:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Thanks for telling me about Trumpeter. Keeping Debilitate and Heat Riser up made the fight much more manageable. Not easy, but it only took me one try anyway.

This is the first time I've wanted to go back through a game (let alone an RPG) and Platinum it. And from what I understand since you can tweak money/XP there's no reason not to.

VVV I actually managed to get it this playthrough. I was skimming back and saw you had to hear all her lines in one playthrough. I guess I got lucky.

Also, the SOS/Voice thing. I'm assuming it was more useful when the game first came out? I don't think I ever got more than two people answering.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 18, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Enjoy that one Rise fan trophy. It's really a crapshoot whether you get it or not. I did 3 playthroughs actively trying to get it and never did, then I borrowed my vita to a friend and he got it on his first playthrough by accident.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ugh, gently caress that trophy. The quiz also sucks since it reset my progress when I quit halfway through the last one to do something else. Still haven't gone back to do that yet, it's not fun and I don't wanna go through the first couple again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can easily get the Rise trophy by using Teddie's final skill to inflict status ailments on all your party members, then just guarding for a while.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Terper posted:

You can easily get the Rise trophy by using Teddie's final skill to inflict status ailments on all your party members, then just guarding for a while.
There's still a decent amount of preparation and luck involved. For example you may screw yourself out of it if you overlevel and miss out on some lines that depend upon you being lower or equal to enemies. You also have to make an effort to use every party member.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So awhile back someone recommended getting a black frost, is there any skills i should try and get on it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As I recall he gets -dyne skills for both Agi and Bufu, so Ice and Fire Amp would be huge.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nate RFB posted:

As I recall he gets -dyne skills for both Agi and Bufu, so Ice and Fire Amp would be huge.

No, he only gets Agidyne. He does get Fire Amp eventually, so don't worry about that too much. Fire Boost could be worth it if you are trying to build a fire focused caster, since that stacks with the Amp.

Personally, I'd try and get a Mabufu/Mazio/Magaru on him, or Invigorate, or Growth... The key point being that a single element -dyne is sufficient for bosses. Black Frost has lovely enough resistances that you want to keep him around for general use to gain EXP. For clearing out mobs it's more useful to have cheap multi-target spells, or passive buffs.

I would want to level up Black Frost enough to get Agidyne before the next boss, if you are on the one I think you are on.

Getting a black frost with Auto-Sukukaja would help with Margret's requests.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 18, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

No, he only gets Agidyne. He does get Fire Amp eventually, so don't worry about that too much. Fire Boost could be worth it if you are trying to build a fire focused caster, since that stacks with the Amp.
I must be thinking of one of his starting Bufu skills that I later upgraded via Magician cards, because the Black Frost that I wound up using had both Agi/bufudyne and the corresponding Amps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think he starts with Bufula, so yeah you probably just got a skill upgrade card in shuffle time/fused it on/used a skill card.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

UberJumper posted:

I am really bad with saving, i usually go for a dozen or so days between saving.

Just so you know, real men take their two week loss in stride. Forgot to save before Tartarus in 3, run twenty floors and hit with Mudo? GET hosed, run every SLink again.

You're on Golden too, you have a VCR fast-forward ability. Use that poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Danbri posted:

Just so you know, real men take their two week loss in stride. Forgot to save before Tartarus in 3, run twenty floors and hit with Mudo? GET hosed, run every SLink again.

You're on Golden too, you have a VCR fast-forward ability. Use that poo poo.

Agreed. Accept nothing short of perfection.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I screwed up on the Death link and forgot about an event in January that takes place on Sunday and ended up with every one of them maxed but Death, which sat at nine. My closest save was in November. Sometimes things happen, you know? Going for perfection on the first run is a little much though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I screwed up on the Death link and forgot about an event in January that takes place on Sunday and ended up with every one of them maxed but Death, which sat at nine. My closest save was in November. Sometimes things happen, you know? Going for perfection on the first run is a little much though.

I was mostly joking. Perfection as in "max all S-Links" is unreasonable.

Unwanted outcomes like dating the wrong person though, is unnnnnnaaacceptable. :argh:

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
gently caress that, 100% that poo poo the first time through or you are Officially Playing Games Wrong and are fully deserving of any and all scorn you receive. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Griptape posted:

gently caress that, 100% that poo poo the first time through or you are Officially Playing Games Wrong and are fully deserving of any and all scorn you receive. :colbert:

M...my self esteem :negative:

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I was mostly joking. Perfection as in "max all S-Links" is unreasonable.

Unwanted outcomes like dating the wrong person though, is unnnnnnaaacceptable. :argh:

Sometimes things happen, yep. Sometimes you pick Yukiko in Vanilla before the game tells you anything about Naoto.

All's well in Golden though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She's on the front of the box and in the intro cutscene. Kinda on you there.

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
In all seriousness, good god, don't try to 100% an SMT game the first time through, it will turn you into an actual crazy person.

I'm maaaaaaybe speaking from experience.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

She's on the front of the box and in the intro cutscene. Kinda on you there.

To be fair, technically speaking, the fact that she's a girl is a spoiler.

Apparently it might be actually surprising in Japan, since women voicing young boys is fairly common over there, but here...please don't tell me you didn't see that coming.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 18, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Apparently it might be actually surprising in Japan, since women voicing young boys is fairly common over there, but here...please don't tell me you didn't see that coming.

To be fair, technically speaking, if you didn't figure that out way before the game told you you may have some kind of brain problem. :colbert:

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Manatee Cannon posted:

To be fair, technically speaking, if you didn't figure that out way before the game told you you may have some kind of brain problem. :colbert:

Well it wasn't like OH MY GODDD and the internet and Arena spoiled it first, but thanks guy, brain problems!

Anyway it don't even matter who likes Vanilla more anyway.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh, I know, but you can't really say 'Naoto is on the box and the opening!' when someone complains about accidentally dating Yukiko before he realizes Naoto is an option because the game is trying to trick you into thinking Naoto is male.

It's failing, yeah, but it's trying.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 18, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hellioning posted:

The Japanese VA pulled it off really well. The English dub didn't.

EDIT: technically maybe spoilers for uberjumper?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Oh, I know, but you can't really say 'Naoto is on the box and the opening!' when someone complains about accidentally dating Yukiko before he realizes Naoto is an option because the game is trying to trick you into thinking Naoto is male.

It's failing, yeah, but it's trying.

I know you did, I was kidding. But yeah you meet Naoto before you're even able to finish Chie or Yukiko's link and you get to hear her VA. It's completely obvious as soon as she opens her mouth and she's clearly a party member. Now, regretting a choice you made before you got to know the rest of the cast better I'd understand.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'm probably not going to do this until like the end of the week, but is the Reaper a pain in the rear end to hunt down because I've tried the whole counting chests method until I hear the chains and the jerk still isn't showing up. He was pretty easy to hunt down in vanilla and just seems more annoying to catch in Golden.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Danbri posted:

Sometimes things happen, yep. Sometimes you pick Yukiko in Vanilla before the game tells you anything about Naoto.

Why would you ever want to date Naoto though really.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know you did, I was kidding. But yeah you meet Naoto before you're even able to finish Chie or Yukiko's link and you get to hear her VA. It's completely obvious as soon as she opens her mouth and she's clearly a party member. Now, regretting a choice you made before you got to know the rest of the cast better I'd understand.

That was actually what I was saying, apologies it wasn't clear. The game actually did a very good job of making me dislike Naoto right off, especially with the "your little game will soon end" bit.

Terper posted:

That's the beautiful thing about this world we live in. Everybody has different likes.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Terper posted:

This question could be extended to anyone in the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Dating Naoto isn't what bros do.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I made a black frost with:

Maragion
Mabufu
Bufulua
Mazionga

Fire Amp
Ice Amp
Invigorate 1
Mind Charge

I tried everything and i couldn't get Mabufula on any of my guys. So i settled for Mabufu, and hopefully i get a skill upgrade card. I also could not for the life of me get wind on him. Is my black frost acceptable?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Danbri posted:

That's the beautiful thing about this world we live in. Everybody has different likes.
It's not about likes man it's about

Looper posted:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Danbri posted:

Do you care about Kanji at all you monster.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

It's a thing here too. Especially for anime.

It might have been surprising in 2008, but since then we have had plenty of follow on content that makes it clear she's a woman. The design works book even mentions they started drawing Naoto more feminine in post-release art work, giving her breasts and eyelashes

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Looper posted:

Look at this correct opinion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

I saw that study group scene, it's not like he has a chance anyway.

Dehry posted:

It's a thing here too. Especially for anime.

It might have been surprising in 2008, but since then we have had plenty of follow on content that makes it clear she's a woman. The design works book even mentions they started drawing Naoto more feminine in post-release art work, giving her breasts and eyelashes

I went in completely blind and it was obvious to me. :shrug: I don't really watch anime though so maybe the VA thing wouldn't be so obvious if that's just a thing that happens for male characters there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Even exclusively within the context of the S-Link dating Naoto seems like a bad move. Don't date Naoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

alcharagia posted:

Kanji's great, but Kanji waited. I didn't.

This game could actually use some Mass Effect 3 features, where party members may hook up if you don't first.

• Locked thread