Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Ah, servers. 'Man, it sucks, I have to pay taxes .'

gently caress that poo poo industry wide. Pay a wage.

I'm with you. The industry will chew you up and spit you out and move on to the next. I was just saying my restaurant made the decision for me to not auto grat any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Skwirl posted:

Look, when you have serious substance abuse issues and most of your income is cash, taxes loving suck.

Yeah, bitch to the guys in the kitchen who have to budget their binge drinking for payday instead of scamming cash off tables every night. :P

The Maestro posted:

I'm with you. The industry will chew you up and spit you out and move on to the next. I was just saying my restaurant made the decision for me to not auto grat any more.

I still want to run a place that proudly refuses gratuities and pays everyone a decent wage instead.

This is a pipe dream, and I'm out of the industry these days because there's no money to be had. :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, bitch to the guys in the kitchen who have to budget their binge drinking for payday instead of scamming cash off tables every night. :P

Based on my kitchen, I assumed y'all drank on the days you won money on dice, and if you lost you didn't drink.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

When most of my income was cash I paid taxes on almost none of it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't think this is seriously a discussion you want to start in the thread

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

I still want to run a place that proudly refuses gratuities and pays everyone a decent wage instead.

This is a pipe dream, and I'm out of the industry these days because there's no money to be had. :)

I hate feeling like I'm whoring myself out to get tips. I love being good at what I do and handling a high enough volume for it to add up to a decent wage. I love not paying taxes on my take home cash and getting an ok paycheck because I put in 40 hours. Yea tips keep me alive but it's not the reason I do what I do. I make consistently excellent drinks for 400 covers a night with a smile on my face because I thrive in the weeds. Having to expo the bar, build multiple drinks simultaneously, and talk to customers at the same time makes me happy. The tips are incidental, and they come because I'm loving good at what I do. Seeing somebody close their eyes and tilt their head back in contentment after sipping a perfect drink is better than any (most) tip I could get. Somebody sitting at my bar and watching with awe as I do my thing is an amazing feeling. When an older couple comes in because I make the best Manhattans in town, that warms my heart.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Reiz posted:

When most of my income was cash I paid taxes on almost none of it.

I realize that not claiming tips on taxes is a time honored tradition in this industry but I don't think people realize that it can come back to bite you in the rear end when it comes to getting unemployment/social security/a loan.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The only people in food service who live long enough to be eligible for Social Security can't stop to collect on it anyway, so gently caress it.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

You should also claim all your cash so those who you tip out get paid.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Secret Spoon posted:

Seriously this. Also round up with tipping out unless the person you're tipping out spent the whole evening in the salad station texting. (the fucker)

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
gently caress downtown festivals.

300 on the books and we're going to have a ton of walk ins tonight. Plus we did 500+ for lunch so we have nothing left prepped

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Crazy Larry posted:

I realize that not claiming tips on taxes is a time honored tradition in this industry but I don't think people realize that it can come back to bite you in the rear end when it comes to getting unemployment/social security/a loan.

I don't really see it to be honest, but I guess to be fair I wasn't a tipped employee for terribly long. Your taxable wages are at least minimum regardless, and at least in my experience you get about 50/50 cash tips vs credit card tips.

Obviously credit card tips are reported 100%. It's your job to report enough of your cash tips so that your employer doesn't have to comp your check because that's when it starts getting dicey and people start asking questions.

Secret Spoon posted:

Everywhere I've worked you tip out based on percentage of sales, not percentage of what you made that night. I'm tipping the bar 10% of my bar sales and I'm tipping the food runner crew 10% of food sales. My tips have nothing to do with it because I can lie about that if I really want to, and they fluctuate anyway.

I don't even know how you would tip the bar based on your tips you got from customers that ordered bar drinks, and the amount of effort it would take to sift through your bullshit just to figure that out would be completely unreasonable. And you can lie, so, let's be honest here that would never actually work in an actual restaurant setting, and then you'd have to do it all over again for expo and food runners.

I take my bar and food sales which are itemized on my end of day slip and move the demical over one.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 13, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Pyramid Alehouse in Berkeley closed with 24 hours notice last month. Employees received a severance package based on how long they had worked and their average wage including tips. Because some people claimed all their tips and some people never claimed any there were some hilarious cases where people missed out on multiple thousands of dollars on their severance. See also: disability insurance, unemployment, credit evaluations.

Claim your tips. It's not the 80s and you're not on a coke-fueled pirate ship anymore.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kenning posted:

It's not the 80s and you're not on a coke-fueled pirate ship anymore.

Then why do I have scurvy and a nosebleed

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kenning posted:

It's not the 80s and you're not on a coke-fueled pirate ship anymore.

Not with that attitude you aren't. :colbert:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Kenning posted:

The Pyramid Alehouse in Berkeley closed with 24 hours notice last month. Employees received a severance package based on how long they had worked and their average wage including tips. Because some people claimed all their tips and some people never claimed any there were some hilarious cases where people missed out on multiple thousands of dollars on their severance. See also: disability insurance, unemployment, credit evaluations.

Claim your tips. It's not the 80s and you're not on a coke-fueled pirate ship anymore.

I remembered another relevant situation - getting worker's comp in case of an injury. Sure would suck for your worker's comp benefits to be based off of your claimed tips of making just barely over minimum wage when really you were making $12/hr or whatever, but what are the chances of suffering a serious injury working in a restaurant?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Working the Sunday brunch and gearing up for the first Panthers game of the season, also I'm in Charlotte

Last night I dreamt of endless weeds

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Vicodin makes sunday brunch much easier than I had expected it to. Little fuzzy though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crazy Larry posted:

I remembered another relevant situation - getting worker's comp in case of an injury. Sure would suck for your worker's comp benefits to be based off of your claimed tips of making just barely over minimum wage when really you were making $12/hr or whatever, but what are the chances of suffering a serious injury working in a restaurant?

Exactly. Or if you ever want to take out a loan for anything. Hey, not to mention the fun times that come if you'Re using healthcare.Gov to score subsudized health insurance based on your paper income and the feds decide to audit your actual take home!

It just isn't worth the potential consequences to lie about essentially trivial amounts of money.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I DREAM THE FUTURE

It's been nothing but weeds since 11. This is the longest I've stopped and I'm using it to take a lava poo poo

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Exactly. Or if you ever want to take out a loan for anything. Hey, not to mention the fun times that come if you'Re using healthcare.Gov to score subsudized health insurance based on your paper income and the feds decide to audit your actual take home!

It just isn't worth the potential consequences to lie about essentially trivial amounts of money.

Where I work we fire people who don't claim everything. The only money I don't claim is the kick backs from my buddy who runs a taxi service.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

Where I work we fire people who don't claim everything. The only money I don't claim is the kick backs from my buddy who runs a taxi service.

How does management know if they claim everything?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

You can probably check their CC tips, calculate reported cash tips, average tips/server, etc. If Biff is consistently tanking on cash tips, average on CC tips, and reporting cash tips that are also consistently lower than everyone else despite a lack of guest complaints you can kind of guess. It can't be proven 100% but just like anything else, they don't need to prove it.

I've already had people tell me not to claim once i certify as a server, but as someone else said it's not worth any risk for small amounts of money - especially for me as a PT server.

So far I've memorized half the menu at this place, now I just need to memorize the other half plus some random things (that aren't followed) from the handbook before my test/mock on Tuesday. If I pass, I get certified as a server, make good money, and get a shirt that isn't big enough to wear as a dress. Not that I'm into that kind of thing, but if I was I'd have just enough length to cover my sexual identity. I think I'm going to love this job, but right now I'm very much appreciating how structured and hands-on P.F. Chang's did their training.

It really doesn't help that there are four different menu items that are nearly identical save for one ingredient. We have buffalo chicken wraps, buffalo chicken sandwiches, buffalo chicken salads, buffalo chicken cheesecake, buffalo chicken margaritas, buffalo chicken urinal cakes. :suicide:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The bigger question is why they care as long as servers report enough to not get the IRS interested.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

The bigger question is why they care as long as servers report enough to not get the IRS interested.

FOH people can claim whatever they want, how and when they report their earnings is no business of the employer. How and why their employer is firing people for not claiming is a lot more interesting.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Because it comes to be an enormous pain in the rear end when the next guy they fire tries to claim unemployment at his rate with tips and says he was told to claim less than he was bringing in when they ask why his paystubs don't reflect it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The manager told me I could cut out once I cleared the board. I immediately got five more tickets

I hate him

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

The manager told me I could cut out once I cleared the board. I immediately got five more tickets

I hate him

It seems like you might not be cut out for the industry.

Also would unemployment really give you compensation for tips? I just always assumed you'd get your hourly and that's it, or that collecting unemployment from a restaurant would be impossible anyways.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

The Maestro posted:

or that collecting unemployment from a restaurant would be impossible anyways.

It can be difficult in any right-to-work state, I've applied at three points and only gotten it once; in my experience, they have to royally screw up for you to be able to get unemployment. My only success with it was a verbal termination supported by absolutely no documentation of any wrongdoing whatsoever (because there was no wrongdoing and their reasoning was nearly as absurd as their method). The franchise owner kept appealing it for three years complaining I was fairly fired for X/Y/Z (I wasn't) and each time they asked "Do you have any supporting documentation? No? Go away."

This is why lots of stores/bosses like to do document writeups - even if they have no intention of firing you for what you're being written up for, it gives them paperwork that they can say, essentially, "He deserved it."

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

FOH people can claim whatever they want, how and when they report their earnings is no business of the employer. How and why their employer is firing people for not claiming is a lot more interesting.

Because the store can be hit with fines by the IRS. It has happened out here before, the restaurant in question ended up firing half its staff and a manager. Im not sure how it works at places that pay their staff cash every night, but if you are on the paycheck system and can grat larger parties, I highly suggest claiming your tips.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This is to say nothing of the fact that it benefits the industry to be taxed and regulated. An industry where everything is all cash, under the table, and tax-free is also a lot likelier to be an industry rife with labor violations, sexual harassment, and fly-by-night workers/jobs. We need to own up to the reality that the restaurant industry is becoming a proper career for lots of people, not just a summer job for college kids or a last resort of felons and substance abusers. Careers need to offer stability and predictability, and having a mature relationship with the IRS is part of that.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Shooting Blanks posted:

No.

quote:

As if the restaurant business was not hard enough, complying with IRS tip reporting rules is one of the most critical and important tasks facing restaurant owners! This is truer today than a decade ago as the IRS is accelerating its efforts to capture previously lost revenue in the form of income and FICA (Social Security & Medicare) tax. As a restaurant owner you should therefore be aware of your responsibilities regarding the reporting of your employee’s tips.

The bottom line is this… restaurant employees are required to report and pay taxes on all their wages including tips. Since most tipped employees receive a majority of their income in the form of “cash” tips, it is no wonder that they are reluctant to fully report this income. It is one of the reasons that working as a waiter in full service restaurant can be so appealing. Where else can many of these folks make a hundred plus dollars in cash for five or six hours of work? To make matters worse the restaurant owners are thrust in the middle because they are responsible for withholding Federal and State income tax from employee wages as well as the FICA tax. So the employer and employee are both caught up in the same conundrum, and each has its own tip-reporting responsibilities.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just had a cook quit because we kept ignoring his childish excuses for wanting to skip work, most recent one being a claim that he was stung by a bee as he was coming in and he felt "allergic."

What's the dumbest reason you've all heard for someone not wanting to work?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Republicans posted:

Just had a cook quit because we kept ignoring his childish excuses for wanting to skip work, most recent one being a claim that he was stung by a bee as he was coming in and he felt "allergic."

I had a busser call in because he ran out of gas on the freeway, which sucks, but it's a 6 hour shift, this isn't a problem that takes 6 hours to fix. Another time he called in because someone stole his car battery. Another time he accidently showed up 30 minutes early for his shift, left and then showed up an hour late with no explanation.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Republicans posted:

My prep help called out this winter because he couldn't get out of his driveway after a snowstorm. EC gifted him with a shovel upon his return the next day and offered to show him how to use it.

I live 1000' above work and 40 minutes away, have never called out or been late due to weather.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Republicans posted:

While a friend was chef at a hotel in wine country, BC he had a cook quit on him because the drive to the hotel was too uphill.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
All excuses to skip work are valid. I don't think it's childish to have a part of your soul want very badly to escape the next ten hours of horror that the dead part of your soul has resigned itself to face.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
^this exactly^

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

One of our servers got cut one night, left after shots with the bartender she was trying to date because she was drunk, vanished off the face of the planet until someone saw her on the list of arrests in the paper.

Apparently DUI number four means jailtime. She got back out six months later and called about getting her job back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

This is to say nothing of the fact that it benefits the industry to be taxed and regulated. An industry where everything is all cash, under the table, and tax-free is also a lot likelier to be an industry rife with labor violations, sexual harassment, and fly-by-night workers/jobs. We need to own up to the reality that the restaurant industry is becoming a proper career for lots of people, not just a summer job for college kids or a last resort of felons and substance abusers. Careers need to offer stability and predictability, and having a mature relationship with the IRS is part of that.

this.

I hate that 80% of the time I see people bitching about pay in the industry, it's a loving server bitching about their gigantic goddamn tips - which they probably don't even report as income. I don't know what the solution is, other than building gratuity into the cost of food/drink, and tipping out universally (which as I understand is not even legal) - or not tipping out at all and paying a living wage. but apparently servers bitch even more about this because net/net they wouldn't make as much getting paid this way because "taxes" and "wahh its my tips" or whatever. meanwhile back of house gets paid $8-12/hr with no tip and you bet your rear end they're paying taxes on all of it ......... as if that's fair or even anything other than obscene.

I mean jesus. I know industry sucks and it's a Fact Of Life or whatever, but there has to be a better way forward.

• Locked thread